PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE

I Think we may have winner
    ( BB's already had him up to Foxboro )

NAME    : KENDALL HUNTER
    SCHOOL : Oklahoma St.
    SIZE     :     5' 7"  199 lbs

DESCRIPTION : Tough as nails tailback , quick as a cat , loves to get his hands dirty blocking LB's , good hands , and virtually un-tackle-able when he sets his sights on the end zone . Runs with purpose.

Think Poor mans Barry Sanders with attitude .
    ( Sanders 5 8" 200 lb )

Pound for pound the best Rb in the class of 2011

Here's some measurables from the Combine :

Top TEN RBs ~ 3 Cone Drill Results :
      (Probably the best measuring test of an Rb's agility)

Results
    NAMEPOS40 SPEED3-CONESHUTTLEVERTICALBROADBENCH
    Graig CooperRB4.606.664.03--11418
    Roy HeluRB4.406.674.0136.5011911
    Kendall HunterRB4.466.744.2135.0012224
    Stevan RidleyRB4.656.784.2136.0011818
    Anthony AllenRB4.566.794.0641.5012024
    Mikel LeshoureRB4.566.824.4038.0012221
    Vailala TauaRB4.656.894.1834.5011220
    Dion LewisRB4.566.904.1834.5011217
    Alexander GreenRB4.456.914.1534.0011420
    Delone CarterRB4.546.924.0737.0012027

Among ALL Rbs ( 50+ invited to combine )

1) Hunter finished 3rd in the 3 cone drill

2) 4th in broad jump ( Amazing considering he's 5 7" )

3) 7th in the 225 Bench Press
     ( 24 reps= W.T.F. ? ... Thats better than all but 4 of the Te 's ...and he's 199 Lb )

4) 12th in the Vertical leap ( Did I mention he's only 5 7 " ? )

5) 10th in 40 ( 4.56 ) He's not Chris Johnson ~ but he's got better moves and a bigger heart .

ROLL The Tape ...

2010 Highlights :

2009 Highlights :

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE

Kendall Hunter really isn't much of a secret.  He's been discussed.  He is one of the RBs that I would like the Pats to go after.  The other one is Helu.  There seems to be a high RB value this draft because most teams aren't looking for a RB this go around.  Probably grab either one of the two in the 3rd round pretty easily.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

In Response to Re: PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE:
    [QUOTE]Kendall Hunter really isn't much of a secret.  He's been discussed.  He is one of the RBs that I would like the Pats to go after.  The other one is Helu.  There seems to be a high RB value this draft because most teams aren't looking for a RB this go around.  Probably grab either one of the two in the 3rd round pretty easily.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE :
    Posted by noahsark99[/QUOTE]

Looks great but do we want three small backs. Isn't this like having another Woodhead?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

while he is a good RB, we need short yardage conversion/hard hitting power back

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Mikel Leshoure

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Demarco Murray

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

There are several good backs in this draft. I won't second guess BB on if and when - or who - he takes one but my own perspective is that LeShore looks like the best fit on this team. He gives them a bigger back, someone that can run inside but with the pop to break 20 or 40+ yard runs. He can catch which is not only an important thing in this league but with Brady at QB even more so. When I see films of him I think of Franco Harris who ended up in the HOF and ran for around 10,000 yards in his career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hunter is one of my favorite players, although he's not tall he can run inside or outside.  I see him a bit of a mix between woody and BJGE.

Another guy who the Pats seem to like is Todman from UConn.  he's fast good size and hands.

The guy I personally like who I believe would be a great fit is Alex Green from hawaii.  As you all know Hawaii throws the ball 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down.  they do not run the ball much but Green took advantage of every touch.  Rushed for 1,199 yards with 18 TDs in 146 carries that's 8.2 YPC.  He's also got soft hands and is a good pass catcher.  Played in a lot of shotgun formations and has experience and is a willing blocker.

Knock, plays too upright, a one cut back but very decisive won't dance around.  Be a Sammy Morris type role, projected as a 4th rndr.   
    6'0 225,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AJF1129. Show AJF1129's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE : Looks great but do we want three small backs. Isn't this like having another Woodhead?
    Posted by noahsark99[/QUOTE]....I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like another DH

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

We need a back who can also BLOCK . . . w/o Brady in there another season goes down the drain, remember because Faulk was out of that game two years ago Brady went down.  So I'm sure BB has that high on his list when he is evaluating these backs for the upcoming draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Looks good on tape.. but what "highlight" reel does not make the featured guy look like an all-star - roll Maroney's tape and you would think he is the next best thing. Poved he was not.
    Sorry to say he is not fast enough for his size.  200LB with his speed he will get lit up.  Gotta be 220 or better.  Leshour or Ingram or a F/A like Ronny Brown.  With all the picks the Pats have there is no need for "value" there is a need for playmaking studs. 
    I like the idea of trying to obtain value at positions but really - we have BJGE and Wood I think we have enough value - need a playmaker that teams have to worry about and can not assume, "Oh s__t Wood's in key on him" or "load the box BJGE is in". 
    The Pats need a guy that can do it all to 1. save Brady's arm a bit 2.set up the P/A pass and 3. Keep the safties guessing.

Just my opinion that and 2 bucks will get you a coffee.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

The two acknowledged Rb frontrunners are Ingram / Leshoure .

They're projected to go anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd .

Personally - I'd rather not see the Pats spending that kind of draft capital on the Rb position ( unless the guy is clearly the second coming of Bo Jackson )

Too many 1st round Rbs never live up to expectations.

Hence ~ the interest in so called 2nd tier Rbs .

If Hunter is sitting there in the 3rd round , I hope BB gives him strong consideration ...
    Seems like productive Rbs often come from this area of the draft as well .

So he's 5 7" , admittedly he's not Mike Alstott , but a bruiser could be found at the end of the draft ( or via UDFA route later on )

I'm going on record as saying THIS IS OUR GUY .

( BJGE isnt currently under contract and Woodhead is signed for only the next 2 seasons. Sammy Morris appears to be relegated to mainly special teams now and who knows whether Kevin Faulk is still in the Pats plans ... Bringing multiple Rbs into camp may be the best strategy for the position )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

These are the kind of guys I like looking at because no way does BB use a 1st round pick on a RB.  These days it's more often than not a losing proposition, and the one time BB did it look what happened.  Get a solid guy in the mid rounds.

Oh, and you sold me on everything you said except the sentence where you compared him with Barry Sanders...  How dare you. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE] Get a solid guy in the mid rounds. Oh, and you sold me on everything you said except the sentence where you compared him with Barry Sanders...  How dare you. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

I was wondering when I'd be catching heat for the Barry Sanders comparison

Hunter and Sanders both went to Okl. State .

( In my defense -I did say 'poor mans' )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

And to think Barry Sanders once backed up Thurman Thomas at OSU, no talent in that back field at all.

I like Kendall, but the only time he should be mentioned in the same breath as Barry is if someone asks about OSU RB's that played in the NFL and he needs to be drafted first.  Sanders was about a unique a running talent as we'll ever see, IMO.

I also prefer Shane Vereen to Hunter in the Rd 2-3 range, but wouldn't mind seeing Hunter in the NE backfield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]Hunter is one of my favorite players, although he's not tall he can run inside or outside.  I see him a bit of a mix between woody and BJGE. Another guy who the Pats seem to like is Todman from UConn.  he's fast good size and hands. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Todman was nto a pass chatching RB - so his hands are still questonable - but he was nto a big fumbler if that is what you meant.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Can I add - winner winner chicken dinner?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I was thinking along the lines of MO-JO when I watched the tape on this guy....I like what I saw but agree on the idea of getting a big powerful RB....I'm still bummed we didn't draft Blount in round 6-7 last year....I thought he'd be the perfect guy to have....sure he was an attitude problem but that's what excited me about him & before all that went down he was considered a late 1st/early 2nd round talent.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

Ingram has arthritis in his knee...but the Pats should take him in teh 2nd round anyways http://www.60maxpowero.com/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS + THIS RB = TD MACHINE : Todman was nto a pass chatching RB - so his hands are still questonable - but he was nto a big fumbler if that is what you meant.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

He still caught 21 passes in '09 and 19 in '10.  Type of O, Brown also never had more than 21 catches in his Uconn days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Too small. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

That's quite the accolade. Is Mikel Leshore the rich man's Jim Brown ? Listen  I like running backs as much as anyone, but I try to refrain from accolades that prodigious until the publicis given adequete proof over time. The key question for  me is how is available and what round. O Line address. Barry was great, however, the perpetual argument is would Barry have stayed with Emmit's line.

MB, already gave us a good look at speed guys. GoaL LIne players ? Are we discussing FBs as receivers or lead blockers or RBs that are more like Dexter McCluster.

My caveat is always that MB, faucet, and LOw IQ generally watch more film than most.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I like Hunter a lot too. Watch the highlights in the video below. I love his open field moves and the way he can move a pile. He's certainly a strong back. Very impressive IMO. 

To those talking about the size of RB's. Depends on what you want or need. You can have a big bruiser who can also protect your QB. You can have a Kevin Faulk type 3rd down back that is also a great receiver out of the backfield. The question regarding the Patriots needs is what type of RB do they need? 

Hunter is a 2 down guy. Your RB"s wear down fast so, keep the carries spread out. The RBBC thing is now what it should be with Hunter. Put BJGE and Danny back there on those 3rd and under 3 yards. Sammy Morris is still good for another year too. 

Don't under estimate the value of a smaller back. The giants battling on the line have a hard time picking them up and following them. Something BB seems to like. Hey, I love big bruising backs too. John Riggins? I get goosebumps watching the videos of him on YouTube. 

Having said all that, I would still jump for joy if the Patriots picked LeShoure (especially in the 2nd round). Love the way he runs low. 

We've got Woodhead but, we've got to keep him fresh. He's got big shoes to fill in Faulk's but, he showed what he's capable of. 

Just one more piece needed for the RB puzzle....... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I give him a pretty good yes.  He's another Woodhead.  Now, what's wrong with Woodhead, other than he's small and will get worn down far more easily than, say, Jerome Bettus?

BB needs two Woodheads if he wants to have at least one of the two healthy for 14 games out of 16.  BB also needs a couple of other types of backs -- pounders or slashers -- to throw defenses off-balance and to exploit any particular defense's weakest area on any given Sunday.

Hunter is too slow for home runs, but BB doesn't win with sudden touchdowns.  He wins with grinding 20 play drives.  This guy looks to be just a bit tougher than Woodhead, and comes with all the explosion.  He catches passes?  Check.  He's small and hard for the defense to find so he gains 2/10 second on their reaction times?  Check. 

Two questions remain:  is he football smart?  Does he fumble?