Patriots's Luck?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

Patriots's Luck?

Two years ago, if somone told that the next year we would lose the best offensive player on the team, and then the following year, we would lose the best defensive player on the team, all in the first game of the season, I would have said Fat Chance!
    To win championships, you have to be lucky and good. The Patriots may have been jinxed when they lost the superball to some lucky bastards two years ago. Since then, their luck has been running low.

Let's hope that this tunrs around. Wellker's injury may not be minor either. Knee injuries dont exactly heal in a week or two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Patriots's Luck?

Don't know how serious all of the injuries are, but it sure looks like we are starting a typical Pats season where we get hammered by the injury bug.  A while back I posted a link to an excellent article by the Dallas Morning News.  One of their writers analyzed all 32 teams injuries for 2008, and the last 10 SB winners.  We all know injuries effect a team, but I was surprised at just how much.  8 of the top 10 healthiest teams were in the playoffs.  Most of the remaining playoff teams were not far behind.  Probably not a coincidence.

The good news is that one of our SB wins came when we had the most injuries of all teams in the NFL.  We also had one where we ranked solidly in the bottom half.  Only in our 2001 SB was the team in the top 10 healthy teams.  Last year we were the 29th healthiest.

Other facts: The Chargers were the 9th healthiest team last year.  When the Colts won their SB, they were also in the bottom half.  The Colts are essentially the only team outside of the Pats that have done so well with so many injuries.  We did it more often though.  Apart from the Colts and Pats, all of the SB winners in the last 10 years were in the top 10 healthiest teams for their respective year.  Many were in the top 5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I should add that the injury stats validate more than anything, the Pats philosophy of having a deep roster of solid players.  For all of those wanting big bucks players, injury stats compared to playoff appearances points strongly towards depth.  when you load up with big bucks studs at the expense of depth, you just have to get lucky and hope you don't take too many injuries.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I was listening to Mike Tomlin on PTI last week, discussing the Troy Polamalu injury and he said something to the effect that, in the NFL, you have to expect that you will be injured at some point, to some extent, every year. This is very telling. It is the nature of the business that you WILL get hurt in the course of a normal season EVERY year. Obviously this is an over-simplification and not hard-and-fast. I would suggest that conditioning and fundamentals have more to do with injuries than "luck," but I can see where losing key players in the opening moments of the season in consecutive years might lead some to believe that the football gods are angry with the Pats. Heaven knows -- when Eli escaped the rush and that ridiculous Hail Mary he threrw stuck to the side of David Tyree's head, that's exactly what I said -- "The football gods have decreed that the Pats will not be undefeated."

But the NFL season is a war of attrition, and more than anything it is depth that wins championships. Luck is nice to have, whenever it comes around, but you can't count on it. Going into a season expecting to win every game is simply not realistic, and while the Pats certainly have looked so far as if the rebuilding has taken them down a notch lower than many expected, let us not forget that a 9-7 team should have won the Super Bowl last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Every team will get hit with the injury bug, it's the team that's playing healthy and strong late in the year that goes to the championship.  And I like the Pats chances everytime.