Pats Sign Steve Gregory

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Sign Steve Gregory

Done deal: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719181/source-pats-gregory-agree

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory

Glad to hear they liked him. 

Seems like he could be a really solid player. Doesn't have the sideline-to-sideline range of an Ed Reed, Polamalu, or Meriweather, but he is a solid tackler, and by all means a versatile player and a good person.

Hope to see this guy contribute. I'll be rooting for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well, he is average but better then who we had playing FS last year so thats a plus.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'm OK with the Pats not breaking the bank on guys like Mario Williams.  But there is a huge gap between the elite-level talent and guys like Gregory. 
    JAGs on the D are not going to provide the quantum leap in improvement that is needed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

O YEYY!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Everyone's 'JAG'... until they're not.

Don't write anyone off until you see them play here.

Plenty of perceived 'JAG's turned into impact players for this team while other herladed players flopped miserably.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Good move.  Gregory isn't a star but he's a HUGE upgrade in deep coverage over Ihedigbo and the others we had playing safety last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He's basically another corner in terms of size, just more competition in training camp for defensive backfield.  We might sign a slew of safeties and see who sticks, sometimes a cattle call is the best way to add someone useful.

Value signing's, typical Belichick...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

As long as he is a better tackler then Ihedigbo! Also I hope he stays away from the camera and plays hard, Ihedighbo lived in front of the camera every week and wasn't good except for running hismouth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory:
    [QUOTE]He's basically another corner in terms of size, just more competition in training camp for defensive backfield.  We might sign a slew of safeties and see who sticks, sometimes a cattle call is the best way to add someone useful. Value signing's, typical Belichick...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Worked wonders for the DLine last year, and not fom the expected players either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory : Worked wonders for the DLine last year, and not fom the expected players either.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In all honesty they really can't do any worse than the guys they had in there last year. I have no idea how this guy is as a player, but I did get too many chances to see how our guys were last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It worked out alright for the D line.  But I wonder if they are as fortunate this year.  After seeing the money getting tossed around, will Anderson and Carter settle for less that top dollar?
    And the secondary was a mess for the whole year.  You can't afford cattle calls in camp for every position and expect to make the improvements over last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A team is only as good as its worst player.  Ask any defense after Tom Brady has been picking on their rookie all day.

Following this philosophy, BB grabbed an actual player who was playing football, as opposed to a player who sat at home by the phone.  A cornerback who certainly can play is worth two draft picks who might.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Steve Gregory got just over $8.5M over three years from New England, with $3.35M guaranteed. That's starter money. FS next to Chung, likely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]A team is only as good as its worst player.  Ask any defense after Tom Brady has been picking on their rookie all day. Following this philosophy, BB grabbed an actual player who was playing football, as opposed to a player who sat at home by the phone.  A cornerback who certainly can play is worth two draft picks who might.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Good post

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Steve Gregory got just over $8.5M over three years from New England, with $3.35M guaranteed. That's starter money. FS next to Chung, likely.
    Posted by patriotzking18[/QUOTE]

Looks like the have him pegged as a starter going in.  We shall see what happens.

Per Rotoworld...

The Broncos and Panthers were also interested in the long-time Bolt, but he'll head to a team that sported one of the league's most dysfunctional secondaries in 2011. The Union-Tribune San Diego's Michael Gehlken reports Gregory will be New England's starting free safety after he played strong safety for the Chargers. Mar 15 - 5:56 PM

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think a lot of people are underestimating Gregory a bit.  I've seen him some, and thought he looked like a real soild player.  Supposed to be a very smart safety and good tackler.  I like the signing.  If I recall correctly, SD had him listed as a CB when he first broke into the league.  I think he transitioned to safety, so he should be pretty versitile and have decent ball skills.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

WOW! $3mil per for this smal,slow stiff??!! WOW! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

He sort of reminds me of Eugene Wilson.

Nothing really impressive, but a smart, opportunistic player who isn't going to make any kind of fatal mistakes.

Assuming he plays well, this will be a big upgrade for the secondary. As long as he's at the right spot at the right time, that's all we need. This will allow our CB's to play better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Not flashy but a good player. The Patriots have their share of injuries but manage to compete at a high level. Aside from great coaching they probably have the best depth in the league year in and year out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He reminds me of Sanders a lot. A solid dependable player. Given Meri got 2 yrs $6mil what Gregory got is a pretty decent deal. I think it's even lower than what Sanders got from Atl. Personally I think BB regretted letting Sanders go and this is his way of making up for it.

Good signing. Glad to see they are being more aggressive. Get a solid outside WR, maybe another front 7 player, and I would have loved to get Boss (what he got was reasonable) but I want a solid overall 3rd TE if we plan to continue to run a 2 TE set

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Actually, a pretty great call by wozzy's (and other's) take, in order to place this in better perspective...

Very simple, If ya break the signing of Gregory down this way...

/>There are certain positions whos overall value positionally, Might be the best beneficiaries of signing- the word was I believe, "A Slew" of jags, afterthoughts, just above average guys who were on teams with decent positional depth at their spot, And guys whom ARE regraded as above-average, but whom may have been dinged up and lost significant playing time the past 1 or more seasons...  Again, A "slew" of guys on the cheap and with decent potential, but currently VERY uncertain potential...

/>Ya may wanna offer the greater hedge-fund towards more impact positions, and on lesser numbers of guys at OTHER spots: QB, WR, LB, CB, etc...  BUT, In terms of the theory of numbers of cheap guys with decent potential that even just 1 or 2 of them will inevitably be able to man a position, and to do so in a manner which is solid enough to simply be a non-void, non-exploitable...but "trillion dollar-1 superstar free agent that'chre bankin' on"-Trully Impactful...just sayin', A position like Free Safety, maybe #2 Wideout, and seein' as the big craze is 3-4 D's...even findin' a quality and overlooked 4-3 DE through the technique of: A score of training camp invitees at the same position, and we'll see who rises to the top- Just might be a pretty decent method to do in some areas on the field.     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Experience playing behind a 34 front and coverages, smart and believe he's a good locker room guy.  He will make plays and help sure up the backend.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

its all about plugging holes before the draft.  That way if we don't get a Barron or Smith, we at least upgraded the position.