Patriots fans jaws will hit the floor on draft day #1...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Patriots fans jaws will hit the floor on draft day #1...

From Boston .com article RB spilling over with tallent"...

At the NFL combine, Spiller ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds, displaying the speed that helped him return five kicks for touchdowns in 2009.

“He’s tremendously fast, electrifying as a runner, receiver, and return man,’’ Kiper said. “He’s considered to be one of the best character guys Clemson has ever had and the ACC has ever had in any player. The kid really is tremendous from a character standpoint.’’

I've said all along that there is going to be a big move to go get RB CJ Spiller and to do it they will have to go up somewhere in the 8 to 11th pick area and they can do it several ways one of which doesn't involve using the Patriots other first round pick at #22 but does move one of their picks in 2011's first round.  CJ is so explosive and so versatile and so high character that if that was where it ended it would be good bet the Patriots were going to draft him. Add to that they need RB help and they need someone who can play the slot to help out till Welker returns to 100% and he can do that and more, dont forget he is an amazing return man another position we need help at.

Add all that to "Dabo" (Clemson coaches nickname) being a good friend of BB's and BB being a mentor to him and it is almost impossible to believe they would not pick him up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Patriots fans jaws will hit the floor on draft day #1...

You know the defensive positions we need are so deep with first round tallent we can get a DE/OLB for example with our 53rd pick that has just as much a chance being the best DE/OLB in the draft as one picked in the first round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

wemight not get spiller, and if so we will get either Dez Bryant, Jahvid Best, or Demaryious Thomas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As much as I love Spiller I hate to move up so much for a position that wasn't a glaring weakness like pass rush was the last couple years (though you might have a case with Maroney). I wouldn't complain if we got Spiller, I'd prefer a defensive beast like JPP in that range. I don't know, JPP seems like such a huge talent in a major weakness while there's a RB like Spiller almost every year. I'm just thinking that with Oak's pick next year 1 more year of Maroney/Faulk/Taylor/Morris wouldn't be so bad if we got a shot at Ingram or any other top rb coming out next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I want a RB this year, but I dont want to move up for one.  Best in the 2nd if we want a spiller type, otherwise Dwyer or Gerhart if we want power.  Keep all the picks! and use them this year!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

PatsEng... in general I agree there is usually a RB with his tallent that comes up every year or so but you have to have the bullet(s) to go get him and the Patriots do this time and I disagree that it isn't a position of need. Faulk who is the best RB we have is a year from retirement, and Maroney is cheap but not a great back and Taylor and Morris and Faulk are all in their mid 30's. Add to that that CJ can play Slot, return kicks and is also very HIGH character and through Dabo I am betting BB has vetted him more then any other player.

I know people say if we moved up that high JPP is the guy and I agree he is a stud but they can get a guy like CJ early and still have their pick at 22 to go get a guy like Hughes or Graham that statisticly has just as much of a chance to be a bust or a superstar.

I just don't think when you have the bullets available to them the Patriots have that you don't use them in a draft that is this deep with tallent.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Mordecai... we don't have to give up 22 to get CJ... we can get him by using a second round pick and next years extra first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

While I'm not dismissing the idea, when was the last time BB or the Patriots drafted signed a small RB?
    With the draft having the ideal Patriots back, big with speed why would they give up picks to get a potential only 3rd down back?  RB is a position that most are a bit worried about picking early specially smaller guys.  Yes he's an amazing talent but can't you get a similar back in Best in the 2nd?  I rather have Matthews at 22, Gerhart at 44, Tate at 53 or Alfonso Smith in the 6th or 7th.

Spiller is great but maybe not in this scheme, I really like Smith to come in cheap and help in the return game and learn from faulk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

And this is what Spiller, Best or any other RB will see if the Oline isn't improved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

dablade, in regards to "I just don't think when you have the bullets available to them the Patriots have that you don't use them in a draft that is this deep with tallent."

No, it is the opposite.  Because there is so much depth and talent, u use all of your picks and get more great players. It is about the quantity of great players this year. If the draft quality sucked, I would agree with u totally.  That is when u move up, grab the rare elite guy and go for the "sure thing" (yes I know in drafting there is no sure thing).  A perfect example is the year the Jets moved up for Revis, he is a stud and was rated the best CB that year ahead of Leon Hall.  They put their eggs in one basket and got a stud, our draft meanwhile was, well...we all know our picks that year. 
    Not to mention if it wasnt for his concussion I think Best would be the stud Rb of this draft.  He is similar in size, faster etc.  But the injury is why he will drop to rd 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mordecai - In all fairness to DaBlade that concussion is a huge concern for a rb that small. But I agree if you are drafting for Faulk's replacement you don't move up so much for Spiller you hold out till the 2nd for Best.

DaBlade - I hear you but as Mordecai pointed out the difference between Best and Spiller isn't huge (though I like Spiller more) and even though as of right now the difference in performance between a JPP and say Hughes and Graham isn't large JPP has the body and frame to add a bit more weght and be a 6'6" OLB setting the edge and putting his hand down too. Graham and Hughes have great motors but will never have that pure size and speed that BB dreams about in OLB's. If we could give up a 2nd and our 1st next year to move up to #10 I would gladly take JPP then be more willing to take a risk on a player like Best in the 2nd.

How would a draft like this look to you:

#10 JPP
    #22 Odrick
    #44 Best
    #47/53 Williams/Veldheer (Williams preferred but if gone Veldheer)

Or even better in my mind if we could convince a team like Buf to trade their 2nd and 3rd for #22 to grab Tebow we could have a draft of:

#10 JPP
    #41 Williams/Thomas
    #44 Carrington/Houston
    #47/53 Veldheer/Vladmire
    #72 McCluster/Hardesty/Tate/McKnight (preferred in that order)

I know McCluster will prob be gone before 72 but that would be a dream draft for me

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots fans jaws will hit the floor on draft day #1...:
    While I'm not dismissing the idea, when was the last time BB or the Patriots drafted signed a small RB? With the draft having the ideal Patriots back, big with speed why would they give up picks to get a potential only 3rd down back?  RB is a position that most are a bit worried about picking early specially smaller guys.  Yes he's an amazing talent but can't you get a similar back in Best in the 2nd?  I rather have Matthews at 22, Gerhart at 44, Tate at 53 or Alfonso Smith in the 6th or 7th. Spiller is great but maybe not in this scheme, I really like Smith to come in cheap and help in the return game and learn from faulk.
    Posted by Pats7393

People were saying the same thing about Bill drafting a MLB high, and then he took Jerod Mayo at #10. Just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he won't. I agree that Jahvid Best would be similar to Spiller, but I would still take Spiller any day. How many RB's do you see that can catch the ball 50 yars down the field? Let alone the track type speed after he has the ball in his hands. Spiller would be taking Welker's place on punt returns too. I wouldn't be surprised if they no longer have Welker do returns after he is back to health. I think that whatever team gets Spiller, he is gonna surprise people. Who knows, maybe if the Pats traded up for him, they could get his teammate, Ricky Sapp, in the 2nd round. However, I don't think that a team will trade away their first round pick this year for a first next year. It would probably take our first this year and a second.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

IMHO Best is the better of the 2, hes faster and has amazing quickness and can truck people... even tho Spilly might have the same things, im just saying i like Best better and we can get him at 44 if hughes is gone

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

IMHO Best is the better of the 2, hes faster and has amazing quickness and can truck people... even tho Spilly might have the same things, im just saying i like Best better and we can get him at 44 if hughes is gone
    Posted by TateGroup

The big thing with Best is that concussion he suffered last year. Speed wise, I think that the combine 40 times were reallly suspect this year. They seemed to keep messing them up. I think the speed factor is a wash between the two. Spiller is one of the all time leaders in all purpose yards in NCAA history. I don't know as if Best will be there with our picks in the 2nd. Detroit seems to be interested in him. I won't be surprised if he goes in the first handfull of picks in the 2nd, or even the bottom of the first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

why would a team trade a first in a strong draft for a first in next years likely weak draft?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpatriot12. Show patpatriot12's posts

Forget RB this year, go D with higher picks and go get the RB from Alabama next year with the pick we got from Oakland (should be top 10).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

With all the holes on defense we're going to trade up for a RB?  Zero chance of this happening.  If Belichick wants a RB he'll take on later on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

And this is what Spiller, Best or any other RB will see if the Oline isn't improved.
    Posted by HRK103
    ..absolutely right. Skill positions are useless unless the line is solid. The D line needs shoring up too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

My Dream Draft:

#10 JPP
    #41 Jerry Hughes
    #44 Vlad Ducasse
    #47/53 Gronkowski
    #72 Hardesty

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

With all the holes on defense we're going to trade up for a RB?  Zero chance of this happening.  If Belichick wants a RB he'll take on later on.
    Posted by 123meg

Zero chance huh? Tell us more.... You must be in the Patriots front office helping with the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Just common sense. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

LeGarrette Blount can be had in the 4th round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots fans jaws will hit the floor on draft day #1... : Zero chance huh? Tell us more.... You must be in the Patriots front office helping with the draft.
    Posted by nightrider495

Yeah, Zero chance is a tad over zealous.  The probability is quite low.  There is just too much defensive talent out there this year.  A good time to re-energize that side of the ball.   Trading up to get Jason Paul-Pierre, and then hopefully getting Hughes would truly kick up their pass rush.   Banta-Cain had a career sack year last season.  I doubt he will repeat that effort ( No Tampa bay on the schedule - 4 of his 10).

Recall Henne carving up that secondary last season for 300+ .  Now, add Marshall to his available weapons, plus another year of experience for him and his young receiving corp.   Plus, sanchez will have a much improved attack by year end.   Outside of their division,  The Ravens have supersized their passing attack.  The Chargers have a big time passing attack.  

CJ Spiller would be a flashy pick, but not what is truly needed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Pats need to add some good players with attitude!  I think that Dez Bryant should be a 1st round target and LaGarrette Blount in the 4th round (as DWhite suggested).  The second round should be all about defense, unless BB has some plan for Tim Tebow, then maybe they spend a 2nd round pick on him. 

In addition to Dez Bryant, they should give Randy Moss a 1-year extension on his current deal. 

I'm not worried about trouble-makers going to Miami where there are plenty of distractions that lead to trouble and disrupt a team.

I'm also not worried about the loud-mouth Jets either!  They'll be too concerned about looking good for the cameras to truly prepare for the season.  Just like the Cowboys with T.O. a few years ago.  This year, the loud mouth receiver will be played be a fat white man everyone calls coach!

Pats are still the team to beat!!!