Pats lose Welker... who is coming this way?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Pats lose Welker... who is coming this way?

This is the angst felt by Pats fans...  BB and the Patriots are so closed mouth about who they are pursuing, the fans are hungry for any good news of the sort we see about other teams who are signing players left and right.  Players, in many respects, have been mentioned here as good for the Pats.  So, who has to come this way that will sooth the feelings of Pats' fans for the loss of Welker and others?  Amazing how the Pats haven't signed anyone to date of note!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Pats lose Welker... who is coming this way?

probably noone of great impact.  Seriously,  all the good WRs want money - and the Patriots are not willing to "overspend" because they seek value. Nothing wrong with it, just a catch 22 situation. What will be left over in the free agency are older players who don't have much in the tank or younger players who don't really have the talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, they should be focusing on defense anyway. Sure, pick up a WR or two...but be prepared to spend more money than usual at defensive positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

IMO, they should be focusing on defense anyway. Sure, pick up a WR or two...but be prepared to spend more money than usual at defensive positions.

Here's the deal, Welker at 6 mil a year does not hurt their chances of upgrading the D.

There really aren't any huge deal defensive players out there. Unless they plan on signing 20 middle tier defensive guys

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If they matched the Denver offer, would Welker still be here?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

If they matched the Denver offer, would Welker still be here?

I sincerely doubt it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Amendola is the guy which imo is a huge mistake and a downgrade. Seems like that is going to happen all offseason

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't see how Amendola would be a mistake? As good as Welker? No, but he could be a contributor.

Look, the bottom line is this is going to be a different offense.  More run-oriented, more downfield. Welker's been great, but they haven't won a championship with him so maybe it's time...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

What WRs are left in free agency that are going to be better then Wes?  Also, its not like we have this amazing stable of WRs so losing Wes is no big deal.  Not use if anyone have noticed but we dont have any WRs signed to the team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't see how Amendola would be a mistake? As good as Welker? No, but he could be a contributor.

Look, the bottom line is this is going to be a different offense.  More run-oriented, more downfield. Welker's been great, but they haven't won a championship with him so maybe it's time...

I don't think you can compare Amendola to the Pat's Welker. Is Amendola as good as Miami's Welker? Better I'd say. The only concern, and it's a big one, is can he stay on the field?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

probably noone of great impact.  Seriously,  all the good WRs want money - and the Patriots are not willing to "overspend" because they seek value. Nothing wrong with it, just a catch 22 situation. What will be left over in the free agency are older players who don't have much in the tank or younger players who don't really have the talent.

draft hopkins and swope or rogers

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Wow what BS, way to blow it. For the past 5 years this team has been almost and never made any serious moves to be great.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to Cyberknot's comment:

The only concern, and it's a big one, is can he stay on the field?

He can take all of October and November off for all I care. And December too. As long as he's healthy for two (three) games in January and one in February, I'll be happy signing Danny Amendola

Ditto Aqib Talib

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Amendola is the guy which imo is a huge mistake and a downgrade. Seems like that is going to happen all offseason

Amendola is a good player but I honestly think that Hernandez woul d be a great slot receiver. Remember that they now have Ballard and Hoosh as 2 other TEs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

Amendola is a good player but I honestly think that Hernandez woul d be a great slot receiver. Remember that they now have Ballard and Hoosh as 2 other TEs

I was hoping Hernandez would have a breakout year after Gronk had his, but he got hurt. If he can stay healthy for one whole season, he certainly has the potential to have a breakout year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

I'd be alright if Hern takes over Welkers role, not Amendola but that still means they need a WR and who would that be? There is no one in the market and I have zero faith in them picking a WR in the draft nor would I want them to draft one in a weaker WR draft. Now if they get Jennings then I'm ok with it but who is the #1 WR right now and do you trust they can find one in the draft?

But the one big thing is the have to spend that 9.5mil we were talking about with Welker on either a #1 WR or on a top flight LCB or a top flight SS. Problem is Ss are dropping off the map and CBs aren't the shut down #1 they should be on the market

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Amendola is here, may take the sting out of the loss of Welker, IF he produces like Welker.  But, depending on any other WRs that are signed, will there be less emphasis to throw to a slot receiver?  Welker was a very effective option when there was nothing down the field.  It was not like he was the first option every pass play.  We shall see over the next few days how the Pats fill out the receiver corps to get that deep threat they've been missing since Moss.