Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams...

To replace Fred Taylor.  Williams has a little more left in the tank than Taylor and we can get him for a reasonable price.  With Green-Ellis as our feature back and Woodhead as our 3rd down back, Williams is the perfect fit for a 8-15 carry a game back.

Patriots also need a big fullback (250-265 pounder) with the ability to block and catch passes, like we had with Marc Edwards and Heith Evans. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams...

Ricky Williams or someone like him.  I think having two RBs who can take the ball would do wonders for this team.  I really believe that the Pats will draft a guy as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Meh. He fumbles a lot. I am not against it, but if he can be had for a great price, he will probably be a better choice than Taylor.

I wonder if Morris will return?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Can't see Morris returning just to play ST, but they'll probably keep 5 backs so maybe he's back for one more season.  I like Morris, Taylor and Faulk, but I'd also like to see some youth.  You'd have to think that the Pats can get a developmental guy who is cheaper and who can play ST just as well as Morris.  I think they need a guy to take a good part of the carries like Taylor would have.   

Next year?

BJGE
    Woodhead
    FA (Williams, or someone like him)
    Morris
    draft pick

Would like to see Faulk back, but it's an uphill battle and his skill set is too much like Woodhead's. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams...:
    [QUOTE]Can't see Morris returning just to play ST, but they'll probably keep 5 backs so maybe he's back for one more season.  I like Morris, Taylor and Faulk, but I'd also like to see some youth.  You'd have to think that the Pats can get a developmental guy who is cheaper and who can play ST just as well as Morris.  I think they need a guy to take a good part of the carries like Taylor would have.    Next year? BJGE Woodhead FA (Williams, or someone like him) Morris draft pick Would like to see Faulk back, but it's an uphill battle and his skill set is too much like Woodhead's. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]Woodhead and Faulk aren't the same type backs and I would like to see them both on the squad next year,(they do play on third down that is their similar role). Faulk is a receiver out of the backfield and Woodhead is more of a RB though he is capable of catching the ball and turning the catch into YAC! As for Ricky williams I'd have to wait and see what happens in the draft before signing another has been RB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

No they should not.  They should go after Ingram, period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Doesn't Ingram speed slightly bother anyone.  He ran a 4.6 at the combine, I know he plays a lot faster than that, but still the speed difference from college to the pro's is huge.  I just don't think Ingram is the next Adrien Peterson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't Ingram speed slightly bother anyone.  He ran a 4.6 at the combine, I know he plays a lot faster than that, but still the speed difference from college to the pro's is huge.  I just don't think Ingram is the next Adrien Peterson.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

He has a 10 yard split of 1.55, which means he has an intial burst that is much more imporant than 40 times.  Once he hits the through the line he will be hard to take down because of his size.  Eveyone says he will immediately come in and work hard from day one.  Then you throw in Benny and Woodhead and we have a great tadem back field. 

Why I like Engram is he can catch very well togo with his blocking abilities and he runs extremely hard.  To be a true 3 down player with any team you have to catch out the back field, which will make defense go crazy if the Pats get him.  How can you defend now.... Pats will become completely unpredictable on offense and teams cannot just play pass all the time anymore.

I hope we are doene with the free agent Vet pick up for now, check out these guys that WILL be available to the Pats and their plathory of picks.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37680/60/draft-2011-the-running-backs?pg=1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Don't waste time on these old time running backs - we need to get a guy who defenses fear. 
    Mark Ingram
    Leshour
    Now your talking a running game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Should we add Ricky Williams ?

YES

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Should we add Ricky Williams ? YES
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

NO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think he ran around a 4.4 at his pro day. i love ingram...the only red flag i think is the knee, which supposedly is making teams nervous. there's no real way for us to know about the knee though....but its safe to say that is he does drop into the 2nd round (as many of the draft gurus are ow predicting), the knee is probably the reason.

[QUOTE]Doesn't Ingram speed slightly bother anyone.  He ran a 4.6 at the combine, I know he plays a lot faster than that, but still the speed difference from college to the pro's is huge.  I just don't think Ingram is the next Adrien Peterson.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

has anyone here seen the 30 for 30 on ricky williams? it was extremely fascinating and in some ways made me like him more (i used to think of him as a weirdo who quit on his team and came back only because he was in debt). he's a really interesting, extremely intelligent guy. and he appears to be in amazing physical condition and is probably capable of a few more productive seasons if he wants it. but if you watched it, you also saw a guy who has severe emotion problems that havent exactly been addressed. he has a long history of dropping people and things that he cares about without a second thought, based on his emotional state at the time. that includes his mother, his sisters, his on again off again girlfriend, children, mothers of his other children, friends, and football. the documentary seemed to trace it back to his being sexually molested by his father at a young age, and the consequent arrest and estrangement of his father, which he blamed on his mother for reporting him. its actually very very sad and makes you really want to root for the guy. but it also shows you that he is deeply troubled and unstable. he seems to have had a good few years (like he did in college), but it also looks like he can unravel at any moment.
    so i'm rooting for him...but not on the patriots. just dont think i could really feel secure counting on him. i think south beach is the perfect place for him. handling the pressure of playing in foxboro could be really bad news. i recommend checking out that documentary...its very powerful. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Also, Williams has not really shown a propensity for getting injured and in the role he may serve with the Pats his longevity could improve.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

It will be interesting which veteran free agents Hoodie brings in to combine with all of our young talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]Don't waste time on these old time running backs - we need to get a guy who defenses fear.  Mark Ingram Leshour Now your talking a running game
    Posted by Wildwillis[/QUOTE]

No one would be afraid of these rookies at RB especially with a line of vollmer, wendell, koppen, connolly and kaczur - so forget a RB in the 1st round

Either Williams or Ronnie Brown (why not both?) would be a nice addition and grab a RB in 3/4 rd.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Pass on Williams, Taylor won't be back, Faulk might not either. McGahee would be good if he comes cheap, imo that would be a better chance to take, pretty versatile back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams... : No one would be afraid of these rookies at RB especially with a line of vollmer, wendell, koppen, connolly and kaczur - so forget a RB in the 1st round Either Williams or Ronnie Brown (why not both?) would be a nice addition and grab a RB in 3/4 rd.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

I agree with your concern on the O-line, however, with the lockout, how would the Patriots be sure they would get a Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, or a Willis McGahee. I think they need a good young back. No more so so backs and old legs. The Patriots need to sign Mankins asap when an agreement comes. Everyone also needs to remember that Green Ellis is a free agent (restricted) also, as is Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris. Right now the Patriots only have Danny Woodhead as a RB. Are people comfortable with him as an every down back? I'm not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I feel there are 2 issues with Williams. He doesn't play ST and he puts the ball on the ground. That does not seem like a player of interest to the Pats.
    I feel that there could be a spot for Faulk (Woodhead is a no brainer) assuming not health, but speed. Faulk was a step slow BEFORE the injury. If he returns healthy, but 2 steps slow, I question his ability to contribute.
    Reading about the QB's potential in round 1, I am feeling that Ingram is looking like a 2nd rounder, and maybe the 2nd back drafted after Leshoure.
    I also question running behind the OL as it currently stacks up, and feel that OL MUST be addressed early.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Ingram at 33 is a greta pickup,
    Trade 17 for a later 1 and a 3
    Pickup a big DL or an OLB with 28
    Get a OL with the 2nd pick in 2

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I've been in favor of this for a while, in fact since last season ended.  That said, I do not think it will happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Should Take a Chance On Ricky Williams... : Woodhead and Faulk aren't the same type backs and I would like to see them both on the squad next year,(they do play on third down that is their similar role). Faulk is a receiver out of the backfield and Woodhead is more of a RB though he is capable of catching the ball and turning the catch into YAC! As for Ricky williams I'd have to wait and see what happens in the draft before signing another has been RB.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

They are absolutely the same type of skill set, Faulk may be the better receiver but Woodhead is a better runner.  Although I'd certainly give a younger and injury free Faulk the edge over Woodhead, that's not the case right now.  They'd have the same role on this squad, 3rd down and kick return teams, and Woodhead has shown that he can do that very well plus he even covers kicks.

The Pats clearly need a guy that can take some of the carries behind BJGE.  Morris and Taylor probably aren't the guys, although Morris on ST and as a short down runner could eek out a roster spot.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Williams is worth a look. I am hoping for Ingram with the 33 pick. Or maybe see if Raiders would part with Bush who I think is a RFA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Faulk has had the better career obviously, yes, but Woodhead is clearly the more electrifying player now and moving forward.  I am not sure how this is debatable.

Woodhead can actually be a gamebreaker, while Faulk, in his later years is more of a methodical back.  Not a knock, he's just older and adapted very well with age.

So, maybe Faulk can adapt yet again and be that makeshift FB on this team? 

Faulk can block very well can still play in a role, etc. The question is, will he want a reduced role?   Maybe he can be the Sammy Morris role?

Probably not, unless he has some role on Special Teams.

I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion, especially with Woodhead's extension mid season last year, NE is sold on him replacing Faulk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]"Would like to see Faulk back, but it's an uphill battle and his skill set is too much like Woodhead's." Its more like Woodhead's skill set is more like Kevin Faulk's not the other way around. I know people have a *boner for Woodhead but Kevin Faulk is by far the better player and his track record proves that. One knee injury in his entire career and Pats fans are ready to let him go because they fell in love with the tiny little white boy. K Faulk is one of my all time favorite Patriots and I think its really messed up that people have already written him off.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Every time someone comments about Woodhead you automatically read disrespect into what they're saying if Faulk is in the same sentence.  I like Faulk, but at some point he'll be ready to move on with his life and he'll be remembered like Tedy Bruschi as a career Pat.  I am pulling for the guy but to me he is not irreplaceable.     

Do you think if Faulk is back next year he'll automatically get a bigger role than Woodhead due to his longevity?  I don't.  Woodhead is younger, cheaper and just as versatile, no disrespect to Kevin Faulk.  It's reality.  The guy will be 35 coming off major knee surgery.  He faces long odds to make the roster in my opinion, again, no disrespect to the guy.  Kevin Faulk of 5 years ago was the superior player, no doubt.   

No one is being disrespectful of Faulk.  Guys get older and don't play any more at some point.  Faulk is getting close to that point regardless of whether he's an all-time favorite.  Separate disrespect from someone making a point, or just put me on ignore if you can't see fit to see other points of view.