Pats get four comp picks for 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Re: Pats get four comp picks for 2010

This is great news! Do you realize BB could trade the Number 1 pick and the Number 2 picks and have the entire 7th round for the New England Patriots. Givent the Patriots good fortunes at the 7th round level BB could build an entire new team, and we could win the Super BowlYell for the next 37 and a half years

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Pats get four comp picks for 2010:
    The Patriots received four compensatory draft picks today -- one in the sixth round and three in the seventh round -- the league announced.     The picks are a result of losing Heath Evans, Jabar Gaffney, Larry Izzo, LaMont Jordan and Lonie Paxton as compensatory free agents last year. The only compensatory free agent that the Patriots signed was safety Brandon McGowan. This gives the Patriots a total of 12 draft picks, although seven of them are in the final two rounds. The picks break down this way: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4676467/pats-get-four-compensatory-picks
    Posted by mississippipatfan

Better that a sharp stick in the eye.

Bring enough 7th rounders to camp and you might actually find a player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

With the success this team has had drafting in the late rounds (and undrafted FA), and the fact that they have 7 picks in the last two rounds, its virtually impossible to imagine not coming away with at least one huge steal late in this draft, a la Brady, Givens, Edelman, Koppen, Guyton, Gay, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Now we can draft scott long and trindon holliday

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

They will use the compensatories but don't look for them to keep their owned picks the one 6th and two 7th rounders. They will use them in a trade to move up in this draft or for higher picks in 2011. They could trade the 6th for a 5th in 2011 and the two sevenths for a 6th as well in 2011. 

I know one pick will be a punter...likely the 6th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: Pats get four comp picks for 2010:
    In Response to Pats get four comp picks for 2010 : Better that a sharp stick in the eye. Bring enough 7th rounders to camp and you might actually find a player.
    Posted by unclealfie

It can't hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

"but the Patriot 'hating' Goodell will find some way to sabotage it"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Goodell isn't a Patriot Hater in my opinion he used the Patriots to show he wouldn't play favorites.  Having said that I think he has been a bit heavy handed but I can't disagree with Pacman Jones, and Vick type situations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Pats get four comp picks for 2010:
    Goodell isn't a Patriot Hater in my opinion he used the Patriots to show he wouldn't play favorites.  Having said that I think he has been a bit heavy handed but I can't disagree with Pacman Jones, and Vick type situations.
    Posted by DaBlade
    ...you'd better refresh yourself with some of the idiotic complaints that have been posted here in the past. According to some,he favors the Jets and Colts and will do anything in his power to single out and persecute the almighty Patriots

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots' best seventh round pick in recent years was Matt Cassel.  It's amazing the quality of the guys other teams leave behind. 

Second best, I think, is going to be Julian Edelman.  Not that he can't get open all day, but I'm convinced that Edelman is going to come out throwing next September, because of Tom Brady's public comments that Edelman can't hit the side of a barn.  That's the Patriots' kiss of life.

Tom Brady is the best sixth rounder in the history of the National Football League. 

Jake Ingram was drafted in the sixth round last April, started immediately as the long snapper, and no one has said a bad word about him all season, because he didn't mess up once yet.

Myron Pryor was drafted in the sixth round last April and was in the defensive line rotation all year.

This leaves 2009 seventh rounder Darryl Richard, who at least got a raise around December 15, implying that the Patriots front office is still rather satisfied with the pick.  Here's the secret value of a seventh rounder.  By forcing some development project to come into your training camp with a seventh round pick, you force him to learn your system.  Then you can cut him on September 4, nobody wants him for their 53 man team, and you can get him to the practice squad, and finally you can sign him to a contract during the season if he gets better (and a lot of them do).

Nationally, seventh rounders have about a 10% chance of starting.  The Pats seem to be defying the odds.  They have a tremendous (and expensive) scouting department that no other team possesses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

You could probably argue that Pats' picks in the the 6-7th rounds have yielded better results than those in the 2nd or 3rd rounds in recent years.