Pats Need BIG Changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Pats Need BIG Changes

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For those not paying attention, we're on a 3 game winning streak... 

These guys need to play better, there's no magic solution, no single player that will change our outlook, we need to play better defensively, more specifically more consistant.  That's all...

[/QUOTE]

They were on a 10-game winning streak going into the Super Bowl last year and an 8-game going into the Jets playoff game the year before. I think people are looking at this team and seeing the same issues offense not scoring TDs when it NEEDS them, defense giving up too much passing yards, in general not finishing game strong that have been plaguing this team for several years in when the most is on the line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You'll note that I put the "best" word in quotes.  I don't know if hes the best, but this board sure thinks he is, thus the quotation marks.  Regardless, he is known for his defense.  If as you say, its not working, maybe he should be fired.  maybe that's the BIG change that's needed.  What say you?

RESPONSE: Again, typical Dog(ggggg)-ie BS. So...BB is the best defensive coach around, and "known for his defense", when it suits your warped position. To say that BB should be fired is the type of lunacy I expect from the likes of you. Go back and re-read my initial post. BB needs help, in the form of a DC. Being a head coach and GM of a team is too much for one man to handle. For some reason, the Pats don't believe in paying top dollar to lure, and/or retain, good assistant coaches. This needs to change.

Maybe his players have stopped listening.  Maybe at 6-3 Belichick just doesn't have it anymore.

RESPONSE: Well...there's no maybes about the fact that you're a know nothing troll. And, people have stopped listening to you a long time ago. After years of misrepresentations, lies, and BS...people here have come to know that he have zero credibility, and should not be taken seriously.

Obviously, TP, you are a joke and a poor example of a fan.  I love listening to fans who think they know better than the coaches who've risen to the top of their profession.  Its one thing to be dissatisfied, its entirely different to claim Pats Need BIG Changes.

RESPONSE: You showed your true colors as a fan last year, when he were no where to be found regarding those fabulous 2011 Colts. Looks like the ol' Suck for Luck strategy is paying dividends in Indy.

Your last line is the most amusing.  whining about others whining while you whine.  Can't make this stuff up.

RESPONSE: Oh, but you do make things up...consistently. That's the only thing that anyone who bothers to read your drivel can count on. 

To the board - I am worried about TP's mental health.

RESPONSE: Worrried about my mental health? You spent all of last season in an Indy  psych ward...LOL!!   

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

This just in> 

Boston - The New England Patriots have fired Bill Belichick as GM.  Belichick will stay on as head coach of the team where he is known for defensive prowess as a coach.  Owner Bob Kraft said in a news conference today that he'd heard enough from fans regarding the team's lackluster defensive play.  He's hired a fan known as Texas Pat to manage the team's personnel. 

Texas Pat promises BIG CHANGES. 

One reporter said he overheard Belichick mumbling- Bill always told me that if I was going cook the meal, I should at least be allowed to shop for the groceries.  Publicly Belichick had no comment.

[/QUOTE]

Somehow he is known for his defensive prowess despite the defense being on a steady decline over the past six seasons... Meanwhile, the offense has been one of the top in the NFL over the same stretch...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You'll note that I put the "best" word in quotes.  I don't know if hes the best, but this board sure thinks he is, thus the quotation marks.  Regardless, he is known for his defense.  If as you say, its not working, maybe he should be fired.  maybe that's the BIG change that's needed.  What say you?

RESPONSE: Again, typical Dog(ggggg)-ie BS. So...BB is the best defensive coach around, and "known for his defense", when it suits your warped position. To say that BB should be fired is the type of lunacy I expect from the likes of you. Go back and re-read my initial post. BB needs help, in the form of a DC. Being a head coach and GM of a team is too much for one man to handle. For some reason, the Pats don't believe in paying top dollar to lure, and/or retain, good assistant coaches. This needs to change.

Your stupidity is a shame.  I've never said Belichick was a bad coach or a bad defensive coach.  I know you keep all of my old posts.  Maybe you can go back through them and show us where I said he was a bad coach - unless it was on that 4th and 2 play.  Bad idea.

As for your initial post.  ITS GONE DUM BASS, and I assume youre the one who took it down.

Maybe the pats don't pay because belichick is by far the highest paid coach in the league.  Maybe he wants all of the money for himself.  If, as you say, the assistants are the problem, maybe Belichick should apply a bit of the Patriot way to himself. 

Maybe his players have stopped listening.  Maybe at 6-3 Belichick just doesn't have it anymore.

RESPONSE: Well...there's no maybes about the fact that you're a know nothing troll. And, people have stopped listening to you a long time ago. After years of misrepresentations, lies, and BS...people here have come to know that he have zero credibility, and should not be taken seriously.

Yes -Yes - all of those things you say and THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Obviously, TP, you are a joke and a poor example of a fan.  I love listening to fans who think they know better than the coaches who've risen to the top of their profession.  Its one thing to be dissatisfied, its entirely different to claim Pats Need BIG Changes.

RESPONSE: You showed your true colors as a fan last year, when he were no where to be found regarding those fabulous 2011 Colts. Looks like the ol' Suck for Luck strategy is paying dividends in Indy.

I was all over this board last year.  In fact, I've taken my hiatus most recently as the colts have enjoyed success.  I'd tell you not to talk about things about which you know nothing, but that has never stopped you before, like now, so I won't waste my time.

Your last line is the most amusing.  whining about others whining while you whine.  Can't make this stuff up.

RESPONSE: Oh, but you do make things up...consistently. That's the only thing that anyone who bothers to read your drivel can count on. 

TP - you are getting your arrrrse handed to you.  please stop 

To the board - I am worried about TP's mental health.

RESPONSE: Worrried about my mental health? You spent all of last season in an Indy  psych Ward...LOL!!   

LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This just in> 

Boston - The New England Patriots have fired Bill Belichick as GM.  Belichick will stay on as head coach of the team where he is known for defensive prowess as a coach.  Owner Bob Kraft said in a news conference today that he'd heard enough from fans regarding the team's lackluster defensive play.  He's hired a fan known as Texas Pat to manage the team's personnel. 

One reporter said he overheard Belichick mumbling- Bill always told me that if I was going cook the meal, I should at least be allowed to shop for the groceries.  Publicly Belichick had no comment.

[/QUOTE]

Somehow he is known for his defensive prowess despite the defense being on a steady decline over the past six seasons... Meanwhile, the offense has been one of the top in the NFL over the same stretch...

[/QUOTE]
    That's what's called the power of Brady.  It was always there but not needed when the d was great.  As the d started deteriorating, it became Brady's time to shine and he has not let down since. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I agree, that they would be better with a legit d coordinator. The Steelers are number one in defense again, how does happen every year? I still think the defense will get better bu will it be enough to win? They show flashes of being very good but can't stay consistent .

Even the most die hard fan has to agree that last weeks defense was one of the worst if not the worst in the history of this franchise. When they blitz and play agressive they make stops and force turnovers, it looks like that upsets the coach so they go back to the bend and break defense.

Im venting now, that game was disturbing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]

This just in> 

[/QUOTE]

UD why would BB hire a JEST fan to manage the Pats...Just curious and I thought you should know who you are agruing with!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im venting now, that game was disturbing.

[/QUOTE]

I'll bet.  It's always disturbing when you're rival wins, Jets fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Any chance the Pats can pick up Rex Ryan after the Not Yets Fire him, I think he'd work well with BB, bring that old Baltimore D to NE!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Thanks Tom - TP is currently building a kevlar roof hoping that it will keep the sky out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very entertaining thread to read.  There were actually a couple of pretty fair points made.  On the other hand there were several posts that were actually rather shrill and alarmist.  

Couple of points if I may:  

1)  Pats' 3 losses were by a total of 4 points - those are team losses -  in 2 of the 3, the offense should have scored more and  the defense should have surrendered fewer points - IN MY OPINION

2) The Pats Defense is young and has not worked together with the same personnel on the field very often - defensive roster avg age 25, defensive secondary avg age 24 - this point has been discounted in other threads and I respect the arguments of those who disagree but IN MY OPINION this is a significant factor

3) BB himself has said (and I don't think it's simply a canned response) that the coaching could have been better in some situations - IN MY OPINION this is a factor - how much is open to interpretation

4) The wholsale condemnation of defensive coaching (and BB's selection of Patricia as DC) makes little sense to me - an example - when the Pats were being shredded in the reg season Denver game, Patricia scrapped the D game plan and rewrote it on the fly and, yes, that was Patricia who did that - every defensive player interviewed credited him with making the adjustments.  One game does not make a hall of fame defensive coach but I do not see Patricia as a major issue here.  IN MY OPINION

5) The Pats lead the league (not the conference, the league) in turnover differential - defenses that are a complete disaster (which was strongly implied if not stated outright in several posts) do not lead the league in this category - IN MY OPINION

Now, I've stated my point of view, my opinion.  Note that I haven't made (or certainly tried to avoid) categorical statements.  This is an opinion forum and fans have their opinions.  MY OPINION is that this forum has become much too alarmist.

Fire away.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Very entertaining thread to read.  There were actually a couple of pretty fair points made.  On the other hand there were several posts that were actually rather shrill and alarmist.  

Couple of points if I may:  

1)  Pats' 3 losses were by a total of 4 points - those are team losses -  in 2 of the 3, the offense should have scored more and  the defense should have surrendered fewer points - IN MY OPINION

Good point.  Also, worth mentioning...one of those losses, the D actually put the team in position to win.

2) The Pats Defense is young and has not worked together with the same personnel on the field very often - defensive roster avg age 25, defensive secondary avg age 24 - this point has been discounted in other threads and I respect the arguments of those who disagree but IN MY OPINION this is a significant factor

Inexperience and lots of turnover in personell can definitely have negative effects.

3) BB himself has said (and I don't think it's simply a canned response) that the coaching could have been better in some situations - IN MY OPINION this is a factor - how much is open to interpretation

4) The wholsale condemnation of defensive coaching (and BB's selection of Patricia as DC) makes little sense to me - an example - when the Pats were being shredded in the reg season Denver game, Patricia scrapped the D game plan and rewrote it on the fly and, yes, that was Patricia who did that - every defensive player interviewed credited him with making the adjustments.  One game does not make a hall of fame defensive coach but I do not see Patricia as a major issue here.  IN MY OPINION

Some people like to dwell on only those things that support their particular line of thinking and give no credence to any evidence that supports anything less than what they believe.  While I certainly was not pleased with how the defense performed in the game against Buffalo (very poor tackling, overall), I am not going to base my entire perception of the defense on that one game.  If I'm not mistaken, they looked particularly good against the Rams, just one game before.  I am more inclined to believe that they lacked some focus following their week off.  This would seem to be more a reflection of youth and inexperience and less about the coaching.  I think this next game will give us a much better feel for where they are.

5) The Pats lead the league (not the conference, the league) in turnover differential - defenses that are a complete disaster (which was strongly implied if not stated outright in several posts) do not lead the league in this category - IN MY OPINION

Fair point.  This does not imply that they don't still have work to do, but it does give them credit for, at least, one thing that they do particularly well.

Now, I've stated my point of view, my opinion.  Note that I haven't made (or certainly tried to avoid) categorical statements.  This is an opinion forum and fans have their opinions.  MY OPINION is that this forum has become much too alarmist.

Fire away.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This just in> 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

frnk
    you are not allowed to speak that the emperor has no clothes on this board. did you not know that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

When was BB crowned a defensive genius and why? Does this go back to his days as the giants dc? If so, that was a long time ago with a set of players similar to what the pats had in 2001-04.

The mark of a true genius is being able to ring blood from a stone. Getting the most out of these kids and getting them to work together. This hasn't happened. 

I think one of the least talked about reasons why this d stinks it up and one I believe to be a larger contributing factor than swinging and missing in the draft, is his consistent swings and misses in FA for this defense. The old BB always relied on a few savvy vets to play key roles. What we have is a young d. I think the talent is there to be better, and I think they would be better if he swung and hit on some key defensive fa's. Imagine if fanene played and played well..or if fat Albert panned out, or bodden stayed on the rostethine would have some key spots being filled. Y savvy vets, who would compliment perfectly a young team. This is a key missing eleMent.

Back to the coaching thing. Scheme, players, both? It is known that BB plays a complex defense . I think he has dumbed it down for the young guys, and he and fat Matt are being ultra conservative because he knows these young guys are prone to make mistakes. It's part of the learning process. 

Fat mat is a young, inexperienced coach. I have nothing against him, but he is not the type of guy, one with a very limited resume that you want leading a very young d where player development is so critical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

They lead the division.

As someone said their 3 losses came by a total of 4 points.

2 of those losses were on the road.

If that means big changes are needed, what's up with the rest of the league?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They lead the division.

[/QUOTE]

Do you really see this team winning a championship...playing defense the way they are? Again, the Pats are not the Miami Dolphins, or Indy Colts...where making the play-offs, or winning a divisional title is a big deal. It's SB or bust. As for the BS about 3 losses by 4 points...a loss is a loss, whether by one point or 10. The Pats' win over the Jets was in OT...and they barely beat the Bills last week. Those games could have gone either way, too.

If the season ended today...odds are that the Pats would have to beat both Baltimore and Houston on the road to advance to the SB. With the "D" playing as it is, I don't see that happening. Do you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Here's what I don't understand - rationals help me out. 

If the mentality of a few is "SUPERBOWL OR BUST", and the pats haven't won a SB in nearly a decade, why haven't these people busted? 

IMO, the NFL is cyclical.  There is an ebb and flow to success.  The salary cap nearly mandates it.  Thus, the Patriots success (as Rusty will correctly tell you) has been unique.  But even the uniqueness of the pats cannot overcome personnel and coaching changes as well as Cap requirements.  It seems an unrealistic expectation that the Pats can win a Super Bowl EVERY year, but frankly they've been in that conversation and are in it again this year. 

Again, it is one thing to lament some of the problems inherent to unavoidable changes but to go ballistic demonstrates a level of mental instability.  And to reiterate, if that mentality is to win a Super Bowl or bust, then shouldn't Texas Pat have "busted" for the last decade?  Texas mentally unstable or hypocritcally barking and toothless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

All I have to say about this thread is: All is right on the Boston.com message board again. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hm. Pats DB crew doesn't have one player as good as Ike Taylor or Clark, let alone Polamalu. 

The Pats have Fork, who is better than any one player on the Pitt line, but as a whole I give the edge to Pitt. 

And yeah, The Pitt OLBs are better than NE's DEs. Sorry. Jones is very good. But Woodley, Worilds and Harrison are much better than Nink, Cunningham (JAGS) and Jones (who is special). 

I do NOT want to see NE try crazy LeBeau blitz schemes. Sorry. This DB crew cannot handle that. They would get gashed for big play after big play. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Here's what I don't understand - rationals help me out. 

If the mentality of a few is "SUPERBOWL OR BUST", and the pats haven't won a SB in nearly a decade, why haven't these people busted? 

IMO, the NFL is cyclical.  There is an ebb and flow to success.  The salary cap nearly mandates it.  Thus, the Patriots success (as Rusty will correctly tell you) has been unique.  But even the uniqueness of the pats cannot overcome personnel and coaching changes as well as Cap requirements.  It seems an unrealistic expectation that the Pats can win a Super Bowl EVERY year, but frankly they've been in that conversation and are in it again this year. 

Again, it is one thing to lament some of the problems inherent to unavoidable changes but to go ballistic demonstrates a level of mental instability.  And to reiterate, if that mentality is to win a Super Bowl or bust, then shouldn't Texas Pat have "busted" for the last decade?  Texas mentally unstable or hypocritcally barking and toothless.

[/QUOTE]

The words of a proven, known liar aren't worth a plug nickel. Talk about barking, and toothless allegations?? I give to you, "The Dog(ggggg)". LOL!!! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hm. Pats DB crew doesn't have one player as good as Ike Taylor or Clark, let alone Polamalu. 

The Pats have Fork, who is better than any one player on the Pitt line, but as a whole I give the edge to Pitt. 

And yeah, The Pitt OLBs are better than NE's DEs. Sorry. Jones is very good. But Woodley, Worilds and Harrison are much better than Nink, Cunningham (JAGS) and Jones (who is special). 

I do NOT want to see NE try crazy LeBeau blitz schemes. Sorry. This DB crew cannot handle that. They would get gashed for big play after big play. 

[/QUOTE]

"Z"...who are the Steeler DBs that are so much better than the Pats' DBs? If you go back and re-read my original text comparing the Pats secondary with that of the Steelers, I said, "minus Polamalu". That said, Polamalu has been a non-factor though, this season. He's 31 years old, and has been out a good deal of the year due to injuries. Even without him, the Steeler's "D" clicks. Also, in comparing LBs, you left out Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower, who are much better players than anything that the Steelers have, inside. James Harrison has been nicked up all season and, at age 34, isn't close to being the player he once was. Worilds??? Really??  

Wasn't Dont'a Hightower drafted to help rush the passer? Why hasn't he been used in this fashion...on both inside and outside blitzes? Why is Nink still playing DE, where he's obviously overmatched, size-wise? I'm not buying how sending an extra LB puts the Pats' secondary at any greater risk. They're giving up big plays when the Pats' rush only three, or four. Opposing QBs  are being given far too much time to throw. The "D" needs to start making things happen, by finding ways to get pressure on them.

Andrew Luck will pick the Pats apart this week, unless a way is found to pressure him. Blitzing worked in London against Sam Bradford. It should be tried again.   

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TP QUOTE:

Andrew Luck will pick the Pats apart this week, unless a way is found to pressure him. Blitzing worked in London against Sam Bradford. It should be tried again.   

UNQUOTE

So to be clear on this, TP, unless BB subscribes to your approach the Pats are toast?  Have I got that right? Seriously, am I reading you correctly?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They lead the division.

[/QUOTE]

Do you really see this team winning a championship...playing defense the way they are? Again, the Pats are not the Miami Dolphins, or Indy Colts...where making the play-offs, or winning a divisional title is a big deal. It's SB or bust. As for the BS about 3 losses by 4 points...a loss is a loss, whether by one point or 10. The Pats' win over the Jets was in OT...and they barely beat the Bills last week. Those games could have gone either way, too.

If the season ended today...odds are that the Pats would have to beat both Baltimore and Houston on the road to advance to the SB. With the "D" playing as it is, I don't see that happening. Do you?

[/QUOTE]

A win is a win!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

TP QUOTE:

UNQUOTE

So to be clear on this, TP, unless BB subscribes to your approach the Pats are toast?  Have I got that right? Seriously, am I reading you correctly?

[/QUOTE]

You homers are a scream...LOL!!!