Pats D tied for 3rd in scoring defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Pats D tied for 3rd in scoring defense

Our defense is quietly tied for third in the NFL in scoring defense.  Are we that good or is it the opposition we have played?  I know we have broken down at some key moments unfortunately.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Pats D tied for 3rd in scoring defense

At this point in the season, you can't say its our opposition. They get paid to make good decisions on offense and somehow, we force them into mistakes and eventually, points. We have 13 games of data and the one constant is our defense in those 13 games so yes, it's us.

The pass rush seems to be getting a little better, which is great news. The other thing I've noticed a lot all season is our ability to get hands on balls without coming away with the interceptions. We deflect many passes and some seem right in their grasps but we just don't get the pick we need. That could be a huge tide-turner if our secondary learns to grab the ball and come down with it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

The stats dont really matter. Belichick showed you what he thought about our defense when he went on 4th and 2 against Indy. He has no confidence in this group. There is no real pass rush, no sacks. Watch the numbers good quarterbacks put up on this defense. Manning, Brees had monster games. Don't forget the games that Trent Edwards, Kyle Orton and Chad Henne had against us. Wasnt there 2 80yd drives by Orton in 4th quarter. Henne threw 52 times against this defense. Thats all we need to know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

They are probably ranked 1st for blown leads in the 4th qtr.  

The defense plays good against bad teams and gets killed by good qb's. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"They are probably ranked 1st for blown leads in the 4th qtr.  

The defense plays good against bad teams and gets killed by good qb's. "

Yep. Always trust your eyeballs over stats if you're watching the games. If you have, you know that good QBs often dissect us late and the best teams have moved the ball at will on us in the fourth quarter (see: Indy loss).  That said, the improved pass rush is a welcome sign - keeping in mind that we were playing the hapless doormat Bills.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The problem here is the defense is not good. Statistics are nice to look at after the season is over but this defense can't stop any good offense when the game is on the line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Guys, we are still 9-5. That is 4 games above .500, and right now good enough to clinch the AFC East. That means as of right now we are the 4th best team overall in the AFC. I have to think the team has gotten better from the start of the season. Defense seems to be winning games for us right now and that for some reason makes me feel a little more comfortable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

The other side of the coin...If Brady and the offense could produce more 1st downs, then the Pats may only have one loss all year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

BB has something up his sleeve. Just wait till the P-Offs where the A-Braves of Football (Indy) come up short again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

actually i believe scoring defense refers to points allowed, not points that the defense has scored as the name suggests

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

actually i believe scoring defense refers to points allowed, not points that the defense has scored as the name suggests
    flutie66

Yes, points allowed is the stat he is referring to.  It has become popular around here lately to quote BB's not so original quote of "stats are for losers" outside of it's intended context.  As if BB doesn't have a team of statisticians that work for him.  But I think the stat of- points scored, or points allowed is as basic a stat as record and it can tell you things about a team.
    I've seen the Pats defense execute more 3 and outs this year than I can remember in the past few years.  But they seem to break down sometimes and allow 20 play drives.  There is a lack of consistency and I don't know the exact reason for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

There are more blown leads from the failure of the offense to score when needed than fromthe defense failing to stop defenses.
    It is unrealistic to expect the defense to stop every offense from ever scoring anytime we have a lead. Gee, the best defense in the NFL can't do that.
    The offense needs to step up!
    We are losing the leads in the second half because the offense is failing to score!
    Actually the defense is better than i expected it to be given all th changes in the personnel in the past year. good work "D"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Defense wins championships.........bad defense  ==> no title
    I hope to God I am wrong...but guess what.. no title this year.
    Unless we have a great off  season with the draft and FA's I think it will be a while before we have a dominant defense again.
    Which is a shame becasue Brady will soon be on the backside of his career.