Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

'Struggled with his preseason appearences'

And since he's more than likely playing with a team of prospects instead of starters how is that a showcase for his skills?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Won't happen, Tom Brady makes that deal highly unlikely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Won't happen, Tom Brady makes that deal highly unlikely.

[/QUOTE]

If Brady suffers a serious injury he will probably retire. Not having a backup without at least some experience with the complicated offense the team runs would pretty much can the next two seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

If he is traded, I have a tough time seeing it being any higher than a 3rd rounder. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he is traded, I have a tough time seeing it being any higher than a 3rd rounder. 

[/QUOTE]

If people out there are willing to throw first rounders after the likes of Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbart and JaMarcus I don't see why a 2nd for a guy with good tools and some study time under a great QB is out of the question.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can't see a 2nd unless it's a later 2nd, but why not shoot for the moon. I see something closer to an early 3rd to early 4th range for Mallett

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Learning from one of the best QB's of all time.... a 2nd seems fair.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't see a 2nd unless it's a later 2nd, but why not shoot for the moon. I see something closer to an early 3rd to early 4th range for Mallett

[/QUOTE] I can't see BB trading him for anything less than a early 2nd round pick, and at that it would be a steal for whoever makes that deal. More likely BB will want an additional pick in the middle rounds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

It would take a 2nd to make BB pull the trigger, since anything less is not equal to his value as a backup. If say, the Vikings offered a 2nd, I would jump on that and never look back. In an ideal situation, there wouldn't be much market for Matt Cassel and you could bring him back as the backup. If not him, you sing a veteran and take a guy in the 4th or 5th to develop just like they have done with so many others. Maybe they could talk a guy like Charlie Batch out of retirement for a year to hold the clipboard, or maybe get Josh McCown away from the Bears?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't see BB trading him for anything less than a early 2nd round pick, and at that it would be a steal for whoever makes that deal. More likely BB will want an additional pick in the middle rounds.

[/QUOTE]

Why can't you see it? Next year Mallett could leave with the Pats getting nothing at all, except maybe a comp pick? Which is a back of the 3rd at best anyways and most likely lower. If a 3rd is the best they can get I think BB will take it.

As for the team would steal him for a 2nd, no sure where that comment is coming from. He had 1st round talent 3 years ago but none of us have seen it develop in the preseason and he's going to want a contract better than a rook deal after next year so there is a cost element in there. It's a lot of risk for any team to take, that 1 he can be a starter and two that he will won't a team friendly deal. It would be a steal if he becomes a top 10 QB but that's not a guarantee either so steal might be a stretch when discussing an early 2nd pick.

Asking a early 2nd and mid round picks? Yeah no one is doing that ever, esp when there is decent QB talent that is suppose to go into the 2nd already. Why take Mallett who has his contract coming up when you can take a younger guy under your control longer for just a 2nd instead of a 2nd and more. A 3rd gives them value, a 2nd does not at that point.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Take it and run for a 2nd

hope for a 3rd 

take a 4th

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I could see the Pats trading Mallett and #62 to Houston in exchange for #33.

This way, the Texans can grab Clowney #1 and have a QB too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

If we were to get a comp pick after the 3rf round next year, why trade for a 3rd this year?

He knows the system, if called upon I think Bb would call much the same game. I think it would take a 2 nd for it to be worth it to BB, unless he feels that he has a legit b up in mind.

I don't know of anyone that is available that even has a chance to replace  Brady, either in the draft, next year draft, or FA. I am really not even a fan of this yrs top picks. 

Who knows maybe cousins when he becomes a FA , and that  would be close to Brady hanging it up? But he isn't going to come here and back up TB either

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

If we were to get a comp pick after the 3rf round next year, why trade for a 3rd this year?

He knows the system, if called upon I think Bb would call much the same game. I think it would take a 2 nd for it to be worth it to BB, unless he feels that he has a legit b up in mind.

I don't know of anyone that is available that even has a chance to replace  Brady, either in the draft, next year draft, or FA. I am really not even a fan of this yrs top picks. 

Who knows maybe cousins when he becomes a FA , and that  would be close to Brady hanging it up? But he isn't going to come here and back up TB either

Because chances are we won't. Unless some team goes crazy and gives him a big deal and he takes them to the playoffs and the Pats basically sign no one then we have a shot at a comp 3rd in 2016. Would you really want to sign no good players in 2015 at a low chance shot of a comp 3rd 3 drafts down the road vs a higher 3rd round pick this year it a strong draft?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

Because chances are we won't. Unless some team goes crazy and gives him a big deal and he takes them to the playoffs and the Pats basically sign no one then we have a shot at a comp 3rd in 2016. Would you really want to sign no good players in 2015 at a low chance shot of a comp 3rd 3 drafts down the road vs a higher 3rd round pick this year it a strong draft?

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a great idea what we should do, and really no one does. The lower the draft pick the worse the odds of getting a franchise Qb. I know people like mayock have said this is a deep draft, but in the 3rd round we are not looking at a starter. So the question is , is Mallett the best bu Qb for this team next year? And is that more valuable than a bu at another position?

the real problem is there is no replacement for TB. 

And TB is getting up there, an injury to him gets more likely, Why trade Mallet and then find we need Mallett, and what if he turned out to be pretty good, I am not going to judge him on just seeing a few pre season games. But I am sure BB has a pretty good idea of how good mallet can be.

And, a 3rd round pick by its own definition means the player is not seen as a future all pro. and has questions. 

I think the pats are in a box without great answers at Qb

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't have a great idea what we should do, and really no one does. The lower the draft pick the worse the odds of getting a franchise Qb. I know people like mayock have said this is a deep draft, but in the 3rd round we are not looking at a starter. So the question is , is Mallett the best bu Qb for this team next year? And is that more valuable than a bu at another position?

And TB is getting up there, an injury to him gets more likely, Why trade Mallet and then find we need Mallett, and what if he turned out to be pretty good, I am not going to judge him on just seeing a few pre season games. But I am sure BB has a pretty good idea of how good mallet can be.

And, a 3rd round pick by its own definition means the player is not seen as a future all pro. and has questions. 

[/QUOTE]

Well most likely Mallett will leave next year to another team unless he becomes a starter here so it's a gamble that Brady will get injured vs he isn't and we don't get anything except maybe a comp pick 3 drafts down the road. Personally, if Brady goes down we are in deep trouble regardless who's backing him up so why not add that extra player now then a possible worse player later?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well most likely Mallett will leave next year to another team unless he becomes a starter here so it's a gamble that Brady will get injured vs he isn't and we don't get anything except maybe a comp pick 3 drafts down the road. Personally, if Brady goes down we are in deep trouble regardless who's backing him up so why not add that extra player now then a possible worse player later?

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I guess I am willing to believe that if TB should. Go down, that mallet has an outside chance of winning. He does have a gun and he has been here and knows the system, and I sort of thought that in each preseason game he started slow but then looked better. I think he is capable of getting the team to the playoffs, and then we don't know how good he can be under pressure. 

And if there is no chance of winning without TB what good does an extra player do us? So I am just going to look at 2014, and I did say to trade only if we BB had a good bu in mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

That's hilarious.  Based on what?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's hilarious.  Based on what?

[/QUOTE]

It may very well be. I am just a fan , All I said was he has a gun, knows the system and is training under TB, and plays for a well coached team. And was considered a number 2 talent except for his problem which no longer is pertunent. The odds are long, no doubt. But what are the best odds. We won't have the benefit of getting a Luck, after having a Peyton. 

I am not a front runner, I will root for whomever is qb. There is no obvious choice, but remember that even farve was let go in a trade. It's going to be very very difficult for us pats fans when TB goes