PATS TO MAKE LONDON A REGULAR GIG?
posted at 10/26/2009 1:36 PM EDT
NFL Commish Roger Goodell hinted that in the future , having the same team play one game a year across the puddle might be a good way for the British to embrace the game by having a rootin' interest in a particular team .
What better choice than the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ? !
It could become an NFL tradition ~ like the Lions / Cowboys Turkey Day games .
I understand on the surface it seems like a yearly hardship for the Pats ~ with all the special prep and routine disruptions accompanying the long journey .
However , I believe the benefits would ultimately overcome the detrimental elements.
1) The Pats opponent would be less used to the uniqueness of the game .
2) The Pats are an East coast team -so there's the probability that in certain years - their opponent would be making an even longer journey .
3) The Pats would alternate the home / away status - So they wouldn't be forced to sacrifice a home game every season - but would have the added benefit of still enjoying a "home " crowd.
4) The Pats are typically built to play in the elements - and the weather in London is very similar to New England's ... though usually wetter .
( case in pt...had the TB game been played where it was suppose to have been - It would have been mid 80's and humid )
5) The comraderie that will be built by teamates would be priceless .
There would also be the added benefit of having Europe's hidden NFL talent become Pats fans at an early age ... and who knows what type of free agent pool might some day be added from Europe ?
( Pats drafted Germany's Sabastian Volmer and so far - he's played well at Left Tackle for the inj'd Matt Light )
" YO KRAFT ... LISTEN UP YOU SELF PROFESSED ANGLIOPHILE , WHITE COLLAR'D WEARING BASS - TARD :
GET THE PATS THAT PERMANENT LONDON GIG ASAP ! "
ps - Don't worry season ticket holders ... Pats could offset the "lost home game " with a discounted overseas package for those wanting to travel abroad ( or maybe even offer it up for other away games ...Miami ? )