Philip Rivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Philip Rivers

Just won a playoff game on the road without having to throw (or complete) a single pass a high school quarterback couldn't of made. He was 12 of 16 for 118 yards, 1 td.

Meanwhile here in Patriot land rusty claims Brady "craps down his leg during the post season". In other quarterback news Dalton couldn't hit the broad side of a barn despite having tall, fast and young weapons to work with, Brees didn't have to do a thing to win his game, Luck threw three picks last night and Foles did nothing. 

Explain to me again how a quarterback like Rivers is asked to do nothing during a playoff game and win it by 17 points on the road, yet Brady can stand on his head and get no respect? It's very confusing around here - the rest of the country thinks Brady is ok...I do, but why not here in rusty land?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Philip Rivers

IMO I think that had to do with the Bengals (and especially Dalton) being chokers. They made it much easier for SD with 2 fumbles (one inside the 5 yard line) and 2 interceptions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Also the only really impressive throw Rivers made was the 33 yd pass down the sideline to Eddie Royal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Explanation: Rusty, and anyone who agrees with him regarding Brady, is an imbecile.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO I think that had to do with the Bengals (and especially Dalton) being chokers. They made it much easier for SD with 2 fumbles (one inside the 5 yard line) and 2 interceptions.

[/QUOTE]

I would say defense had a little something to do with it too. Dalton does suck though, could you picture Brady throwing to three guys like that guy has? I mean he sailed the ball so many times today it was ridiculous. The throws he did make weren't special. And let me tell you, man is he throwing to some talent there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Also the only really impressive throw Rivers made was the 33 yd pass down the sideline to Eddie Royal.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It did look like he was pretty open to me on that play, but the safety was closing it in...it was a good pass. Rivers can throw it, but he didn't have to do a thing today...Brady never has that luxury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Who cares what 1 person says. He is obviously wrong. In regards to Rivers well.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say defense had a little something to do with it too. Dalton does suck though, could you picture Brady throwing to three guys like that guy has? I mean he sailed the ball so many times today it was ridiculous. The throws he did make weren't special. And let me tell you, man is he throwing to some talent there.

[/QUOTE]

I do agree on that part. Dalton has some nice weapons, yet cannot utilize them when he really needs to. I thought the same thing regarding him sailing the ball...I swear he was going to get one of his receivers hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It did look like he was pretty open to me on that play, but the safety was closing it in...it was a good pass. Rivers can throw it, but he didn't have to do a thing today...Brady never has that luxury.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the bolded part. All Rivers had to do today was not turn it over...while true for all QBs, the throws he had to make were extremely simple and non impressive (aside from the one mentioned above).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Flacco only threw 10 times when they beat the Pats in Foxboro in the 2009 playoff.

4 for 10, 34 yards, ZERO TDs, 1 INT

Imagine what it's like when a young, unproven QB can just sit back and let the other 52 guys win it for you?

TB will never have that feeling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You cannot expect a defense to come up big in critical situations or get turnovers against the better teams, especially in the playoffs.  In this era of explosive offenses, a 90 yard TD drive is an expected automatic of an offense especially when behind and with time running out.  It's up to the offense to not only score points, but use 80% of the clock time doing so, therefore not putting any unneeeded stress on the D.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

good point made MtHurl but to me this game was more lost by the Bengals than won by the Chargers. Red zone fumble by Gio Bernard in first half, Dalton's three turnovers, and AJ Green's huge drop at the 10 late to mabe make it a game again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Rusty is a unemployed, home bound, pathetic troll will mental issues. He spends all day on this site Bashing our future Hall of Fame QB when he's not Googling everything he knows.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Just won a playoff game on the road without having to throw (or complete) a single pass a high school quarterback couldn't of made. He was 12 of 16 for 118 yards, 1 td.

Meanwhile here in Patriot land rusty claims Brady "craps down his leg during the post season". In other quarterback news Dalton couldn't hit the broad side of a barn despite having tall, fast and young weapons to work with, Brees didn't have to do a thing to win his game, Luck threw three picks last night and Foles did nothing. 

Explain to me again how a quarterback like Rivers is asked to do nothing during a playoff game and win it by 17 points on the road, yet Brady can stand on his head and get no respect? It's very confusing around here - the rest of the country thinks Brady is ok...I do, but why not here in rusty land?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Rivers, the team's only recognizable name, the team's only superstar, was not asked to do too much.

There you go. I do not side with Rusty all the time, but on this one I will. So per Babe's post, I am an imbecile. I hope that does not stop people on these boards from reading what I have to say.

Here are some game facts:

Cincinnati scored 10 pts. Only 3 less than they scored vs the Pats. Really NEP D's output was practically the same as SD's defensive output today.

Cincinnati ran the ball 40 times!!! They threw the ball 16 times.

Hmmmm.

Rivers was perceived their best weapon going into this game. How can they win without letting throw much?

Some will argue, SD forced 4 turnovers. BS. I counter that SD scored two field goals off drives that immmeidately followed those turnovers - good for 6 points. 21 points were off drives that did not follow turnovers.

Pregame facts. SD's average ypc was 4.0 in the reg season (NEP had 4.4). Their lead back has been so bad, SD fans have been questioning whether their lead back should be labeled a bust when the season started. In the reg season, Matthews had an average of 4.4. And yes, he fumbles too. Their back up was the same backup that NEP had a year ago.

Blount averages 5.0. Ridley averages 4.3.

From those facts, I come up with the opininon that NEP has a better RB crew than SD's. IMO.

In-game facts:

SD's ypc at the half was below 4.0. I believe it was 3.8.

In the first half, they ran the ball no more than 20 times, including Rivers' scrambles. On roughly 10 of those runs, SD got no more than 3 yards.

That did not stop them from running in the second half. By end of the game, they averaged 4.9.

The long run was a whopping 58!!! That means they averaged 3.53 over the 39 other runs throughout the game.

So tell me... How did  Rivers beat Cinci. My answer is that he did not.

On Hurl's claim that TB does not have the luxury to let the rest of the offense play. My response: SDC decided they had the luxury to let the rest of the team play, with less than what the rest of the Pats can offer.

Look, I do believe TB is the GOAT. I just don't believe making him do everything is the formula that will lead this team to its next SB win.

For those who might claim NEP's D is not as good as SD's, I'll save you the effort. On yards, NEP is ranked 26th, SD 23rd. On pts per game, NEP is 10th, SD is 11th. Practically no difference.

So, here's my question for everyone else... How did SDC manage to score 27 pts on a good run D like Cinci, on day when the weather was not a factor; while NEP could only score 6 on a bad weather day?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Rivers, the team's only recognizable name, the team's only superstar, was not asked to do too much.

There you go. I do not side with Rusty all the time, but on this one I will. So per Babe's post, I am an imbecile. I hope that does not stop people on these boards from reading what I have to say.

Cincinnati scored 10 pts. Only 3 less than they scored vs the Pats. Really NEP D's output was practically the same as SD's defensive output today.

Hmmmm.

Rivers was perceived their best weapon going into this game. How can they win without letting throw much?

Some will argue, SD forced 4 turnovers. BS. I counter that SD scored two field goals off drives that immmeidately followed those turnovers - good for 6 points. 21 points were off drives that did not follow turnovers.

Pregame facts. SD's average ypc was 4.0 in the reg season (NEP had 4.4). Their lead back has been so bad, SD fans have been questioning whether their lead back should be labeled a bust when the season started. In the reg season, Matthews had an average of 4.4. And yes, he fumbles too. Their back up was the same backup that NEP had a year ago.

From those facts, I come up with the opininon that NEP has a better RB crew than SD's. IMO.

In-game facts:

In the first half, they ran the ball no more than 20 times, including Rivers' scrambles. On roughly 10 of those runs, SD got no more than 3 yards.

That did not stop them from running in the second half. By end of the game, they averaged 4.9.

The long run was a whopping 58!!! That means they averaged 3.53 over the 39 other runs throughout the game.

On Hurl's claim that TB does not have the luxury to let the rest of the offense play. My response: SDC decided they had the luxury to let the rest of the team play, with less than what the rest of the Pats can offer.

Look, I do believe TB is the GOAT. I just don't believe making him do everything is the formula that will lead this team to its next SB win.

For those who might claim NEP's D is not as good as SD's, I'll save you the effort. On yards, NEP is ranked 26th, SD 23rd. On pts per game, NEP is 10th, SD is 11th. Practically no difference.

So, here's my question for everyone else... How did SDC manage to score 27 pts on a good run D like Cinci, on day when the weather was not a factor; while NEP could only score 6 on a bad weather day?

[/QUOTE]

Because Cincy turned it over 4 times. By the way, 3 weeks ago Rusty said Matthews suxed, and they would not make the playoffs. Rivers had a very good game. He had a 118 passer rating which is pretty good and he had no turnovers. The MVP's of this game were the SD defenders. Of Cincy's last 28 plays 26 were passes. Cincy was super balanced at that point. They lost because of turnovers. It's not important that the Chargers only get 3 out of a turnover. Turning a 7 point game into a 10 point game in the 4th quarter was huge. It killed Cincy's running game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Hmmmm.

In-game facts:

[/QUOTE]

(1) You can't get around the fact that SD won the TO battle 4-0.   That's huge.

The Pats are 16-4 in the playoffs when they get even 1 TO.  They are 1-3 when they get none (including the last 3 years)

(2) The Bengals got into the RZ once all game (until the final 2 meaningless minutes).   In today's NFL that is losing football every week.  So, the SD defense was shutting down everything the Begals tried when it counted.

(3) Dalton was really really bad whenever it counted.  SD knew that they could play for FGs with the lead without fear that the Bengals would drive for 2 TDs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Hmmmm.

In-game facts:

[/QUOTE]

(1) You can't get around the fact that SD won the TO battle 4-0.   That's huge.

The Pats are 16-4 in the playoffs when they get even 1 TO.  They are 1-3 when they get none (including the last 3 years)

(2) The Bengals got into the RZ once all game (until the final 2 meaningless minutes).   In today's NFL that is losing football every week.  So, the SD defense was shutting down everything the Begals tried when it counted.

(3) Dalton was really really bad whenever it counted.  SD knew that they could play for FGs with the lead without fear that the Bengals would drive for 2 TDs.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Teams almost never beat good teams when they lose the turnover battle 4-0. I would bet teams quarterbacked by the likes of Andy Dalton win an even smaller percentage of those games. Rivers didn't have to win this game. His defense won it for him but Rivers played very good anyways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Hmmmm.

In-game facts:

[/QUOTE]

How? Turnovers, their defense created turnovers...some of it by pressure...some of it by horrendous throws...some of it by good coverage.

And I'm not saying you made some good points, because you did. Truthfully there is a lot that goes into a football game/winning a football game, my point is just that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rusty is a unemployed, home bound, pathetic troll will mental issues. He spends all day on this site Bashing our future Hall of Fame QB when he's not Googling everything he knows.

[/QUOTE]

So true. He doesn't even seem to have a clue how to function in society. Amazing he has as many day passes as he does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Hmmmm.

In-game facts:

[/QUOTE]

How? Turnovers, their defense created turnovers...some of it by pressure...some of it by horrendous throws...some of it by good coverage.

And I'm not saying you made some good points, because you did. Truthfully there is a lot that goes into a football game/winning a football game, my point is just that.

[/QUOTE]

Can you explain why you think the TO was actually a big deal in this game? Or are you just saying that because the notion gets thrown around like it's absolutely always true?

I actually addressed TOs in my post, but let me expand here.

A TO is only a big deal if either one happens:

1) You score as a direct result of the TO (running in a recovered fumble, or pick six)

2) You set up your offense for a short field goal, and it actually results in a TD.

Otherwise, a TO is just like any other stop; it is no better than forcing a punt. The result is the same. You prevent the other team from scoring on their possession. Your team starts on your end of the field.

The first TO (fumble recovery) was exactly that - in essence a simple stop. SD's O started at the SD 11.

The fourth TO (INT) put the SD O right at the 50 - in essence the same result as if SD forced Cinci into a 3 and out deep in Cinci territory - good field position. It resulted in a punt though, so SD did not really capitalize on it.

SD got a FG each off the second and third TOs - a total of 6 points.

So really, the four TOs were just like making four stops and getting 6 points off each of the possessions that followed the stop.

On the other hand, they scored 21 points off possessions that did not follow a TO, with each drive going for at least 60 yards. That was the big factor.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"a unemployed"?

You use an article in that case, T Troll. It should be "an". LOL

I don't need to Google anything. I can recall info within milliseconds as you struggle to complete proper sentences. LOL

Just because you have Dyslexia and are insecure as a gay man next to a Brady doll, is not anyone's business here.  That is your business. Don't make it everyone else's.

Any adult seriously saying "a adult" cleary did not go to college.

You are the same idiot that calls a Purdue grad, Ninkovich, who is a very good player, "Dink".

You're either a 4th grade moron or an adult with mental problems.

[/QUOTE]

You never went to College either. Stop talking down to people. Here you are and in another thread you said " between you and I", huh? That's not correct English either, it's between you and ME! ME, being the object of the preposition between, get it!

Now do'nt call me a moron because I'm already a member of your famous Moron Club.

Stop this nonsense!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Hmmmm.

In-game facts:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can you explain why you think the TO was actually a big deal in this game? Or are you just saying that because the notion gets thrown around like it's absolutely always true?

I actually addressed TOs in my post, but let me expand here.

A TO is only a big deal if either one happens:

1) You score as a direct result of the TO (running in a recovered fumble, or pick six)

2) You set up your offense for a short field goal, and it actually results in a TD.

Otherwise, a TO is just like any other stop; it is no better than forcing a punt. The result is the same. You prevent the other team from scoring on their possession. Your team starts on your end of the field.

The first TO (fumble recovery) was exactly that - in essence a simple stop. SD's O started at the SD 11.

The fourth TO (INT) put the SD O right at the 50 - in essence the same result as if SD forced Cinci into a 3 and out deep in Cinci territory - good field position. It resulted in a punt though, so SD did not really capitalize on it.

SD got a FG each off the second and third TOs - a total of 6 points.

So really, the four TOs were just like making four stops and getting 6 points off each of the possessions that followed the stop.

On the other hand, they scored 21 points off possessions that did not follow a TO, with each drive going for at least 60 yards. That was the big factor.

[/QUOTE]

The four turnovers killed almost a third of their posessions. So in a game where you have only 12 posessions you need to be extra good in your other posessions. Historically good if the other team does not turn it over. Also scoring 3 points is fine on a turnover when it makes it a two score game. Being behind 10 points in the 4th quarter clearly changed the Bengals options. The turnovers were massive as it allowed the Chargers to play conservative and it wore out the Bengals defense. Though the Chargers final TD had more to do with over aggressiveness than exhaustion IMO.