Patriots reach agreement with Gerard Warren

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots reach agreement with Gerard Warren

1. Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter After a draft in which they selected three Florida players, the Patriots reached agreement with former Florida 1st-round pick Gerard Warren.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots reach agreement with Gerard Warren

Gerard Thurston Warren (born July 25, 1978 in Lake City, Florida), is an American football player who plays defensive tackle. He is currently a free agent after being cut by the Oakland Raiders of the NFL on 3/11/2010. After a standout career at Union County High School he attended the University of Florida. The Browns selected him with the third pick in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft. After four steady seasons, he was traded to the Broncos for a 4th round draft pick

in 2005. Warren was among a number of Browns lineman brought to Denver in hopes of solidifying the defense. After two amazing seasons with the Broncos, he was traded to the unlikely trade partner of the Raiders (teams within the same division rarely make trades). Warren played in all 16 games in 2008 for the first time since 2005 and amassed four sacks.

Warren has career totals of 30 sacks and 260 tackles. By most accounts he is considered something of a draft "bust" given how the high expectations are for an overall third pick. However he is not listed amongst the bigger winners in NFL draft history by most experts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i have a hard time seeing him making the team. BB loves to bring in these former top DL picks just to see if they have anything left. they never do though (sullivan, big daddy wilkenson off the top of my head). i do think we'll see another 5 technique veteran DE before the season starts, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yikes, can you tell we didn't fill the 5 spot in the draft or free agency?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Training Camp fodder. Lewis, Brace and Warren (not Ty) will fight it out to see who makes the team. Depth, at best, until we draft Clayborn or Heyward (not Ironhead) next year to replace Big Sey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Great signing to shore up our defensive end position, now we sign one more outside linebacker released by his team for salary reasons and we"re set up nicely.  PAT's look rock solid for this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots reach agreement with Gerard Warren:
      Or maybe Ron Brace will be a DE now?  Hmmmmmm. Warren would project in at DT in a 4-3.
      Posted by russgriswold

I think Brace moving to DE could be a very real option for the Patriots...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

brace cant play the 5 technique. no explosion, no quickness, no pass rush. not to mention he was awful last year in his natural position. the best we can hope for with this guy is a serviceable back-up to wilfork. but based on last season even that looks like a stretch. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's way too early to judge Brace, he only got on the field for a few series last season... there was a time in their young careers when Ty Law bit on a pump fake, Willy McG fell for a play action pass or Brushi overran a running play.  Theres always a learning process...

Brace is a nose tackle more than end, but we ran a lot of 2/4/5 packages last season so I could see us doing that again this year, especially with our defensive backfield so deep so we may see Brace out out there at a dual nose position with Vince.  Or they could put him at Nose in the 3/4 and Wilfork could play end like he did last season against the Dolphins...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not totally writing brace off (unlike crable, who is written off). i'm just saying that they gave him some chances to play early in the season, which i think meant he was part of last season's plans, but he was awful. he got run on every time he was out there and got lifted after 2 or 3 snaps. meanwhile pryor emerged as a far superior player last year. hopefully his problems were technique based because clearly he has size and power. but its hard to be excited about him after last season.