Pats will NOT over pay for Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker

I believe Welker will be VERY well paid by the Pats when it comes time.  How many of you think he will succeed elsewhere if he bolts only for the money?  Name a Pat who has?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Love Wes, but like ALL ex-Pats receivers, he'd be far less effective with another team. I hope the Pats extend a fair offer, he accepts, wins titles, and retires as a Pat.Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I don't think he will be asked to be overpaid. He wants to play with Brady and in me. He will want to be paid well, but I doubt he will seek to break the bank IMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

iPad autocorrect sucks...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people thought Deion Branch would not leave (part 1). A lot of people thought David Givens would not leave. The Pats need to make a strong offer to WW.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

I would like to think the Pats learned their lesson on that one. They had a 2nd round pick they thought was promising(Chad Jackson), and both of those guys wanted pretty big money. The decision to let them both go is a big part of why there are only 3 World Champion banners in Gillette instead of 4. Welker is by far the best WR they have, it's quite clear that Ocho is not much an insurance policy, and Edelman can't stay healthy....they will get this done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : "Strictly for the sake of discussion" I was hoping you'd bite man.... I'm phukin bored at work right now.  While you are absoluetly correct that he didn't have to sign the tender, he was still under the teams rights regardless.  So in theory he was under the teams control as it was a sort of transition tag that would allow another team to sign him for a first rounder and a thrid rounder if the Pats wanted to deal.  So min theory he was techincally 'pushed' to sign that tender to accure his 6 year to be eligigible for FA that following year, which he did do by signing the tender 10 weeks into the seaosn.  This way he got paid and finisahed out the final year of that admittingly BS tendered contract to be a FA. Hope that made sense?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]
    Being under a team's control is not being under contract.  The Pats could not have traded him unless he signed his tender first.

It was not a holdout because Mankins could NOT report to the team without signing the tender.  He didn't choose not to report; he chose not to sign.  That is the difference.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

Welker enjoys the game.  he won't enjoy it anywhere else.  Im sorry he will accept the first contract offered. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]iPad autocorrect sucks...
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]
      LMAO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : Being under a team's control is not being under contract.  The Pats could not have traded him unless he signed his tender first. It was not a holdout because Mankins could NOT report to the team without signing the tender.  He didn't choose not to report; he chose not to sign.  That is the difference.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]
      I cant help myself! Not that it matters, but the man held out!!!! It was up to HIM if he showed up or not. Thats called holding out. It doesn't matter if he had to sign anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I hope Welker and his agent are realistic about his situation.  He's a very good receiver who has had the benefit of playing in a sytem that fits him to a T.  Oh yeah, he also has one of the best QBs in football throwing to him. 

I think Kraft went on record to basically tell him in so many words that he's willing to give Welker a good payday, but the contract will not enter the realm of stupid money.  The fact that Kraft commented is a good sign,  and I think Welker is a smart guy who realizes that the grass is not always greener.  He can look no futher than Deion Branch to see that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Welker enjoys the game.  he won't enjoy it anywhere else.  Im sorry he will accept the first contract offered. 
    Posted by ssmilloy36[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet that Welker has had more than one offer by now from the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

One of the stronger points of our organization is knowing what to pay people regarding how they address team needs. They will factor in the Brady effect and Welker's age into the equation. Welker will likely be offered good but not top money over a relatively short term, and he will likely take it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No need to over pay, Just pay him what he's worth.....a lot

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

He may not be as effective with another QB, but this offense, including Brady, will also be less effective without him.  Deion Branch  didn't do much in Seattle, but once he came back here, it was like he never left.  I don't claim to be an expert, but based on appearances, it's not easy to find receivers who "get" this system.   Galloway and now Ocho have really struggled with this offense. 

If they let Welker walk, they better have a backup plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]One of the stronger points of our organization is knowing what to pay people regarding how they address team needs. They will factor in the Brady effect and Welker's age into the equation. Welker will likely be offered good but not top money over a relatively short term, and he will likely take it.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. The thing that's tricky is his age - he's thirty - it's not really considered old for a wideout, but it's not young either (especially when you have a torn acl on your resume). I love the guy and would love to see him end his career here (catch another 300 or 400 balls). The offense goes through him and I wonder how it would be without him, because honestly I think the receiver position is really thin and lacking youth and talent...not good when you're a passing team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : Yeah I agree. The thing that's tricky is his age - he's thirty - it's not really considered old for a wideout, but it's not young either (especially when you have a torn acl on your resume). I love the guy and would love to see him end his career here (catch another 300 or 400 balls). The offense goes through him and I wonder how it would be without him, because honestly I think the receiver position is really thin and lacking youth and talent...not good when you're a passing team.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Interestingly, Brady didn't really become a gaudy numbers guy until Welker came along. Having that sure-fire target almost always there when all else fails might be a significant factor in that. So the question of exactly who helps the other more could be debatable.

But the Pats will likely look at the cost over 5 years verses what they can expect from a little guy at age 34-35.  A 5 year contract back loaded to make the numbers look better and with a good guaranteed sum will probably get it done. Then if Welker becomes a shadow of his former self in a couple of years they can excercise financial damage control.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : Being under a team's control is not being under contract.  The Pats could not have traded him unless he signed his tender first. It was not a holdout because Mankins could NOT report to the team without signing the tender.  He didn't choose not to report; he chose not to sign.  That is the difference.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

If you read jerh5's post, that would be my exact response to this post.

Again it depends on your perspective on the situation.... when I look past these technicalities the bottom line is he can only play for one team in this situation, so in theory he is holding out on the Pats.  If you wanna get tick tacky with it then your response is fine, but at the end of the day he held out from singing a contract to play for the only team he could play for as it was the Pats say.

You can put your own spin on it, but he denied the contract the Pats offered and he was not allowed to play for another team... that's holding out to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

It will be a sad day when Wes leaves, but I dont think he is gonna retire here. They may get awy with giving him a 3 year ext. but he is playing longer than 3 years.....may slow down, but he's got atleast another 5 in em, and another team desperate to get a young qb a binkie would give him a nice 5 year deal worth like 60 million with 18-20 garaunteed.

If we can keep him, im excited, but other guys gotta get paid too. Tight ends are on the rise now.  How we gonna pay Gronk and Hernandez in a few years if you sign wes long term??  You arent gonna be able to.

Either Wes takes a big paycut or he is gone. I'll tell you one thing , he has been amazing and a blanket for Brady but he isnt the difference between winning or losing a SB, IMO.... Its still coaching that wins Superbowls...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : UM, Mankins WAS underpaid from his rookie deal, what are you talking about? He didn't need leverage, he is probably the best guard in the game. Actually Mankins might be the best offensive linemen in the game today, when we run, we run behind Mankins... I don't know why you always feel the need to justify your over the top anti Mankins statements. The guy is amazing and we are lucky to have him protecting Brady.  I applaud the guy for NEVER holding out. His contract was up and he fell into an unfortunate situation in 2010. I don't blame him or V-Jackson for not playing when they were due a contract. It is bad business to risk you assets with no guarantee. That is what we asked Mankins to do after he fulfilled a 6 year contract where he was VASTLY underpaid. I like what you have to say about this team and we agree on a lot of subjects, but have you ever admitted when you were wrong about something? Let it die dude.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

The King isn't anti-Mankins, he's just a capitalist apologist who is basically using football to illumine his economic theories about worker pay scales and remuneration rates for management and owners.  Not sure why, since this really supposed to be football fan board, not Adam Smith 101.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Kraft's whole point in commenting publicly was basically to say that they value their players, but they're building a roster not placating egos or setting the bar for contracts.  I happen to like Kraft's philosophy, even though it has led to the departure of guys like Samuel, Seymour, Branch, Givens, Law, Milloy, etc. 

The Krafts will pay you top echelon money if you're in your prime.  Highest Paid?  Dubious.  Look at Brady's situation, he's undoubtedly left $ on the table but the roster around him has been pretty solid his whole time here.

If BB thinks you're able to be replaced, you leave.  Are they always right?  Of course not.  But it takes financial discipline and sticking to some type of roster building philosophy to have continued success.  It's hard to argue with the results, but there are times when I think this team was a player or two away from greater success and it's painful to watch them miss in the draft trying to replace guys they let go (Samuel, Ty Law). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]I think Welker realizes it's the perfect fit for him here, loves playing with Brady, and knows he has a shot to catch 100+ balls every year. I would say 8mil per year for 4 years for him, or maybe a more front loaded deal, kind of like Brady's last one, that pays most of the money right away.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. Wes knows what side his bread is buttered. He loves being a Patriot and playing with TB. I'm sure that Mr. Kraft will definately pay him a good amount of money to have him here long term.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

As long as Brady is here doesn't it make sense to keep Wes around? Some folks think he's the best clutch receiver in the game and when you see how long it's taken to get OchoCinco on the same page, it's clear that slotting in any top receiver doesn't automatically give you the same results. Welker has been one of the lowest paid receivers in the game (per SI) and the Patriots need to keep that in mind as well. Pay him as one of the top receivers cause that's what he deserves!