Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value

We all get stoked each year for the NFL draft and critique each Pats pick like we're an accomplished GM (at least I do). 

It's absolutely amazing how much value the Pats get out of players who weren't even drafted.  Some they pick-up themselves and develop (BJGE, GUYTON, ETC) and others they get from other teams (WELKER, WOODHEAD, ETC). 

Courtesy of Mike Reiss, here's a breakdown of all the players that went undrafted and are on the current roster - many of them making significant contributions.

CB Kyle Arrington
    CB Leigh Bodden*
    S Sergio Brown
    CB Tony Carter
    OL Dan Connolly
    LB Dane Fletcher
    K Shayne Graham
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    LB Gary Guyton
    QB Brian Hoyer
    LS Matt Katula
    OL Mark LeVoir
    S Bret Lockett*
    DL Kyle Love
    S Brandon McGowan*
    OL Stephen Neal*
    WR Wes Welker
    OL Ryan Wendell
    LB Tracy White
    RB Danny Woodhead
    DL Mike Wright

Goes to show how important the scouting dept and emphasis on player development is.  I haven't compared this to other rosters yet, but my guess is nobody has more undrafted players contribuiting to their teams as much as the Pats do. 

I will have to remember this in April when the Pats decide to "Trade Down"!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value

"I haven't compared this to other rosters yet, but my guess is nobody has more undrafted players contribuiting to their teams as much as the Pats do."

I'm not sure if it's correct but I think I read a few weeks back that Tampa was the only team in the league with more UDFA's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value:
    [QUOTE]"I haven't compared this to other rosters yet, but my guess is nobody has more undrafted players contribuiting to their teams as much as the Pats do." I'm not sure if it's correct but I think I read a few weeks back that Tampa was the only team in the league with more UDFA's.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, you have to give them major props also.  While they're not in the Pats league, they seem to be on the way up. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

I think the reason that the PATS target some of these undrafted free agents, is because they have a burning desire to prove the rest of the world wrong...

They play with a cip on their shoulder and never lose that desire to succeed.  They know where they came from and realize they have to work very hard to stay in the NFL....

ALSO, i think this is a true testament to the skill of the BB coaching staff and system.  They are able to put any player, in the best position to succeed.

I LOVE THE PATS and WHO THEY HAVE BECOME....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]I think the reason that the PATS target some of these undrafted free agents, is because they have a burning desire to prove the rest of the world wrong... They play with a cip on their shoulder and never lose that desire to succeed.  They know where they came from and realize they have to work very hard to stay in the NFL.... ALSO, i think this is a true testament to the skill of the BB coaching staff and system.  They are able to put any player, in the best position to succeed. I LOVE THE PATS and WHO THEY HAVE BECOME....
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

Well said Smokingjoe!  I concur 100% with what you say.  In addition to having a chip on their shoulder and wanting to prove the world wrong, you also have to consider they haven't been given lot of up front money like a 1st round draft pick.  A high first round pick can get fat & happy with their new found wealth before they ever put on their new helmet! 

It will be interesting to see how/if things change with a new rookie wage scale.  If high 1st round picks aren't groing to be given $50M guaranteed anymore, many of them wont have the chance to get fat & happy and will be committed to fighting for their next contract.  Makes you wonder how many of these 1st round busts won't be immediate busts anymore!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

There was another thread started on this subject yesterday. 

The colts currently have 18 undrafted players on their active roster and another 8 on IR. 

I expect that every team has targeted a number of players beyond their active roster.  Many of those they bring into training camp (if they don't choose another team) to learn whether or not their original assessment about the player was correct. 

I think the good teams with good front offices and scouting departments are always prepared to bring in the "next" player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value:
    [QUOTE]We all get stoked each year for the NFL draft and critique each Pats pick like we're an accomplished GM (at least I do).  It's absolutely amazing how much value the Pats get out of players who weren't even drafted.  Some they pick-up themselves and develop (BJGE, GUYTON, ETC) and others they get from other teams (WELKER, WOODHEAD, ETC).  Courtesy of Mike Reiss, here's a breakdown of all the players that went undrafted and are on the current roster - many of them making significant contributions. CB Kyle Arrington CB Leigh Bodden* S Sergio Brown CB Tony Carter OL Dan Connolly LB Dane Fletcher K Shayne Graham RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis LB Gary Guyton QB Brian Hoyer LS Matt Katula OL Mark LeVoir S Bret Lockett* DL Kyle Love S Brandon McGowan* OL Stephen Neal* WR Wes Welker OL Ryan Wendell LB Tracy White RB Danny Woodhead DL Mike Wright Goes to show how important the scouting dept and emphasis on player development is.  I haven't compared this to other rosters yet, but my guess is nobody has more undrafted players contribuiting to their teams as much as the Pats do.  I will have to remember this in April when the Pats decide to "Trade Down"!!!!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

Reiss has a point, and all of those guys fit it and do their jobs. But some of those guys were UFAs elsewhere and were unearthed by some other GM. Guys like Welker and Bodden proved themselves as legit pros long before they were Patriots.  No doubt BB has helped them to flourish though. 

If the larger point is that guys like the above fit in the Pats system because they possess high character and the work ethic needed to make an NFL roster as UFAs, then I agree.  But some of those guys cut their teeth elsewhere.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots Undrafted Free-Agents = Tremendous Value : Reiss has a point, and all of those guys fit it and do their jobs. But some of those guys were UFAs elsewhere and were unearthed by some other GM. Guys like Welker and Bodden proved themselves as legit pros long before they were Patriots.  No doubt BB has helped them to flourish though.  If the larger point is that guys like the above fit in the Pats system because they possess high character and the work ethic needed to make an NFL roster as UFAs, then I agree.  But some of those guys cut their teeth elsewhere.  
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

You are correct in that some of these players cut their teeth elsewhere.  However, the point of my post was it's amazing how many undrafted players the Pats have on their roster who have made significant contributions to the team - regardless of whether they are homegrown or from another team. 

I'm usually most exceited about the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft then get less excited about the later rounds.  This year I might have the opposite approach!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

[QUOTE]There was another thread started on this subject yesterday.  The colts currently have 18 undrafted players on their active roster and another 8 on IR.  I expect that every team has targeted a number of players beyond their active roster.  Many of those they bring into training camp (if they don't choose another team) to learn whether or not their original assessment about the player was correct.  I think the good teams with good front offices and scouting departments are always prepared to bring in the "next" player. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

yeah, we don't really know how many undrafted f-a  are on a typical (median?) roster, it was posted somewhere that everyone in KC's O-Line is an ufa...