Pats have 5.6 mil available ABOVE WHATEVER THEIR CAP SPACE # IS (presumably 18.6)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Pats have 5.6 mil available ABOVE WHATEVER THEIR CAP SPACE # IS (presumably 18.6)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/team-by-team-available-cap-adjustments-for-2013/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Re: Pats have 5.6 mil available ABOVE WHATEVER THEIR CAP SPACE # IS (presumably 18.6)

Great news... plenty of money to ink Vollmer, welker and TALIB??? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pats have 5.6 mil available ABOVE WHATEVER THEIR CAP SPACE # IS (presumably 18.6)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Awesome!  That means only $3 mill of the original cap money will need to go to Welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Be careful here . . . Clayton's reported $18.6 million in cap space already accounted for the $5.6 million carryover, so there's no extra money.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

A lot of that money got freed up because of players hitting FA of whom will need to be replaced.  Three that have been removed from the cap are Welker, Vollmer and Talib.  These guys, if resigned, will eat up some serious cap space. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The CBA allows teams to carry over unused cap space from one year to future years.  The carry over amount isn't the result of anyone being cut--it's just money that wasn't spent in 2012.  Two things, though.  First, the 18.6 million in cap space that Clayton from ESPN reported already included the 5.6 million carryover, so this is no "new" money.  Second, the cuts you mention are yet to happen, but once they do they will open up additional cap space (though some may also add some dead money, negating a portion of that new cap space).  But of course, you're right, their roster slots will need to be refilled.  The more you cut, the more you need to sign. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Be careful here . . . Clayton's reported $18.6 million in cap space already accounted for the $5.6 million carryover, so there's no extra money.  

I think you are right Pro. According to jetscap.com (most reliable fan cap numbers since miguel) the Pats are going into next year with $105mil and an additional $4.5mil in dead money. You take into account the $5.6mil carry over and that brings you down to $104mil roughly. The expected cap is suppose to be arounf $121-124 which should put us squarly in the top 1/3 of the league in cap space. That should be plenty to resign Talib, Welker, Vollmer, the draft picks and build depth if they want to. Matter a fact with a little more creative management they should be able to squeze in one or two starting caliber players too. I'm not talking Goldson, Bryd, or Melton types, for that you'd have to say goodbye to Welker, but I'm thinking Hartline, Jason Jones, Topny Carter, Chris Houston, William Moore types

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I think you are right Pro. According to jetscap.com (most reliable fan cap numbers since miguel) the Pats are going into next year with $105mil and an additional $4.5mil in dead money. You take into account the $5.6mil carry over and that brings you down to $104mil roughly. The expected cap is suppose to be arounf $121-124 which should put us squarly in the top 1/3 of the league in cap space. That should be plenty to resign Talib, Welker, Vollmer, the draft picks and build depth if they want to. Matter a fact with a little more creative management they should be able to squeze in one or two starting caliber players too. I'm not talking Goldson, Bryd, or Melton types, for that you'd have to say goodbye to Welker, but I'm thinking Hartline, Jason Jones, Topny Carter, Chris Houston, William Moore types

Good stuff - I think the biggest manouver they could make would probably be extending Brady for a couple more years if, and it is a big if, he was willing to reduce his salary in the new years (age 39/40)

I think Hartline is looking for #1WR money so I am not sure he falls into your second tier FAs. And the safety salary numbers are not outrageous - franchise tag is around 6.8M - the only lower tags are for TEs and P/Ks - doesn't mean Byrd or Goldsen would be cheap, but there may be a few others coming in a little lower that would be an upgrade.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

These numbers are always fluid, the Pat's could shed a bunch of space by cutting vets and either renegotiating their deals or letting them go completely.  Needless to say Belichick and Krafty have always been some of the better cap managers and leave themselves room for error, it's why we can take chances on reclamation projects that don't always work out but often do and why we consistently put a winning product on the field.  Even if some "fans" here don't appreciate it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

lol

Jetscap is the most reliable set of numbers since who?  Just because some Jets geek is running around wilidly speculating doesn't mean that's reliable. I'd trust John Clayton over somme fanboy in NJ crossing his fingers and hoping for the best.

There will be details in certain contracts that Miguel, Jets dorks and Clayton don't even know about. These are all approximations.

When legit sports writers reference them then yes they are reliable

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

lol

Jetscap is the most reliable set of numbers since who?  Just because some Jets geek is running around wilidly speculating doesn't mean that's reliable. I'd trust John Clayton over somme fanboy in NJ crossing his fingers and hoping for the best.

There will be details in certain contracts that Miguel, Jets dorks and Clayton don't even know about. These are all approximations.

Laughable.  Do you know how many "sportswriters" have been fired for plagiarism, are lazy or make things up for clicks on blogs?

Dude, come on. You're better than this.

These numbers are guesstimates.  At the end of the day, none of us have any idea what the real numbers are, and quite frankly, I don't care.  15-18 mil under in NE's position is as good as any 13 win team out there.

Based on your posts the past few days, specifically with regards to your conversations with mthurl, you actually seem to care. A lot. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You gotta remember these owners are very good at what they do.  They don't get where they are without knowing the in's and out's of these things.  I'm pretty sure they know how to shuffle and reorganize contracts in order to get what they want.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You gotta remember these owners are very good at what they do.  They don't get where they are without knowing the in's and out's of these things.  I'm pretty sure they know how to shuffle and reorganize contracts in order to get what they want.

The question is always how much you mortgage the future for the current. All the cap manipulation is pushing the can down the road, and that is fine until one of those manipulations comes due. For example - Brady renegotiated his contract a few years ago to give the Pats room to swing other contracts, but the result is that his cap hit last year was a team friendly 8M - great! Except this year he is coming in at a cap hit of nearly 22M. And next year it will be the same. And if he were to retire, get injured, or get traded after this coming season there would still be about 7M is dead cap money on the books for 2014.

This is where cap hell really hits. For the Jets - they can't dump Sanchez because they actually lose a player and take a bigger 2013 cap hit. The Pats don't want to dump Brady, but all that room they built early in his contract is being paid for now, and it limits the moves they can make. They can shift that further down the line by signing an extension for Brady, but how much they can shift is limited and how long do you want to extend a contract beyond age 38? Sooner or later you have to take the hit and it may be a huge hit when you are trying to hire his replacement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

not according the the source i found. hmmm

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"Matter a fact with a little more creative management they should be able to squeze in one or two starting caliber players too"

my cntention

" I'm not talking Goldson, Bryd, or Melton types, for that you'd have to say goodbye to Welker, "

team would be better getting and outsie wr, lettign welekr go adn usign the $ exacttly as you say will have room for without welker

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

The question is always how much you mortgage the future for the current. All the cap manipulation is pushing the can down the road, and that is fine until one of those manipulations comes due. For example - Brady renegotiated his contract a few years ago to give the Pats room to swing other contracts, but the result is that his cap hit last year was a team friendly 8M - great! Except this year he is coming in at a cap hit of nearly 22M. And next year it will be the same. And if he were to retire, get injured, or get traded after this coming season there would still be about 7M is dead cap money on the books for 2014.

This is where cap hell really hits. For the Jets - they can't dump Sanchez because they actually lose a player and take a bigger 2013 cap hit. The Pats don't want to dump Brady, but all that room they built early in his contract is being paid for now, and it limits the moves they can make. They can shift that further down the line by signing an extension for Brady, but how much they can shift is limited and how long do you want to extend a contract beyond age 38? Sooner or later you have to take the hit and it may be a huge hit when you are trying to hire his replacement.

there should be increases in 14' and 15'

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

lol

I went back and looked at Clayton's article on ESPN and in that article he specifically says he's including the $5.6 million carry over in his $18.6 million total.  In fact, Clayton's article was actually about the carry over! Whether the 18.6 million number is correct or not, I can't judge because (as Rusty says) I don't have all the contract details.  All I was pointing out is that the $5.6 million carry over number reported by ProFootballTalk was already included in the $18.6 million number that Clayton reported and that has been widely reported by others.  So this $5.6 million is nothing new.  

For those who want to check, here's Clayton's orginal article: 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

True - but by how much? It is supposed to ramp up slowly, and if the Pats extend brady they will be in effect already spending the increases at a time when players will be expecting significant increases in their salaries to start appearing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

True - but by how much? It is supposed to ramp up slowly, and if the Pats extend brady they will be in effect already spending the increases at a time when players will be expecting significant increases in their salaries to start appearing.

we wont know ho wmcuh till it happens. the tv deal should be huge

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

This site gives a summary of all teams numbers, there is a chart down the page

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/8/3964678/2013-nfl-salary-cap-situations-room-space-jets-cowboys-saints-colts-ravens-seahawks

and this site has the comprehensive numbers for each team, broken down by player

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

As much as some people are spinning this, the Jets are in terrible position.