Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses

I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. We have seen (epspecially in the playoffs) when defenses take the middle of the field away, the weakness on the outside shows up. There is no real threats on the outside. Sure they have added some in Free Agency, they still need some size and speed to compliment their wide receiver skills and there is plenty in this draft. We all know that the Defense needs major improvements all over and that is easy to see, but this offense needs improvement on the outside to be specific and run the ball a little bit more. The offensive line is in great position when you include the depth. The Same with the Tight End position with the addition on Daniel Fells and the running back position (including the fullbacks) is in good shape. (Outside of Wes) The wide receiver position needs to be upgraded. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses

No, you shouldn't get grief. You're basically right. Only thing I'd add is they are so good at that short passing game that they still can beat most defenses (and score 30 points) with just that.  Still, the best defenses can at times shut the offense down by flooding the middle of the field with DBs and LBs and getting a decent pass rush. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses:
    [QUOTE]I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. We have seen (epspecially in the playoffs) when defenses take the middle of the field away, the weakness on the outside shows up. There is no real threats on the outside. Sure they have added some in Free Agency, they still need some size and speed to compliment their wide receiver skills and there is plenty in this draft. We all know that the Defense needs major improvements all over and that is easy to see, but this offense needs improvement on the outside to be specific and run the ball a little bit more. The offensive line is in great position when you include the depth. The Same with the Tight End position with the addition on Daniel Fells and the running back position (including the fullbacks) is in good shape. (Outside of Wes) The wide receiver position needs to be upgraded. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

i said the same all year.
    have you read my thread on page 1 or the drat thread.
    i like hill or jeffery and jenkins or kirpatrick in our top picks
    then go de.
    see my specific picks on those threads

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses:
    [QUOTE]No, you shouldn't get grief. You're basically right. Only thing I'd add is they are so good at that short passing game that they still can beat most defenses (and score 30 points) with just that.  Still, the best defenses can at times shut the offense down by flooding the middle of the field with DBs and LBs and getting a decent pass rush. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : i said the same all year. have you read my thread on page 1 or the drat thread. i like hill or jeffery and jenkins or kirpatrick in our top picks then go de. see my specific picks on those threads
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I have not been on in a while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

here is teh link:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Brandon Lloyd and Donte Stallworth will probably be your outside threats this year.  Anthony Gonzalez may also be able to contribute a bit on the outside.   The Pat's offense got a bit more dynamic this offseason.  The Pats offense is based on exploiting the weakness of the defense and creating / taking advantage of mismatches.  The offensive weapons that were accumulated this offseason will be able to spread defenses out.  Llyod should be able to get separation and should require a defense to provide safety help over the top.  Gronk and Herandez run intermediate routes and push the seam.  Stallworth or Ochocinco would be on the other side running intermediate / deep routes.  TLloyd, Gronk and Hernandez can all beat single coverage.  You also have Welker underneith or a scat back in the backfield that will most likely be covered by an LB.  If that is the case then the LB is toast.  The Oline seems to be in good enough shape to give Tom the time he needs to find an open receiver or an RB outlet.  I think their offense is set up well for this season.  

With the pieces the Patriots have aquired, Josh McD should be able to use his creativity this year.  Their power package should be formidable.  They could run a 3 TE, RB, FB package and still have the threat of passing.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Yes they didn't have WR long outside threat, but I'm not sure they were easy to read and clearly not easy to defend against since the offence was among the most productive in the the NFL and they went 13-3 with a deficient defense...soo its hard to validate your position with actual data and results

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. We have seen (epspecially in the playoffs) when defenses take the middle of the field away, the weakness on the outside shows up.

RESPONSE: To say that the Pats' offense is easy for defenses to game plan against is correct. But, how many teams have the talent on "D" to successfully carry out the "easy game plan", and stop the Pats? Not many. Did the Ravens "D" shut down the Pats' offense? The Pats put up 23 points against them. In the SB, the Giants dealt with a Gronkless Pats' offense. Otherwise, the outcome could have been different.
         Every NFL team, including the better teams, have their flaws.  

There is no real threats on the outside. Sure they have added some in Free Agency, they still need some size and speed to compliment their wide receiver skills and there is plenty in this draft.

RESPONSE: Even with the acquisitions of Lloyd, Stallworth, and Gonzalez, the Pats could really use a young WR who has the ability to "take the top off" a defense. This is a very deep draft for WRs...and the Pats could find such a player. But, even if they don't, the free agents they've added are going to make their receiving corp better than last years' group.   

We all know that the Defense needs major improvements all over and that is easy to see, but this offense needs improvement on the outside to be specific and run the ball a little bit more.

RESPONSE: A legitimate deep threat would force opposing defenses to play their safeties deep...which would make it easier to run the ball.

The offensive line is in great position when you include the depth.

RESPONSE: I disagree. Matt Light is retiring. C-Bass appears to have a chronic bad back. RG Brian Waters is 34 years old. Dan Koppen is 33. LG Logan Mankins is recovering from knee surgery. The Pats may need to consider using a draft choice on an OT/OG type.

The Same with the Tight End position with the addition on Daniel Fells and the running back position (including the fullbacks) is in good shape.

RESPONSE: It appears so.

(Outside of Wes) The wide receiver position needs to be upgraded. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.

RESPONSE: As stated above, you are correct. But, the Pats have more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, and at RB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I'm not sure if it's "easy" to gameplan for, perhaps if you mean defenses know where the ball is generally going to go, I suppose...but stopping those players is not easy.  Jax is an easy offense to game plan for, because they simply lack the talent to exploit specific matchups.  I agree 100% they need more talent on the outside, I've felt that way since 2009.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

It may be easy in theory, but few teams have the D to do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. We have seen (epspecially in the playoffs) when defenses take the middle of the field away, the weakness on the outside shows up. There is no real threats on the outside. Sure they have added some in Free Agency, they still need some size and speed to compliment their wide receiver skills and there is plenty in this draft. We all know that the Defense needs major improvements all over and that is easy to see, but this offense needs improvement on the outside to be specific and run the ball a little bit more. The offensive line is in great position when you include the depth. The Same with the Tight End position with the addition on Daniel Fells and the running back position (including the fullbacks) is in good shape. (Outside of Wes) The wide receiver position needs to be upgraded. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.

You are absolutely right, anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial ( see BabeParilli)  the Patriots offense struggles in the playoff and against good defenses, especially defenses that can get pressure without the blitz. The defense crowds the middle of the field with dbs and brings up the safeties. With the threat of a running game and a guy that can get open down the field they become a whole different offense, pretty much unstoppable. Brady tends to force plays when defenses tighten up on us, that leads to interceptions or even the safety we saw in the superbowl..

I'm not saying Brady is the problem, he's a top 3 to  5 qb in the league still. Its just an observation of what has been happening in the playoff games since 2007. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Absurd- if they are so easy to game plan for they wouldn't score so many points and win so many games. Every week a coach is saying how difficult the Patriots are to prepare for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Jason Taylor doesn't think the Pats O is predictable. 
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4720713/jason-taylor-doubts-about-pats-d

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.

No- really, you should be fine...  The time's long past when we were dealing with 73 seperate threads each with 200 responses saying this: "Yes they didn't have WR long outside threat, but I'm not sure they were easy to read and clearly not easy to defend against since the offence was among the most productive in the the NFL and they went 13-3 with a deficient defense...soo its hard to validate your position with actual data and results."

So like I said, the hard part of the battle's over- Ya must've been stuck in traffic for 3 months while tryin' ta make your way up to the frontlines.  As a result, the rest've us are just gonna let pezz, shenanigan, eldvmper and parilli, Simply beat you to an absolute bl00dy pulp on here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : You are absolutely right, anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial ( see BabeParilli)  the Patriots offense struggles in the playoff and against good defenses, especially defenses that can get pressure without the blitz. The defense crowds the middle of the field with dbs and brings up the safeties. With the threat of a running game and a guy that can get open down the field they become a whole different offense, pretty much unstoppable. Brady tends to force plays when defenses tighten up on us, that leads to interceptions or even the safety we saw in the superbowl.. I'm not saying Brady is the problem, he's a top 3 to  5 qb in the league still. Its just an observation of what has been happening in the playoff games since 2007. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : You are absolutely right, anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial ( see BabeParilli)  the Patriots offense struggles in the playoff and against good defenses, especially defenses that can get pressure without the blitz. The defense crowds the middle of the field with dbs and brings up the safeties. With the threat of a running game and a guy that can get open down the field they become a whole different offense, pretty much unstoppable. Brady tends to force plays when defenses tighten up on us, that leads to interceptions or even the safety we saw in the superbowl.. I'm not saying Brady is the problem, he's a top 3 to  5 qb in the league still. Its just an observation of what has been happening in the playoff games since 2007. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

No doubt, if defenses feared are running game Brady would kill it downfield.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses": [QUOTE]Thats why Defense wins Championships. If this team had the dominante Defense like most Championship teams do, it would have been almost unbeatable. I always think of the 49's, they were one of the strongest offenses that I have ever seen. But the real secret to that team was they had a GREAT Defense. People forget how good that Defense was. Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE] Some of the most underrated defenses of all time. The 49ers had legit all star teams in the 80's & 90's. Too much credit given to Rice , Montana etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Every year is different and until the draft is over and training camp opens up we won't know what we actually have on offense outside of Gronk, Wes and Hernandez in terms of what they are going to bring to the table. Even that bar might be raised from last years performances in regards to Aaron and Rob.

The Patriots offense at the moment is easy to game plan for if you have a defense able to stay even keel for 60 minutes against Tom Brady. Not a real easy task. Once the defense gets better the overall team will begin to flucate at a pace that everyone will like.

The offense is a rock show though. The addition of Lloyd was huge and he should help relieve some pressure off the guys and be a bigger spark than Deion but we need to either add a WR in the draft or hope one of those veteran FAs pan out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Almost every WR they have ever drafted has been a complete bust and few rookies are going to come in learn an offense and be a productive starter right away. Lloyd was the best shot they had since he knows the offense.

They packed up the screen play somewhere in Bill Belichick's basement and they can't find it apparently. I can't remember them using a screen to keep the D on their toes in years. If they don't keep Faulk they should sign him as a coach. He was the best screen pass threat they had maybe he could show the new pups an old dogs tricks.

And as you said they need to run the ball more often which means less shotgun formations otherwise the D will know when it's a pass and when it isn't. Whenever they go to shotgun the D throws everyone and the kitchen sink at Brady. I think he has more time when he's not in the shotgun because the other team is at least guessing.

[QUOTE]I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. We have seen (especially in the playoffs) when defenses take the middle of the field away, the weakness on the outside shows up. There is no real threats on the outside. Sure they have added some in Free Agency, they still need some size and speed to compliment their wide receiver skills and there is plenty in this draft. We all know that the Defense needs major improvements all over and that is easy to see, but this offense needs improvement on the outside to be specific and run the ball a little bit more. The offensive line is in great position when you include the depth. The Same with the Tight End position with the addition on Daniel Fells and the running back position (including the fullbacks) is in good shape. (Outside of Wes) The wide receiver position needs to be upgraded. I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I guess nearly very team had a game plan to let the Patriots score over 30 points on them on their way to the Super Bowl. Yes, I suppose that would be a relatively easy gameplan to execute.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]Yes they didn't have WR long outside threat, but I'm not sure they were easy to read and clearly not easy to defend against since the offence was among the most productive in the the NFL and they went 13-3 with a deficient defense...soo its hard to validate your position with actual data and results
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]Thats why Defense wins Championships. If this team had the dominante Defense like most Championship teams do, it would have been almost unbeatable. I always think of the 49's, they were one of the strongest offenses that I have ever seen. But the real secret to that team was they had a GREAT Defense. People forget how good that Defense was.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

That is the funny thing about the Cowboys and 49ers, almost everybody talks about the offenses for both franchises when they won those Super Bowls. What gets overlooked for both franchises is how good their defenses were and don't get the credit they deserve (each defense finished in the top 5 or 10 in defense when they won the super bowl).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]I guess nearly very team had a game plan to let the Patriots score over 30 points on them on their way to the Super Bowl. Yes, I suppose that would be a relatively easy gameplan to execute.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

That is regular season. But when teams (especially in the playoffs) take away the middle of the field, their weakness on the outside shows. In the games that they have lost in the regular season, this offense is less effective and this offense barely can score 20 points when defenses play that style of playing man coverage on the outside and taking away the middle of the football field.