Patriots-Jets Matchup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Patriots-Jets Matchup

Thoughts, people?

Will the loss of both Wilfork, Mayo, and Talib (maybe) change the game/gameplan?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Patriots-Jets Matchup

Defensively they better be ready for 30+ runs between the tackles. Without Vince & Kelly it will be difficult to keep the O lineman of the Jet's from getting to the 2nd level keeping them off the LB's. The safeties better be ready to stop the run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

A different fan asked a great question in a different thread - who plays the Mike? Spikes or Hightower?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Defensively they better be ready for 30+ runs between the tackles. Without Vince & Kelly it will be difficult to keep the O lineman of the Jet's from getting to the 2nd level keeping them off the LB's. The safeties better be ready to stop the run.

[/QUOTE]

Spikes will prolly get more snap because Mayo is out....and Spikes is pretty good at the run.  it will be interesting to see how aggressive he will be when choosing which gap he anticipates the runner will go through.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spikes will prolly get more snap because Mayo is out....and Spikes is pretty good at the run.  it will be interesting to see how aggressive he will be when choosing which gap he anticipates the runner will go through.

[/QUOTE]

Not worried about Spikes ability. Assuming Kelly does not play my concern is with the ability of guys like vellano, jones, forston to keep the O-lineman from getting to the 2nd level and keeping them off spikes and hightower.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Last week, the Steelers chose to attack Geno Smith with a trio of LBs - Woodley, Worilds and Jones. Santonio Holmes was out with a hammy annd Geno was like a deer caught in headlights all game long. I think both Spikes and Fletcher (would really like to see him get more reps in Mayo's absence) come up the middle aggressively, and Higtower and Collins set the edge or drop back on pass coverage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have watched Hightower now for 1.5 years. I really think on this defense he is miscast. I see Hightower and I see James Harrison. Guy is 270-275 pounds, fast and quick. I like him jamming TE's at the LOS. But, I would love to see BB cut him loose and get after the QB. Wont happen in the D unless they move Hightower to the LOS. Dont get me wrong, cant find fault with Nink's production...but I would love to see Chandler, Hightower and Buchanon rotation coming off the edge after the QB.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Jets strength is their d-line (Pats o-line needs to have a good game), not their coverage, so spread them out and let TB get rid of it quickly. Pats showed they could spread the field at the end of the last game with the guys available. Hit a couple of screen passes (catch the ball Bolden) to soften up the pass rush. Put some points on the board early. Stop the run, force the Jets into a passing game, and get pressure on Geno.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

Not worried about Spikes ability. Assuming Kelly does not play my concern is with the ability of guys like vellano, jones, forston to keep the O-lineman from getting to the 2nd level and keeping them off spikes and hightower.

[/QUOTE]

very good point. Obviously they can't replace Wilfork and have been overachieving since Wilfork went on IR. What they're missing in bulk and brute strength, they're making up in quickness?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jets strength is their d-line (Pats o-line needs to have a good game), not their coverage, so spread them out and let TB get rid of it quickly. Pats showed they could spread the field at the end of the last game with the guys available. Hit a couple of screen passes (catch the ball Bolden) to soften up the pass rush. Put some points on the board early. Stop the run, force the Jets into a passing game, and get pressure on Geno.

[/QUOTE]

We had a really tough time running during the first game, only 55ish yards; which made us pretty one dimensional. It would be great if the RB corp could run effectively enough to set up play action/passing. If they spread out - Thompkins and Collie had better be ready to catch the ball.  I don't think Dobson is quick enough and runs routes crisply enough.

On the defensive side of the ball - what kind of Base will the Patriots play - and who's going to be the starting front 7?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Honestly I'm not overly worried about the Jets run game. Their RBs aren't all that good even without Wilfork and Mayo up the middle, and their OL I don't think can get enough push even against smaller DT's like Vellano and Jones. One thing I'd look for is when Wilfork went down you saw a lot of Spikes essentially running gap blitzes to compensate for the lack of a 2 gap DT. I'd expect the same in this game. If Spikes guess right it's a sure tackle for a lose. If he guess wrong I's expect Gregory or Hightower to be in the next level waiting to pick up the hole. The name of the game imo will be contain on Smith. Geno is a lot like Sanchez where if you keep him in the pocket he'll eventually shoot himself in the foot. I'd use Buchanan or Nink as an outside spy blocking off one side and rush Jones from the other. Since Geno is right handed if he has to escape to Nink side to escape Jones he has to throw across his body for the vast portion of the field on the run which will lead to turnovers.

O might be a challenge as the Jets have a very good DL and I don't think Ridley or Blount will be able to run between the tackles. I'd load up with screens to take advantage of the overly aggressive Jets line and use play action as their Ss tend to bit a lot. Their CB's are also a weak point so instead of crossing the middle of the field where they can load in 2 to 3 DB's into a coverage zone I would try to seperate the DB's and try to create 1v1 situations with a number of hooks and curls to give Dobson and Thompkins a chance to make a play after the catch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Misdirection, screens, delayed draws, quick slants and high tempo to tire out the Jets D-line without substitution. Collie and Edelman will be featured more with Dobson and Thompkins to follow. This will be a tough game in Meadowlands but Pats should win, even with the defense being decimated.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Honestly I'm not overly worried about the Jets run game. Their RBs aren't all that good even without Wilfork and Mayo up the middle, and their OL I don't think can get enough push even against smaller DT's like Vellano and Jones. One thing I'd look for is when Wilfork went down you saw a lot of Spikes essentially running gap blitzes to compensate for the lack of a 2 gap DT. I'd expect the same in this game. If Spikes guess right it's a sure tackle for a lose. If he guess wrong I's expect Gregory or Hightower to be in the next level waiting to pick up the hole. The name of the game imo will be contain on Smith. Geno is a lot like Sanchez where if you keep him in the pocket he'll eventually shoot himself in the foot. I'd use Buchanan or Nink as an outside spy blocking off one side and rush Jones from the other. Since Geno is right handed if he has to escape to Nink side to escape Jones he has to throw across his body for the vast portion of the field on the run which will lead to turnovers.

O might be a challenge as the Jets have a very good DL and I don't think Ridley or Blount will be able to run between the tackles. I'd load up with screens to take advantage of the overly aggressive Jets line and use play action as their Ss tend to bit a lot. Their CB's are also a weak point so instead of crossing the middle of the field where they can load in 2 to 3 DB's into a coverage zone I would try to seperate the DB's and try to create 1v1 situations with a number of hooks and curls to give Dobson and Thompkins a chance to make a play after the catch.

[/QUOTE]

In the Jets wins, they ran the ball well - to limit the number of possessions by opponents offense and let their D keep the game close?

I think you're right about some of the type of passing that you're describing - except screens are only successful if the Jets D overpursue or are too aggressive. If their DL can get pressure on Brady using only 3-4 guys - it will be a tough game offensively for the Patriots - and they've played us tough on the run game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Misdirection, screens, delayed draws, quick slants and high tempo to tire out the Jets D-line without substitution. Collie and Edelman will be featured more with Dobson and Thompkins to follow. This will be a tough game in Meadowlands but Pats should win, even with the defense being decimated.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

[/QUOTE]

Although Collie had two very significant receptions last game, I'd expect that he is still putting extra work on his treerouts/playbook.  Although he did a great job last game - realistically, he doesn't have the playbook down yet - and Brady will have to help him along.  There are bound to be some mistakes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I'm not too worried about the game - the woeful Steelers beat the Jets pretty good last week. I actually think Smith might turn out to be pretty good someday, but even with injuries, I like the Pats D against the Jets O, and the Pats O really has something to build on from last week. 

It will be interesting to see how BB plans for this game...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Starting front 7 to look like this?

Nink                     Vellano                      Jones

Collins                         Spikes                      Hightower                  Fletcher

Is Kelly playing?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Jets ranked #1 in run defense

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/scouting_the_new_york_jets.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The big secret here is the O Line and from there it's how the Jets secondary cannot match up in coverage. If the protection is there, Brady will have a field day.  Big Ben shredded them last week and that's with a weaker O Line, weaker RBs and a weaker spread of WRs, even with Antonio Brown and Sanders. Everyone knew where the ball was going for the Jets, and they still couldn't stop it.  

Their secondary blows as do their LBS in coverage.  Get a run game going and then open up the playaction.  Ball game.

We may have rookie WRs and whatnot but their back end is awful. Don't turn it over, play good field position and they should pull away.

They're going to try to hammer the rock to give Geno Bust a chance. Very curious to see how BB sets up Geno Bust this week with more film out and a second crack to adjust from Week 2 where they dominated him.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but we'll be running over end to drive Coples-bust out of his career, the more the merrier....that will set up quick passes out of the hurry-up to drive those big dogs on the Jet DL into tired puppies...THEN, we go back to the smash mouth running with traps against the agressive Jets DL...take the heart out of those guys, and then we can destroy their terrible secondary once the front 7 is tired and on their heels...all in front of the home crowd...LOVE IT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Starting front 7 to look like this?

Nink                     Vellano                      Jones

Collins                         Spikes                      Hightower                  Fletcher

Is Kelly playing?

[/QUOTE]

You;re a moron. NInk playing strong side 3-4 DE with a groin problem? Even NInk healthy, that's moronic.

Nink, Jones, Vellano, Jones

Hightowers, Spikes, Collins

That's my guess, troll.

[/QUOTE]

no way BB goes back to the 3-4 he drafted and picked up these guys to run his 4-3 scheme. there may be injuries but he has the guys ready to step in

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe Talib is the bigger factor. If he does not play, I can see NYJ throwing a lot behind the LBs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Hasn't our base defense almost been a nickel?

I do see more fletcher

Hightower gets the transmitter - even tho his stat sheet has been light BB must feel he is playing well

Jets only have a good d line and that is it

I think pats may pass first and run second

I can see the pats really working to get the rooks going , houman, and some more collie. I will be interested to hear from him the differences between PMs play book and BBs

It won't matter for the jets but I am curious about Ratliff

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hasn't our base defense almost been a nickel?

I do see more fletcher

Hightower gets the transmitter - even tho his stat sheet has been light BB must feel he is playing well

Jets only have a good d line and that is it

I think pats may pass first and run second

I can see the pats really working to get the rooks going , houman, and some more collie. I will be interested to hear from him the differences between PMs play book and BBs

It won't matter for the jets but I am curious about Ratliff

[/QUOTE]

Hightower had a hammy in the Atlanta game and into the Cincy game, but I believe came off the report last week with Arrington.

[/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of this guy, he has the tools. I think maybe we see more of his upside now

i

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

one other note

I heard something from BB that got my attention, 

He said, we don't put anybody on the field we don't have confidence that they can do the job.

I look at the next man up. Saying, and it always seems to be true with the pats

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to BelichickDisciple's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not too worried about the game - the woeful Steelers beat the Jets pretty good last week. I actually think Smith might turn out to be pretty good someday, but even with injuries, I like the Pats D against the Jets O, and the Pats O really has something to build on from last week. 

It will be interesting to see how BB plans for this game...

[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing about the Bengals....was wrong.  Yes, the jets are a different team, but the first game was closer than expected.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I say this before every game with the Jets, but I'll say it again. expect a nail-bitter. A lot of the time they play us tough, and in wake of all of our recent injuries I would expect nothing less. I'm a little concerend about some of the matchups in this game, but I think we will ultimately win. Their D-line might give us trouble, as well as their rushing attack against our depleted front 7. Should be fun.