Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243

Spent the weekend in Philly before heading to the game.

In no particular order, my thoughts:

1) Philly is a great city.  I like the vibe; like the fact that it has come back from being SUCH a busted city in the late 80s and 90s.  Went to a play, toured the historic district, admired the architecture.  It struck me as a bite-size NYC.  Definitely look forward to going back.  Coming from DC, it was nice to visit a "real" city with a downtown that has energy and not a bunch of lifeless federal buildings.

2) Food.  Wow.  Even thoughI had a cold, the eating was memorable.  I would hit 300 lbs in a hurry if I lived there.

3) I liked the stadium; really liked it's co-location with the Phillies, 76ers and Flyers park/arena.  Plus they're all next to the interstate.  Smart stuff.  Easy traffic. 

4) We were in the upper sections of the stadium, so the entertainment was first rate, especially as the Great Unravelling picked up momentum.  Several fans kicked out, including a guy right behind us, who jogged down the stairs pumping his fists to cheers, Rocky-style, then flashing the "V for victory" as security "helped" him into the concourse tunnel.

Game Thoughts:

5) A good QB will gouge the Pats.  I know the D is a work in progress, and hats off to BB for what he has done, I just hope they continue gelling, bc there's a way to go.  The completions are going to come against this secondary.  I'm glad they have a 5-game practice schedule coming up, because they will need those games to prove to themselves they can shake off big plays, and that mental toughness or lack thereof is what will determine how far this team goes in the playoffs.  Bottom line.

6) Pocket awareness, and the 6th sense to know how much, where and how fast he has to move to elude rushers seems to be finally settling back in with Brady.  I think it's been missing since his injury.  I haven't seem them play live in years, but it's the most pocket confidence I've seen him exhibit in a long time.   
    7) Watching the TD pass to Gronk made me appreciate the windows Brady throws into.  When he let it go, I thought "well, that's a pick".  Silly me. Also made me appreciate the trust he has in Chuck Gronkowski; he knows #87 won't let it be picked without a fight.

8) Line of the night:  After Brady completed his first pass (a 5 yarder to gronk), when we were facing a quick 7-0 hole and a LOUD crowd, my buddy turned to me and said, "Let the surgery begin."  That drive fizzled, but ultimately that's what it felt like, clinical surgery.  The theme worked all game, and we called for "scissors", "clamps" and "sponge" after good plays.  After the strike to Gronk, I said, "ok, close him up."

9) I feel for Philly fans.  They are passionate, funny and edgy (I was more "mindful" of where I was than at any Skins games), and they have ZERO faith in their Eagles.  They were pumped to jump out to a 10-0 lead, but you could feel the "oh no" aura wash over the stadium as soon as the Pats got a TD back.  There was still cheering, but when the Pats went up 14-10, the grumbling got cranking and the crowd knew what was coming.  By halftime, many seats never got refilled. 

10) Best fan altercation moment: a female Philly fan left because she was sick of the guy she was sitting near heckling the Eagles.  She had a few choice words for him, then he proceeded to heckle her the entire way as she walked down from the top of the upper deck.  Awkward.  Yet hilarious.

11) The 3rd and 4th quarters were a slog in front of a silent, mostly empty stadium, even if an enjoyable one.  Between trying to convince the ladies that we should stay 'til the end, not think about that bathroom break I reaaally needed,  and the endless penalties...I was ready for them to wrap it up.

12) Quarters 3 and 4 reminded me of watching a python strangle a deer.  Equal parts boring and fascinating, it was uneventful because you knew the final outcome,  though there would be brief snippets of excitement.  Every brief excitement (deer struggling - will it escape??....umm, no, of course not) always ended with a tighter grip by the python on its prey...

13) I think Andy Reid is a good coach, but he has worn out his welcome in Philly.  Even the world's most reasonable heckler sitting in front of us -- "Do a better job!", was his chant of choice -- seemed to place to the blame on Monsieur Reid.  "Fii-yer Andy" 'clap clap clapclapclap' chants (there were many) were the high point of fan unity after the first touchdown.

Great experience.  Many thanks to General Brady and the troops for ending our awesome weekend on the highest note possible.    Even my wife, a huge Redskins fan, was feeling no pain as we decimated the hated iggles on enemy territory.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243

Excellent! I always like to read about the fans experience at live games.  Well Done and thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Great post.. well done.. giv'em 50cc Morphine and close up.. I can't save this one. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Nice, Good game story!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Great post!  I really enjoyed reading it...can't wait to catch the Pats next time they swing through Carolina.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

thanks guys, glad you liked. 

It was a good time, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of this board, so I figured I owed it to the "team" to give a recap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jallen1952-formelyJallen3531. Show jallen1952-formelyJallen3531's posts

In Response to Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243:
    [QUOTE]Spent the weekend in Philly before heading to the game. In no particular order, my thoughts: 1) Philly is a great city.  I like the vibe; like the fact that it has come back from being SUCH a busted city in the late 80s and 90s.  Went to a play, toured the historic district, admired the architecture.  It struck me as a bite-size NYC.  Definitely look forward to going back.  Coming from DC, it was nice to visit a "real" city with a downtown that has energy and not a bunch of lifeless federal buildings. 2) Food.  Wow.  Even thoughI had a cold, the eating was memorable.  I would hit 300 lbs in a hurry if I lived there. 3) I liked the stadium; really liked it's co-location with the Phillies, 76ers and Flyers park/arena.  Plus they're all next to the interstate.  Smart stuff.  Easy traffic.  4) We were in the upper sections of the stadium, so the entertainment was first rate, especially as the Great Unravelling picked up momentum.  Several fans kicked out, including a guy right behind us, who jogged down the stairs pumping his fists to cheers, Rocky-style, then flashing the "V for victory" as security "helped" him into the concourse tunnel. Game Thoughts: 5) A good QB will gouge the Pats.  I know the D is a work in progress, and hats off to BB for what he has done, I just hope they continue gelling, bc there's a way to go.  The completions are going to come against this secondary.  I'm glad they have a 5-game practice schedule coming up, because they will need those games to prove to themselves they can shake off big plays, and that mental toughness or lack thereof is what will determine how far this team goes in the playoffs.  Bottom line. 6) Pocket awareness, and the 6th sense to know how much , where and how fast he has to move to elude rushers seems to be finally settling back in with Brady.  I think it's been missing since his injury.  I haven't seem them play live in years, but it's the most pocket confidence I've seen him exhibit in a long time.    7) Watching the TD pass to Gronk made me appreciate the windows Brady throws into.  When he let it go, I thought "well, that's a pick".  Silly me. Also made me appreciate the trust he has in Chuck Gronkowski; he knows #87 won't let it be picked without a fight. 8) Line of the night:  After Brady completed his first pass (a 5 yarder to gronk), when we were facing a quick 7-0 hole and a LOUD crowd, my buddy turned to me and said, "Let the surgery begin."  That drive fizzled, but ultimately that's what it felt like, clinical surgery.  The theme worked all game, and we called for "scissors", "clamps" and "sponge" after good plays.  After the strike to Gronk, I said, "ok, close him up." 9) I feel for Philly fans.  They are passionate, funny and edgy (I was more "mindful" of where I was than at any Skins games), and they have ZERO faith in their Eagles.  They were pumped to jump out to a 10-0 lead, but you could feel the "oh no" aura wash over the stadium as soon as the Pats got a TD back.  There was still cheering, but when the Pats went up 14-10, the grumbling got cranking and the crowd knew what was coming.  By halftime, many seats never got refilled.  10) Best fan altercation moment: a female Philly fan left because she was sick of the guy she was sitting near heckling the Eagles.  She had a few choice words for him, then he proceeded to heckle her the entire way as she walked down from the top of the upper deck.  Awkward.  Yet hilarious. 11) The 3rd and 4th quarters were a slog in front of a silent, mostly empty stadium, even if an enjoyable one.  Between trying to convince the ladies that we should stay 'til the end, not think about that bathroom break I reaaally needed,  and the endless penalties...I was ready for them to wrap it up. 12) Quarters 3 and 4 reminded me of watching a python strangle a deer.  Equal parts boring and fascinating, it was uneventful because you knew the final outcome,  though there would be brief snippets of excitement.  Every brief excitement (deer struggling - will it escape??....umm, no, of course not) always ended with a tighter grip by the python on its prey... 13) I think Andy Reid is a good coach, but he has worn out his welcome in Philly.  Even the world's most reasonable heckler sitting in front of us -- "Do a better job!", was his chant of choice -- seemed to place to the blame on Monsieur Reid.  "Fii-yer Andy" 'clap clap clapclapclap' chants (there were many) were the high point of fan unity after the first touchdown. Great experience.  Many thanks to General Brady and the troops for ending our awesome weekend on the highest note possible.    Even my wife, a huge Redskins fan, was feeling no pain as we decimated the hated iggles on enemy territory.
    Posted by fatsam72[/QUOTE]

I'm usually not into reading lengthy posts, but this was really good.  Thanks...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Enjoyable read,thanks for posting. I could really visualise some of those incidents u describe so well.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

good post, but i think that the defense can hold their own against "good quarterbacks" .. they will give up yards like they always do but play tough in the red zone like they always do. they held down rivers, rothlisberger in the 2nd half, manning for the most part, those are all pro bowl qbs. they didn't have their best games but they kept them in the game. the defense is also improving each week, slowly starting to get it, tackling better.. even with all of the injuries.

the offense is getting back on track and putting up the points again as well, they will be ok come playoff time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I usually don't read long post but this one was enjoyable and thanks for the insights on the city. My view of the city was that it was one big dump. I guess I will rethink that. Good post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Much like most people I usually don't read long posts, but found myself doing it with this one and enjoying it. Nice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243:
    [QUOTE]thanks guys, glad you liked.  It was a good time, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of this board, so I figured I owed it to the "team" to give a recap.

You're normally taking your life into your hands in Philly as a fan of the visiting team. Glad you survived unscathed!

I too am in Skinsland, and I have my tix already for 12/11 - fifteen rows from the field on the Patriots sideline. Can't wait.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Pats-Eagles - Observations from Section 243:
    [QUOTE]I usually don't read long post but this one was enjoyable and thanks for the insights on the city. My view of the city was that it was one big dump. I guess I will rethink that. Good post.
    Posted by raptor64d[/QUOTE]

My wife and I drive down there quite a bit and hang out in center city.  Parking is cheap, lots of nice stuff to do.  I watched the game with an Eagles fan at my house, it was a rough first 10 minutes, but I was calm about it.  Then you could just feel the air slowly go out of him.  By the start of the second half, he kept bothering me trying to talk tech, weather, ANYTHING but watch what was going on.  Kind of annoying.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

I really enjoyed reading it. You are a very good story teller, you should think about writing professionally.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

thanks for the post. did u by chance have a philly cheese steak?Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

sorry folks - had to get kids to bed.  will answer in order.

Patsfan and kj - Eli and Ben did gouge the pats, resulting in losses.  I do think the D is getting better.  My thinking is these 5 games are needed, so that the gouging that will occur isn't fatal.  I was optimistically thinking, honestly, about playing Rodgers for all the marbles.  He will draw blood; I'm hoping they will be battle-scarred enough by that point to withstand the haymakers and keep playing steady enough to let Tom be Tom.

sml - we've got tickets for that game too.  can't wait.  Pats tix to both games were christmas presents to ourselves this year.  Yeah, the fans were hard-core, but no more so than the foxboro faithful.

NYPAT - thx for the props.  means a lot.  I actually have written (for a paper) in the past. Sadly, no one cares about my writing where I'm now employed. I guess BDC is now the closest thing I have to a writing outlet :)

Bubba - after the game and before hitting the road we grabbed a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's.  It was good, though touristy.  I imagine 10 of the hole-in-the-wall places we walked past had better hoagies.  However, a decent sub in DC is hard to come by, so I definitely enjoyed it.  There were as many pats fans there as eagles fans.  Eagles fans were much subdued by that point; rowdiness replaced by hunger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Thanks-great post!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

awesome post! Almost made me feel like I was at the game! Reminded me of the time I went to a C's / 76ers game in Philly in 1980 (or 81) wearing a Celtics shirt that I had printed on the back "Moses eats Bird Sh it" hahaha Was a great time, the fans were cool although they gave me heck all game!! Glad y'all had a great time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

"5) A good QB will gouge the Pats.  I know the D is a work in progress, and hats off to BB for what he has done, I just hope they continue gelling, bc there's a way to go.  The completions are going to come against this secondary.  I'm glad they have a 5-game practice schedule coming up, because they will need those games to prove to themselves they can shake off big plays, and that mental toughness or lack thereof is what will determine how far this team goes in the playoffs.  Bottom line."

thanks for the post.
    i agree with #5.
    if the eagles dont drop 7 catches including 2 touchdowns, it's a different game.
    (if you saw the game, you gotta know this)