Phil Simms should be fired

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

Re: Phil Simms should be fired

Here is what another fan had to say on another blog: 

Phil Simms had his story-lines written out ahead of time and they all revolved around the Jets, with Shonn Greene obnoxiously being mentioned no less than a thousand times. It was ridiculous. Near the end of the fourth quarter, when the Jets loss was assured, he said something like, ‘as I’ve been saying all along, the Patriots needed to have a more balanced offense and they ran the ball effectively today.’ We were all incredulous because he said nothing of the kind during the game.

I swear he realized way too late that at some point he had to say something positive about the Patriots instead of referencing every single play as either a positive for the Jets or as a negative for the Jets. It’s as if the Patriots themselves were inconsequential except as in how they related to Mark Sanchez and what it meant to the Jets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

Does anyone have any contact info where I can complain to CBS about Simms; they should know about his predisposition bias against the Pats.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Phil Simms should be fired:
    [QUOTE]Are you for real? Simms is a huge Pats fan and a good friend of Bill Belichick. This must be a joke.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Could be he's not wanting to show that, and overcompensates the other way, but I didn't notice much to be honest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

and by the way MVP Killa do your own study since you DVR'd the game; tabulate the total number of minutes Simms commented on the game where he mentions the Jets vs the Pats.  You will see ther bias big time.  And no, I don't mean any negatives towards you since you were at the game watching vs seeing it on TV, other than it makes your comments null and void, unless you heard his commentary.  Eevn so, do the study I suggested and see for yourself based on factual information !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who wants to watch a match where the announcer only says nice stuff about the Pats? It annoys me when they do that, nothing bugs me more than a Peyton Manning nuthugger. I'd hate to hear a Brady hugger, would make me hate the Pats a little. Gruden does that, I just started thinking that 'wicked' is terrible to him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think he was thinking the jests would win so he was hedgin his commentary...he was def. sweatin them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from juspat2. Show juspat2's posts

Dude, Phil has the best on-air comment about the pats of all time..

"The Patriots lead the league in....in, just making things happen..."

what? how the heck do you lead the league in a non-quantitative category?

but i agree Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Simms is fine.  Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are the worst announcers EVER!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Charlie and Merlin made games I was not interested in or cared who won interesting. Musberger made a preseason game like it was the super bowl that was annoying.

Phil is not bad and overall he was more pro Patriots than most when everyone else was throwing the patriots under the bus.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

I'm reading this and the guy that bugs me is Nantz......Ok, he does his homework I'll grant him that as evidenced by the red-zone interception at the end of the 2nd qtr....Still strikes me as an Eddie Haskell type and a long way from what he projects.....Not quite in the Musberger category yet but.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots9999. Show patriots9999's posts

In Response to Phil Simms should be fired:
    [QUOTE]I watch every Patriots game and I cringe every time Simms broadcasts a Pats game.  He very rarely has anything to say about the Pats and almost always talks abouth the other team.  He is so anti-Patriots he should be fired.  On one play in the third quarter, he was talking about Sanchez talking to his offense on the sidelines after the Pats had just stopped them on 3rd down, and in the midst of a great play by the Pats (I think it was an 8 yard gain by BLGE, with great blocking by our line) and he said nothing about the Patriots play.  In fact, he was commenting on the Jets, like he did most of the game !!  As a Pats fan, I'd appreciate it if this guy would at least keep it to 50/50 for both teams. I have posted this before (last year) and many said I was wrong and how much Simms loves Belicheck etc..  I am here to tell you that Simms is a waste product, he is anti Pats and he is so obviously pro anyone playing the Pats that he rarely, if ever, comments on the Patriots. Plus, he wasn't that great a quarterback either. Fire him now !!
    Posted by dbincpumpkin[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

You people are far too sensitive and/or insecure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]You people are far too sensitive and/or insecure. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    You've got to admit, good play by play announcers are a dying breed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, Phil has the best on-air comment about the pats of all time.. "The Patriots lead the league in....in, just making things happen..." what? how the heck do you lead the league in a non-quantitative category? but i agree 
    Posted by juspat2[/QUOTE]

At the risk of igniting another political tangent . . .  why don't you ask the guy who created the "saved" job?

But seriously, these guys are bound to say stupid stuff occasionally. You probably think it would be easy to comment on a football game without sounding like an idiot some of the time. Trust me . . .  I am annoyingly retentive when it comes to this kind of thing. That's whay I mentioned that "what" thing that Aikman does in my first response to this thread. Simms may be guilty of narrowing his perspective to make the action on the field jibe with what he predicted, but at least he doesn't have an annoying rhetorical tick.

We've got a guy here on weekend radio duty -- Henry Lake -- who does Vikings and Gophers post-game call-in duty (and as often as those teams lose, believe me, that job is no fun) and he says "in terms of . . . " so often that I actually can't hear anything else he says, because I'm constantly waiting for him to throw another "in terms of . . . " in there.

Just once . . .  once . . .   I'd like to hear Henry say "in relation to . . . " or "in regard to . . . "

But no . . .

It's always "in terms of . . .  "

I mention this a lot, but if the average person actually taped himself just once and listened to what other people hear when he talks, he'd realize that he's probably a much bigger idiot than he ever suspected.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

somebody posted this exact topic like a week ago

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

I usually find Simms fairly innocuous, but I agree with the O.P on yesterday's game -- Simms was just ball-washing the Jets the whole time.  I got really irritated by the end of the game.  I guess it's because he used to be a New Yorker or something.  Apropos of the "in terms of" verbal tick, the one that gets to me and and my hubby is "_____-wise."  You hear this fill-in-the-blank-wise crap all the time.  Some baseball commentator will be talking about a pitcher's repertoire and he'll say somthing like, "So-and-so's really got it goin', stuff-wise." 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]The only problem I had yesterday was on the Branch reception/Fumble call when both of those guys kept trying to say it was a fumble. That one had me screaming and calling them morons for not seeing the obvious contact while Branches knee was down. Other than that they did Okay. If you didn't like that wait 'til next week when the Dallas Game is on Fox and I guarantee you Aikman will be doing that game with his evil twin.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

They just don't know the rules. Changing hands with the ball is considered possession of the ball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Thanks for the update. I had turned the volume off and was listening to the radio.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

try listening to gruden/jaws/ and that other MNF guy though gruden has said some nice things this year about brady and the pats. so has deion sanders

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]If you hate Phil Simms, then try listening to Jon Gruden. His use of superlatives for every play is just plainly annoying.
    Posted by achie[/QUOTE]
      I like Gruden. He is entertainment even when the game sucks. LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sigh, Phil Simms and BB are friends. BB won Simms 2 SB rings.

Circle gets the square!

Nothing worse then Brent Mouthberger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zigmundo. Show zigmundo's posts

1. The worst I have ever heard was Tony Kornheiser who clearly wants to have Brett Favres baby.
    2. I know most will disagree with me but I like Michaels and Collinsworth.
    3. He is not play by play, but Shannon Sharpe is not nearly as smooth or funny as he thinks he is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Why pick on Simms when there are so many tools and doosheramas on the air right now? He's far from the worst. Yes he did miss on some funny stuff with Welker and Revis though, which had the result of making him seem like he didn't know what was going on.