Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011

According to Raider based sources, the Patriots could have traded Richard Seymour for the Raiders' #1 draft choice in 2010. But, the Pats' insisted that the #1 pick be in 2011...when a new rookie salary might be in place: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_13282431  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011

I've said it on many threads, Brilliant.  In one move we can secure the present (more money available to sign players) and positioning the team for future success.

BB shows once again that he is the greatest coach of all times (of all sports).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

It makes sense to me.  Even if they got a 2010 #1 it won't help us this season.  We are going to need big bucks to sign many of our key players next season assuming there still is a cap.  In 2011 with potentially a rookie cap in place a top 5 pick would be affordable.  It is also not lost on me that Brady will be a F/A after the 2010 season.  Assuming he re-signs it still would be about the right time to draft Brady's replacement.

Brady turns 34 prior to the 2011 season.  Let's say we draft his replacement with that Raider pick (perhaps Sam Bradford - Oklahoma for instance).  This gives the kid one year to learn behind Tom and he takes over for the 2012 season.  Brady will be 35 by then and likely close to washed up.  It would not be bad if the Seymour trade nets us our future franchise QB.  And the dynasty continues...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I have a feeling, barring injuries, we will have Brady longer than that, maybe not Favre long, but longer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Faucetman,

Brady has stated that he is at the midpoint in his career, and you want to push him out after next season and replace him with Sam Bradford? Really? Really?!? That's pretty deep thinking. Maybe you should post your resume to Robert Kraft. That Belichick will likely be washed up following 2012, and they need smart, forward thinking execs like YOU to keep the dynasty going. 

(by the way, my above statements are sarcastic, and I actually think you are a huge idiot for suggesting that the Pats get rid of the best QB of all time before he wants to leave. Maybe you should keep to selling faucets.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011:
    [QUOTE]It makes sense to me.  Even if they got a 2010 #1 it won't help us this season.  We are going to need big bucks to sign many of our key players next season assuming there still is a cap.  In 2011 with potentially a rookie cap in place a top 5 pick would be affordable.  It is also not lost on me that Brady will be a F/A after the 2010 season.  Assuming he re-signs it still would be about the right time to draft Brady's replacement. Brady turns 34 prior to the 2011 season.  Let's say we draft his replacement with that Raider pick (perhaps Sam Bradford - Oklahoma for instance).  This gives the kid one year to learn behind Tom and he takes over for the 2012 season.  Brady will be 35 by then and likely close to washed up.  It would not be bad if the Seymour trade nets us our future franchise QB.  And the dynasty continues...
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]
    Sam Bradford will be in this next Draft 2010. With a Rookie Payscale coming alot of juniors will also be coming out after this year. We have three number 2's in 2010 and two 1's in 2011. Pats will be strong for years to come

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Green Bay drafted Rodgers when Favre was 35. Drafting a QB in the next 2-3 years and having him sit behind Brady isn't a bad move.

I would rather, though, use high draft picks on safer players, but I understand the logic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

this trade looks shocking when you first read the headlines "seymour dealt to oakland", "end of an era", etc.  when you actually get into it and think about what the pats could do in 2011, its really a great deal. BB obviously feels comfortable with the DL depth that we have, and we the fans do not know what the pats coaching staff knows. i'm 100% sold on this trade. looks like a 4-3 defense in 2009 to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xavyre. Show xavyre's posts

Nice find.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

saves money by not dealing with an uncapped massive rookie contract next year.  Also with it being likely uncapped in 2010 the team could sign someone to a big one year deal as a bandaid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Who wants to bet that they trade their 2010 1st rounder for a 2011 1st rounder?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Who wants to bet that they trade their 2010 1st rounder for a 2011 1st rounder?
    Posted by mario11[/QUOTE] they also could trade the 2011 ist rd,and something else for a 1st rd in 2010.they have plenty of flexability.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011 : they also could trade the 2011 ist rd,and something else for a 1st rd in 2010.they have plenty of flexability.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]I think you miss the point of the 2011 pick is that it it will be preferable to the 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick tries to trade into 2011.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders. Peter King on SI.com reported this morning that according to a close friend of Seymour's, there is a possiblity he does not report. He's pissed and I can't blame him, but this is business.
    If he does not report, the Raiders keep that draft pick and the Pats are left holding the bag...Seymour will be fined for not playing, we lose him for the year (because he probably will not want to play for us), and we get nothing in return. If Seymour can financially afford it, perhaps he sits out...
    Thoughts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucetman, Brady has stated that he is at the midpoint in his career, and you want to push him out after next season and replace him with Sam Bradford? Really? Really?!? That's pretty deep thinking. Maybe you should post your resume to Robert Kraft. That Belichick will likely be washed up following 2012, and they need smart, forward thinking execs like YOU to keep the dynasty going.  (by the way, my above statements are sarcastic, and I actually think you are a huge idiot for suggesting that the Pats get rid of the best QB of all time before he wants to leave. Maybe you should keep to selling faucets.)
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]
    It's one thing to want to continue to play 13 seasons which is where Brady will be heading into 2012, its another thing to still be playing at a high level.  I hope he still has it and if he does we don't take a QB with that pick.  I was just pointing out a possibility.  Montana played 14 seasons with the 49ers before being shipped out to KC where he played 2 more years at a much lower level.  Until Brady wins another ring, Montana is the greatest QB of all time as much as I hate saying it.  Right now, Brady is the 2nd best of all time and I think he'd say they same thing.

All I was saying is we have to be prepared someday for life without Brady.  The Pats have shown that once you've lost it and someone else proves they can do a better job or if you become too expensive for the position and the value they place on you, you're gone.  Ask Milloy, Law, Vinetieri, Bledsoe, Vrabel, Bruschi (who they likely asked to retire), and now Seymour if this is a business first.  When the time comes it will be no different for Brady. 

When he's 35 and too slow to buy enough time to get to his 2nd and 3rd progression or he's often injured or he wants $20MM a year the day will come.  It might not be 2012 or 2013 but it is realistic to think he doesn't get much past his 13th or 14th season still playing at a high level.  I wasn't even saying I advocate such a move, I'm saying it would not be out of character for the Patriot brass to make a move like this 4-5 years from now. 

Do you have any original thoughts or is all you can do is to throw insults at people?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE] Brady turns 34 prior to the 2011 season.  Let's say we draft his replacement with that Raider pick (perhaps Sam Bradford - Oklahoma for instance).  This gives the kid one year to learn behind Tom and he takes over for the 2012 season.  Brady will be 35 by then and likely close to washed up.  It would not be bad if the Seymour trade nets us our future franchise QB.  And the dynasty continues...
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

even if is Bradford available in 2011, i  don't think he's brady's replacement. personally if he couldn't do the job agianst Florida in the NC i don't thinks he's a franchise QB for the Pats. he's good, but not great 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Of course he's p!ssed, he will probably report after cooling off. Seymour wants a big payday so being a selfish player tag landing on him because he refused to play for raiders would cost him. I doubt it will happpen but the thread that brought up him coming back after this season makes for good banter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders. Peter King on SI.com reported this morning that according to a close friend of Seymour's, there is a possiblity he does not report. He's pissed and I can't blame him, but this is business. If he does not report, the Raiders keep that draft pick and the Pats are left holding the bag...Seymour will be fined for not playing, we lose him for the year (because he probably will not want to play for us), and we get nothing in return. If Seymour can financially afford it, perhaps he sits out... Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    The deal is not contingent upon Seymour reporting. Oakland now owns the rights to Seymour and the Pats own the #1 pick in the 2011 draft. Period.
    He is bound by league rules to report or suffer the consequences, which will be doled out by the Raiders, not the Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RWPilk. Show RWPilk's posts

It certainly is thinking ahead and a highly strategic trade. Just what we've come to expect from Belichick's calculating chess-move organization.

Check more here:

http://sweetflaccoaction.blogspot.com/2009/09/another-pats-retirement.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Like I've said in other threads, there will be chaos in 2010 if it's uncapped.  A lot of players will assume 2010 will be the only uncapped year, and that big deals might be grandfathered if the cap returns.  Franchise tags will be undervalued, hold outs will be commonplace, guys who have outperformed their contracts will want to get paid, you'll see a major increase in college juniors entering the draft, and who knows what else.

If it's hard to sign high draft picks currently, just imagine trying to sign a top 10 pick in an uncapped year... YIKES!  Off topic, but maybe that's the only reason why Crabtree is acting foolish.  Maybe we are already seeing the effects of 2010 being an uncapped year.  Very smart for the Pats to get the pick in 2011.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to Pats Insisted on First Round Pick For Seymour...in 2011:
    [QUOTE]     According to Raider based sources, the Patriots could have traded Richard Seymour for the Raiders' #1 draft choice in 2010. But, the Pats' insisted that the #1 pick be in 2011...when a new rookie salary might be in place: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_13282431   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Lombardi writes that "At first, this deal was being framed around a two in 2010, but it moved to a one because the Raiders wanted to keep their draft alive next year." (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Raiders-risky-move.html)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more analysis of the Seymour trade: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/2685/patriots-trade-a-masterstroke-for-future

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders. Peter King on SI.com reported this morning that according to a close friend of Seymour's, there is a possiblity he does not report. He's pissed and I can't blame him, but this is business. If he does not report, the Raiders keep that draft pick and the Pats are left holding the bag...Seymour will be fined for not playing, we lose him for the year (because he probably will not want to play for us), and we get nothing in return. If Seymour can financially afford it, perhaps he sits out... Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

He is not going to sit out the season- that would irreparably harm the value of the free agent contract he will seek next season.

The disagreement right now is over obtaining a promise from the Raiders that they do not franchise him next season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Belichick in recent years has proven himself a master of the football business.  Is he substituting for a loss of coaching touch?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

You might be right, if BB is losing the coaching edge, he should retire: refer to ex-Coach Dungy for advice . . . .