Pats Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Pats Defense

If the Patriots defense can just be in the middle of the pack on passing defense the Pats will be in the SB again this year-most likely against the Packers. Our run defense is fine and will be improved with Hightower and Jones --it's our Pass Defense that needs to improve and be ranked somewhere around 14th-15th in the AFC and we will be fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Pats Defense

I hate to comment about how this defense will look without actually seeing it, but I would have to say the linebackers on this team should be very good against the run. We just have to make sure the defensive linemen are going to be able to do it. You know what we have in Wilfork...is Fanene a good, stout run defender? I think Deaderick is a run defender from what I've seen and like his physical game better than Love's. Warren has probably seen his better days. Can Brace do something...Pryor? To me the line is the question - which also leads to the success or failure of the backers. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Id like to see the pass defense better then last year, but id rather see us become top 10 in ppg allowed, as we have been for the majority of BB's tenure. As long as 4 guys off the street is not our starting secondary again, we should be good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We need better pass coverage from the LBs as well. I'm hoping that's something we get with Hightower and the OLB candidates.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JetsMangione. Show JetsMangione's posts

The defense is going to be a top 5 in the NFL. They have too many studs out there now. Hightower and Jones will be 1 and 2 for defensive rookie of the year. Ras Dowling is going to be a top 3 corner in the NFL this year. The Patriots defense is going to be amazing. This is my prediction. 

I'm more concerned about the offensive line and Brady's throwing than I am the defense at this point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Ras-I Dowling staying healthy, McCourty getting back to where he was his rookie season and Chung staying healthy would do wonders for this Pass D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Pressure from the revived front seven and a more ball control style of offense will make this defense substantially better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Pats Defense": [QUOTE]We need better pass coverage from the LBs as well. I'm hoping that's something we get with Hightower and the OLB candidates. Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] Yup, that was a huge problem last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

More pressure = less time for the opposing Qb to hold the ball and giving them jittery feet will create better coverage opportunities for everyone.  It's plenty obvious we need more turnovers and better third down defense, couple this with a well rounded offensive game plan and Pat's win another ring.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Bobby Carpenter is supposed to be a very good coverage LB.  He could prove to be a very valuable player for us on 3rd down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Spikes INT was nice, but overall the LB's pass coverage was spotty during the year. A lot of those third down conversions were made against the LBs and not the secondary. There were also some good plays from the LBs but the consistency wasn't there and too many completions for first downs were given up on second and third and long. And as wozzy says, pressure will help a lot too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

i think pressure and defending the pass are the issues. and the two are obviously directly related. they should be fine (and perhaps a lot better than that) against the run and have made some real strides in the LB departement - more athletic, more versatile, deeper. they clearly do not have an established, prime time pass rusher (unless a. carter comes back at full strength) so one hopes the by- committee (scott, fanene, ninkovitch, hightower, scott, big vince et al) approach gets er done. tought to predict the seconday. they simply need mccourty, arrington, moore, and dowling to be better individually and as a group. one hopes that gregory will give them some much needed leadership and stability at the safety position and teaming up with chung will give the pats two guys you can count on... agree with the opening premise. middle of the road pass defense probably gets them to the super bowl.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

agreed Wozz and Prolate! The edge pressure I think will be dramatically improved with the new potential playmakers, The Interior D'line not so sure with inside pressure up the middle but very adequate stopping the between the tackles run. How they pair up the inside LB'ers will be interesting as they appear deadly against the run and the up the middle pressure primarily coming from them and capable of dropping back in coverage as well depending on the situation and defensive signals. I think Belichick now has his full complement of D players who have the ability to execute the way he wants to work his D game.

Yes, improved outside D pressure on the QB will reap more mistakes and turnovers and improve (less time) the secondary coverages. The passing yardage against this year will drop dramatically with the edge rush, as it lQQks like the pieces are now in place.

On the O side I think Ridley and especially Bolden are going to surprise and JMcD will implement more balanced and exciting game plans. BB has set us up for an exciting season ... The few tools that were missing are now in place. Gonna be exciting folks!

Have a good night all - I'm up early where I'm at now and Semper Fi to you jimmy...thanks for posting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Defense:
    [QUOTE]More pressure = less time for the opposing Qb to hold the ball and giving them jittery feet will create better coverage opportunities for everyone.  It's plenty obvious we need more turnovers and better third down defense, couple this with a well rounded offensive game plan and Pat's win another ring.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree, pressure is that one thing that can cover up for so many other things. Truthfully the pressure last year was an improvement over what we had in previous seasons, but I think they were expecting something up the middle from Haynesworth (which of course didn't happen). Being able to rush with only four would be a dream come true, we wouldn't have to blitz with a linebacker and leave guys in coverage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I enjoyed Spikes's INT in the AFC Title game. Coverage looked great to me.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere[/QUOTE]

I think if you put Spike's brain into Mayo's head, he'd be an insinctive guy in coverage. Fletcher was totally lost in coverage (and other things) last year, so maybe he can make that jump with an off season of studying. Hightower might be able to cover. Maybe Tarpinan (no idea if that's spelled right) will be that guy they bring in during situations? Of course a rush will make it all look better as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]More pressure = less time for the opposing Qb to hold the ball and giving them jittery feet will create better coverage opportunities for everyone.  It's plenty obvious we need more turnovers and better third down defense, couple this with a well rounded offensive game plan and Pat's win another ring.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Right

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I expect the run D to be fine. Add Hightower to the mix and if Spikes is healthy and this is a very good LB corps.

The bigger Q regarding D is pass D and the biggest Q there is pass rush. I expect a better pass rush this year. Jones and hightower and even Mayo should be helpful. Nink is better at it when he is fresh and with the new players I think it likely he will be fresh more often.

On the coverage side we have upgraded our safeties with FA and draft. Not small matters. At CB I expect the young guys - McCourty, Arrington, Moore and maybe significantly Dowling to all make impacts. I expect Dowling to be solid if healthy. I expect McCourty to have 5-8 picks if the pass rush is reasonable. I expect a lot of picks from this secondary overall and fewer big yardage plays.

It will NOT be what they do in games 1-12, especially statistically. It will be what they do in games 13-16 that will tell you what level of quality this D is. I expect a top 10 D over the course of games 13-16.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Pats Defense": [QUOTE]I expect the run D to be fine. Add Hightower to the mix and if Spikes is healthy and this is a very good LB corps. The bigger Q regarding D is pass D and the biggest Q there is pass rush. I expect a better pass rush this year. Jones and hightower and even Mayo should be helpful. Nink is better at it when he is fresh and with the new players I think it likely he will be fresh more often. On the coverage side we have upgraded our safeties with FA and draft. Not small matters. At CB I expect the young guys - McCourty, Arrington, Moore and maybe significantly Dowling to all make impacts. I expect Dowling to be solid if healthy. I expect McCourty to have 5-8 picks if the pass rush is reasonable. I expect a lot of picks from this secondary overall and fewer big yardage plays. It will NOT be what they do in games 1-12, especially statistically. It will be what they do in games 13-16 that will tell you what level of quality this D is. I expect a top 10 D over the course of games 13-16. Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE] I think if they're going to be a top ten D, you have to asks yourself....is Jones going to be better than Carter? And is Scott going to be better/as explosive as Anderson? Because I think you have to replace that production first and then see if you can add/be better than before. Guys like Fenane, Hightower, and Gregory have to be the real deal for us and Dowling has to stay healthy and be as good as advertised. Also you can't have the usual injuries that seam to land on Spikes and Chung. Those are some serious questions that will be needed to be answered before this defense turns into a top ten unit. I would think that with some luck and Belichick it could happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

The Pats gave up 26 passing TDs last year which put them at 22nd; to get to middle of the pack, they would have to give up two fewer passing TDs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

mt

what were your expectationds for Carter/Anderson last year?  Certainly not what they produced, but I do remember a number of anderson's sacks were true garbage time sacks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You can't stare at statistics all day, you'll go blind.  Despite the penchant for some posters here to point at a specific stat like passing yards allowed for example, to say the defensive backfield alone stinks is incorrect.  

The defensive line collapses the pocket so the edge rusher's and linebackers can provide pressure so the coverage people can do their job. If there is a breakdown anywhere along that chain, it's the coverage people that look horrible.

This defense WILL be better because we've taken all the positive elements from last year and infused a substantial amount of free agent and rookie talent into it. Andre Carter and Mark Anderson for all their good work here were one dimensional pass rusher's who only had one season with no training camp to figure out this defense.  IMO the defense is vastly improved sight unseen...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]mt what were your expectationds for Carter/Anderson last year?  Certainly not what they produced, but I do remember a number of anderson's sacks were true garbage time sacks
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought of both of these players. I thought Carter was a professional pass rusher playing out of position in Washington. When he walked through our door, the guy looked like a absolute freak of physical nature...long arms, big hands, ripped to the bone...just a freak. Add that to some real good NFL pass rush production and I thought he'd do well here. I honestly did and I said almost the exact same thing (word for word) last year right when they signed him.

I didn't know much about Anderson and just noticed that he had real good sack output for one season in Chicago and that they were really high on him there until he played full time at end and blew it. He went to Houston and got some sacks in limited opportunities, which I thought was a good sign. So basically I knew nothing about him. However I'll say this - in his first pre season game here I thought he looked like the best player on the field. I don't remember many of our outside guys being that explosive in the past, to go along with the length he brought to the table. He was able to bend around that corner and get into the QB's face in an instant. I was totally stunned.

So yeah, I thought they both were going to help us and I thought our pass rush was going to be very special as long as Haynesworth was pushing from the inside (which he wasn't). I think it's obvious that Anderson is a one trick pony however (although a real good one) and I don't think Buffalo will get the return from their investment from him. I think Anderson will get exposed big time if he is starting full time at end or outside backer. 

This is what I think of the two guys we added. I think Jones looks like he will be a very good player - just off what I saw from college clips. Big guy, long arms, moves pretty well for his size...I don't know, but he looks like a 43 defensive end to me. I don't have a clue about Scott - he had one good year of production doing something that most can't do in the NFL (rushing the passer). He's got good length...who knows?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There were many isuues with the 2011 D.

Surprise. Only 7 teams gave up more yards per carry on the ground.

Surprise. Only 9 teams gave up more TDs.

Not a surprise. Only 3 teams gave up more net yards per pass attempt.

Not a surprise. No team gave up more 1st downs than them.

Not a surprise. They gave up 1.7 yards more per play than the best defense in the league and were one of only 4 teams that gave up over 6 yards a play.

Not a surprise. Only one team had more interceptions and only 6 teams recovered more fumbles.

Clearly the defense only excelled at turnovers. Every other area mentioned needs significant improvement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Pats Defense": I think if they're going to be a top ten D, you have to asks yourself....is Jones going to be better than Carter? And is Scott going to be better/as explosive as Anderson? Because I think you have to replace that production first and then see if you can add/be better than before. Guys like Fenane, Hightower, and Gregory have to be the real deal for us and Dowling has to stay healthy and be as good as advertised. Also you can't have the usual injuries that seam to land on Spikes and Chung. Those are some serious questions that will be needed to be answered before this defense turns into a top ten unit. I would think that with some luck and Belichick it could happen.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You are right - It is no sure thing by any means. They will have to earn it. And to earn it they will have to learn it! That is why I say that games 13-16 will be most important in gauging the quality of this D going into the playoffs.

But I do not exactly agree that it is one to one comparisons that will be telling. It will be units and how effectively they work together.