Patriots sign Baker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

Patriots sign Baker

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/patriots-reach-agreement-with-ex-jet-baker/

Is he a good addition? Is he a pass cathing or blocking tight end?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Mike Reiss just put on his blog that the sides are close.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Mentions that Baker is one of the top FA TE's this year. Good competition for Watson and Thomas. I can still see the Pats drafting a TE this year as well around 3rd-4th round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Patriots sign Baker

This from a jets forum...lol

Baker was a good player and he had incredible hands…. I hope he does come back. New England might gobble him up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Patriots sign Baker

This just in on rotoworld

www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif" alt="" width="400" height="1" />
    Patriots agreed to terms with TE Chris Baker on an undisclosed contract.
    Not exactly revenge for Spygate, but good to see the Jets-Patriots pipeline still working. Baker's career high in catches is only 41, but he can play all three downs competently and block well enough. New England was often short-handed at tight end last year with Ben Watson inconsistent and poor depth behind him. Neither Patriots tight end is likely to be a useful fantasy option.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Patriots sign Baker

i have to believe that these two additions Taylor and Baker make the patriots better right away... Baker is the blocking TE we needed to replace Daniel G.

Taylor gives us a bigger/faster back with a lot of eperience as a supplemental back in Jax system... i think Taylor thrives in situational football and his style really helps us provide a dynamic that was missing last year...

Plus he is a STEELER killer... all of his best games have come aggainst the best deffense in football, which tells me he rises to the occation

If baker is on board i wounder if Thomas or Watson is part of a deal...?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Baker is a liability in the blocking game. His best attribute are his hands. He is very thick H-Back type TE, who can slip underneath coverage and secure a tough catch.

I thought he would be a good fit here. I would like to see them mix him in in a variety of ways.

Ne now has like six TEs on the payroll. The only one that offers any relief if cut is Watson. I guess this means no Te in the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Chris Baker is a Patriot: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/patriots-reach-agreement-with-ex-jet-baker/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Taylor and Baker are both great blockers. How often or do you think the Pats will start a two back set with either or both of these new guys blocking for run support? Realizing this takes away from the passing game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Yeah, I love this line:

"And as one Jets fan just texted me when he heard the news, “Whenever Pats pick up a former Jet, I get a pit in my stomach.” "

Letting Baker go makes Keller a somewhat wasted pick as they are very similar athletes, strong, dense, decent hands.

I laugh when the Jersey Jets grab a Pat. They fear it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Patriots sign Baker

This is a great pickup for the Pats. The tight end position should be done now. Five are on the roster. No more are necessary going into the summer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Patriots sign Baker

[Quote]This is a great pickup for the Pats. The tight end position should be done now. Five are on the roster. No more are necessary going into the summer.[/Quote]

Agree. Taylor and Baker in one day---cannot ask for more. Truly like both signings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Patriots sign Baker

From Scouts, Inc.
    Comment:
    Baker is a short, thickly-built tight end who isn't a powerful blocker at the point of attack, but has enough athleticism to be an effective target in the passing game. He was the third-leading receiver who has good foot agility, quickness and balance to be an effective short and intermediate route-runner. He has improved as a route-runner by using his body to get separation. He has good, reliable hands to extend and make receptions away from his body. Baker doesn't have great burst or speed to stretch deep seams and he can be a liability as a run-blocker at the point of attack or anchoring versus bull rushers off the edge. He has developed into a solid football player, but is somewhat one dimensional because he is primarily used as a receiving tight end and wall-off type blocker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Patriots sign Baker

Much needed pickup, should be a solid adddition with Brady,Moss, and Welker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Patriots sign Baker

With Baker on the team, no need to spend another high draft choice on a TE. Good reciever and tough player.

I actually thought Watson has become a very effective run blocker for New England. Hopefully his production will increase with Brady back in command. I liked Cassel but he zeroed in on his 2 big WRs last year (Welker, Moss). Brady spreads it around more than Cassel could.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Patriots sign Baker

bobomul,

Nice catch. That is what I have been saying. He is more of an H-back type cat, like Dallas Clark but without the top end speed.

I like the signing myself. But people are kidding themselves if they think NE just landed a killer blocker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Patriots sign Baker

[Quote]

With Baker on the team, no need to spend another high draft choice on a TE. Good reciever and tough player.

I actually thought Watson has become a very effective run blocker for New England. Hopefully his production will increase with Brady back in command. I liked Cassel but he zeroed in on his 2 big WRs last year (Welker, Moss). Brady spreads it around more than Cassel could.

[/Quote]

gaffney had more catches (and drops I bet) with cassel in 08 than with brady in 07.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Patriots sign Baker

nice, liking the two pick ups today, if we can add a corner back we can focus on the draft

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Patriots sign Baker

[Quote]Yeah, I love this line:

"And as one Jets fan just texted me when he heard the news, “Whenever Pats pick up a former Jet, I get a pit in my stomach.” "

Letting Baker go makes Keller a somewhat wasted pick as they are very similar athletes, strong, dense, decent hands.

I laugh when the Jersey Jets grab a Pat. They fear it.[/Quote]

Yeah, Jets are goin' down like an elbowed soccer player!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Patriots sign Baker

True, but he also wasn't competing for playing time with Stallworth in 08.