Patriots new offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Patriots new offense

@cpriceNFL Patriots were in the shotgun for 15 of their 62 snaps against the Falcons. The 24% represents a season low.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: Patriots new offense

@cpriceNFL Patriots have run no huddle on just 17 of their 287 plays from scrimmage this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's a very different set of players out there this year than last, and, especially with the injuries to experienced players like Amendola and Gronk, it's not a team well constituted to run a hurry-up offense.  They also are trying to stretch the field more with the young receivers rather than run quick timing routes (which these guys aren't ready to run yet).  In the past they liked shotgun because it allowed Brady to get rid of the ball faster to the short-field receivers.  Now under center plays make more sense, because (1) they are relying more on the run and (2) they don't need to get the ball out quite as fast because their receivers are running deeper routes that take more time to develop.  The whole offense has a very different look right now.  They are using far more three receiver sets, with two X-type guys on the edges of the formation.  They mostly use just one TE (who isn't being targeted as a receiver a lot).  And while they are still mostly a one-back team, they are mixing in a true fullback at times now (rather than going to two TEs as much).  

Right now, this is in many ways a more traditional looking offense.  That has some positives (especially because it's more diverse), but they need to get more production from their rookie receivers to really make this approach effective.  I'm hoping that will come with time.  I really do like the way Thompkins is progressing each week, and like to see Boyce and Dobson (who hopefully isn't hurt too bad) getting more involved. I was pleased to see them score 30 last game.  They need to continue to get more productive, though fortunately this year they have a D that appears to be strong enough (assuming the loss of Wilfork doesn't change things) to hold games closer than the Ds of the past few years.

As always, BB makes it interesting, because he changes things around quite a bit to adapt to the players he has. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

How does that make the offense "new".  They're basically running more, more play action, more passess from Brady under center.  So, they're basically recycling old plays because they don't have the personnel/experience to spread the field wide w/ shotgun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

How does that make the offense "new".  They're basically running more, more play action, more passess from Brady under center.  So, they're basically recycling old plays because they don't have the personnel/experience to spread the field wide w/ shotgun.

It is "new" because the Pats didn't run that type of offense last year since they didn't have the personnel to run it last year. Yet they still run a spread offense at times because they do have the  personnel to do that too. They just don't have the experience with each other yet to run no huddle.

Why do you always try to make things sound worse that they really are?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Don't think I said it was new, just different.  They are still running the same system from the same playbook.  But they are very definitely doing things differently as the OP points out with his stats.  As the young receivers develop, I do think you'll see more spread formations.  They are incorporating those already at times.  The question will be the types of passes made from them.  I think we'll see more deep and intermediate passes than we did in the past.  This is a different group of players with different skills, and the Pats are running things differently to match those skills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is "new" because the Pats didn't run that type of offense last year since they didn't have the personnel to run it last year. Yet they still run a spread offense at times because they do have the  personnel to do that too. They just don't have the experience with each other yet to run no huddle.

Why do you always try to make things sound worse that they really are?

[/QUOTE]

You said it first ( should have read down before I replied).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's all the new personal. It's very hard to run a hurry up to begin with and takes a lot of trust and knowledge between the whole O. Other then the OL, Edelman, Brady, and Ridley there isn't a single player on the O side of the ball currently playing who has been here for more than a year. It's almost impossible to ask that many new players to pick up an up tempo O so quickly esp with as many rooks as they have and the complete lack of a starting caliber TE. I'm sure as the year picks up you'll see more no huddle but don't forget they can't wear the rooks out either as they will eventually hit the wall. Playing too quickly will only make that wall come quicker. For right now simplier and more conservative play calling is warrented until everyone gets up to speed and mind melds with Brady. But I have to saw this O is looking a bit like the 01' or 06' O at this point that has the potential to be closer to the 03' O. I doubt it will reach 04' level and not even close to 07' but if between the D and O they are close to the 03' team on both sides of the ball they have a decent shot to go deep.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It's all the new personal. It's very hard to run a hurry up to begin with and takes a lot of trust and knowledge between the whole O. Other then the OL, Edelman, Brady, and Ridley there isn't a single player on the O side of the ball currently playing who has been here for more than a year. It's almost impossible to ask that many new players to pick up an up tempo O so quickly esp with as many rooks as they have and the complete lack of a starting caliber TE. I'm sure as the year picks up you'll see more no huddle but don't forget they can't wear the rooks out either as they will eventually hit the wall. Playing too quickly will only make that wall come quicker. For right now simplier and more conservative play calling is warrented until everyone gets up to speed and mind melds with Brady. But I have to saw this O is looking a bit like the 01' or 06' O at this point that has the potential to be closer to the 03' O. I doubt it will reach 04' level and not even close to 07' but if between the D and O they are close to the 03' team on both sides of the ball they have a decent shot to go deep.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

More great points. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pro. I think you are referencing the no huddle and the hurry up as one and the same, yet they are not. The no huddle is coming to the LOS and calling plays sans huddle. leaving the defense no time to sub. The Pats did this quite often against Atl, with TB using most of the clock while at the LOS. The hurry up is getting to the LOS and actually running the play, before the defense is set and ready, taking no time off of the clock. While this was quite prevalent last year, we have not seen much of that this year.

I see quite a bit of difference in this years offense opposed to last year, for the simple fact that Gronk and Hern are not playing. Pats simply do not have the personel with out those 2 to run a TE centric offense.  And if they want to run more often (which they do) the OL has not opened the holes with out the TE pulling thru to block at the back side (Hooman was magnificent against Atl).

I am going to assume once Gronk and DA have their feet back under them, this offense changes again, and spread formations, TE centric plays and hurry up are back...

Truly, truly BB's greatest coaching year to date IMO orchestrating this offense with the defense still coming together and showing some familiar short comings. To be 4-0 is all on BB IMO 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Funny how the Pats fans dont remember that Brady was one of the best Play-action QB's awhile back. The best thing to happen to Pats, get out of shotgun, only at times when game (score),and time dictates it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Funny how the Pats fans dont remember that Brady was one of the best Play-action QB's awhile back. The best thing to happen to Pats, get out of shotgun, only at times when game (score),and time dictates it.

No, I dont agree. It strictly depends on the opposition and the game plan. From the shot gun, with a WR like Wes or Edelman or DA, that screen pass and YAC is actually a "running play", gaining more yardage than handing the ball to a RB. Also, the OL has been much more adept at running that pooch screen opposed to playing smash mouth against many teams (opposed to having their way with Atl this past week)

Additionally, everyone wants TB to get back to "his favorite reciever is the open reciever" mentality. TB has clearly stated his comfort level checking down is from the shot gun.

And while many here have refered to his "binky" Wes, it is Wes that was always the "open receiver", so why not throw him the ball? Has anyone noticed how Wes is also always open playing for the Broncos?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Has anyone noticed how Wes is also always open playing for the Broncos?

Almost as much as edelman has been this year. Just kidding  just having a little fun.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I think they are under center more for 2 reasons, they are running the ball more and they are using the play action much more to help the receivers get open.  They young guys and even Jewels are having a hard time getting open.  I have never seen Tom Brady have to hold onto the ball for as long as he does.  Hopefully these young guys will learn how to shake the DB's much quicker.  Wes was very good at that and still is.  He is having great success with Manning because he is able to get loose and get seperation quick.  One of his best strengths.  He already has 6 td's. 

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The focus on shotgun snaps on this board is misguided imo.  The game against Tampa we probably used shotgun more than a lot of games last season.  The offense is different because we are running more 3 WR sets.  Perhaps this changes when Gronk returns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The lack of hurry plays is most notable. The reason is obvious ... none of the players have enough experience to run at that speed full time.

The downtick in shotgun is only slight, and reflects a gameplan decision, imo.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GboroYankee. Show GboroYankee's posts

As many have said here all ready, this is an inexperienced team so the plays and speed must be kept simple. That said, I like the the fact that the tendancies of this group are an unknown to most teams. Also the ability to grasp more will pick up as the year goes on and they will be able to adjust plays and add schemes. This will keep us interesting and hard to read this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The Pats have always run at will against Atlanta's tiny players.  I remember we did the same thing 2009.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Shotgun Offense makes us predictable. Playing against the really good Defenses, always were ready for it. Spreading the Field should mean hit the Open Man. Not the formation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Remember years back when they compared Brady to Montana, Montana was never a shotgun QB. Always under Center.
    Play-Action is and always be the most potent play for an Offense. It does the one thing you need, deception.

Brady is a much, much better QB under Center, he looks the whole field, throws better deep balls. Hope McDaniels sticks to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

As Gronk and Amendola get back to playing, this offense will be a killer. Those young recievers keep getting better, the run game is working. Brady just need to hold on the ball on 4th and inches to ice the games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnCrunch. Show CaptnCrunch's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

[QUOTE]

@cpriceNFL Patriots were in the shotgun for 15 of their 62 snaps against the Falcons. The 24% represents a season low.

SB here we come!  I am flat out loving it. Brady is better with playaction and a commitment to a run game.

Waited for years for this. I thought we had it in 2010 when BB dealt Moss, but Brady couldn't quite allow it to work.

I wanted it gone after SB 42's proven failure as to why we lost that game. And to think our D has taken the brunt of the offense's idelogical failure all these years.

I'll say that you have been calling for exactly what we are seeing for over a year now. I also will say aside from your sometimes dikkish attitude toward others, you know your stuff and speak from the perspective of an intense PATRIOTS observer. No, your not always right, but you know what you are talking about. Stop being a dyk so much. Good on ya man. 

25. This post has been removed.