Pats should cut Wilfork after the season and clear $8mil in 2014 cap space...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Pats should cut Wilfork after the season and clear $8mil in 2014 cap space...

Wilfork will turn 33 next season.

He's coming off an Achilles injury and might not be 100% by September.

He's had a mediocre 2013 when he got injured.

Siliga has played well in his absence.

It makes too much sense. The team will have a lot of holes to fill this offseason. $8 mil of cap space > one more year of an over-the-hill DT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Pats should cut Wilfork after the season and clear $8mil in 2014 cap space...

Bill will cut Vince if he doesn't agree to some kind of restructure that is very team friendly.  I still think Vince is happy in NE, has already gotten his big contract from the team and will accommodate the FO in order to stay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Re: Pats should cut Wilfork after the season and clear $8mil in 2014 cap space...

http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont see why we cant have both. Siliga has been good in a pinch but we havent seen him anchor a D for years like we have in Fork. I was one of the guys who said maybe we wont be so bad when Fork went down until we played a few games. Maybe he wasnt making plays but he was still holding his own and allowing mayo to flourish.

In terms of his injury, I believe he had an ankle injury he got in preseason that he was playing through and the body compensated with all his weight and pressure moved to achilles  causing a rupture. I dont think its a sign of him prone to injury in his latter years. He has always been big was bigger when he first arrived than he is now and is still more athletic than Rob Ninkovich...lol. This was just a case of BB letting his best players wear down due to being overused as usual. For years BB surrounded Fork with CRAP and he wore down playing too many snaps so this year was a blessing because we were FORCED to find new talen and now maybe BB will rotate guys with Fork so he can stay fresh through the year and be more effective down the stretch.

Fork is still miles ahead of Siliga in terms of knowledge and experience that cant be discounted. Approach him with a restructure that allows him to retire a Pat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It will be interesting to see what happens with Big Vince.  A very tough injury to come back from for being an older, heavier guy.  I hope he makes it back and can work out something with his contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont see why we cant have both. Siliga has been good in a pinch but we havent seen him anchor a D for years like we have in Fork. I was one of the guys who said maybe we wont be so bad when Fork went down until we played a few games. Maybe he wasnt making plays but he was still holding his own and allowing mayo to flourish.

In terms of his injury, I believe he had an ankle injury he got in preseason that he was playing through and the body compensated with all his weight and pressure moved to achilles  causing a rupture. I dont think its a sign of him prone to injury in his latter years. He has always been big was bigger when he first arrived than he is now and is still more athletic than Rob Ninkovich...lol. This was just a case of BB letting his best players wear down due to being overused as usual. For years BB surrounded Fork with CRAP and he wore down playing too many snaps so this year was a blessing because we were FORCED to find new talen and now maybe BB will rotate guys with Fork so he can stay fresh through the year and be more effective down the stretch.

Fork is still miles ahead of Siliga in terms of knowledge and experience that cant be discounted. Approach him with a restructure that allows him to retire a Pat.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I prefer Vince, Kelly, Siliga and a #1 all in camp next year. I also think Vince will not play for the vets min, and the Jets will throw some money at him to make it hard for the PAts. Jets showing $23M available, before Sanchez and Holmes come off..

I am thinking Vince wants to say, the PAts want him to stay, and they can find common ground, but it wont be at 1 year at $1.5M 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Given what Vince has done with the team and how he is so ingrained into the local Boston scene, he may do what he must to stay with the team and not just uproot his family just to "get paid".  As noted by pcm, Wilfork has been paid very handsomely by the Pats and is set for life. Making a couple million a year for 2 - 3 years or more is not chump change. Playing out his career here, then being a d-line coach, seems a natural way to stay.  Hopefully, he sees this too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I agree. I prefer Vince, Kelly, Siliga and a #1 all in camp next year. I also think Vince will not play for the vets min, and the Jets will throw some money at him to make it hard for the PAts. Jets showing $23M available, before Sanchez and Holmes come off..

I am thinking Vince wants to say, the PAts want him to stay, and they can find common ground, but it wont be at 1 year at $1.5M 

Couldn't they just convert his remaining salary to a signing bonus and then extend him 2 years at the vet min in order to spread out the hit?  That way they don't have to ever let him hit the open market and he still gets a fair amount per year and the Patriots get some cap relief.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't they just convert his remaining salary to a signing bonus and then extend him 2 years at the vet min in order to spread out the hit?  That way they don't have to ever let him hit the open market and he still gets a fair amount per year and the Patriots get some cap relief.

[/QUOTE]

This would be the better option imo. They can't restructure because he's in the last year but they can extend him, convert his remaining base into signing bonus and divide it out. Personal I'd say extend him 4 (4th being a dead year), something to the tune of $2mil with that $8mil spread out over the 4years with the 2nd and half the 3rd guaranteed would be enough incentive to sign, imo, and cut that $11.5mil cap hit to around $5.5mil this year saving $6mil

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Restructure but extend the guy. What's left on his deal 1 year 8 mil? give him 2 and 9 and give him 4.5 the next two years or something along those lines.

Vince is a stand up guy and a Pat for life. I think he would do almost anything for BB and paycut is certainly one of them. Now, its all about how BB  appoaches this. if he lowballs VW or undervalues him VW could get pissed and leave for more money but that wont happen. Vince is a leader and practical coach right now. BB and he have the mutual respect to get a deal done imo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this sound like the ideal option but he is not a f/a is he? We could just ask him to restructur and based on  his attitude, his commitment and being a captain, I think he would oblige like Brady did..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Draft a DT (1st or 2nd round) then you ask vince to take a paycut. If VW is not playing ok, trade him for a 4th or 5th rounder. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Restructure but extend the guy. What's left on his deal 1 year 8 mil? give him 2 and 9 and give him 4.5 the next two years or something along those lines.

Vince is a stand up guy and a Pat for life. I think he would do almost anything for BB and paycut is certainly one of them. Now, its all about how BB  appoaches this. if he lowballs VW or undervalues him VW could get pissed and leave for more money but that wont happen. Vince is a leader and practical coach right now. BB and he have the mutual respect to get a deal done imo

[/QUOTE]

It's 11.5mil cap hit with 8mil being base so no matter what the 3.5 is counted on the books. What you suggested would require cutting him first then resigning or asking him to take a major pay cut. The best thing would be a straight extension. If you want to drop it down to 4.5mil per year it would be a 3 year guaranteeing his remaining base and 3mil over the last 2 yrs as a base. That would give a cap hit of 5.5 this year and 4.5 the remaining 2 but I'm not sure he'd go for that unless you guarantee those years. Better to extend over 3 with a dead 4th year and up his base for each. 1mil base his first (5.5mil), 1.5mil his 2nd and 3rd year (3.5mil cap hit), and 3mil his final year (5mil if the keep him for that 4th year). with the 2nd and 3rd year guaranteed. That gives him a guaranteed 12mil over 3 years with potential of 15 over 4 which might be enough to get him back over just cutting him which he would only get what another team would offer. The trick is to make it just high enough to give him enough guaranteed for him to want to stay but over a long enough period to minimize the cap hit and give themselves an out if need be 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and that sounds about right number wise. This is a guy who probably doesn't like the fact that he is sitting home injured getting paid - he just strikes me as that type - I can see him giving us a little relief next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's 11.5mil cap hit with 8mil being base so no matter what the 3.5 is counted on the books. What you suggested would require cutting him first then resigning or asking him to take a major pay cut. The best thing would be a straight extension. If you want to drop it down to 4.5mil per year it would be a 3 year guaranteeing his remaining base and 3mil over the last 2 yrs as a base. That would give a cap hit of 5.5 this year and 4.5 the remaining 2 but I'm not sure he'd go for that unless you guarantee those years. Better to extend over 3 with a dead 4th year and up his base for each. 1mil base his first (5.5mil), 1.5mil his 2nd and 3rd year (3.5mil cap hit), and 3mil his final year (5mil if the keep him for that 4th year). with the 2nd and 3rd year guaranteed. That gives him a guaranteed 12mil over 3 years with potential of 15 over 4 which might be enough to get him back over just cutting him which he would only get what another team would offer. The trick is to make it just high enough to give him enough guaranteed for him to want to stay but over a long enough period to minimize the cap hit and give themselves an out if need be 

[/QUOTE]

BOOM! thats exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't think of a scenario on the spot and didnt feel like typing all that out. Thats a great hypothetical right there though. I say give him full guarentee like TB and let him play it out. Even if in 3 years he cant play he's still a great leader and mentor for young guys and a great locker room presence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and that sounds about right number wise. This is a guy who probably doesn't like the fact that he is sitting home injured getting paid - he just strikes me as that type - I can see him giving us a little relief next year.

[/QUOTE]

agree. Vince is an ultimate team guy and a work horse. He is a Patriot for life, no doubt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I see The Pats and Vince doing something creative with his contract ala pcmIV's conversion post. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Love Vince, but there's no guarantee he'll make it all the way back or even to anything resembling what he was.  Also, he wasn't playing that well before he got hurt. Thing is, with big guys it sometimes goes south in a hurry. I'd hate to commit to three or four years of guaranteed money and the guy can't go anymore.

We already have any number of people on this board ready to blow a gasket about dead money, that might put them over the edge. Hmm, on second thought maybe that's the ticket...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Yes, please keep Fat Vince.  Because 20% of skill players ever return to the field after blowing out an achilles. And if you didn't know, Fat Vince is not a skill player. He will not be back.  Too old, too fat, too hurt.  But hey, I'd love to see that 3 year extention at, say, 7 mil a year.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Vince needs to do what HE needs to in order to remain on the team. What that is, who knows??? But one thing Vince and all of us know for sure is Vince isn't getting what he expected pre achillies. I hope he can make it back and does the right thing, because all sentiment aside, Bill will do what is best for the New England Patriots NO MATTER WHAT.