Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's hilarious.  Based on what?

[/QUOTE]

It may very well be. I am just a fan , All I said was he has a gun, knows the system and is training under TB, and plays for a well coached team. And was considered a number 2 talent except for his problem which no longer is pertunent. The odds are long, no doubt. But what are the best odds. We won't have the benefit of getting a Luck, after having a Peyton. 

I am not a front runner, I will root for whomever is qb. There is no obvious choice, but remember that even farve was let go in a trade. It's going to be very very difficult for us pats fans when TB goes

[/QUOTE]
    Well wait a minute.  He was considered a #1 talent but had drug and discipline problems.  You can say that is no longer pertinent (I assume that was the word you intended), but you don't know that and I don't know that.  The pats are the most buttoned up team in the NFL.  If there were internal problems (like possibly for Hernandez), no one would ever know unless (like Hernandez) the player was arrested.  That serves the pats purposes for players under contract, but I can't imagine that it serves their purpose, especially considering that they like to take on talented problems, when it comes time to make a deal on the market for them. 

Too bad Lombardi was fired.  He may have been your opportunity.  Other opportunities are prior Pats employees that saw Mallet's development in person.  If he is that great, those are the guys that would give a 2 for him.  The rest of the league would, imo, say no thanks, the guy was drafted as a 3, and hasn't been great in his time on the field. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cassel.  

[/QUOTE]

Bwahahahahaha!

Much better offense talent back then then now.

TEARS!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't have a great idea what we should do, and really no one does. The lower the draft pick the worse the odds of getting a franchise Qb. I know people like mayock have said this is a deep draft, but in the 3rd round we are not looking at a starter. So the question is , is Mallett the best bu Qb for this team next year? And is that more valuable than a bu at another position?

the real problem is there is no replacement for TB. 

And TB is getting up there, an injury to him gets more likely, Why trade Mallet and then find we need Mallett, and what if he turned out to be pretty good, I am not going to judge him on just seeing a few pre season games. But I am sure BB has a pretty good idea of how good mallet can be.

And, a 3rd round pick by its own definition means the player is not seen as a future all pro. and has questions. 

I think the pats are in a box without great answers at Qb

[/QUOTE]

Well most likely Mallett will leave next year to another team unless he becomes a starter here so it's a gamble that Brady will get injured vs he isn't and we don't get anything except maybe a comp pick 3 drafts down the road. Personally, if Brady goes down we are in deep trouble regardless who's backing him up so why not add that extra player now then a possible worse player later?

[/QUOTE]

If Brady goes down, the season, for the Pats, is over...period

[/QUOTE]

Cassel.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mallet is Cassel....he was a drafted with a high pick, yes, but he's not as good, IMO!...and without improving the middle of the off. line, he'd get killed. Cassel has a good O Line playing in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on the Oline, I am not sure we can win if this isn't improved

Paecells nailed It when he said that whoever controlled the space behind the donkey center would win.  This is true with any pocket passer. 

I am okay with casel.

As backup, but does Mallett have a higher upside? I also  always liked Hoyer, but Bb stayed with Mallett. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If I were a general manager in the NFC I'd throw out a second rounder, get Mallett, see in August if he's about as good as planned, then try to sign him for another three years. 

BB was smart enough to draft Brady.  BB was smart enough to pick up Matt Cassell, and ride him to an 11-5 record when Brady was down.  BB picked up Mallett and hung on to him as the primary backup for three years.  What's right with Mallett? 

Mallett may not be a Tom Brady but he's probably better than ten starting NFL quarterbacks.  He has three years of NFL experience, is perfectly healthy, has a rocket arm and has yet to get skittish in the face of a rush. 

Mallett and his agent probably want to leave the Patriots now or a year from now, because the starting quarterback job in Foxboro is a lower-probability shot than almost anywhere else.  Nobody in Foxboro (except for maybe a dumb Jets fan) is yelling for BB to put the new guy in, and these same fans will yell things all day at the wide receivers, strong safeties and backup defensive tackles.  Nor is Tom Brady particularly unhealthy or limping.

However, BB has a workable backup QB in Mallett.  He won't part with Mallett unless he has drafted somebody else up-and-coming.  Think Zoltan versus the new kid, Ryan Allen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I were a general manager in the NFC I'd throw out a second rounder, get Mallett, see in August if he's about as good as planned, then try to sign him for another three years. 

BB was smart enough to draft Brady.  BB was smart enough to pick up Matt Cassell, and ride him to an 11-5 record when Brady was down.  BB picked up Mallett and hung on to him as the primary backup for three years.  What's right with Mallett? 

Mallett may not be a Tom Brady but he's probably better than ten starting NFL quarterbacks.  He has three years of NFL experience, is perfectly healthy, has a rocket arm and has yet to get skittish in the face of a rush. 

Mallett and his agent probably want to leave the Patriots now or a year from now, because the starting quarterback job in Foxboro is a lower-probability shot than almost anywhere else.  Nobody in Foxboro (except for maybe a dumb Jets fan) is yelling for BB to put the new guy in, and these same fans will yell things all day at the wide receivers, strong safeties and backup defensive tackles.  Nor is Tom Brady particularly unhealthy or limping.

However, BB has a workable backup QB in Mallett.  He won't part with Mallett unless he has drafted somebody else up-and-coming.  Think Zoltan versus the new kid, Ryan Allen.

[/QUOTE]

If you were a GM, every team in the NFL would hope you were in their division, because you don't consider the 4th quarter valuable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It may very well be. I am just a fan , All I said was he has a gun, knows the system and is training under TB, and plays for a well coached team. And was considered a number 2 talent except for his problem which no longer is pertunent. The odds are long, no doubt. But what are the best odds. We won't have the benefit of getting a Luck, after having a Peyton. 

I am not a front runner, I will root for whomever is qb. There is no obvious choice, but remember that even farve was let go in a trade. It's going to be very very difficult for us pats fans when TB goes

[/QUOTE]
    Well wait a minute.  He was considered a #1 talent but had drug and discipline problems.  You can say that is no longer pertinent (I assume that was the word you intended), but you don't know that and I don't know that.  The pats are the most buttoned up team in the NFL.  If there were internal problems (like possibly for Hernandez), no one would ever know unless (like Hernandez) the player was arrested.  That serves the pats purposes for players under contract, but I can't imagine that it serves their purpose, especially considering that they like to take on talented problems, when it comes time to make a deal on the market for them. 

Too bad Lombardi was fired.  He may have been your opportunity.  Other opportunities are prior Pats employees that saw Mallet's development in person.  If he is that great, those are the guys that would give a 2 for him.  The rest of the league would, imo, say no thanks, the guy was drafted as a 3, and hasn't been great in his time on the field. 

[/QUOTE]

they obviously were blindsided by the Hern deal. To think they would give him a new big contract knowing his true nature is sort of rediculous. 

And 
    one would have to believe the Mallett issue has been solved, especially with drug testing. 

We don't really know what Lombardi would of traded for mallet and given a 2, but now that he is with the pats, and if he did think Mallett was worth a two, that is what he is telling Bb now

finding an elite Qb is not easy, especially when drafting where the zPats do. What Bb does is take calculated risks on hi talent players that have been devalued for any number of reasons

I think most of us pats fans understand we may have to draw into an inside straight

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much where I am

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-patriots-want-second-round-pick-in-ryan-mallett-trade/

"Ryan Mallett trade talks will never go away.

When the New England Patriots picked Mallett in the third round of the 2011 NFL draft, he was supposed to be either the future quarterback or an important trade chip. With Mallett entering the last year of his rookie contract and Tom Brady signed through 2017, it’s more likely Mallett will be traded.

If the Patriots trade their backup quarterback, they’ll want a second-round draft pick in return, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Mallett has attempted just four regular-season passes in his three years with the Patriots. He has struggled in his preseason appearances.

Plenty of NFL teams could use either a starter or a backup to compete with their current quarterback. The Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Oakland Raiders all could be in the market for a quarterback like Mallett.

If the Patriots trade Mallett, they likely would try to find Brady’s successor in the 2014 NFL draft."

-----

if they could, that would be a steal, but #3 is more likely. Good to try to find Brady's successor sooner rather than later.

[/QUOTE]

never get more than a fourth round pick for mallet

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they obviously were blindsided by the Hern deal. To think they would give him a new big contract knowing his true nature is sort of rediculous. 

And 
    one would have to believe the Mallett issue has been solved, especially with drug testing. 

We don't really know what Lombardi would of traded for mallet and given a 2, but now that he is with the pats, and if he did think Mallett was worth a two, that is what he is telling Bb now

finding an elite Qb is not easy, especially when drafting where the zPats do. What Bb does is take calculated risks on hi talent players that have been devalued for any number of reasons

I think most of us pats fans understand we may have to draw into an inside straight

[/QUOTE]

Well blindsided by Murder, sure (at least I hope so), but I am willing to bet that Hernandez wasn't a boy scout for them - remember the comment Welker made about him when he was a rookie.

Ultimately - my point again is that the pats operate a buttoned up organization and very few players speak publicly and when they do, like belichick, they say nothing.  And no one knows what goes on inside.  Did anyone know that Jonathon Martin was being bullied regularly?  And the dolphins are easily an open book compared to the pats. 

Again - Mallet was taken as a 3 by a team that didn't need a QB. A team that did need a QB didn't choose him?  And no movement has taken place yet for such a talent?  And he hasn't exactly performed specatularly when he's had the chance - right? 

Only a team that is truly desparate would give a 2, imo.  But that's ok.  You guys are fans.  Hope for the best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-patriots-want-second-round-pick-in-ryan-mallett-trade/

"Ryan Mallett trade talks will never go away.

When the New England Patriots picked Mallett in the third round of the 2011 NFL draft, he was supposed to be either the future quarterback or an important trade chip. With Mallett entering the last year of his rookie contract and Tom Brady signed through 2017, it’s more likely Mallett will be traded.

If the Patriots trade their backup quarterback, they’ll want a second-round draft pick in return, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Mallett has attempted just four regular-season passes in his three years with the Patriots. He has struggled in his preseason appearances.

Plenty of NFL teams could use either a starter or a backup to compete with their current quarterback. The Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Oakland Raiders all could be in the market for a quarterback like Mallett.

If the Patriots trade Mallett, they likely would try to find Brady’s successor in the 2014 NFL draft."

-----

if they could, that would be a steal, but #3 is more likely. Good to try to find Brady's successor sooner rather than later.

[/QUOTE]

and I want a Rolls Royce and condo on the beach in Hawaii

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

If Brady goes down, the season, for the Pats, is over...period

[/QUOTE]

People who say this have no idea why you need a good backup QB.  It's not to carry the team after your superstar QB is gone for the year.  It's to keep the ship afloat if your superstar QB has to miss 1-4 games for a minor injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

As late as it is in Brady's career you'd think they'd be concerned about his sucessor.  

Brady plays the whole game whether they are in a tight one or up by 4 touchdowns.  No one knows what Mallet can or can't do because he never plays in any real games. I suspect that whoever replaces Mallet will suffer the same fate till Brady gets hurt or retires.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The more I think about this, the less likely I believe a Mallett trade will happen.  Why?  What does Mallett have for a resume? Not a lot other than a gun for an arm and that he's stayed out of the deep darks since the Pats drafted him.  Is there a team out there willing to dangle a second?  Perhaps but I don't really think so.  A third?  Probably but would the Pats take a 3rd for him?  Don't thnk so.

From a Pats perspective, who backs up Brady?  Other than a vet FA or a rookie, I don't know.

In terms of signing Mallett, what exactly does he or his agent have for leverage?  Seems to me that there's better than a 50/50 chance he stays with the Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The more I think about this, the less likely I believe a Mallett trade will happen.  Why?  What does Mallett have for a resume? Not a lot other than a gun for an arm and that he's stayed out of the deep darks since the Pats drafted him.  Is there a team out there willing to dangle a second?  Perhaps but I don't really think so.  A third?  Probably but would the Pats take a 3rd for him?  Don't thnk so.

From a Pats perspective, who backs up Brady?  Other than a vet FA or a rookie, I don't know.

In terms of signing Mallett, what exactly does he or his agent have for leverage?  Seems to me that there's better than a 50/50 chance he stays with the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

What is the resume of Bridgewater, Johnny Football, Bortles and the like? None, all gambles at high costs.

I think many over value draft picks, way too much.

I believe Walter Football . com did a study regarding regarding how draft picks worked out over a 10 year period.

First round picks are worth it, which by the way is why they have such high values on the draft pick scale.

Something like 70% of the 1st rounders taken over 10 years were considered to have been worth the pick.

After that it's nothing more than a crap shoot.

The second round, 10 year value, was around 50%, i, e, nothing more than a coin toss.

The third round fell to 30% were considered worth the value.

By the 4th you are on a free fall, only 22% were considered worth the value.

The 5th rd on was only in the single digits...

"Value" was graded as still on a NFL roster, length of service, Pro Bowl, stats for each respective position. It was well thought out.

So, a third round pick has a ~70% chance of not ending up a value pick. Really poor odds but it is what it is.

And yet, Mallett, who was considered by many, to be the number one QB in the draft and just needed to gain a bit of maturity, is now deemed to be a joke, unworthy of even a 3rd rounder, a 3rd round pick who likely won't make it yet Mallett, at a position that's the hardest to find, is trash who can't even be given away.

I will never, ever, ever...understand the logic in some who degrade Malletts value.

If you are Houston....you had better be sure, really, really sure before you pass on Jadeveon Clowney before you take the midget in Johnny Football, or the uneven and skinny Bridgewater, or the small school Bortles....all huge risks with the number one pick with none of them even close to the value of a Andrew Luck.

How did all those QB's taken last year work out...check the track record.

Houston should take Clowney at 1, a Tackle at 2, and toss the Pats their # 3 for Mallett...yes, that Mallett...for a # 3 pick that has a 70% chance of not being a value pick for us over 10 years for a QB that has a 1000% chance of working out more than any other QB who will be taken in the 3rd round this year.

The odds favor Houston, not NE regarding this deal.

We need need to stop thinking about 3rd rd picks and beyond as having the value of high relief Saint Gaudens gold coins.

They do not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is the resume of Bridgewater, Johnny Football, Bortles and the like? None, all gambles at high costs.

I believe Walter Football . com did a study regarding regarding how draft picks worked out over a 10 year period.

First round picks are worth it, which by the way is why they have such high values on the draft pick scale.

Something like 70% of the 1st rounders taken over 10 years were considered to have been worth the pick.

The second round, 10 year value, was around 50%, i, e, nothing more than a coin toss.

"Value" was graded as still on a NFL roster, length of service, Pro Bowl, stats for each respective position. It was well thought out.

So, a third round pick has a ~70% chance of not ending up a value pick. Really poor odds but it is what it is.

And yet, Mallett, who was considered by many, to be the number one QB in the draft and just needed to gain a bit of maturity, is now deemed to be a joke, unworthy of even a 3rd rounder, a 3rd round pick who likely won't make it yet Mallett, at a position that's the hardest to find, is trash who can't even be given away.

I will never, ever, ever...understand the logic in some who degrade Malletts value.

If you are Houston....you had better be sure, really, really sure before you pass on Jadeveon Clowney before you take the midget in Johnny Football, or the uneven and skinny Bridgewater, or the small school Bortles....all huge risks with the number one pick with none of them even close to the value of a Andrew Luck.

Houston should take Clowney at 1, a Tackle at 2, and toss the Pats their # 3 for Mallett...yes, that Mallett...for a # 3 pick that has a 70% chance of not being a value pick for us over 10 years for a QB that has a 1000% chance of working out more than any other QB who will be taken in the 3rd round this year.

We need need to stop thinking about 3rd rd picks and beyond as having the value of high relief Saint Gaudens gold coins.

They do not.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspective, NMPL, and you may very well be right. The percentages on relative pick success is particularly helpful in placing many opinions expressed in this forum in context.

I'm still not convinced about the level of interest that Mallett will draw but time, as they say, will tell.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

They do not.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspective, NMPL, and you may very well be right. The percentages on relative pick success is particularly helpful in placing many opinions expressed in this forum in context.

I'm still not convinced about the level of interest that Mallett will draw but time, as they say, will tell.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but keep in mind what's at play here. Many GMs are in love with possible picks that are behind door number 3. It's human nature. It's why Let's Make A Deal was such a huge TV hit. People pass on a moderate value for the possibility of a huge value behind door # 3....and it sometimes works out but more likely than not they lose everything.

Mallett has not been moved because the Patriots didn't want to move him. However it didn't stop them from asking a low # 1 or high # 2 last April.

Everything I own is for sale....at a high price of course...but if someone wants to over pay for it I'm selling it.

Same concept.

Mallett is more tradable this spring than he was last.

And the Patriots will start high and lets others counter.

But I would encourage Houston to look at QBs that will still be there in the 3rd rd and try to convince themselves those few have a stronger resume and upside that Mallett.

My guess is knowledgeable GMs around the league know the answer to this.

Last April the Pats asked high....while teams offered low.

I'll wager the dance gets more real and more serious this April....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Here are your 11 QBs taken in the NFL 2013 draft.

Round One: E J Manuel to the Bills

Round Two: Geno Smith to the Jets

Round Three: Mike Glennon to the Bucs

Round Four: Matt Barkley to the Eagles

Round Four: Ryan Nassib to the Giants

Round Four: Tyler Wilson to the Raiders

Round Four: Landry Jones to the Steelers

Round Seven: Brad Sorensen to the Charges

Round Seven: Zac Dysert to the Broncos

Round Seven: B J Daniels to the 49’ers

Round Seven: Sean Renfree to the Falcons

Now, Manual, looked “OK” time will tell. Injured and pick happy but let’s see yr 2.

Smith…..ummmm….let’s move on…

Glennon, may well be the pick of the liter, we’ll see…they said he was very “Mallett like”

Barkley and Nassib…back ups at # 4..and Mallett ain’t even worth a 4?

Wilson, who knows, Arkansas product who was called a Mallett wanna be…

Jones, another back up.

Round 7 guys will fall off the edge of the earth never to be heard from again….

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes, but keep in mind what's at play here. Many GMs are in love with possible picks that are behind door number 3. It's human nature. It's why Let's Make A Deal was such a huge TV hit. People pass on a moderate value for the possibility of a huge value behind door # 3....and it sometimes works out but more likely than not they lose everything.

Mallett has not been moved because the Patriots didn't want to move him. However it didn't stop them from asking a low # 1 or high # 2 last April.

Everything I own is for sale....at a high price of course...but if someone wants to over pay for it I'm selling it.

Same concept.

But I would encourage Houston to look at QBs that will still be there in the 3rd rd and try to convince themselves those few have a stronger resume and upside that Mallett.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting points.  What is Mallet's body of professional work? Other than having a fresh arm, what has he done professionally to garner a 2nd round draft choice? 

[/QUOTE]

What have the others done to garner a 1st....this here we round the Mulberry Bush circuler logic is brain numbing to me...it really is....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Personally I think it's lower than 50/50 that he stays with the Pats ATJ. Simple because he wants to be a starter. If Brady has lets say 3-4 more years that means Mallett won't see starting time until he's in his upper 20's, not to mention you know BB isn't going to give him any type of real money to stay. Mallett's best bet is to take a 1-2 yr deal from a team wanting a QB and wants to double dip for one in FA and the draft (ala Sea), which is becoming more common. Mallett gets his chance to prove he's a starter and if it doesn't work he makes some quick cash and can move on to his next chance with another team.

As for who backups Brady, well since Bledsoe left Brady's backups have been vets in the last years of their career and UDFA's (other than Mallett). The thing is without Brady this team is going to crash anyways. Everyone likes to point out Cassell but when you look at that team it was a 18-1 team the year before with most of the players coming back and it was the weakest schedule the Pats have played in the BB era. So, Cassell was ok but he got lucky on the year he got his shot and took advantage of it. I'm not saying they can pick up just anyone but why not bring back a Cassell or you can take a early day 3 roll of the dice on a kid like Aaron Murray from Georgia. If not for ACL injury and not being able to work out this predraft season he'd be a early 2nd round prospect. Great talent but had the injury which should cause him to drop. I wouldn't take him with anything day 1 or day 2 in the draft but back of the 4th early 5th that's a good place to gamble on a high upside player.

I think BB knows Mallett is gone next season and they most likely won't even get a good comp pick if they let him walk so the thinking might be anything in the top 75 they take it and run, anything from 76-100 they have to think about and might just grab it and ask for a mid day 3 pick too, anything past 100 they want future picks instead.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Same concept.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting points.  What is Mallet's body of professional work? Other than having a fresh arm, what has he done professionally to garner a 2nd round draft choice? 

[/QUOTE]

What have the others done to garner a 1st....this here we round the Mulberry Bush circuler logic is brain numbing to me...it really is....

[/QUOTE]

Compare Mallett to to any of the college players.  Which would you rather have playing  for yor team??  team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Personally I think it's lower than 50/50 that he stays with the Pats ATJ. Simple because he wants to be a starter. If Brady has lets say 3-4 more years that means Mallett won't see starting time until he's in his upper 20's, not to mention you know BB isn't going to give him any type of real money to stay. Mallett's best bet is to take a 1-2 yr deal from a team wanting a QB and wants to double dip for one in FA and the draft (ala Sea), which is becoming more common. Mallett gets his chance to prove he's a starter and if it doesn't work he makes some quick cash and can move on to his next chance with another team.

As for who backups Brady, well since Bledsoe left Brady's backups have been vets in the last years of their career and UDFA's (other than Mallett). The thing is without Brady this team is going to crash anyways. Everyone likes to point out Cassell but when you look at that team it was a 18-1 team the year before with most of the players coming back and it was the weakest schedule the Pats have played in the BB era. So, Cassell was ok but he got lucky on the year he got his shot and took advantage of it. I'm not saying they can pick up just anyone but why not bring back a Cassell or you can take a early day 3 roll of the dice on a kid like Aaron Murray from Georgia. If not for ACL injury and not being able to work out this predraft season he'd be a early 2nd round prospect. Great talent but had the injury which should cause him to drop. I wouldn't take him with anything day 1 or day 2 in the draft but back of the 4th early 5th that's a good place to gamble on a high upside player.

I think BB knows Mallett is gone next season and they most likely won't even get a good comp pick if they let him walk so the thinking might be anything in the top 75 they take it and run, anything from 76-100 they have to think about and might just grab it and ask for a mid day 3 pick too, anything past 100 they want future picks instead.

[/QUOTE]

You bring up some good points here. I was going to say just hang on to him because with Brady being another year older his health could start to come into question as early as next season. We already have started to see those chinks in the armor...that hand injury, the shoulder, he came up limping a bunch of times...he's getting old, don't be surprised if he starts missing games. This is what happens with older quarterbacks, they start to miss games, but you're right...what are the odss we win without him the way this team is built right now? Not good if you ask me.

This is not the 07/08 roster, a guy like Mallett (or anyone else) may find the sleading very tough...he won't be throwing to a Moss or Welker like Cassell did. The only thing we have close to that is Gronk, and gronk may never be gronk again with that knee...certainly not next year anyway.

I think you just have to ask yourself...is Mallett the permanent solution? I don't think he is. Do I think he can start in the NFL? It's tough to say - he certainly has the arm and height you love to see - but I've watched this guy make poor decision, after poor decision in these preseason games. People say...well he wasn't playing with starters, what do you expect? Well he wasn't going against starters either, he's going against exactly what he was playing with...backups. He couldn't move the ball against backups? While playing with backups?? That's very telling too me. Brady didn't do that when he got his chance in those preseason games years ago - he moved the ball - it didn't matter who he was going against, or who he was playing with...he always moved that ball. Mallett most certainly doesn't.

I think with the right scheme, coaching and players around him Mallett might be solid enough, but I don't think this is a guy who we will be kicking ourselves over if we let him go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

If the Pats could get a second ofr him they MIGHT take it.  If they cannot get a second for him they SHOULD NOT trade him, as the backup can be so important when you need it.  I highly doubt they trade him unless it is draft day, and BB still likes a QB that is still on the board.  Remember, we have no idea how the Pats rate Mallet, and they see him every day.  They know what he is made of, we have no clue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I guess I want to the know the 3rd or 4th round draft pick that would serve us better than Mallett

1) for 2014

2) past 2014 if TB goes down

and given the less than 50/50 chance of any third rounder being a quality Nfl player,       i just dont see the odds in getting rid of Mallet this year for a 3

And again only BB knows what Malletts ceiling  might be, not us looking at Pre season games

n

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess I want to the know the 3rd or 4th round draft pick that would serve us better than Mallett

1) for 2014

2) past 2014 if TB goes down

and given the less than 50/50 chance of any third rounder being a quality Nfl player,       i just dont see the odds in getting rid of Mallet this year for a 3

And again only BB knows what Malletts ceiling  might be, not us looking at Pre season games

[/QUOTE]

For the sake of argument, if Brady doesn't get injured next season and say that 3rd was used on a starting caliber RG (yes they are available in the 3rd), that G could become a starter in 14' or any year after which is a position of need. 

If Brady does go down, given what talent is on the team, do you honestly feel Mallett can take over and bring this club deep into the playoffs? Lets face it this team is a major work in progress. The OL is a mess and who knows if Vollmer or Solder will give you full seasons anymore. Mankins and Wilfork are both aging and they are achors at their respective positions. The secondary needs 2-3 more pieces. There is no TE position to speak of right now and even if Gronk comes back will he be the same Gronk and how long will he stay around? The WR core is a mystery to everyone what they will become and the only stable good looking core on the team is the LB position which only goes 3 deep right now. There's a lot of holes and positions lacking depth right now. Without Brady we'd be looking at a complete rebuild which would take years anyways so what does Mallett give you that another QB wouldn't given they would have to rebuild anyways? At least an extra 3rd could be an additional piece to help fill some holes this year and into the future.