Pats offense could top 2007

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Re: Pats offense could top 2007

One small chink in the armor~ the Oline is hurting without Mankins, Kaczur has miss time in camp and so has Neal. But it's early so there's time to get this group sound and ready. They'll need to be Brady got hit alot last year and that has to stop. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Pats offense could top 2007:
    [QUOTE]One small chink in the armor~ the Oline is hurting without Mankins, Kaczur has miss time in camp and so has Neal. But it's early so there's time to get this group sound and ready. They'll need to be Brady got hit alot last year and that has to stop. 
    Posted by HRK103[/QUOTE]

True but Dante Scharnecchia is a very good o-line coach and I wont be surprised if some of the young guys play well. Also with an expected improvement in Brady's game being 2 years removed from the knee the o-line should not have as much pressure on them. More weapons on offense more options = the ball coming out quicker etc. I think the line will be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm concerned about the O line and the defense situation.  I thought for sure the D would be stacked this season after last season disaster.  So it's possible the Offense could be playing a lot of catch up this year..... again, which they could score a bunch of points.  But then again, with the O line situation, Brady might not get as much time in the pocket as he got in 2007. 

So as of right now I must say, wishful thinking on your part.  But I do like optimism!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

[QUOTE]I'm concerned about the O line and the defense situation.  I thought for sure the D would be stacked this season after last season disaster.  So it's possible the Offense could be playing a lot of catch up this year..... again, which they could score a bunch of points.  But then again, with the O line situation, Brady might not get as much time in the pocket as he got in 2007.  So as of right now I must say, wishful thinking on your part.  But I do like optimism!
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

mankins will be back within 2 weeks time, and the o-line will be upgraded above and beyond that. in fact they had a pretty good pick up today if i`m not mistaken. BB and BK will not allow a few weak spots to wreck what could be a great season. will not happen. the D will be rested and will be sooo much better than last year when if you remember the offense was virtually impotent in the 2nd half all season long, yet they still won 10 games. you can pencil in another 2+ wins this time around and a run deep into the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

They might end up being better, but they won't match 07's stats. Which is fine....assuming they get a ring out of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

How many of last year's problems have been solved?

? Inability to rush the passer.
    ? Predictable play calling
    ? Inability to consistently run the ball, especially in the red zone.
    ? Inability to consistently protect Brady

How many rookies or guys who didn't even play in their first year can reasonably be counted on to be difference makers? 

Major Pats fan, but I don't see that any of the big problems of last year have been solved.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Our 2007 offense wasn't even as good as our 2007 offense.  No, that's not a typo on my part.  When I look back at the 2007 offense, I see two distinct offenses.  Prior to the game against the Eagles, we were lighting up opponents at will.  From the Eagles game onward, we had a good offense, but not a great one.  The fact is that if we had played all year the way we did after the Eagles game, we wouldn't have broken a single offensive record.

What changed?  Defenses adapted to our scheme, and they didn't even have to wait for the offseason to dissect it.  So actually, I think we could BEGIN 2010 with a better offense than we ENDED 2007.  The records broken in 2007 greatly skew the reality that existed in the latter part of the season.  Yet one more reason why I hate stats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Our 2007 offense wasn't even as good as our 2007 offense.  No, that's not a typo on my part.  When I look back at the 2007 offense, I see two distinct offenses.  Prior to the game against the Eagles, we were lighting up opponents at will.  From the Eagles game onward, we had a good offense, but not a great one.  The fact is that if we had played all year the way we did after the Eagles game, we wouldn't have broken a single offensive record. What changed?  Defenses adapted to our scheme, and they didn't even have to wait for the offseason to dissect it.  So actually, I think we could BEGIN 2010 with a better offense than we ENDED 2007.  The records broken in 2007 greatly skew the reality that existed in the latter part of the season.  Yet one more reason why I hate stats.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Great point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Things I like about the O:

Brady's 2nd year back from surgery

Contract year for Moss

Exciting young players that can bring versatility

Things I'm concerned about:

3 of our RBs are older than me

The O-Line's inability to open holes for the old RBs

Welker's health

Exciting young players that might not fully grasp the offense

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Pat Kirwan had this to say about the offensive line:

Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins  isn't in camp and you have to wonder how the offensive line will look. As usual, the Patriots made an adjustment and looked like they will be ready to open holes and, more importantly, protect Brady. Brady was sacked just once every 35.3 pass attempts a season ago and the present starting five linemen look solid, especially right tackle Sebastian Vollmer.

Stephen Neal decided to play again after considering retirement and was very excited about the season when we spoke. Nick Kaczur, who has been the right tackle, moved to guard and looked better than he did on the edge. Don't let anyone tell you the line is in trouble without Mankins. There's no doubt he makes them better, but they'll be okay until he returns.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d81973dc2/article/influx-of-youth-gives-pats-new-feel-in-bid-to-stay-atop-afc-east&campaign=Ext_Email_NL0805

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

2007 was more an anomaly than the norm. I can`t see Brady throwing 45-50 TDs or more this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

[QUOTE]Our 2007 offense wasn't even as good as our 2007 offense.  No, that's not a typo on my part.  When I look back at the 2007 offense, I see two distinct offenses.  Prior to the game against the Eagles, we were lighting up opponents at will.  From the Eagles game onward, we had a good offense, but not a great one.  The fact is that if we had played all year the way we did after the Eagles game, we wouldn't have broken a single offensive record. What changed?  Defenses adapted to our scheme, and they didn't even have to wait for the offseason to dissect it.  So actually, I think we could BEGIN 2010 with a better offense than we ENDED 2007.  The records broken in 2007 greatly skew the reality that existed in the latter part of the season.  Yet one more reason why I hate stats.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Great post! I would rather see them use the 2004 offense as the benchmark!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

This is a foolish post, it wont happen, cant happen and is just a pure pipe dream on someone that just smoked too much dope! Shizzle muh nizzle

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]How many of last year's problems have been solved? ? Inability to rush the passer. ? Predictable play calling ? Inability to consistently run the ball, especially in the red zone. ? Inability to consistently protect Brady How many rookies or guys who didn't even play in their first year can reasonably be counted on to be difference makers?  Major Pats fan, but I don't see that any of the big problems of last year have been solved.   
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

I agree, they haven't improved the defense on paper and had some resources to do it (picks, money, a hard sell from Bill). But as far as the offense goes I think it could be very good, except for the fact that Moss is not the same guy he was 3 years ago and he was the x factor that made that offense so unstopable. I do however feel the tightends will be an upgrade and the overall depth at wideout will be better than 07. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The passing offense will certainly top 2007.  The problem is, the running game threatens to be average or below. 

Plusses in the running game:  Sebastian Vollmer and Steve Neal.  Edelman may not move the pile but he is a laterally-accelerating  change of pace.  Gronk's backup, Alge Crumpler, is actually a pretty good blocker and a plus for the running game, plus he can rarely catch the football.

Break-even issues in the running game:  Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor are currently healthy.  Maroney is currently healthy.  Unfortunately, all of these people need to take Sally Field seriously as she sells Boniva on TV with her fragile-sounding voice. 

Minus issues:  The O-line just blew through its first backup guy at one guard position, and it's a serious injury.  The second backups at guard are well-apprenticed and healthy, but they originally went undrafted because they were weaker, slower and less talented.  BJGE is very close to a real running back but if no one else is available, he has to carry the load.

Passing game plusses: 

No one in camp has been able to defend Moss.  They'll defend against any other team, but with Moss it's better for them to spend their time sending out for pizza.

Tate keeps pulling them in. All that's needed is for Brian Hoyer to put them on target.  This guy is a shock waiting for a sucker.

Gronkowski is the proverbial broad side of a barn, with soft hands.  Every time that I look at training camp notes it's touchdown Gronk.  I expect the same phrase all season.  Best guess, Gronk is going to have his blocking game down soon enough. 

Hernandez gets touchdowns in training camp and is trying to learn the playbook, but I worry just a bit about the guy's intelligence. 

Taylor Price is a real kid but he will gradually get more balls by November.  He is a great tool.   Enough with the manhood jokes.  He's a plus.

Then there's BB's love of laterally accelerating slot receivers.  No one can stop Wes Welker from getting open.  Few can stop Edelman either before or after he catches the ball.  How many teams have this luxury?

Brady was not recovered in 2009.  Unlike 2009, he's been practicing all offseason.

The net effect is that Brady will be looking deep left for single coverage, looking deep right, then aiming for eight yards a play on first down.  The occasional bomb into the endzone is really nice, while a crushing 15 play touchdown drive has its advantages too.  I'm afraid that the death star is fully operational.

I predict that Brady will not top his 52 points early in the third quarter of the Tennessee game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Pats offense could top 2007:
    [QUOTE]yes, i mean that. when i evaluate the entire receiving corps, i see greater depth than in `07. we have the makings of a passing game that could very well be unstoppable. providing protection for brady is key in making this happen however. also, the young tight ends, BOTH of whom are #1 round- type draft picks, not ony give brady something he didn`t have in `07, but with crumpler and gronkowski, a few wide-bodies who can open up some holes for maroney too run through. and now that i mentioned maroney, i believe that BB will be mixing it up this year in the way he is used, by getting the football to him in the open field, thus exploiting his great speed. the return game should also be better than in `07 with tate, edelmann, price and mccourty upgrading that important function. it`s going to be the passing game however that will be second to none, allowing NE to score at or near the top in the NFL, but allowing the defense to consistently stay off the field for long stretches of time while they gain valuable experience and develop an idenity as a unit.
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]

I don't see it happening...

1) 2007 was a special and charmed year for the Patriots right up till the end. They were able to Galvanize with a Team vs the world attitude because of Spy Gate. So far there is no event like that happening around this 2010 team to generate that added incentive.

2) 2007 was the 1st year they ever loaded up at WR and unleashed the spread offense in that primary way. Opposing teams had to rewrite the book on defending the NE Patriots. New primary receivers Moss and Welker in the New Patriot offensive system. As well as Josh McD's own flavor on it and tendencies. Not only did teams adjust all the way through 2007 to the Patriots WR's and offense they have had multiple years more to do it and have and continue to do it. The 2009 offense with Brady was completely stymied way to often and until Brady and company prove otherwise in 2010 we can't assume they won't have similar games or half's in 2010. 

3) Josh McDaniel's vs. Bill O'Brien?

4) In 2007 all 4 top receivers were multi year NFL veteran WR's allowing for a greater possibility to come out of the proverbial gate firing on all cylinders. 2010? Well if Holt ends up being one of the top 4 this year then we will have 3 veterans but its possible that Edeleman, Tate, are ahead of him on the depth chart. It's just all unknown right now until the real competition starts. If they have more youth in the mix at the top then chances are they may start a bit slower but gradually getting better through the course of the season as they gain more experience. To top or come close to the record setting 2007 numbers a team has to start the season hitting on all cylinders and never slow.

5) Strength of schedule. On paper the 2007 team schedule was moderately difficult. The 2010 team faces a much more difficult schedule and tighter division right now, on paper.

6) Luck. Every championship team has some luck and good fortune go its way during the run to the super bowl. Turn overs, bounces, calls, etc. I am sure I was one of the few complaining about Brady's decision making during the 2007 season since it kept working. Honestly in my opinion Moss and Brady had horse shoes up their butt during that season. The number of successful completions that Brady threw into double and triple coverage for Moss was ridiculous. Those are very low percentage throws no matter how great Moss and Brady are. You can not "expect" that same luck into double and triple coverage again, they did not have it last year in 09.

7) Health. In 2007 the charmed Patriots remained relatively healthy for the entire season. That's not typically the case every season and no one yet knows how healthy the 2010 team can remain.

There are actually a number of other variables to bring up revolving around positions and inexperience vs the age and experience of the 2007 team.

Lets also not forget the amount of tries the offense needs to get and that requires the defense to get them the ball back quicker and more often.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Honestly I was and still am NOT fond of Moss.  He does some things fine, yes.  But as soon as he showed up it was bomb to moss... bomb to moss.... bomb to moss... and wes welker doing most of the gut work across the middle.  Please give me the days of passes completed to tight ends, linebackers, running backs, pirouette screens, ACTUAL NUMBER TWO RECEIVERS and the whole overquoted "tom brady's favorite receiver is the open one" again.  And if we get that, yes, we will be better than in 2007.  Maybe not stat wise, but we will not be stoppable and will finish the deal.  The Giants were not that great in the SB, its just that we were SO predictable that they could just tee off on us.  That's an overstatement, yes, but there is ALOT of truth there.