Patriots to host Crumpler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

The Patriots have found a target for their usual stop-gap veteran tight end position.

Alge Crumpler will visit New England Monday, according to Chris Gasper of the Boston Globe.  Crumpler is looking to fill the medium-sized shoes of Kyle Brady and Chris Baker, who have rolled through town the last few seasons.

With Ben Watson taking trips elsewhere, the Patriots are nearly starting over from scratch at tight end.  Crumpler would primarily help with blocking.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/08/patriots-to-host-crumpler/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Patriots to host Crumpler

I think this would be a great pickup. I hope he signs. The team needs veteran tight end experience badly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

If its for the right price, I would like the signing. If he is paired with a good pass catcher, we can have a pretty nice duo right there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I always liked Crumpler, must be the name, I don't know what he has left, he's 32, but he's better than who we have now. LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots to host Crumpler:
    I always liked Crumpler, must be the name, I don't know what he has left, he's 32, but he's better than who we have now. LOL
    Posted by digger0862

What do you mean? Are you trying to say that Robbie Agnone and Rob Myers are no good?!?!?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

What's a TE? Do you mean RT number 2?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Crumpler would be a great pickup. Unlike pass catching TE's who tend to get beat up alot blocking TE's tend to last a little longer so I don't think he'd be a bad stop gap for whoever we draft this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

The league has changed to a pass catching tight end, all th ehigh power offense's had them... we have no full time running back, and or problems isnt a blocking TE, its a lack of quality back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

He is a little older but he has great hands and he loves to block.  Unless he pisses BB off I see this a great signing.  If he signs Crumpler look for BB to draft a TE in the late rounds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I posted elsewhere on a thread about Crumpler being Belichick's dream TE... He talked glowingly about Alge back durring one of the Pro Bowls where he was a coach.  Alge is not just a Bulldozer (though Chris Johnson said he owed a ton of YAC and YFS from the superb blocking he provided) he can catch the ball amazingly well has soft hands and while he isn't fast he uses his body to the utmost and runs superb routes.  Can you say Brady's next favorite emergency outlet?!
    If they don't sign him I will be so suprised I will jump in the Ocean before the NFL draft... (didn't commit to how long I will stay in there though)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Olsen is not a good fit here unless Belichick decides to use TE more in the passing game and have 2 TE formations used often... don't think I see that happening but you never know Belichick likes to be way ahead of the curve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlpharettaPat1. Show AlpharettaPat1's posts

We need to resign Ben Watson. I think if he's used correctly he would have a big impact.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He's everything Ben Watson was supposed to be.......Ten years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

ALGE will be perfect here....a TE who doesn't need to run out and catch passes (we don't throw to our TE anyways) but can if he needs to. 
     Reminds me of Wiggy (J. Wiggins) --
     If he signs here - he will be nice 'additional' Blocker on that line - so #12 won't get pressured as much as he did last season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I would prefer a receiving weapon for Brady at TE, if we can fix our O-line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Like I said, RT2. NE doesn't need Olsen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Nice to see Breer Backed up what I said hours before he posted about Chris Johnson having monster numbers is partially due to Crumplers road grading effort... CJ speaks highly of him. Heck maybe Laura could even gain decent yardage with him out in front!

UPDATE (6:30 p.m.):
    It's Breer (just for clarity's sake) updating Chris' news here with a link for you ... Check it out, and you'll see that Crumpler played on 700 of the Titans' 1,039 offensive snaps in 2009 (67.4 percent), which is a pretty good number all things considered.

And if you look closely at the Pro Football Focus metrics, you'll see he played a pretty serious hand in Chris Johnson's 2,000-yard season.ice to see

Like I said I will be shocked if we don't get a deal done to bring him in here he helps in all the ways we need help on offense, And he can catch the ball with possibly the softest hands this side of Gonzales at TE. Just doesn't have that break away long distance speed he had when younger. But I have a feeling this offense will become more of a ball controll power offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I live in Atlanta so I watched Crumpler from the beginning. I've always appreciated his ability to catch the ball and run in open space. For years, he was the only target Vick felt comfortable throwing to and he performed very well. On many, many occasions Alge could have done much more but remember, Vick doesn't always throw the most crisp, on-target passes. With Tommy Brady, this would be huge.

He also brings a level of toughness as I watched him get pummelled by opposing defenses (the secret got out quick: Vick loves throwing to Alge) but he played hurt and still performed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I think Alge would be an excellent addition to te Pats...not only is he a goor Pass blocker, but he is also a good run blocker and receiver.....he is the type of player that BB loves.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins248. Show bruins248's posts

He would be a great pick-up, but i know this is going to be a little off topic what about sam aiken, is he still here? if so are they going to rely on him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

When I first heard the Pats were bringing in Te's for a look and their names were CRUMPLER & some exRam named FELLS , human nature kicked in and I immediately considered Crumplers to be the viable option between the two . After further review however , I believe that FELLS might just be the keeper .

Below is his game by game beak down and three things I think stand out .

1) He averaged 13 yards a catch ...not bad for a TE ( same as B Watson )
        His longest rec. 's were 23 , 25 , and 36 , so he must have some type of wheels .

2) He scored twice in one game last year (How many Patriots , tight end or otherwise , can claim that distinction ? ) and 3 tds overall on only 21 receptions

Baker :       14 rec  / 10 yard av.  / 2 tds
     B Watson : 29 rec /   13 yard av  / 5 tds

3)He caught 5 passes in a game ... so he must at least have decent hands

The guy seems to have real upside and I'm sure he can be had fairly cheap ( He only made 370 k last week )

Daniel Fells 46 | Tight end

St. Louis Rams

add this
    Add to my favorite players list
    GAME LOG
     RECEIVINGRUSHING
    WKOPPRESULTRECYDSAVGTDLONGFUMRUSHYDSAVGTD
    1@SeahawksL 0-28199.0090000.00
    2@RedskinsL 7-9000.0000000.00
    3PackersL 17-3623517.52190000.00
    4@49ersL 0-3511717.00170000.00
    5VikingsL 10-385459.00141000.00
    6@JaguarsL 20-232115.5070000.00
    7ColtsL 6-42177.0070000.00
    8@LionsW 17-1013636.01360000.00
    9--- BYE WEEK ---
    10SaintsL 23-2835117.00230000.00
    11CardinalsL 13-21000.0000000.00
    12SeahawksL 17-2712525.00250000.00
    13@BearsL 9-17000.0000000.00
    14@TitansL 7-4733210.70130000.00
    15TexansL 13-16155.0050000.00
    16--- OUT ---
    17--- OUT ---
    Average/Total2127313.03360000.00
    POST SEASON GAME LOG
     RECEIVINGRUSHING
    WKOPPRESULTRECYDSAVGTDLONGFUMRUSHYDSAVGTD
    Average/Total000.00 0000.00
    2009 Season
    REC
    YDS
    AVG
    TDS
    Bio
    Ht: 6' 4"  Wt: 270  Age: 26
    Born: 9/23/1983, Anaheim, CA

NOTE : I posted the above on the "FELLS " topic page as well ...case anybody is keeping score

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Fells is unproven, so you cannot say he is the better option.  We have already seen what Crumpler can bring.  He is not as young as he used to be, but he was credited for some outstanding blocking for the leading NFL rusher of 2009.  Not to mention he has great hands.  No he is not the future, but the combination of the two can be a good thing, especially knowing what BB expects out of his TE's.  Alot of people think that NE needs a recieving TE when that is not the case.  This offense does not pass to the TE.  Hopefully this year that will change.