Pats get Burgess...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Pats get Burgess...

In Response to Re: Pats get Burgess...:
    [QUOTE]Now were talking football apologizes to all in Egyptian dwarf thread
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

OK OK, we can kill the Egyptian dwarf thread you insensitive beeetches :^)

Love the Burgess move.  I'm waiting for jbolted to tell us how the Chargers beat up on the Raiders, so that means that Burgess is no good LOL.  You have to feel good about this team.  I think even BostonBobBlowsHard should post something positive now.  Now we just have to hope the annual injury bug gives us a little break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Thinking for LB this year

1st             2nd              3rd
    Thomas       Banta-Cain     Crable
    Mayo          Lenon            Alexander
    Bruschi        Guyton
    Burgess       Woods

Can see Guyton getting lots of playing time in for Bruschi. Crable if he can get on the field for preseason can overtake Banta-Cain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Carawaydj, I do have good feeling about this team the front 7 is now very solid including the rotation players. The secondary is a work in progress with promise let us hope they can just cover and support the run.

We can always have an Egyptian dwarf for a mascot :^)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

I can see a lot of promise with all the up and comers on this defense. With the talented vets and super bowl experienced players adding leadership and pounding the "Patriot way" BB philosiphy into these young guys, there's no limit on how good this group can be in coming years.
     With such an explosive offense, this defense will be more than capable of holding their own side of the ball on a Super Bowl team.
     I'm hella excited to watch this team this year. I'll really enjoy seeing the next generation of Championship patriots come of age!
     Go Pats!!! 2009 Champs to be!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]Thinking for LB this year 1st             2nd              3rd Thomas       Banta-Cain     Crable Mayo          Lenon            Alexander Bruschi        Guyton Burgess       Woods Can see Guyton getting lots of playing time in for Bruschi. Crable if he can get on the field for preseason can overtake Banta-Cain.   
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Wiz, Unfortunately my favorite player Tedy Bruschi will most likely be replaced as the year progresses. It's inevitable, just not sure who fills in Lenon?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

What are the biggest question marks about this team? It all looks good to me!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

This brings a little cheer on a night that the Sox are losing  12 -4 in the 7th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I'm Loving this also! Good to see some movement on the OLB front. I was getting a little anxcious to see something happen there.

Go Pats!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I love this trade. *Patriots acquired OLB/DE Derrick Burgess from the Raiders in exchange for "undisclosed draft considerations." The Raiders were believed to be asking for a third- and a fourth-rounder, but the price may have dropped with Burgess' holdout. The talented but injury-prone veteran fills the Pats' biggest defensive need as a pass rushing presence at weak outside linebacker. He'll likely replace Pierre Woods as the expected starter while giving the Pats' defense/special teams a fantasy boost.* Burgess fills a need we've needed, and he is coming to our team underrated. He is usually a hit or miss but because he is on a better (if not best) team, he will put in more of an effort. Perfect fit.
    Posted by Tobes18[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Spock, a logical move for the Pats...as they acquire the best available pass rusher. My guess is that the trade is for a 4th round pick...which could improve to a 3rd, depending on how well Burgess performs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike Lombardi from NFL Network is reporting that the Patriots traded their 3rd round pick in 2010, and their 5th round pick in 2011: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=45060.

Heres' more on the Burgess deal: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/08/06/burgess-compensation-not-disclosed/, and http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d811b5f64&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but ...

1.  A 3rd round pick for a guy with a one year contract?  The third round pick gives us a shot at a solid starter for 4 years after this season.  Even if Burgess turns out to be a stud, he is gone after this year.  Remember Corey Dillon?  Great for one year and then nothing.  We should have kept the 2nd round pick then, and we should keep the 3rd round now.

2.  He's not an OLB.  Vrabel, Colvin, Tedy, Mac, etc. all successfully made the transition from DE to OLB with the Pats, sometimes in as little as one year, but do we know that Burgess can play OLB in our 3-4?  Can he drop back into coverage?  If not, then what a waste. 

3.  Um ... Burgess s*cks!  There I said it.  Now we've got a debate going.  No more talking about the Colts, Chargers, Dungy and Mike Vick. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but ... 1.  A 3rd round pick for a guy with a one year contract?  The third round pick gives us a shot at a solid starter for 4 years after this season.  Even if Burgess turns out to be a stud, he is gone after this year.  Remember Corey Dillon?  Great for one year and then nothing.  We should have kept the 2nd round pick then, and we should keep the 3rd round now. 2.  He's not an OLB.  Vrabel, Colvin, Tedy, Mac, etc. all successfully made the transition from DE to OLB with the Pats, sometimes in as little as one year, but do we know that Burgess can play OLB in our 3-4?  Can he drop back into coverage?  If not, then what a waste.  3.  Um ... Burgess s*cks!  There I said it.  Now we've got a debate going.  No more talking about the Colts, Chargers, Dungy and Mike Vick. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert on Burgess except that I know we appeared real thin at OLB.  In BB I trust.  He isn't right 100% of the time, but he's right more often than we are; not that anyone finds that shocking :^)  

I find the comment about Dillon debatable.  I kind of thought he was instrumental in our Super Bowl season.  Did he take us that extra yard we needed to go to win that year?  If so, then I would gladly give up a 2nd round pick for the Lombardi Trophy.  I'm not saying he did it by himself.  I am saying however, that he was pretty good that year for us.  Could we have done what we did without him?  Maybe, maybe not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but ... 1.  A 3rd round pick for a guy with a one year contract?  The third round pick gives us a shot at a solid starter for 4 years after this season.  Even if Burgess turns out to be a stud, he is gone after this year.

RESPONSE: True...but the Pats are in desparate need of somebody who can rush the passer. Burgess is a two-time pro bowler...and a proven veteran. As far as him being gone next season...that will depend on his performance. If he pulls a Monty Beisel, he'll be gone. But, if he plays like vintage Mike Vrabel, theres' a good chance that the then 33 year old OLB would wish to remain with the Pats. Besides, who is going to offer mega-dollars for a 33 year old OLB?  

Remember Corey Dillon?  Great for one year and then nothing.  We should have kept the 2nd round pick then, and we should keep the 3rd round now.

RESPONSE: Yes, I fondly remember how Dillon was instrumental in aiding the Pats to a world championship in 2004...and being a pretty fair Antwain Smith type role player over the next two seasons. Well worth a low 2nd round pick, in a weak draft. If Burgess can garner double-digit sacks next season, the Pats' 2010 defense might final be SB ready. 

2.  He's not an OLB.  Vrabel, Colvin, Tedy, Mac, etc. all successfully made the transition from DE to OLB with the Pats, sometimes in as little as one year, but do we know that Burgess can play OLB in our 3-4? 

RESPONSE: Agreed. But, apparently, BB thinks he can make the transition. Thats' good enough for me. The Pats desparately need somebody who can get after the opposing QBs.

3.  Um ... Burgess s*cks!  There I said it.  Now we've got a debate going.  No more talking about the Colts, Chargers, Dungy and Mike Vick.

RESPONSE: Do you really think that BB would give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who s*cks?? This is a calculated risk, because the guy will be playing out of position, and will have to learn the complex Pats' defensive schemes on the fly. But, the guy is a proven pass-rusher. He likely will be rejuvinated at getting away from the NFL's Black Hole, and playing with other talented veterans...with a chance at winning a SB.

Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Sure...this is a gamble. But, its' well worth the risk. OLB is the weakest position on the team...and had to be bolstered.

Incidently, the "valuable" player acquired by Cincinnati in the Dillon deal was safety Madieu Williams. In the failed Duane Starks gamble, the Pats traded their 3rd rounder to Arizona, who selected an OLB named Darryl Blackstock. Neither of these players amounted to anything.

The weak play exhibited thus far by Pats' youthful OLB corps, primarily 3rd round pick Shawn Crable, and the released Vince Redd, necessitated this deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Here's the Scouts Inc analysis of Burgess:
    Grade: 72 |

Comment: Burgess made only 10 starts last season. He is an accomplished pass rusher who has explosive burst off the ball and a good feel for bringing pressure off the edge. As an undersized DE, he can get under OL's pads quickly and show good use of hands and body lean. He knows how to set up his moves as an edge rusher and he has a good understanding of pass-rush sequence. Burgess is quick and athletic. He has above average strength when attempting power moves and he understands how to play with leverage. As a run defender, Burgess has good quickness in space and closes with good burst. He can chase down ball carriers from the backside and he uses his hands well to separate from blockers versus the run. Burgess has adequate strength to hold his ground against the run, but his lack of size can be an issue. He will give ground against strong offensive tackles. .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but ... 1.  A 3rd round pick for a guy with a one year contract?  The third round pick gives us a shot at a solid starter for 4 years after this season.  Even if Burgess turns out to be a stud, he is gone after this year.  We should have kept the 2nd round pick then, and we should keep the 3rd round now. 2Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

If Burgess does turn out to be a stud and signs for a big contract somewhere else, the Pats would likely get a compensation pick the following year - likely a 4th round if he signs for a decent deal elsewhere. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Any signing or draft pick is a "gamble". This guy at least has proven he can play in the league. For mighty's comment that he "s u c k s", I would like to know just what he based that insightful evaluation on! If BB gave up a third round pick, he must think the guy has a shot at making the team and being productive. Not that there haven't been "flops" before (i.e. Biesel, O'Neill), but in 9 years he has brought the team to 6 playoff berths, 5 AFCCGs, 4 SBs, and won 3 Lombardis! I'd say he must have made a lot more good decisions than bad! Since we've all been pretty much in agreement here that OLB is the biggest position of need, I'd say the "risk" was well worth taking. Also, anyone managing to get out of Oakland usually is inspired to do well. It's not like there are a bunch of prospects out there for the taking at this point in time. Burgess is at the age that BB likes his LBs, and is known for his pass rushing skills, albeit as a DE. The only other possible option would be to trade with Carolina for Peppers (if they even would agree to trade him). But Peppers is also a DE, and would likely cost three times as much. IMO it was a good move. We'll see if it pans out. And I agree with TP that if he is only around for a year, but can contribute as much as Dillon did in 04, he is worth a 3rd round pick. Why else does BB "collect" picks like he does, if not to use to take a shot on someone to fill a hole?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]..................Warren........... Wilfolk .............Seymore Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas Bodden..........Sanders................Meriweather..............Whilte Am I close with this?

Yeah I'd say this has a good shot. I can see a few things happening this year

1. Guyton/Lenon push Bruschi for playing time might end up being a 50/50 situation.

2. Chung gets more playing time and eventually takes over Sanders spot

3. There's going to be a good battle at the 2nd CB spot. I think Bodden will win the #1 CB then you have Butler, Springs, Willhite, Wheatley battling for the #2. Right now I'm liking Darius Butler.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Burgess isn't likely the starter in the base formation. Woods will have that spot in the early downs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

If Burgess can't even start in the base 3-4, then what is the point of giving up a 3rd round pick for him?  Teams will be throwing at him all day.

Dillon may have helped in the regular season but he didn't do much in the AFC championship or the super bowl.  And an extra 2nd round pick may very well have helped us get that elusive 4th ring during the past 4 agonizing years of disappointment. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

burgess will be starting.barring no injuries,and him passing his physical.why would you have a player of his caliber ride behind deadwood?thats what practiceing is for in training camp.and with him feeling up beat,im sure he will be practiceing real hard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

[QUOTE]..................Warren........... Wilfolk .............Seymore Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas Bodden..........Sanders................Meriweather..............Whilte Am I close with this?

..............Brace.....Warren.......Wilfork.......Seymore
    Guyton.......................Mayo................Thomas
    Wilhite......Sanders............Merriweather.......Bodden

Yes, I think we're switching to a base 4-3 from what I'm hearing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats get Burgess... :I think we're switching to a base 4-3 from what I'm hearing.
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

Every year somebody says that and every year they are wrong.  We are set up to run the 3/4 and Brace was taken because he was the best player available and provided leverage in the Wilfork negotiations.  4/3 on running downs maybe but we're a 3/4 defense...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats get Burgess... : ..............Brace.....Warren.......Wilfork.......Seymore Guyton.......................Mayo................Thomas Wilhite......Sanders............Merriweather.......Bodden Yes, I think we're switching to a base 4-3 from what I'm hearing.
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

We would never use that personnel in a 4-3.  The heaviest 4-3 we would use is:

Green       Brace         Wilfork      Seymour

Springs                                                                         Bodden
                            Thomas      Mayo        Guyton

Merriweather

Sanders

A more typical 4-3 would be:

Burgess      Wilfork      Seymour      Green

Springs                                                                       Bodden
                            Thomas        Mayo          Guyton

Merriweather

Sanders