Pats Release

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Pats Release

Donald  Jones,just hear on WEEI

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: Pats Release

He had no money up front and if he was here next week they had to pony up $200,000 . . .  they must like their rookie wideouts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This must be another one of their...low risk...high reward!! Types. Honestly I forgot the guy was even signed this off season, he got lost in the shuffle of our game of Clue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

This must be another one of their...low risk...high reward!! Types. Honestly I forgot the guy was even signed this off season, he got lost in the shuffle of our game of Clue.

hahaha ... well played

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I believe his tweeting on the Zimmerman case got him tossed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

He had no money up front and if he was here next week they had to pony up $200,000 . . .  they must like their rookie wideouts!

Not nessecially. I want to believe that but Jones was a nice low cost 3rd or 4th WR with injury issues when they signed him so him getting tossed wasn't a big shocker. However, Jones does save the team another $600k on the cap. Since they are allowed to spend up to $128mil this season ($5mil of which can't be carried over next season) and the latest figures had them just slightly over $10mil of free space it really makes you wonder why they didn't use that money when they had it. All those starting caliber CB's who went for $5mil a year or Welker in addition to Amendola or tossing a couple extra mil for Sanders. Not spending in the down year (contract wise) might be coming back to bite them at this point

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Maybe they still plan on sighning another veteran or two before the start of the season...they're thin on the interior DL and at DE in terms of vets...they may have talent at both but not loads of veteran talent and that's what you'll need to make a serious run in the playoffs...also, possibly at wr?...cap amangement is one of their strengths, even considering the travails of AH

The problem with that statement is that it is the 2nd and 3rd tier market. For the most part teams have their caps fairly well set and if they are releasing players it's for performance or other issues. Also with FA's generally they went unsigned for a reason. You aren't going to get good talent on that market or you are looking at troubled players no one else wants. So you are getting role players with minimal cost or you're spending to say you are spending in reality. Ellis was a great example. The Pats gave him $4 mil for one year because they had the left over cash but I wouldn't call him anything more than a role player in that year. When you had starting caliber players going at reduced contract prices this offseason having so much cap available and hoping for a diamond in the secondary and third tier market isn't the wisest bet. Put it this way, the Pats released Jones who was competing for a starting position on the team. That's the level of talent you can generally expect unless you get lucky and find a Woodhead. But, generally those are rare.

Now they could use the cash to extend players coming down the pipe but which players would you extend to the tune of $5-7 mil extra in this year? Talib is a possibility but I wouldn't touch him until the end of the year and even then his asking price might be to much if he plays well. Ballard is still unproven and a RFA so no need to extend right now. Cunningham, an extension shouldn't cost much given his performance up to this point if he makes it through camp. Really the only ones I can see them wanting to retain which will increase their bonuses are possibly Spikes, Mesko, Wendell, and Nink. But even extending all of them with raises I don't see would take up that much cap space.

It will be interesting to see what they do with all that cap space I just don't want to see another Ellis just for the sake of saying you used up the available cap. And I esp don't want them to say they want to carry it over into next year because they can't carry over $5mil.