Peyton Manning doing something I like...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Peyton Manning doing something I like...

So I stumbled across this page today, Peyton Manning promoting a petition to get football into the Olympics.  As much as I dislike the guy, I would love to see american football in the Olympics on the global stage.  I like a lot of sports, but football is the only sport I really love and can be really passionate about.  I love the idea of rooting for team USA to defeat the Japanese or German teams for a gold medal.  Apparently the major hurdles for this happening are as follows:

In order for a new sport to be brought into the Olympics, another must be kicked out.

The sport must be recognized by the IOC.  The International Federation of American Football (IFAF) is working on this. 

It must be played on every continent, and by at least 75 countries.  Currently it is played on every continent except Africa, and in about 60 countries.

It must be both a men's and women's sport.  This could be the biggest hurdle.

Perhaps only a few countries would actually send teams to the Olympics with most of the action being determined in preliminary rounds.  Maybe only 6-8 teams are actually at the Olympics, which could be played out in 3 rounds within the 14 days of competition.  Maybe some rules about protecting players would be changed as well because x number of games in a short time will take a toll on your body.  Shorter quarters?  Clock keeps moving after incomplete outside of 2 mins in a half?  I don't think that competitiveness would be too bad after a few Olympic cycles.

Seriously, if competitive dancing and trampolining are events, why can't football be one as well?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Peyton Manning doing something I like...

Once again, Peyton Manning is doing something foolish. He can never win another SB so he wants to try for an Olympic Gold Medal. This is vastly unfair, the U.S. would have a super team, while other nations would play like a Powderpuff cheerleader game. 

U.S. QB depth chart. 

Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Peyton Manning

RB

Adrian Peterson
    Chris Johnson
    MJD

Germany's squad- 

Vollmer
    Kylie Vanden-bosch -- If he wants to represent his heritage, but I think he was born and raised in the states. 

If NFLEurope can get more Football interest in Europe, sure, but I think Football will have to change it's name. I know for a fact that a lot of people can't understand why Football is called Football in the states and Futbol is called Soccer. American Football only requires the use of the foot on 1 of the 4 downs, and only about 10% of the time. But, No, it's an unfair advantage. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

Guys that play in the World baseball competition get injured and knocked out for months to start the season. I think this is a horrible idea for football unless you want to throw Arena League Players in there. I definitely don't want any Patriot players playing in the Olympics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Peyton Manning doing something I like...:
      So I stumbled across this page  today, Peyton Manning promoting a petition to get football into the Olympics.  As much as I dislike the guy, I would love to see american football in the Olympics on the global stage.  I like a lot of sports, but football is the only sport I really love and can be really passionate about.  I love the idea of rooting for team USA to defeat the Japanese or German teams for a gold medal.  Apparently the major hurdles for this happening are as follows:   In order for a new sport to be brought into the Olympics, another must be kicked out.   The sport must be recognized by the IOC.  The International Federation of American Football (IFAF) is working on this.    It must be played on every continent, and by at least 75 countries.  Currently it is played on every continent except Africa, and in about 60 countries.   It must be both a men's and women's sport.  This could be the biggest hurdle.   Perhaps only a few countries would actually send teams to the Olympics with most of the action being determined in preliminary rounds.  Maybe only 6-8 teams are actually at the Olympics, which could be played out in 3 rounds within the 14 days of competition.  Maybe some rules about protecting players would be changed as well because x number of games in a short time will take a toll on your body.  Shorter quarters?  Clock keeps moving after incomplete outside of 2 mins in a half?  I don't think that competitiveness would be too bad after a few Olympic cycles.   Seriously, if competitive dancing and trampolining are events, why can't football be one as well?  
    Posted by flutie66

Nice idea, but American football is; for the most part;  only played in the United states. There wouldn't be much "world" competition - so, what's the point? Now, talk about the other Futbol - and you can see that the USA team can't compete w/ european and Latin teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is absurd.

The potential opposition would not be remotely competitive and I see no indication that American football is taking off around the world the way basketball did.

As I write this it occurs to me that the X-Games nonsense that became part of the Olympics overnight seems to defeat this argument, but it seems to me that the spread of a complex team sport that requires unique athletic ability is probably not equatable with a bunch of slacker kids doing tricks in the snow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is a joke.  Unless, we would use our high school kids to represent the USA. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Peyton Manning is a BAFOON and needs his head removed! This would get NFL Players hurt for no reason except for a Gold Medal and lets face it, would you give up 10 million a year for nothing? Manning is a fool, a moron and a bedwetter!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

It would be an annual gold medal for the USA.  At least Hungary would have Zoltan, and Germany, Vollmer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning doing something I like...:
    I just assumed you meant he was doing that calendar thing again.  You are all so sad with your Peyton hate.  It's quite pathetic.  Just because most of the country not living outside Boston considers him the best QB in the NFL is no reason.  TB is pretty good too (Just not as good as Peyton),  but Raven fans don't hate on TB.  You phags aren't real football fans, you just like to hate on the players that are better than your own, that is until BB signs them, then they are the best ever. 
    Posted by bjesuss

Nobody in Boston hates Peyton Manning, they just dont like him very much! But he is an idiot for sugggestig NFL Players put their bodies and their livelyhood on the line for a Stupid Gold Medal, oh wait they do that for a Stupid Trophy, and Gazillions of Dollars........Mannings still a BedWetter!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning doing something I like... : Nobody in Boston hates Peyton Manning, they just dont like him very much! But he is an idiot for sugggestig NFL Players put their bodies and their livelyhood on the line for a Stupid Gold Medal, oh wait they do that for a Stupid Trophy, and Gazillions of Dollars........Mannings still a BedWetter!
    Posted by JerrySpringer

I don't think he is suggesting that.  Just that it is recognized by the IOC.  It would be a great place for fringe players to go play. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I like when he throws interceptions in the Super bowl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

is this a joke? the funniest part is the claim that it is played in 60 countries. yeah! on playstation, xbox an wii. else, maybe the flag version!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

the world hates American football and everyone in America thinks everyone else will love it. Why must we try to push everything we do onto others? I say Peyton needs to go practice, he doesn't need another big stage to choke on. Olympic American Football is a horrible idea!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

is this a joke? the funniest part is the claim that it is played in 60 countries. yeah! on playstation, xbox an wii. else, maybe the flag version!
    Posted by seattlepat70

actually if you go to http://www.ifaf.info/ and look under the federations tab, you will see 4 different sub federations divided into geographic areas.  if you add up the countries in each of these, you should get 57 countries... so its not 60 but its alot more than people realize.  now of course, they cant compete at the same level, but bubble players and possible college graduates trying to prove themselves could play internationally and try to get noticed.  might be a great way to start a foreign pipeline to the nfl as well

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning doing something I like...:
    the world hates American football and everyone in America thinks everyone else will love it. Why must we try to push everything we do onto others? I say Peyton needs to go practice, he doesn't need another big stage to choke on. Olympic American Football is a horrible idea!!!
    Posted by freediro

this is an excellent point... how embarassing would it be to have peyton blow the huge game to a bunch of no names

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from iceman778. Show iceman778's posts

guys best of luck ..play well