Patriots Franchising Wilfork??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Patriots Franchising Wilfork??

Unfortunately, this will be the headline in the coming weeks. If the patriots wanted to sign him long term they wouldve done it during training camp back in june. Or they wouldve done it during the season. They know the economics of the NFL and with the uncapped year and two franchise tags to play with. The patriots will franchise Wilfork which will turn into a chain of events.

Order of Events
    1. Patriots Franchise Wilfork
    2. Wilfork will hold out - demand a trade or threaten to not report
    3. Patriots will then trade him for a 1st round pick in 2010

Patriots will have 2 first round picks in 2010 along with their 3 second round picks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Re: Patriots Franchised Wilfork

Sorry to have wasted my time on your opinion.
    Not that you aren't allowed to have one, I just thought you actually were posting actual information that you either heard or read rather than your take on how you think the situation will play out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

There needs to be a "Truth in Thread Titles Act" for this board.  I knew it was too early to franchise anyone, but the latest fad on this board seems to be naming your thread as if it is a statement of fact, and not a question or discussion point.  Before long we'll probably see thread creators pay for popup ads to draw people to their threads.  

Not ragging on any one person, a lot of people are doing this.  I'm probably in the minority who finds it annoying to go to a thread that purports to state a fact, only to find it just a discussion.  I don't throw anything in my office, or lose any sleep, but I do think "snake oil salesman".

But yes, I do agree with your scenario, although I'm not so sure about the trade part for a 1st round pick this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This is an uncapped year.  Future NFL negotiations almost certainly won't penalize the Patriots for running way over the cap.

Franchising Wilfork for one year is one option.  More likely, the Patriots will structure Wilfork's new contract to pay out huge against the (nonexistent) cap in 2010, with far lesser amounts payable in 2011 and beyond.

If the Pats can sign Wilfork to something long, they keep the franchise tag for somebody else. 

Elsewhere in the NFL, in this uncapped year teams will be dumping all sorts of deadbeat stars.  The Patriots will be picking these stars up, because other teams like Baltimore, the Jets, Indy and S.D. probably can't touch them under the final 8 rule.  So, maybe BB doesn't even need Wilfork at the wrong price. 

Expect the next 5 months to be crazy, with all new rules, and expect Jonathan Kraft to win some victories in the offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raa5150. Show raa5150's posts

if they let Mankins and Wilfork walk this team will be like an expansion team with a Hall of Fame quarterback. Brady will be history when his contract is up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Boston-Kyle your an informed fan so i'm not trying to single you out, but PLEASE no more misleading thread titles guys.  Obviously it's a few weeks to early for franchise tags to be assigned, but still this is getting kinda ridiculous.  That being said, I fear that your conclusion is correct, as vital as 'fork is to the D I have serious doubts about him coming back...Things will get very messy if they hit Wilfork with the tag, he's been a consummate pro since day one and has played his contract out in good faith, I'd really hope that they could work some long term deal out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Maybe they were waiting for the uncapped year to sign Wilfork.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from G0Pats. Show G0Pats's posts

MVPKilla I agree he wont hold out if he is franchised. His entire salary will be guaranteed and it will be a hefty salary at that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Patriots Franchising Wilfork??

am with chuck. i just don't think you'll get two first round picks for vw. as you said, check, he's not that great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Patriots Franchising Wilfork??

going into 2010 without a players agreement allows teams to franchise 3 players instead of the normal two.  That's what the Pats and other teams will do to get by in an uncapped year.  If no agreement is made by 2011 it will be a lock out year.  The quality of FAs should be low.