Pats to receive even more draft picks this week!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I'm still not clear on Stallworth. I've heard people argue that we will get compensation, and other swear that he's not eligible for a comp pick. Anyone want to clear it up for me?

And how in the world are we going to sign all these picks? I think we ought to keep all in the first three rounds, but trade some of our latter picks for future picks next year. Otherwise we could have as many as eleven picks in the draft, not to mention the undrafted FAs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

3rd rounder for Asante 5th or 6th for Gay. 6 Day one picks (back in the day of three rounds on day one) in top 100. Belichick will be able to trade up down or out (2010) given the quality and quantity of picks he has in 2009,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Because of all the free agents who walked away last year, particularly a starting cornerback but others too, the Patriots are about first in line to get compensatory picks. I've learned not to get my hopes up. An extra fourth rounder? An extra third rounder? What's Asante worth to the NFL?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

[Quote]I'm still not clear on Stallworth. I've heard people argue that we will get compensation, and other swear that he's not eligible for a comp pick. Anyone want to clear it up for me?

And how in the world are we going to sign all these picks? I think we ought to keep all in the first three rounds, but trade some of our latter picks for future picks next year. Otherwise we could have as many as eleven picks in the draft, not to mention the undrafted FAs.[/Quote]

Good questions
    I have thought about the pick situation myself. Maybe keeping some of the late round guy's around helps free up money for FA's and contract ext. for the player you want. Everyone can't make top dollar. As for say 2nd/3rd round guy's $$$ vs. 6th/7th or UFA $$ I'm not sure if keeping more of them will make that much of a difference. My guess is it would some.

Anyone know about how much?

You would think that you should be able to build better depth with 3rd round talent vs. a UFA. But Guyton was the one on the field last year. So who knows?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Am I wrong that compensatory picks cannot be traded? Or is this an MLB rule I'm getting confused with? The Pats will have lots of picks, so I'd guess lots of wheeling & dealing this year either to move up or move out until next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I thought Stallworth was released outright.

There isn't any compensation for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This why I'm not a general manager.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

[Quote]I thought Stallworth was released outright.

There isn't any compensation for that.[/Quote]

The Patriots did not pick up his option. If you remember correctly, he signed a multi-year contract with the Pats before coming here in '07, but it was only a multi-year contract if they picked up his option at the end of his first season, which they obviously didn't do. Thus, he was signed away from the Pats when the Pats did not match the Browns' offer, resulting in compesnation this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Can you say "Garrett Mills"?

The Pats will be wheelin' and dealin' on draft day and they'll probably end up drafting 6 or 7 players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

[Quote]And how in the world are we going to sign all these picks? I think we ought to keep all in the first three rounds, but trade some of our latter picks for future picks next year. Otherwise we could have as many as eleven picks in the draft, not to mention the undrafted FAs.[/Quote]

If it's a sixth or seventh rounder, draft a long-term project. On cut-down day nobody else in the NFL will want a brand new project on their active roster, and the guy will slip to the Patriots practice squad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Correct, comp picks cannot be traded.