Pats trade Brady for 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Pats trade Brady for 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks

brett favre! Montana!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It's funny how tempting gambling is to most of us.  Given a choice between anything and what's behind door number one we are all tempted to take what's behind the door. 

To choose between a HOF QB and 3 draft possibilities we can imagine 3 draftees of HOF quality who can carry a team for years.  The reality is the last 3 1st rounders the Pats picked (pre 2010) are Mayo, Meriweather and Maroney, and it's likely the next three will be just about as good.  That's not guaranteeing any SB's.

What 3 active players would you choose to trade for Brady?  Andre Johnson, Patrick Willis, and Demarcus Ware would be great, but I don't think the Pats win a SB without a great QB.  So why trade a why a once in a lifetime lucky pick like Brady for chance at a top 32 college player.  Makes no sense for either side.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Pats trade Brady for 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks:
    No one player is worth 3 first round picks. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

That would be a bargain for a true franchise QB in his prime.  Are you telling me you wouldn't give up three picks for a young Joe Montana, John Elway, Manning or Brady or someone of that caliber?  All day long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Even if the Pats did entertain the possibility of trading Brady (which they won't; he will be re-signed, so everyone just relax).....there is no way some modern day GM is going to want to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Lynn, the Minnesota GM who wrecked his team's future and traded Jimmy Johnson a dynasty for Herschel Walker in 1989.

GMs, for the most part, are much smarter than that now.

Three first round picks will never happen.

I could see them getting two first rounders, maybe (remember that Brady's age plays into this as well), and a third, and then perhaps a conditional 2nd rounder/3rd rounder based on incentives. The draft picks would be spread out over three years, too, so that the team acquiring Brady wouldn't have any one particular draft completely wiped out. 

But the memory of Mike Lynn hovers over the entire NFL when deals like this are being discussed.....nobody wants to be remembered as "that guy who handed Team X a dynasty."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Pats trade Brady for 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks:
    Even if the Pats did entertain the possibility of trading Brady (which they won't; he will be re-signed, so everyone just relax).....there is no way some modern day GM is going to want to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Lynn, the Minnesota GM who wrecked his team's future and traded Jimmy Johnson a dynasty for Herschel Walker in 1989...Posted by hardright

For a running back, never, unless Polian rewrites the rules again after Manning is retired.  I wouldn't trade even one 1st rounder for a RB, no way.  But for a young franchise QB, it's really a no-brainer.  You can't win without a top flight QB, unless you have a historically great defense and a great running game like the Ravens in 2000.  And with the new rules, I'm not convinced we'll ever see that again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

and it will be a long time before we contend for anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Even if they could trade Brady and get all that in return they would have to pay all of those high draft picks and its probably just cheaper and more conservative to pay Brady.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

Reality rears its ugly face!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

No one player is worth 3 first round picks. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Oh really?  Tell that to the Vikings and Favre.  Or the C's and Garnett.  That one player can transform the entire team.  It all depends on what is more important:  the future, or immediate success?

A QB can literally turn a team from doormat to SB champ., ala Kurt Warner, if some pieces are already in place to allow him to succeed.  As a 49er fan, I'd give my left arm for Brady and gladly accept my team giving away 3 first round picks for him.

In the last 5 yrs. Niners have picked Chilo Rachael, Alex Smith, and Joe Staley in the first round.  Now, ask yourself, would you trade those 3 players for Brady if you could get him for a good 3 or 4 productive years?

I think you would.