Patriots Sign Defensive Tackle Sealver Siliga

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Patriots Sign Defensive Tackle Sealver Siliga

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/10/22/defensive-tackle-sealver-siliga-signs-with-patriots/

sealver siliga @S_Siliga

Proud to say I am now officially a New England patriot! pic.twitter.com/YJTFJtKlVK

Embedded image permalink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Re: Patriots Sign Defensive Tackle Sealver Siliga

who the hell is that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

who the hell is that

[/QUOTE]

Don't know I am sure one of our patriot diehard friends can help us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

From the article above,

The 6-foot-2, 325-pounder out of Utah was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2011 by the Niners, but released prior to the start of the season. Shortly after that, he was picked up by the Broncos and added to their practice squad. He played one game in 2012 with Denver, and was dealt to the Seahawks this past August, and spent time on their practice squad this past season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From the article above,

The 6-foot-2, 325-pounder out of Utah was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2011 by the Niners, but released prior to the start of the season. Shortly after that, he was picked up by the Broncos and added to their practice squad. He played one game in 2012 with Denver, and was dealt to the Seahawks this past August, and spent time on their practice squad this past season.

[/QUOTE]

ok thanks 0862

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Niners, Broncos, Seahawks.  Good pedigree, even if he is a castoff from them all.  The Broncos experience means that Josh McDaniels knows about him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Good,  they need an extra body on the line to share snaps if only to prevent the vulnerability to the run near the end of games.

..that is if they don't cut him in 4 days.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Long levers, so he can shed his blocker at nose tackle and grab the ball carrier.  He can't pass rush and he had only average strength against a double team during his draft year.  At least he's experienced.

The Patriots are currently 31st in the NFL at defending the run, in terms of yardage.  My instincts are that BB hates this weakness.  When other teams run on you, you can't get any interceptions and you have to respect the running part of the option play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetsslimylapdog. Show nyjetsslimylapdog's posts

He's big...and that's a start....let's see if he can stick around long enough to coach him up and get him into the weight room

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Here comes the 3-4, folks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Long levers, so he can shed his blocker at nose tackle and grab the ball carrier.  He can't pass rush and he had only average strength against a double team during his draft year.  At least he's experienced.

The Patriots are currently 31st in the NFL at defending the run, in terms of yardage.  My instincts are that BB hates this weakness.  When other teams run on you, you can't get any interceptions and you have to respect the running part of the option play.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, good role player to protect the mlb and lessen the ability of teams to run out the clock solely with the run. Decent but not optimal for short yardage.

I think Jones will still be in on passing downs. I mean this could work out OK, Jones had 2 sacks last game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetsslimylapdog. Show nyjetsslimylapdog's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is with Utah and all these Samoan loads at DT and NT?  

ANALYSIS

Positives: Long, thick arms he uses to push back or hold off his man when blocked one-on-one. Plays low, with a strong base. Generally aware of the ball, can shed from the nose to grab running backs coming through either gap. Keeps shoulders square moving down the line. Some hustle downfield, gives effort to spin off tackle for cutbacks. Strong slap to test his man's lateral balance. Good lean forward toward the passer, pulls single blocker to the ground at times. Team captain as a junior.

Negatives: Only average strength against double-teams; stands his ground adequately but does not make much headway. Turned from the hole too easily by better linemen. Will not make many plays in the backfield on his own, or chase ballcarriers from behind, due to slow acceleration and minimal closing speed. Also lacks change of direction ability to corral NFL playmakers.

--Chad Reuter

[/QUOTE]

Salt Lake City is a huge Samoan/American location...they are usually Mormons from the South Pacific and migrated here...they are also heavily members of gangs (no word of a lie)...that applies to many big time athletes of Samoan backgrounds from Salt Lake City...look it up if ya don't believe me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to nyjetsslimylapdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salt Lake City is a huge Samoan/American location...they are usually Mormons from the South Pacific and migrated here...they are also heavily members of gangs (no word of a lie)...that applies to many big time athletes of Samoan backgrounds from Salt Lake City...look it up if ya don't believe me. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the sociology lesson. Who cares?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Let's see - I heard the theory that they released Neblett (a 2nd time) because Kelly might be ready to return.   Now they sign another interior lineman.  

Another theory (mine) is that this is more like mid-season training camp for DT.  They've seen enough of the interior line Law Firm of Vellano, Forston and Jones to know that it cannot hold the fort against the run, nor provide an inside push to collapse the pocket and/or get a sack.  The bodies inside are too small and inexperienced, necessitating a 4-man front.  And as we've seen before, a 4-man front exposes our LBs who are weak in pass coverage.

While we are in musical chair mode I wonder if it would hurt to bring in Myron Pryor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's see - I heard the theory that they released Neblett (a 2nd time) because Kelly might be ready to return.   Now they sign another interior lineman.  

Another theory (mine) is that this is more like mid-season training camp for DT.  They've seen enough of the interior line Law Firm of Vellano, Forston and Jones to know that it cannot hold the fort against the run, nor provide an inside push to collapse the pocket and/or get a sack.  The bodies inside are too small and inexperienced, necessitating a 4-man front.  And as we've seen before, a 4-man front exposes our LBs who are weak in pass coverage.

While we are in musical chair mode I wonder if it would hurt to bring in Myron Pryor.

[/QUOTE]

I was worried about the LB getting a lot more wear and tear with this lighter lineup, wonder if it led to Mayo's injury and if they stick with it are the LB's going to see more injury than usual. Hopefully this is a moot question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

They're taking a look at every available body out there to see who will stick, also there seems to be an effort to find a nose tackle, we have plenty of pass rusher types, we need a rock in the middle, even if it's his only redeemable quality.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They're taking a look at every available body out there to see who will stick, also there seems to be an effort to find a nose tackle, we have plenty of pass rusher types, we need a rock in the middle, even if it's his only redeemable quality.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, at the end of the day, it just more simple than designing Xs and Os around Vince's absence.  Just put a big body there who can at least hold his ground.  Just be fundamental.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Tough to deal with the scenario of both Vince and Kelley being out.  Interested to see what this kid brings to the table.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I have no problem looking at anyone to see if they could be of some help....we certainly could use it.

I still look every day to see what Ratliff is doing..........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Never heard of the guy...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never heard of the guy...

[/QUOTE]

A Parcells draft jem in Dallas....he also had to be pulled away from JJ before he killed him so what's not to like about that....

Injuries may be the end for him though,,,however I did read NO is interested in seeing if he's got anything left in the tank.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good back end/PS type of player. Mainly a run defender and can hold one gap responsibilities with the occassion 2 gap run defense against smaller OL. Don't get overly excited about reports though as he should be thought of as an emergency 6th DT and might not even last a week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

OVERVIEW

Siliga looks like a future reserve in a 4-man front. Has good size and can contribute against the run but can be neutralized with a double-team and doesn't offer much as a pass rusher. Effective run stopper when he gets good hand and hat placement and uses his low center of gravity to get under blockers. However, does not get off blocks quickly and doesn't possess the burst to shoot gaps and penetrate. Overall effort is very good but just does not have the range or speed to make plays outside the box or close on the quarterback.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS

Siliga has good size. Establishes good initial position against the run. Jars offensive lineman with violent hand punch. Can hold up at the point of attack in one-on-one situations. Displays the ability to bull rush to the passer at times. Hard worker who plays to the whistle.

WEAKNESSES

Struggles to disengage from blockers. Does not show the ability to consistently hold up against the double-team. Range in backside run pursuit is limited. Lacks the initial quickness off the ball to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. Doesn't display counter-moves when bull rush is thwarted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Combine results

225 pond bench reps: 29

Broad jump 8' 04 inches

20 yard shuttle 4.75

3 cone drill 7.70

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Signed to Practice Squad.