Patriots record after bye week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots record after bye week

Here is the Patriots record from 2001 through 2012 after bye week

Regular season = 10-2, average score of games after bye week = Patriots 28 vs opponents 17

Playoffs = 5-1, average score of games after playoff bye week = Patriots 25 vs opponents 15

Totals of all games after bye week (Reg season + playoffs)

Record = 15 wins 3 losses, average score of games after bye week = Patriots 27 vs opponents 16

Looking at this, us Patriots fans should feel very good going into this game vs Texans next Sunday.  But as I have said all along I don't really like how the Patriots play after a bye week.  These numbers show that the average margin of win after bye weeks aren't very high compared to what they do during the season.  Out of 18 games played after a bye week the Patriots only have 5 blow out wins by 17+ points.

As I expect a Patriots win next Sunday, I think it will be a close game 31 - 20 Patriots. Which for fun just happens to by the score of the 2007 Patriots vs Jaguars playoff game after the bye week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Patriots record after bye week

Without looking at the details of each game, the opponants and the variables of who played or not based on injury status. Your above stats suggest that the Pats are a tough go for any team after the bye. Fact is that in the last decade the Pat's are a tough go on a short week too. Since you have the information at hand, wonder what thier record is in homes game folowing a bye? My guess is that the numbers would improve (not that they're bad as is)...

End of the day given the extra week the Patriots and the 3 others teams with byes advantage lyes in that most of the guys had another week to heal and work on specific technical stuff with thier position coaches. The teams benefits by having two to three days to work in groups on areas needing improvement. Specifically coverages and formations that might not have been as crisp as the coaches would have liked over the last quarter of the season.

In the end when game planning not only do the coaches look at and for areas where the opponent struggles and excells. Likewise they also look at thier own teams strengths and weaknesses. Basically it comes down to how the teams personnel matches up based on which package is in the game, given the down, distance and how well they execute on both sides of the ball run/pass.

When you play Houston, it's incumbent on the defense to set the edge and take away the stretch play and almost as important is for your base defense not allowing them to run to the right with success. Basically trying to take away or minimize the effectiveness of the play action pass.

Conversely the blue print for stopping the Patriots or slowing them down is getting consistent pressure on Brady up the middle (JJ Watt) While playing press coverages on the recievers. The new wrinkle this year, which is why I'm bullish on our teams chances to advance. Is a how we utelize the run when we're in 3 reciever sets with one back and the defense is playing nickle.

Houston has ro run to keep this game close and not turn the ball over...The Patriots have to run to keep the linebackers and Watt honest by not allow them to pin back their ears and bull rush Brady...should be a great game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Que Mighty.    We're going to crush the texans. Denver this Denver that. No one wants to play us.  Put in Tom Brady's O yesterday and its over by half time. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I normally would say weather will be a factor, but man the Texans are big...big running back, big recievers, big tight ends, big defense. I'm not sure that the weather will hurt them much, I think (despite their December) that this is one of the tougher teams to play in the playoffs. If we're going to win the Super Bowl we are going to have to beat teams like this anyway - and I think we will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I normally would say weather will be a factor, but man the Texans are big...big running back, big recievers, big tight ends, big defense. I'm not sure that the weather will hurt them much, I think (despite their December) that this is one of the tougher teams to play in the playoffs. If we're going to win the Super Bowl we are going to have to beat teams like this anyway - and I think we will.

[/QUOTE]

Weather is a factor as we saw against San Francisco in the rain, where we handled the football like it was a greased pig. Snow = 32F or below...a frozen football impacts the kicking game and the ability of the recievers to catch it...a snowy field aslo makes it tougher for the running backs to get to the edge, plant ans turn up field which could impact the Texans ability to use the stretch play...

End of the day, if your teams worthy of playing in the superbowl typically the road goes through the best teams in your conference. We're the 2 seeds and we'll be playing the 3...If the Ravens hold serve today then they as the 4 seed travel to Denver to play the #1 seed...the best 5 teams based on seeding in the AFC are still playing football and any of them are capable of beating the Patriots on any given Sunday and likewsie the Patriots are good enough on most sundays to beat all of them regardless of venue. The Texans are a good fooball team and if they play thier A game and we don't as the late Don Meridith sang on Monday night football in the waning moments as the clock would dwon to zero "it's time to go, the party's over"...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is the Patriots record from 2001 through 2012 after bye week

Regular season = 10-2, average score of games after bye week = Patriots 28 vs opponents 17

Playoffs = 5-1, average score of games after playoff bye week = Patriots 25 vs opponents 15

Totals of all games after bye week (Reg season + playoffs)

Record = 15 wins 3 losses, average score of games after bye week = Patriots 27 vs opponents 16

Looking at this, us Patriots fans should feel very good going into this game vs Texans next Sunday.  But as I have said all along I don't really like how the Patriots play after a bye week.  These numbers show that the average margin of win after bye weeks aren't very high compared to what they do during the season.  Out of 18 games played after a bye week the Patriots only have 5 blow out wins by 17+ points.

As I expect a Patriots win next Sunday, I think it will be a close game 31 - 20 Patriots. Which for fun just happens to by the score of the 2007 Patriots vs Jaguars playoff game after the bye week.

[/QUOTE]

I have always agreed with this notion. The biggest thing that happens is we will have great drives and watch them stall pat the end. Or, we have a great drive then go out and have 3 consecutive 3 and outs. 

Regardless of weather, our running attack needs to be effective and used often For us to have goof game on both sides of the ball.