Patriots Play-calling Is, Simply, A Lot Worse Than Last Year -- That's Huge, Overlooked Pt.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peteraj. Show peteraj's posts

Patriots Play-calling Is, Simply, A Lot Worse Than Last Year -- That's Huge, Overlooked Pt.

It's time to just come out and face facts:  The Patriots' play-calling, particularly in the second half of games, has gotten A LOT worse.  The team really misses Josh McDaniels, and Bill O'Brien, who apparently replaced McDaniels, is failing to show signs of effectiveness after 12 games !
    This team blatantly over-relies on Moss and Welker.  Yes, Welker has been fantastic and helped carry the team -- but, my point is that Brady used to throw to about 8 different guys, including his running backs.  Now, O'Brien allows too many deep passes that don't work.  The team doesn't use screens and short passes nearly as well as it did in its succesful years.
    If you put this easy-to-cover offense together with a defense that cannot stop virtually ANY quarterback from completing short, medium or long passes, and it's no wonder the team is as mediocre as it is.  In fact, in some ways I'm surprised the Pats are 7-5.
    Last point:  The team lacks some of the mental toughness it used to have.  The defense in years past often came up with big stops on third down.  This defense just can't do that.

Peter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Patriots Play-calling Is, Simply, A Lot Worse Than Last Year -- That's Huge, Overlooked Pt.

It only seems to be overlooked by BB. I've been saying it since Denver. There's been a hundred threads on this subject and bring Weis back and all you have to do is scroll down to find three more today.

Your points are valid but if you're just seeing it you may have missed a couple games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Re: Patriots Play-calling Is, Simply, A Lot Worse Than Last Year -- That's Huge, Overlooked Pt.

Executing on the fourth down plays and red zone opportunities would make the playing calling look much better.A QB sneak was always a given on 4rth and 1. Where did it go? We just aren't clicking as a team this year. Still got time to find some rythm but we can't afford too lose too many more of the close ones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The play calling is bad, but they have put Obrien in a bad position. 

The O line can't power run, that means on 2nd down they have to pick up a first down.  They used to be able to pick up short yards and count on power running to pick up 2 to 3 more yards when they're close.  When you can't force a 2 to 3 yard gain your options are limted in play calling. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I think the defensive play calling has been pretty solid- we just don't have the personnel/experience to execute it.

But the offense is being completely mismanaged. Any success we have had, like a previous poster said, is purely from talent. There's just no creativity. We can't keep targeting the same few receivers. We can't keep going for the kill on third and five when we just need to move the chains. We can't keep abandoning the running game.

Our offense looks like that of a desperate team, which I don't think we are. But maybe we are starting to become one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I sit on my couch and call about 65% of the plays on offense, what do you think the % the opponent's coaches are guessing is? We have like 4 runs and 5 pass plays as far as I can tell. Is this Tecmo Bowl?