Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them

Disappointments

1. Alex Smith - Has done Nothing to date.
    2. Paris Lennon - I was expecting a tackling machine.
    3. Shawn Springs - Has not been on the field much.  I question his durability.
    4. Derrick Burgess - Still Time to Show us his pass rush
    5. Joey Galloway - Good Speed, No Chemistry with Brady - Anything left?

So far so good (All Locks to make the team)

1. Lee Bodden
    2. Chris Baker
    3. Fred Taylor

Jury Still Out
    1. Andrew Walter
    2. Rob Ninkovich
    3. Greg Lewis

Comments anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Re: Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them

I forgot, Banta-Cain.....  He has been a pleasant surprise.  Lock to make the team.  Great 3rd down pass rush and special teams, not sure about his run -D though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Joe...that's about right...then add a sprinkle of 4 2nd rounders,a Welker redux, and a heavy dose of Healthy Brady, and you've got a nice afternoon cocktail for 31 other teams to enjoy from their deck chairs on the Titanic.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them:
    [QUOTE]Joe...that's about right...then add a sprinkle of 4 2nd rounders,a Welker redux, and a heavy dose of Healthy Brady, and you've got a nice afternoon cocktail for 31 other teams to enjoy from their deck chairs on the Titanic.....
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

....with the iceberg lying in wait in Foxboro....LOL!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

I am excited about the PATS this season, however, I am not yet sold that there Defence is in the top 25% of the league.  They need to be in the top 8 in points allowed to go all the way in the playoffs.  They will likely have the best offense in the league (If TB returns to form), but that's not enough to win the SB.

I am not convinced that the LB/DB combination can stop the run and/or the 3rd down pass.  Time will tell, It really depends on how well the 1st and 2nd year Safeties and DB's progress.  The LB position after Mayo and Thomas is razor thin and the CB's outside of Bodden are still a question mark.

I am a little more comfortable with the safety depth with Merriweather, Sanders and Chung.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised and that the defense returns to it's Superbowl form.  If anyone can make this group GEL it is the master BB!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Joe...I'm not sold on anything yet either...anyone who is, is buying goods unseen. Third down and red zone defence are big questions...as yet unanswered .It's all about the LB's and corners. Bodden's still a question mark to me. I haven't seen anything yet..The pressure to perform is intense on Woods, Burgess, Guyton, Thomas, Merriweather, Springs, Bodden, Crable and Banta Cain. They may start a little shaky, but I think they are a work in process that will gel as the season unfolds and hopefully turn into something pretty formidable by playoff time if they can avoid the critical injuries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Joe...I'm not sold on anything yet either...anyone who is, is buying goods unseen. Third down and red zone defence are big questions...as yet unanswered .It's all about the LB's and corners. Bodden's still a question mark to me. I haven't seen anything yet..The pressure to perform is intense on Woods, Burgess, Guyton, Thomas, Merriweather, Springs, Bodden, Crable and Banta Cain. They may start a little shaky, but I think they are a work in process that will gel as the season unfolds and hopefully turn into something pretty formidable by playoff time if they can avoid the critical injuries.
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

Red zone has not been a problem so far in the preseason. First string D has been able to stop all drives in the red zone.

3rd down conversion was atrocious in the last game- we will know much more with the Redskins game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them:
    [QUOTE]Disappointments 1. Alex Smith - Has done Nothing to date. 2. Paris Lennon - I was expecting a tackling machine. 3. Shawn Springs - Has not been on the field much.  I question his durability. 4. Derrick Burgess - Still Time to Show us his pass rush 5. Joey Galloway - Good Speed, No Chemistry with Brady - Anything left? So far so good (All Locks to make the team) 1. Lee Bodden 2. Chris Baker 3. Fred Taylor Jury Still Out 1. Andrew Walter 2. Rob Ninkovich 3. Greg Lewis Comments anyone?
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE] Terrence Nunn is a keeper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

[QUOTE]Disappointments 1. Alex Smith - Has done Nothing to date. 2. Paris Lennon - I was expecting a tackling machine. 3. Shawn Springs - Has not been on the field much.  I question his durability. 4. Derrick Burgess - Still Time to Show us his pass rush 5. Joey Galloway - Good Speed, No Chemistry with Brady - Anything left? So far so good (All Locks to make the team) 1. Lee Bodden 2. Chris Baker 3. Fred Taylor Jury Still Out 1. Andrew Walter 2. Rob Ninkovich 3. Greg Lewis Comments anyone?
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

I agree with most. Not fair on Shawn Springs because of his lack of playing time.  I would still give Galloway and Burgess a chance based on adjustments to new defense(burgess) and Galloway(hurt all last year).  I think you are dead on with your other choices. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

If we are going to talk about free agents, let's get it right

lewis  trade with Philly
    Burgess Trade with Oakland

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Alex smith- trade with tampa

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I mostly agree, but would amend as follows (included trades).  Not listed by rank:

Disappointments:

1. Alex Smith (didn't expect much)
    2. Paris Lennon (didn't expect much)
    3. Joey Galloway (decent expectations)

So far, so good:

1. Leigh Bodden
    2. Chris Baker
    3. Fred Taylor.

Jury still out:

1. Burgess.  Needs more time with team to assess.
    2. Shawn Springs.  Injuries have limited playing time.  
    3. Greg Lewis.  Wasn't expecting anything great from him, but hoping...
    4. Rob Ninkovich
    5. Andrew Walter

Honorable Mention:

1. Terrence Nunn.  Rookie FA might surprise us and be for us this year what we hope Tate will be for us next year.

2. Brian Hoyer.  I feel good about this guy.  I felt good about Gutz too...

I guess you could argue that being only 2 games into the preseason, the jury is still out on all of them.  We should revisit this topic after game 4 of the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

game 4 sounds good, got give these guys a chance, well all have a bad day at the office.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Joey G. is a good veteran WR. If he gets in synced with Brady, the Pats can and will have a triple threat reciveing combo. Joey and Brady definitely had good chemistry last game and it might get better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I must have missed the good chemistry part, maybe I was getting a beer or something.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

I definitely think it's to early to be calling Joey Galloway a disappointment.  He will play an important role in this offense.  I expect 50+ catches and 700ish yards with 4-6 TD's.  

His preseason action has been pretty limited, but the fact he's been running with the first team tells me his speed is still their and that the coaching staff has seen him do well in practice.  Don't forget this is a guy who, before an injury plagued season last year, had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons with no QB or supporting cast that even remotely resembles this years Pats offense.  Be patient WR in this offense takes time to learn and to not be thinking on the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]Joey G. is a good veteran WR. If he gets in synced with Brady, the Pats can and will have a triple threat reciveing combo. Joey and Brady definitely had good chemistry last game and it might get better. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE] What game did you watch? The Pats scored two field goals. JG had little contribution to either as I recall.  JG  is still fast and has hands of stone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Free Agent Signings - Ranking Them : What game did you watch? The Pats scored two field goals. JG had little contribution to either as I recall.  JG  is still fast and has hands of stone.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

O RLY?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Springs disappointing would seem to leave us thin at CB, but I do think Darius Butler will be an average CB by week one, and a standout by weak 10.

Last year, Rogers-Cromarte stood out as a rookie CB with 33 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 touchdown. Perhaps Butler can perform similarly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Call me after the pre-season!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

usually for every player that leaves,another comes on board.hochstein traded,tank williams released.so who are the pats gonna sign?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

tyrone mckenzie.he is out for the year,but i guess they needed the money to sign him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

how about kevin carter,and vonnie holliday?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

I dont see Galloway with 50 catches and 700 yards.  25/ 300 more likely.  I hope i am wrong about Galloway, but i dont have a good feeling.  Was injured most of last year.... Long in the tooth.

Good Catch on the trades.... I guess I was just wanting to rank the new acquisitions, trades and/or free agents with previous NFL experience.