Philip Rivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Philip Rivers

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The four turnovers killed almost a third of their posessions. So in a game where you have only 12 posessions you need to be extra good in your other posessions. Historically good if the other team does not turn it over. Also scoring 3 points is fine on a turnover when it makes it a two score game. Being behind 10 points in the 4th quarter clearly changed the Bengals options. The turnovers were massive as it allowed the Chargers to play conservative and it wore out the Bengals defense. Though the Chargers final TD had more to do with over aggressiveness than exhaustion IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Still no better than 4 stops, that collectively resulted in 2 FG.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The four turnovers killed almost a third of their posessions. So in a game where you have only 12 posessions you need to be extra good in your other posessions. Historically good if the other team does not turn it over. Also scoring 3 points is fine on a turnover when it makes it a two score game. Being behind 10 points in the 4th quarter clearly changed the Bengals options. The turnovers were massive as it allowed the Chargers to play conservative and it wore out the Bengals defense. Though the Chargers final TD had more to do with over aggressiveness than exhaustion IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Still no better than 4 stops, that collectively resulted in 2 FG.

[/QUOTE]

No, because a turnover deep in your end gives up points. The Chargers lost yardage on  offense after the 4th turnover but because it happened in the Bengals end they were able to kick a field goal bringing their lead up from 7 to 10 points. A two score game. A punt putting the Chargers on their own 10 yard line up by 7 is vastly better. Turnovers kill, it's not a cliche. Sure individual turnovers can be offset by good defense or offense but teams almost never beat good teams losing 4 more turnovers than their opponents. With a good defense like Cincy a punt is not always bad. The MVP of this game was the Chargers defense. Rivers played very good but he had an easy day of it. It looked to me like Mathews re hurt his ankle because i did not see him play again in the second half. That does not bode well for SD next week unless they can get a lot of turnovers again. He was the MVP of that first game. The Chargers played keep away from Manning last time for much of that game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will concede on the third TO. That was significant, as SD did not even have to move the ball to score the 3 pts that extended the game to two possession.

The other three, well, on two, they did nothing out of it. On the second TO, the O did a good job of moving the ball.

Also, it does not mean all the other things I said - them depending much less on Rivers' arm - did not happen. They did. They ran 40 times. Keeping to the ground was probably a big part of the plan going into the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It should be an interesting weekend. We get it started at 8:15 on Saturday evening in the Rain and cold of Foxboro! The early forecast is for cold temps and nasty cold rain, now that's not quite the comfort of the Dome in Indy and the receivers really do have problems holding on to the ball in sloppy conditions. Should be fun to watch. The Rivers Vs. Goober game should be a shoot out!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will concede on the third TO. That was significant, as SD did not even have to move the ball to score the 3 pts that extended the game to two possession.

The other three, well, on two, they did nothing out of it. On the second TO, the O did a good job of moving the ball.

Also, it does not mean all the other things I said - them depending much less on Rivers' arm - did not happen. They did. They ran 40 times. Keeping to the ground was probably a big part of the plan going into the game.

[/QUOTE]

I never commented about their running game because it seemed self evident they wanted to run the ball, which they are good at. I read River's threw the least amount of passes he had ever thrown in a first half so clearly they wanted to run the ball. They were able to stick to it all the way to the end because of the turnovers, Cincy does not fumble it on the 2 yard line and Cincy has the 10 point lead I suspect SD opens the game up some. San Diego's defense has been pretty good since Ingram got healthy. Their defensive ranking climbed dramatically over the last month. I would no nonger consider their defense a major liability. In fact it has been great at times (Denver game, Giants game, yesterday). I assume the Pats will be pound and ground it for the rest of the year if they can avoid turnovers and keep the games close just like SD did yesterday.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

like a playoff QB......and your's???