Pats QB issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Pats QB issue

Pats IMHO must get a real QB this year. Some one that can step in and actually challenge Brady.

i am not saying TB is done or should step aside. I just believe a QB that can challenge and even maybe take the job away is necessary. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Pats QB issue

bold move and statment. i think they should trqde mallet and find maybe McCarron as Brady's successor in three years.

he's still playing at a high level

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

So, that is what you look like, Rusty!

One thing to say this, another to mention a name or two.  So easy to say "The Pats need to do X" then not offer anything concrete.  Who can the Pats get RIGHT NOW that accomplishes your recommendation?  Also, is there a QB that could have done what TB did this year with the offense he was given?  If there is, you may have something there, but, most talking heads are giving a significant amount of credit to Brady for accomplishing what he did with the derth of talent he had to throw to for which no other QB could have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing to say this, another to mention a name or two.  So easy to say "The Pats need to do X" then not offer anything concrete.  Who can the Pats get RIGHT NOW that accomplishes your recommendation?  Also, is there a QB that could have done what TB did this year with the offense he was given?  If there is, you may have something there, but, most talking heads are giving a significant amount of credit to Brady for accomplishing what he did with the derth of talent he had to throw to for which no other QB could have.

[/QUOTE]

You don't remember Jim?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You don't remember Jim?

[/QUOTE]

Tongue in cheek.....   just something Rusty would profer!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Defense buddy....this team needs a dominant D or close to it.  Didnt we just see the theory proven that D wins championships?? You like seeing MVP Qbs choke in the big game after breaking records? I do ...when its another team. Ive seen the happen to Brady already in 07. NO QB is gonna win with this Chitty D. Time to upgrade the D from regular season studs to postseason performers.....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats IMHO must get a real QB this year. Some one that can step in and actually challenge Brady.

i am not saying TB is done or should step aside. I just believe a QB that can challenge and even maybe take the job away is necessary. 

[/QUOTE]

you're right. BB needs to plan now, be proactive and get a real future replacement. Mallet isn't the answer, trade him.

if need be, TB could sliide into a backup, OC role and mentor the new kid.

i'd like a pure pocket QB, that is mobile.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Defense buddy....this team needs a dominant D or close to it.  Didnt we just see the theory proven that D wins championships?? You like seeing MVP Qbs choke in the big game after breaking records? I do ...when its another team. Ive seen the happen to Brady already in 07. NO QB is gonna win with this Chitty D. Time to upgrade the D from regular season studs to postseason performers.....

[/QUOTE]

Defense wins championships....every now and then. 85 Bears, Ravens, Bucs, now Seattle. The teams that had better offenses have won more often. Or better yet, the team (offense or defense-driven) that gets hot at the right time, like the 07 NYG, the 10 Packers, the Pats in '01, and on and on.

QB is still and will always remain the most important position by far. You can win a title with a just competent D, but not an incompetent QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I just wish he would work on his deep ball, it's god awful even if some of you guys won't admit it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just wish he would work on his deep ball, it's god awful even if some of you guys won't admit it.

[/QUOTE]

certainly has regressed since 2007.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did not say that Brady waS DONE. I did not say Brady had a bad year.

I did say they need to get some one to actually challenge him for the job. He is now 36 At 38 in 2 yrs there will quite likely be a need for a REAL back up QB. If they get some one now he will have time to learn the system under Brady.

As far as offering up a name. I do not know all the QBs coming up in the draft and the FA seem to be all over 30.

The Pats need to find that smart QB that is similar to Brady if there is one. That guy who is good enough but like Brady may have been pushed aside for the next hot shot. He11 Wilson was not expected to be all he is. So they are out there. I do not want the "SURE" thing as it will cost too much and could cause issues with in the team.

I just believe way too much can happen in the next 2 to 4 yrs to Brady that could cause the very quick decension of the Pats regardless if he wants to play till he is 45. In the late 30's your body starts to do things that you do not expect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Brady has two legitimate seasons left in him, imo, and that's assuming he gets some receivers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defense wins championships....every now and then. 85 Bears, Ravens, Bucs, now Seattle. The teams that had better offenses have won more often. Or better yet, the team (offense or defense-driven) that gets hot at the right time, like the 07 NYG, the 10 Packers, the Pats in '01, and on and on.

QB is still and will always remain the most important position by far. You can win a title with a just competent D, but not an incompetent QB.

[/QUOTE]

yep.  need to shore up OL/DL, DE/OLB, DBs, TE

[/QUOTE]

Off-topic, but what'd you end up cooking on SB Sunday?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I understand what Jim is saying although I don't necessarily agree.  Brady pushes himself and is tougher on himself than anyone.  Now if the issue is Mallet we don't really know what the Pats have in him.  He sees the field in practice and in the preseason and that's just about it.

What I would like to see is Mallet on the field when the Pats have the game clearly in hand.  Some actual game experience. Whether or not that meets BB's plan is another question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I heard yesterday, the team with the better Offensive stats, faced the team with the better Defensive stats, last 6 out of 7 SB's was won by team. with better Defensive stats. According to NFL Network at least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

As I have said; Brady should demand a trade and go to a team that doesn't have a mickey mouse GM.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well here's the problem with getting a "real QB" this year to challenge Brady. One..Brady doesn't need to be challenged, the guy is pretty motivated...some would say he is almost too competitive (see all the babies crying when he gets mad at average/crap receivers who can't catch footballs). Two...how do you acquire a real QB? You have to pay for those guys, they don't grow on trees. Three...what if you actually got a "real QB"? What's he going to do here? Sit on the bench and rot? Cause a QB controversy? Want to be paid? Asked to be traded? Or is he just going to sit there for another two years quiet and happy, improving while not actually playing?

Of you want to continue drafting qb's in the forth round...groom him, pretend he's good off of a few throws in preseason games and then trade him for a higher pick, go ahead and do it. Why not? We do that all the time. If a first round talent fell to the second round, yeah go ahed and take him...who cares? It may be a waste of resources at first, but I've watched this team draft Ron Brace, Rasi Dowling, Butler, Cunningham, Tavon Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson and more in the past. I think we could take a chance on a QB if the value was there...what's the worst that could happen?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did not say that Brady waS DONE. I did not say Brady had a bad year.

I did say they need to get some one to actually challenge him for the job. He is now 36 At 38 in 2 yrs there will quite likely be a need for a REAL back up QB. If they get some one now he will have time to learn the system under Brady.

As far as offering up a name. I do not know all the QBs coming up in the draft and the FA seem to be all over 30.

The Pats need to find that smart QB that is similar to Brady if there is one. That guy who is good enough but like Brady may have been pushed aside for the next hot shot. He11 Wilson was not expected to be all he is. So they are out there. I do not want the "SURE" thing as it will cost too much and could cause issues with in the team.

I just believe way too much can happen in the next 2 to 4 yrs to Brady that could cause the very quick decension of the Pats regardless if he wants to play till he is 45. In the late 30's your body starts to do things that you do not expect.

[/QUOTE]

Understood.  Still, Brady, has shown no sign he is about to "fall off the cliff".  It may not happen this draft, most likely next year, unless an injury occurs, in which we may see a back-up QB on the team that can stand the test of this fan base to be the successor to TB.

One question that can be asked:  "Will the Pats draft for another pocket type passer or go the route of a "wilson" type player?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well here's the problem with getting a "real QB" this year to challenge Brady. One..Brady doesn't need to be challenged, the guy is pretty motivated...some would say he is almost too competitive (see all the babies crying when he gets mad at average/crap receivers who can't catch footballs). Two...how do you acquire a real QB? You have to pay for those guys, they don't grow on trees. Three...what if you actually got a "real QB"? What's he going to do here? Sit on the bench and rot? Cause a QB controversy? Want to be paid? Asked to be traded? Or is he just going to sit there for another two years quiet and happy, improving while not actually playing?

Of you want to continue drafting qb's in the forth round...groom him, pretend he's good off of a few throws in preseason games and then trade him for a higher pick, go ahead and do it. Why not? We do that all the time. If a first round talent fell to the second round, yeah go ahed and take him...who cares? It may be a waste of resources at first, but I've watched this team draft Ron Brace, Rasi Dowling, Butler, Cunningham, Tavon Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson and more in the past. I think we could take a chance on a QB if the value was there...what's the worst that could happen?

[/QUOTE]

We have no resources whatsoever available to waste on a frivolity like another QB. Far far far too many holes to fill for that sort of nonsense.

BB already has wasted some valuable picks on the likes of Mallet, O'Connell and Davey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

I've gone back and forth on this QB issue.  In a post 2 years or so ago, I boldy opined that the Pats should trade TB for 2 impact players and a high draft pick.  It was rash, as I was sick of 2-3 flat outings by the O in the postseason.  The window in time for that strategy is well passed now.  It is time to groom TB's successor.  I think Mallet is a bust.  Hoyer might have been OK, but more (armstrength) is needed.  I like the look of Kirk Cousins in DC.  He is young and seems mobile enough to buy time when needed.  Most of all, he has the headiness that TB had before his knee injury.  He reads the defense well and gets what he can.  He is a thinking QB too, which is what BB wants.  A poor man's Russell Wilson, maybe?  He has performed in key games as well, which is a plus.  Isn't this a walk year for him?  There seem to be many QBs available in the draft so that is an option too.  Maybe some draftniks can comment but I am now a little leery of McCarron.  I think he played heavy (slow) this past year.  If you can't maintain discipline for a Championship run, what will happen to him in the pros?  I ask the same question in regards to Clowney by the way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard yesterday, the team with the better Offensive stats, faced the team with the better Defensive stats, last 6 out of 7 SB's was won by team. with better Defensive stats. According to NFL Network at least.

[/QUOTE]

Something is not right with this picture, just off the top of my noggin:

'07: Pats had a better D, statistically. They were 4th in the NFL that year, NYG was way down, they got hot.

'08: Pitt was definitely better than AZ defensively, and were life and death to beat the 9-7 Cards.

'09: Saints/Colts, both offense driven teams, I believe the Saints were the top O that year?

'10: Packers/Pitt were like 1 and 2 on defense, Pack much better on offense. 

'11: Pats were middle of the pack and NYG was near the bottom defensively.

'12: Ravens were something like 17th on defense and SF was near the top.

'13: Yeah, defense rules (this year at least).

So, based on my memory, the clearly better defensive team won twice, this year and in 2008. Otherwise, they were roughly even defensively (2009 and 2010) or the lesser defense prevailed (2007, 2011, 2012).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

To follow up, before this year you have to go back to the 2000 Bucs to find a team where the QB wasn't (at least arguably) the best player on the team. Between Brad Johnson and Wilson there was Brady, both Mannings, Big Ben, Rodgers, Flacco and Brees that have won SBs. So if you don't have a Seattle or Tampa level defense, which is awfully rare, you better have good QB play. 

24. This post has been removed.