PATRIOTS TRADE 1st ROUNDER @ 23 for???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[Quote]BB plays the draft just like a Broker plays the stockmarket,he'll sell his shares in todays wheat market for shares of oil in the future.This draft is deep with very good players,with as many as 40-50 of them being of the same quality,so you are probably right in your thinking about his considering a trade for a second this year and a first next year if a team comes at him with that offer I could see him jumping on a deal of the ilk,but for a third no way! They already have 2 third round picks,so unless they think the real gems are hidden in the 3rd round your scenario of 1 and a 3rd don't hold water.Then again I'm not Carnac or BB.[/Quote] That would be the Futures Market, Known as Commodities

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

New England trades pick #23 to .... Goodell for best player available!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

It's been done before and if the deal was good enough value, I think NE would jump at it believing they can get a good OLB at the 34 spot as well. It would really have to be a team desperate for a certain player and in the past, it's almost always been a QB.

*NE traded the #19 to Balt for a high 2nd and a future 1st. Balt wanted Boller
    *Den traded a low 1st to Was for a 3rd+ pick and future 1st. Was wanted Cambell
    *Dal traded a low 1st to CLE for a 3rd and 2nd round swich + future 1st. CLE wanted Brady Quinn.

Maybe if Sanchez or Freeman drops the the #23, some team will give up a 2nd and future 1st. But I just can't see a QB falling past all the teams in front of the Pats that need one: Jets, Bears, Bucs, Lions, Vikings

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

they were aggressive in the FA,and have set up the team to compete,and win now.to where it gives them flexibility to do what they want in the Draft.there are no glareing needs to where they have to target a certain player.they can trade up,or down.they can trade away picks for next year,or trade for a player on another team.instead of a LB,or DB,they could target a OL player with no.23.the pats are sitting in a position to pretty much do what they want.at least in the range of there 4.4 million in cap space.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Interesting thought. I think it would be more likely that they trade a 2nd round pick this year for a first round pick next year. One of the issues that makes trading for next year's picks is that there may not be enough roster spots for all of the picks this year. Picking up a 3rd rounder this year wouldn't decrease the total number of roster spots for the rookies.

However, you are right about Crable, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor here as well, although I think he would be a 3rd down defensive end rather than an outside linebacker.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Are you BB or Carnac? You seem very sure of what the Patriots are going to do. There is no way they trade there #1 pick. We need to draft our future OLB and this is the year for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

BB trades 23 for a second this year and a second or third next year. Or picks an offensive lineman---the outside linebacker comes at 34, methinks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

New England trades pick #23 to .... the Detroit Lions for pick #20 to pick up some player just hanging there, such as (you never know who will drop, but it's always somebody) . . . Aaron Maybin. The upwards jump costs NE its natural fourth rounder. The Philadelphia Eagles are furious inside but say nothing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wafostermisionero. Show wafostermisionero's posts

1st Round Selection in 2010 plus a 3rd Round Selection this year

Gentlemen, 3 things that could affect this reasoning. First, the Patriots are indeed targeting Jason Taylor to play Rush OLB this year at a bargain price.. Second, the Patriots like Shawn Crable their 3rd Round Selection from last year and do not need to take an OLB at 23 with the additions of Taylor and Banta-Cain, allowing Crable to develop..And thirdly, what if a team desperate to move up on draft day to get ¨their guy¨offers a 2010 1st Rounder and a 3rd rounder this year? THAT IS A POSSIBILITY ALSO...I say the Pats trade their 1st Rounder at 23 and still get a guy they like at 34 - an OL like Beatty, Britton, Unger or an Alex Mack...there are plenty of OLB with solid 2nd round grades who can be had at say pick 47 or 58 - Clint Sintim out of Virginia, then the third rounder obtained can go to a CB like Mike Mickens of Cinncinati or a DJ Moore out of Vandy...AND WE STOCKPILE FOR 2010 WITH AN EXTRA FIRST ROUNDER!

Your thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I am kind of on the fence with RM....I don't think he has it upstairs to handle the changes required in a BB defense. I'm sure if we end up drafting him, he must have what it takes cuz in Bill we trust. I am on board with faucet relative to doing it now...not trading picks to the future unless its to move up to get a "now" talent that gets us there this year. I would like to see a perfect season, with a Super Bowl victory....so Mercury Morris could shut the * up.
    Looks like Barwin's pro day further impressed people. I don't think he will be there at 34, no matter what Casserly says...I just don't. Casserly might be right, but some team won't be able to help themselves.
    I am getting back on the William Moore bandwagon...he has all the physical tools and looked great at his pro day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I think its an interesting idea, but I think we could get more than an extra 3rd rounder for a pick that's almost in the teens.

I think either a low second, or a switch of second rounders (and possibly 3rd rounders as well).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I am not sure if it will effect thier discisions, but with an uncertain labor situation next year, do you guys think teams would be hesitant or more willing to trade picks into next years draft? There seems to be pros and cons either way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I see the pick being traded,but if one of the big name OL men is there,then they could use it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]

I am kind of on the fence with RM....I don't think he has it upstairs to handle the changes required in a BB defense. I'm sure if we end up drafting him, he must have what it takes cuz in Bill we trust. I am on board with faucet relative to doing it now...not trading picks to the future unless its to move up to get a "now" talent that gets us there this year. I would like to see a perfect season, with a Super Bowl victory....so Mercury Morris could shut the * up.
    Looks like Barwin's pro day further impressed people. I don't think he will be there at 34, no matter what Casserly says...I just don't. Casserly might be right, but some team won't be able to help themselves.
    I am getting back on the William Moore bandwagon...he has all the physical tools and looked great at his pro day.

[/Quote]
    I agree, RM does not have what BB looks for in a player as far as he been smart specially in his LBs. Connor if it's not picked up by the Pats he'll go to the Dolphins. I have James Lai... at 23 but would like Barwin there even more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

with the pats just being 4.4 million under the cap,and wanting to redo wilforks contract ect,and they have many draft picks.it wouldnt surprise me to see them trade no.23.and even more so if a player they are targeting for there first pick could land at no.34,or on down.