Pats would be unstoppable..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Pats would be unstoppable..

With a solid defense. This offense is a machine..bottom line. The defense is still a worry for me. Didn't look much different to me from last year. Still giving up too much yardage. Hopefully that we'll change. If it does, watch out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

Re: Pats would be unstoppable..

86, i understand your point, however, give me the win.  Thats is the only stat I am worried about.  A wise man once said STATS ARE FOR LOSERS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Thing is, and this applies to both O and the D, it is only going to get better from here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Only one game, but definitely a good omen.  O'Brien has to keep it fresh so other defenses don't lock in on what Brady is doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

Lets not get carried away because we put up those numbers against a bad Miami team, I love the pats but they will not be able to do that against the good teams in this league unless we can run the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I liked the amount of play action they ran last night, they need to keep that going. I think Brady is one of the best at selling the run, why not take advantage of it more often?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: Pats would be unstoppable..:
    [QUOTE]Lets not get carried away because we put up those numbers against a bad Miami team, I love the pats but they will not be able to do that against the good teams in this league unless we can run the ball.
    Posted by vegasredsox[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the running game?  Both Woodhead and BJGE avg'd 5 YPC last night.... which is what set up the passing game....

...and Miami's defense is not bad...  better than most.

... and we haven't seen Ridley or Vereen yet.... the running game only gets better....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Yes O Brian can keep it fresh, O Brian who just a few months ago according to Pats fans cant coach and does not know how to call a game. I like the guy im just saying according to my fellow Pats fans he does not know how to coach. Looked pretty good to me last night. Pats defense was very good on 3rd down conversions which is a HUGE improvement for that defense. Dont just look at the passing yards, the Phins played from behind all night so the passing yards should be big for them.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Killa,
    I've been one to dump on O'Brien in the past. We only have to go as far as last year's playoff game to see. It's not that he doesn't know how to coach, or even scheme, it stems from his inability to make in game adjustments. When the Jets were crowding the middle of the field and dropping so many back, why didn't we run more?..why didn't we adjust? That is the point.

I will say, last night gameplanning and execution was off the charts. I really liked the way they mixed it up, and the pace in which they executed. Brady looked like surgical instrument, turning dolphin into sushi. Don't forget, that D was a top rated D last year as well, and they added a few good parts.

I want to see how O'Brien adjusts in game when a D starts to stifle what we are doing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Folks - it was the miami freakin dolphins on defense.   See how they do against the jets, ravens, steelers, then you can talk.

The Defense should be better, didn't look like it, last night.  The talent is better this year except safeties of course.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Defense will take a while to jell.  they only had a few weeks to get into shape and develop their gameplan.  Many have not played or practiced together.   I would expect that as the season progresses the defense will get much better.  They have all the pieces, they just need to put the puzzle together.  I do not expect a repeat of the playoffs of last year.  Brady is too smart to make the same mistake again.  I expect that the running game will get better as the teams try to take away the passing game.  Ripley and Vereen will get going later in the season when the cold weather sets in.  Ras I did not look bad last night.  The secondary is a work in progress now.  I expect that by midseason, most of the moving parts will be in place and the team will develop into a superbowl favorite.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Nothing but trolls. The D was clearly very impressive last night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I was very encouraged by the D last night, all things considered.

Figure:

Half the starting D has been changed, with a very short time of playing/practicing together for them to fully adjust to all the changes.

Last year, they often looked gassed.   Last night, they never again looked gassed after the poor, first drive. 

They got lots of pressure, hits, hurries and sacks in their first game.  They really created that pressure last year and when they did, it was much later in the season.  They will get better.

The new guys played well. McCourty had a challenging night, facing a big mismatch, and yet even he still made a lot of fine plays. Nobody stunk, as was always the case with at least one defender for the past six years. 

You have to give Miami credit for greatly improving their O this year.  Henne was making a lot of pinpoint passes quickly, into tight coverage. If he gets off the throw within two or three seconds to guys being blanketed and still completes the pass, it not that the D failed but that the O succeeded. I think Miami's O is going to give teams a fit this year if they keep playing like that.

The DBs are going to get a lot better from this game.

All in all, I think within a few weeks we will marvelling at how dynamic this D will be looking.  I think they have the potential to match 2003 and 2004, maybe better.  I have not had this level of confidence in a Pats' D since 2004.

P.S. - Did not miss B.M. at all.  Enjoy Chicago.  It's a nice town...until they cut you.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Benakarkis, 

Miami has a damn good D.  They have had one for a long time.  It's their passing game and S/Ts that has made the team lose.  Looks like thier O is greatly improved, smartly giving up on that gimmicky w and limited wildcat and overreliance on the running game.  Henne turned a page.

I think the Steelers' D has more to worry about than the Pats' O.  

As for the Jets and Ravens, we'll see. Jets did not look like the best D of the AFC Sunday, by any means.  If they had a smarter QB in Dallas - heck, Drew Bledsoe - the Jets would be 0-1 because of their D in that game.  Romo handed them the win in the fourth. (He needs to be relegated to what he really is - a back-up.  He will never get it).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

In Response to Pats would be unstoppable..:
    [QUOTE]With a solid defense. This offense is a machine..bottom line. The defense is still a worry for me. Didn't look much different to me from last year. Still giving up too much yardage. Hopefully that we'll change. If it does, watch out!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

Last year the first couple weeks the defense didn't look so good, but as the season went on the team played better and this year they will jell and play better just like last year, the more they play together the better they will get. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from june2010. Show june2010's posts

[QUOTE]Benakarkis,  Miami has a damn good D.  They have had one for a long time.  It's their passing game and S/Ts that has made the team lose.  Looks like thier O is greatly improved, smartly giving up on that gimmicky w and limited wildcat and overreliance on the running game.  Henne turned a page. I think the Steelers' D has more to worry about than the Pats' O.   As for the Jets and Ravens, we'll see. Jets did not look like the best D of the AFC Sunday, by any means.  If they had a smarter QB in Dallas - heck, Drew Bledsoe - the Jets would be 0-1 because of their D in that game.  Romo handed them the win in the fourth. (He needs to be relegated to what he really is - a back-up.  He will never get it).
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

You need to be a bit worry, 416 yards to Henne. As Bruschi said, stop TFB, and the Pats have no other playmakers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

How can anybody complain, first game of the season. Things can only get better, especially on the D. Nobody is better than BB diagnosing a problem.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Are all of you guys saying that just because Henne threw for 400 yards the D stunk? BB game plans and at the end of 3 quarters it was all Patriots and they held the fins two times inside the redzone twice for a total of 3 points! Terrible D? If and of course I realize "if" is a big word, if the refs had called every hold on Incognito that he committed against Haynesworth and Fork the fins might never have scored and yardage isn't how you measure a teams Defense final score tells the story.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This D is encouraging: a rookie DB played well (Dowling) we evidently have some semblance of a pass rush (sacks) and we played good situational football (3rd and 4th down conversions). This D, to me, is still two weeks away from getting away from pre-season mode. The D will get better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]With a solid defense. This offense is a machine..bottom line. The defense is still a worry for me. Didn't look much different to me from last year. Still giving up too much yardage. Hopefully that we'll change. If it does, watch out!

Just the first game. Offense gave up a short field on the the Brady INT.

Defense looked good on many occasions. I think they were conditioned better than Miami's defense, but they were getting gassed too because of the heat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I was disappointed in the d last night to the extent that with all the new additions to the line they would be able to generate pressure on the qb with only the front four. That being said however they occupied the o line enough to make the blitzers very effective(when they finally started blitzing), whether it was pressure from them directly or occupying the oline enough to make the big uglies get pressure from the interior because they weren't being double-teamed.  The d may not be a steel curtain but I think they'll be stout enough to ensure a deep run into the playoffs this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

It was the first game but I do see what you are saying. I want to see a defense that can step up when the high powered offense falters. Nothing last night indicates that this defense could step up and win the game if Brady has an off day during the playoffs like the last few years. Unlike the great defense with players like Bruschi,Vrabel,Harrison,Mcginiest,Law,Ted Johnson where someone would always make a key play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

The Fins were way lucky to be down only 7 at the half.  Thatt fluky lucky weird line of scrimmage bounce interception (one of the few mental mistakes by Tom Money all night) was the only thing that kept this from being a 3rd quarter blowout.

I was looking for pressure from the D; the pressure was decent.  Haynesworth looked good.   Ras I also was impressive for a rookie playing in his first NFL game, with limited training camp (which I was not expecting),

The Pats defense was excellent good in the 4th Q on the goal line (any team that tries to run up the gut against this D will have earn every freakin' inch). 

Many of the Fins' yards were completely meaningless garbage time slop.  Up to the Welker exclamation point, I think it's fair to say that the game was a "close blowout."  The D gave up 17 points.

Bottom line, I am not concerned about the D, at least based on this game.  And Henne is way better than Sanchize.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I liked the amount of play action they ran last night, they need to keep that going. I think Brady is one of the best at selling the run, why not take advantage of it more often?
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

the good teams will not even bite at that play action. why would anybody have to, really? pats have not demonstrated ability or determination to run the ball. they're not going to cause as much damage that way, so why not focus defense on the pass even on rushing downs or even when they look like they're running the ball?