Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed

Has anyone seen this?

When I first read rumours from the PFW I just figured it was nonsense. The usual nonsensical stuff where every Free Agent gets linked with the Patriots. But I just saw this news story

And it confirms that the Patriots are one of three teams along with Bears and Redskins that has contacted Johnson. And if Johnson wants to play for a winning organization the choice amongst those 3 is obvious.

This is starting to sound less fluff and more like there's some actual activity going on. Obviously a deal isn't done till it's done but I would say the chances of Larry Johnson, having cleared waivers and it being confirmed that the Patriots have contacted him, are more than 50-50. This is significant development.

Anyone care to speculate how we intend to make a roster spot for him. Maybe Taylor is out for the year and more serious than we thought. Maybe the Law Firm isn't the stud people made him out to be in pre-season and will be cut. Not sure what's going on here exactly........... this is exciting stuff!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed

Cutting BJGE.

Both he, and LJ at the worst, are (in the words of Bob Ryan, a reliable 3.5.

But at least LJ has a ceiling based on prior production.

Otherwise, putting one of the other RB's on the shelf for the year makes some sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Don't think it will happen unless we lose another RB to injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If anyone gets cut it would be from the only position of the team with an abundance of players. We have 6 CBs on the roster, if anyone is getting cut it's going to be from that position. 

I don't see the Patriots bringing in LJ, Maroney is starting to improve, Sammy is coming back, Faulk is the best at his position --3rd down back--, and we barely use Benny. Assuming we get Fred back this year, that will make 3 starting RBs on this team. Fred Taylor was doing just fine running out of the spread HB draw, I can just see him running the plays with the blocks Maroney has had in recent weeks. He will do fine. LJ won't be a Patriots- Sorry guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed:
    [QUOTE]If anyone gets cut it would be from the only position of the team with an abundance of players. We have 6 CBs on the roster, if anyone is getting cut it's going to be from that position.  I don't see the Patriots bringing in LJ, Maroney is starting to improve, Sammy is coming back, Faulk is the best at his position --3rd down back--, and we barely use Benny. Assuming we get Fred back this year, that will make 3 starting RBs on this team. Fred Taylor was doing just fine running out of the spread HB draw, I can just see him running the plays with the blocks Maroney has had in recent weeks. He will do fine. LJ won't be a Patriots- Sorry guys.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

This is nothing more than wishful thinking. maroney had a couple of decent games. BFD. When he's had enough decent games to put up a 1000 yard season, maybe we could depend on him for something but that's never happened and never will happen.

As we now see, there's reasons why BJGE doesn't play.

Morris is clearly not a feature back, neither is faulk. he's a is a very good 3rd down back, nothing more. Taylor, when and if he's ready to play, is going to take several games to get back into football shape. Don't depend on him for anything until maybe the last couple of games. Then, who knows, with his history, he can go out for the rest of the season on any play.

Face it, we're very thin at RB. We need to spend whatever it takes to get a top rated back in the 2010 draft but meantime, johnson gives us some options for the rest of 2009.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

All of you seem to be missing the fact that it has been confirmed the Patriots have contacted him. It's not idle speculation. If Johnson agrees to the Patriots terms and wants to join.............. then he WILL become a Patriot. What seems to be the confusion here?

This has gone beyond the "Patriots don't want him". It has been confirmed they do. Now it's more like "Will LJ accept Patriots' likely strict terms and conditions". 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed:
    [QUOTE]........... this is exciting stuff!!!!
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

2.7 ypc is "exciting"?  You need to get out more.

The guy is done, just like LT2. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed : This is nothing more than wishful thinking. maroney had a couple of decent games. BFD. When he's had enough decent games to put up a 1000 yard season, maybe we could depend on him for something but that's never happened and never will happen. As we now see, there's reasons why BJGE doesn't play. Morris is clearly not a feature back, neither is faulk. he's a is a very good 3rd down back, nothing more. Taylor, when and if he's ready to play, is going to take several games to get back into football shape. Don't depend on him for anything until maybe the last couple of games. Then, who knows, with his history, he can go out for the rest of the season on any play. Face it, we're very thin at RB. We need to spend whatever it takes to get a top rated back in the 2010 draft but meantime, johnson gives us some options for the rest of 2009.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

"As we now see, there's reasons why BJGE doesn't play. " 

What are those reasons?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

i think a reason is he isnt all that good

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Don't think it will happen unless we lose another RB to injury.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Please caraway, don't go invoking those names, especially that last one.  Let's just enjoy this moment of peace when they appear to be gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

[QUOTE]All of you seem to be missing the fact that it has been confirmed the Patriots have contacted him. It's not idle speculation. If Johnson agrees to the Patriots terms and wants to join.............. then he WILL become a Patriot. What seems to be the confusion here? This has gone beyond the "Patriots don't want him". It has been confirmed they do. Now it's more like "Will LJ accept Patriots' likely strict terms and conditions". 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

I think that with a new team, which has one of the better offensive lines in football, Johnson could be a solid pickup. Look at how many players in the league switch teams and then break out. I'm not saying it will happen, but it is very possible. We have proof of that concept on our team right now, and in the past with Dillon. If the Pats are interested, then Bill must think he has plenty left in the tank.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots interested in Johnson - confirmed : Please caraway, don't go invoking those names, especially that last one.  Let's just enjoy this moment of peace when they appear to be gone.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Changed per your wishes Mighty.  BTW, the latter has ben added to my crawler tool that auto-reports LeonOgah.  You must admit, you see a lot less of them now, and even when you do, it's only for a short while.  That guy will get the same treatment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"The Bears, Patriots and Redskins have called to express interest in Johnson, league sources told La Canfora"

"All of you seem to be missing the fact that it has been confirmed the Patriots have contacted him."

Dude/Dudette your joking, right?   Nameless, Faceless sources are not proof of confirmation without hard evidence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

anyone listeng to bel in his own words, would know that there has always been interest. he is an open book once u grasp his subtleties. if not interested, he says point blank... "we like our guys so i dont see how that fits in with what we are doing... there has been no contact and i dont anticipate one... there is no story here." he doesnt want to be bombarded with those questions so he ends it quickly when not interested with definitive statementsif interested, like with peppers... he spells out the exact steps that have to be taken on their (peppers) part for him to even consider it. or "if they want to contact us, who knows, u can never say never, we are potentially interested in everyone out there... ... with LJ, jason taylor and others he may want, he keeps it open not wanting to isolate or hurt the feelings of that player.  he has said repeatedly said "this week our focus is on the colts but..." or i just heard about that (him being cut), thats something we'll have to review internally. or most telling, when he started talking about the process as he did with peppers. first, we'll have to see if he goes through waivers, frankly i dont think we'll get a shot because there likely will be a competition among teams with worse records who have precedence.. if for some reason, he clears waivers, it is something we will have to look at because LJ has been a major force in this league for a long time bla bal... we'll have to consider where he could help us and fit in with us... I have seen nothing on the field that would disqualify him with us... 

when asked point blank about how he views "troubled" players a la maoss and dillon, he has said "i dont put a lot of stock in all the chatter or in what kinds of trouble they have gotten into or not... i first try to find someone with us who knows him or has played with him.. i put most stock in that.. also, how he interviews once we chat or i see him. Law firm is toast. with morris, we have our full back. connolly can be the injury spare part. LJ can be the primary backup to maroney, pushing him or taking his place if he stumbles or gets hurt per usual. this way taylor can get fully healthy, stay on the inactive list throughout the playoffs in case of injury or necessity. i dont see a downside. LJ is better than BJE, thats all that matters. one year vet deal at the maximum. no down side! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NU-Griff. Show NU-Griff's posts

Id rather have Grandmama Larry Johnson on our team.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

I hope they stay away. He is (was) talented, but he's not a hard worker, and obviously thinks his sht doesn't stink. Three coaches have had issues with him. I know Cox, Dillon, Moss were all guys that rehabbed their reps in NE, but let somebody else fix this guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Grandmama was a beast!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats have gotten players with questionable character but lots of talent like Moss and Dillion.  They have also had guys low on talent but with character to make up for it(Seau or Bruschi thier last couple of years).  It seems like Johnson has niether.