Pats trade for LB Burgess

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Pats trade for LB Burgess

Patriots traded a 7th round pick for Ravens LB Prescott Burgess. A player that barely is even on the depth chart for the Ravens. Looks more like an informant type deal than a roster addition. Burgess has been with Rex Ryan's Ravens for 2 years, learning the defensive strategy of how to blitz. With Ryan now with the Jets, it could help the Patriots learn a few tidbits about Burgess's previous coach. Patriots play the Ravens in two weeks. Which could help them earn an edge for Ravens and even the Jets.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Re: Pats trade for LB Burgess

A week to late to learn the Jest/Ryan defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I doubt this has anything to do with scouting. You do that kind of thing with free agents you dont trade a draft pick for scouting you do it for depth reasons. Mayo is out and we needed a 3-4 LBer and we went out and got one. I assume Bill likes this kid and lets hope it works out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

not really considering they got the Ravens in week 4. Then the Jets again in week 11. Along with the possibility of facing both teams in the playoffs. Possible 4 games to be considerate of. BB doesnt like to focus on the past but more on the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

alright we got burgess!wait a minute we have derrick.who is pressscott?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I see your point, just wish the Pats did this earlier to try gain an edge, like fatso ryan did with O'Connell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

People keep bringing up O Connel as if we dont do the exact same thing! BB takes players from Div teams all the time to pick their brains so why is such a big deal that the Jets did it? who cares.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

you people really think BB is dumb enough to trade a draft pick for a guy to give information for one game to a team out of the division. I am glad you don't run my corporation I work for. Burgess will fill in on special teams and lb depth. All this means is Mayo is out for a long time and they don't want  Derek Brooks...............Woods , Crable , Burgess........they all played together at my alum............U Of M !!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats are thin at LB is all. Bill could care less about Rayan's D. He's going to face the Ravens and use that match as a tune up for the Jets rematch. The most important thing for the Pats now is the Falcons. It's going to be a true test of both their offensive and defensive abilities. 

Offense needs to get in sync, the Falcons have an OK defense. Their Pass rush is no better than ours. Brady should use this game as a warm-up for the Ravens. 

Defense has to prove that they are a 16.5 defensive unit. The Falcons have a really good offense. Wilhite will face a good match-up in Roddy White, Guyton will face the incomparable Tony Gonzalez, and Adalius will be forced to take on fire in the Burner, Turner. The DL has to knock Ryan around like they did to Sanchez in the first quarter against the Jets. The Falcon's OL isn't as good as the Jets' OL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

Considering the Patriots linebacking corp is decimated, I don't agree

with your premise.  The Patriots needed warm bodies so they can play

the 3-4 once in a while.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: Pats trade a 7th for Ravens linebacker

posted at 9/22/2009 5:22 PM EDT
    First: 8/5/2009
    Last: 9/22/2009

They probably could of found someone of equal value wearing a paper hat and flipping burgers. 

How about we trade a 2011 1st for Peppers and spend some of that $eymour money that went into Kraft's bank account.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I think the patriots need to trade a few of their draft picks for a veteran. They need experience and quality over guys that will be good 2 years from now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Pats trade for LB Burgess:
    [QUOTE]alright we got burgess!wait a minute we have derrick.who is pressscott?
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    Bill traded for Prescott to be his butler...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Burgess is not a spy situation. Belichick understands ryans scheme. 
    The pats need a lb and the Ravens manufacture them. Maybe he gives the pats a tiny bit, but he was added for depth

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Hes obviously added for depth - no point of releasing a current patriot to make room for a guy thats invaluable only in preparation of the Jets and Ravens. He brings more to the table than helping in special teams and Im sure hes an upgrade over Eric Alexander.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

likes Michaigan LB's (Woods and Crable).  This guy was a converted high school safety who once he learned how to play recorded 81 tackles as a Jr. in 2005.  Senior season not as productive.  More of a football player than a stat/workout warrior type.   Lacks closing speed ....so he is the opposite of Gary Guyton. 

I'm sure they got him to help with special teams.

Makes me wonder how these deals occur.  If the shoe was on the other foot and someone called us about BJ Green-Ellis (who is technically our 5th RB) would we trade him?  Right now at least?  So I guess that Baltimore must have plethora of LB's. Plus they signed a TE after they traded him to us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]you people really think BB is dumb enough to trade a draft pick for a guy to give information for one game to a team out of the division. I am glad you don't run my corporation I work for. Burgess will fill in on special teams and lb depth. All this means is Mayo is out for a long time and they don't want  Derek Brooks...............Woods , Crable , Burgess........they all played together at my alum............U Of M !!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Gee I wish I was as smart as you. Of course BB wants another Lber in the rotation and for STs'. Using Burgess as a spy is an extra benefit.
    Oh didn't your mighty school lose to Appalachian State last year....great program you got going there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from northriver1. Show northriver1's posts

My guess is that Baltimore was going to release him to pick up another TE and threw his name out there to see if anyone would bite for a late round pick. Seeing as the Pats were thin at LB, they probably thought he would be better than anyone they could get in the 7th round and took a flyer on him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE] likes Michaigan LB's (Woods and Crable).  This guy was a converted high school safety who once he learned how to play recorded 81 tackles as a Jr. in 2005.  Senior season not as productive.  More of a football player than a stat/workout warrior type.   Lacks closing speed ....so he is the opposite of Gary Guyton.  I'm sure they got him to help with special teams. Makes me wonder how these deals occur.  If the shoe was on the other foot and someone called us about BJ Green-Ellis (who is technically our 5th RB) would we trade him?  Right now at least?  So I guess that Baltimore must have plethora of LB's. Plus they signed a TE after they traded him to us.
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Answered my own post.

From Ravens Insider:

Possible reason for Burgess trade

Here’s an interesting side note I'm hearing on why the Ravens decided to trade linebacker Prescott Burgess to New England for a seventh-round pick.

The Ravens were going to cut Burgess, but it is believed that the Cleveland Browns (whose general manager is ex-Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis) would claim him on waivers.

To avoid any information going with Burgess to Sunday’s opponent, the Ravens shopped the solid special teams player around. Knowing Burgess wouldn’t get to them on waivers, the Patriots offered a conditional seventh-round pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats trade for LB Burgess : Gee I wish I was as smart as you. Of course BB wants another Lber in the rotation and for STs'. Using Burgess as a spy is an extra benefit. Oh didn't your mighty school lose to Appalachian State last year....great program you got going there.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

where did you go to school??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats trade for LB Burgess : Gee I wish I was as smart as you. Of course BB wants another Lber in the rotation and for STs'. Using Burgess as a spy is an extra benefit. Oh didn't your mighty school lose to Appalachian State last year....great program you got going there.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

We have one of the greatest schools enriched with college football tradition and.....one word says it all........BO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]alright we got burgess!wait a minute we have derrick.who is pressscott?
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    Prescott is BB's future butler.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dplaye. Show dplaye's posts

I think Prescott Burgess could be a good pickup for the Patriots. I have liked a lot of Michigan linebackers in the past and this is one of them. Woods (Patriots) , Crable (Patriots), Woodley( Steelers) and Harris(Jets) are I believe  all former teammates that are in the NFL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]I think Prescott Burgess could be a good pickup for the Patriots. I have liked a lot of Michigan linebackers in the past and this is one of them. Woods (Patriots) , Crable (Patriots), Woodley( Steelers) and Harris(Jets) are I believe  all former teammates that are in the NFL.
    Posted by dplaye[/QUOTE]

Harris and Crable are a cut above.  Unfortunately, we can't get Crable on the field.   Woods was good at Michaigan but as he matriculated though his college career (03-05) was passed in productivity by Burgess and Harris.  Crable (04 -07)was a year behind Burgess and Harris (both 03-06) but his numbers far surpassed them in later years. In 2005, when they all played together, Crable  - So. Burgess and Harris - Jr's and Woods -Sr.  Woods played in every game but his numbers were way down so I guess he was passed on the depth chart.  In 2006. Harris' number climbed again, but Burgess', although being the teams 2nd leading tackler. went down whereas Crable's went up.  In 2007 Crable was a stud on D for Michigan recording 28 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.   

All in all a football factory and a tough lineup to crack. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

When I first seen this I thought the Patriots traded Derrick I was like "noooooo wtf is Bill doing?!?!?!"