picks aren't players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

picks aren't players

Also notable that second-year offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger was dropped despite the Patriots' interior issues and the fact they aggressively drafted him from Penn State in the fourth round last year. The Patriots traded cornerback Ellis Hobbs for a pair of fifth-round picks and then turned those assets into the fourth-round pick they used on Ohrnberger. He dressed for only three games last year.

thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: picks aren't players

dogggggg- Ohrnberger did not live up to expectations....Pretty simple....huh?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to picks aren't players:
    [QUOTE]Also notable that second-year offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger was dropped despite the Patriots' interior issues and the fact they aggressively drafted him from Penn State in the fourth round last year. The Patriots traded cornerback Ellis Hobbs for a pair of fifth-round picks and then turned those assets into the fourth-round pick they used on Ohrnberger. He dressed for only three games last year. thoughts
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

So the sum total is they traded Hobbs for nothing.  That's about right, addition by subtraction.  Although I'd rather have Hobbs than Slater.  Then again, I'd rather have Mr. Slate than Slater.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Actually, they got a fourth and a sixth round pick for the two fifth round picks, which they turned into Ohrnberger and Ingram.  

In retrospect Ohrnberger looks like a mistake (though Ingram was a good pick). I can't knock the Pats for getting rid of Hobbs . . . he wasn't that good.  A certain number of picks aren't going to work out, but I don't think it was bad for the Pats to (1) increase a fifth rounder to a fourth rounder and (2) take a shot on a guard in that round.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I will say this underpants...The Colts have been the best drafters this decade. And all that, plus one of the 2 best QBs in football and one of the best WRs all time has netted them 2 Super Bowl appearences and 1 ring compared to the 4 and 3 for the Pats.

Frustrated much?

Here's a sobering thought: If the Colts missed on their draft picks as much as the Pats, just how bad would they be? Conversely, if the Pats drafted as well as Indy, how many MORE rings would they have? So, yes, in the front office, I will concede I think the Colts have an advantage. On the field, however, it's not even a debate, over the course of the past 10 years, the Pats have repeatedly CRUSHED the Colts' hopes and dreams, leaving their fans to point out the failures of a 4th round pick. How sad for them. I think I'll go watch one of my 3 Patriot Champioship DVDs. Or maybe one of the books written about the championships. Or maybe I'll flip through one of the photo books the globe released about each one. Or maybe I'll discuss with myself WHICH of the THREE was the sweetest. Enough about the Pats, maybe I'll divulge into the 2 Red Sox rings...or the Cs...or the Bruins getting Seguin and looking to climb back towards the top...

By the way, how's life in Indy?

Thanks for coming out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Also notable that second-year offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger was dropped despite the Patriots' interior issues and the fact they aggressively drafted him from Penn State in the fourth round last year. The Patriots traded cornerback Ellis Hobbs for a pair of fifth-round picks and then turned those assets into the fourth-round pick they used on Ohrnberger. He dressed for only three games last year. thoughts

that's how it goes, sometimes you find a gem some times you find a rock

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The average team brings in about 23 rookies (8 drafted, 15 undrafted) each year and only about 13 end up making either the regular roster or practice squad (usually about a half and half split between regular roster and practice squad, I think). Most of those 13 don't stick very long, either, and only a small fraction become starting-quality NFL players.  So drafting is at best an inexact science.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

Pats used draft picks for Randy Moss and Wes Welker too..Etc..Etc.. Those were players and still are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Thoughts?  It must be a really slow news day if you have to create a thread about a 4th round pick that didnt make an NFL team.  STOP THE PRESSES!!!! 

This the best you can do underdogggggggggggggg??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

How many of those the Patriots drafted or brought in as undrafted rookies over this period of time (last 10 years) were released and then went on to make other less competitive teams rosters?  Have to keep in mind, it's hard to beat out "GOOD" players on perennial Super Bowl contending teams like the Patriots!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Hey Dragon!   Good to see someone else take a dump on doggiedodo......other than tex, garytx, rusty, HRG, Caroway et. al.   ALWAYS feels good after you take a dump!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: picks aren't players:
    [QUOTE]I will say this underpants...The Colts have been the best drafters this decade. And all that, plus one of the 2 best QBs in football and one of the best WRs all time has netted them 2 Super Bowl appearences and 1 ring compared to the 4 and 3 for the Pats. Frustrated much? Here's a sobering thought: If the Colts missed on their draft picks as much as the Pats, just how bad would they be? Conversely, if the Pats drafted as well as Indy, how many MORE rings would they have? So, yes, in the front office, I will concede I think the Colts have an advantage. On the field, however, it's not even a debate, over the course of the past 10 years, the Pats have repeatedly CRUSHED the Colts' hopes and dreams, leaving their fans to point out the failures of a 4th round pick. How sad for them. I think I'll go watch one of my 3 Patriot Champioship DVDs. Or maybe one of the books written about the championships. Or maybe I'll flip through one of the photo books the globe released about each one. Or maybe I'll discuss with myself WHICH of the THREE was the sweetest. Enough about the Pats, maybe I'll divulge into the 2 Red Sox rings...or the Cs...or the Bruins getting Seguin and looking to climb back towards the top... By the way, how's life in Indy? Thanks for coming out.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Great post!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Umm... Are we really arguing about getting Hobbs off this team a year earlier?

Dude was garbage and not good at all. Couldnt cover, was getting run over in run support and was always hurt. No

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think you are a troll who belongs on a Colts site.  You NEVER answer that charge.  Why will you NOT leave?  You don't belong here.  And this is a shot.  You pretend it's a discussion, but it's a put down.  THAT is why you are a troll.  I truly despise you.  And wish you would find a place where YOUR teams fans get together to discuss YOUR team.  NOT HERE.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

This is exactly why I don't get excited about anything beyond a first round draft pick (WHICH WE CONSISTENTLY TRADE DOWN FOR!!!!!).  I'm not excited about next year's draft with the pick from the Raiders because they won't use it anyway.  They will trade down and pick a wheatly or whilhite type player.  I can only pray that when this team ends at 8-8, they get crazy like they did after the 2006 season and get some players that are worth a sh**.  I can't help that Tom has in the back of his mind about playing out the season and seeing what happens. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: picks aren't players : Great post!
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]

Agreed, great post.  But I want a good team now.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

[QUOTE]^^This kid lacks intelligence. He's proven it over and over.
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]

I hope you are not talking about me, because you have proved over and over again that you are delusional.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

[QUOTE]^^This kid lacks intelligence. He's proven it over and over.
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]

I also predict that we will not hear from you after the bye week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

So so  drafting + great coaching = 3 SB wins
    good drafting + numerous rule changes to your advantage = 1 SB win

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

53 man roster. Never had a losing season since the beginning of the Tom Brady era. 9 years= give or take 80(more then any team in the league) draft picks. Hmmm? I don't understand why all these guys can't make it on the team. BB must be terrible at drafting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]I will say this underpants...The Colts have been the best drafters this decade. And all that, plus one of the 2 best QBs in football and one of the best WRs all time has netted them 2 Super Bowl appearences and 1 ring compared to the 4 and 3 for the Pats. Frustrated much? Here's a sobering thought: If the Colts missed on their draft picks as much as the Pats, just how bad would they be? Conversely, if the Pats drafted as well as Indy, how many MORE rings would they have? So, yes, in the front office, I will concede I think the Colts have an advantage. On the field, however, it's not even a debate, over the course of the past 10 years, the Pats have repeatedly CRUSHED the Colts' hopes and dreams, leaving their fans to point out the failures of a 4th round pick. How sad for them. I think I'll go watch one of my 3 Patriot Champioship DVDs. Or maybe one of the books written about the championships. Or maybe I'll flip through one of the photo books the globe released about each one. Or maybe I'll discuss with myself WHICH of the THREE was the sweetest. Enough about the Pats, maybe I'll divulge into the 2 Red Sox rings...or the Cs...or the Bruins getting Seguin and looking to climb back towards the top... By the way, how's life in Indy? Thanks for coming out.
    And I'll say this - the core of that defense that won those sb's were already on the pats when bb came.  Some credit must be given to the past administration.  McGinest, Johnson, Bruschi, Law.  The team did add well through the draft on the offensive line and in FA on Defense, but those guys are gone and really since BB has had to work on his own, with his own players, he's been to one SB and lost.  

The colts have been good, but they have recently missed badly on the offensive line and the interior of the D line.  We'll see how things go this year, but remember - 95% of Belichick's success came with the core already in place. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Dragon, i do hear you, and here is a tidbit about The Colts and the Pats.  When the Pats played Patriot football, they beat everyone up in the trenches, Manning had the Stats, and Brady the big wins, clutch wins.  Then in 06 for one season, Manning learned how to play like Brady, a not so great offense that played to the score, many close games and won them, and got his SB ring.

Then in 07 we get Moss and Welker and Brady learned to play like Peyton, breaking records, MVP etc.

In Mannings career he is, I believe 9-10 in the playoffs, and in those losses, the greatest offense ever, maybe could only muster an average of 12 points in each of those 10 losses, and they always blamed their defense.

In 07 and 09 Brady's team in those 2 losses, had become the now greatest offense ever, and stat wise, Brady's best years.  In his 2 losses with this great offense, his offense scored 14 points for his team, and they blamed, Pats fans blamed the defense.  If the offense was so great, why only 14 points?  

In 06 with Reche Caldwell, we scored 34 points against a great Colt D that year, and our 2 greatest years ever offensively, we scored a total of 28 points, in the 2 games we lost.

So having the great drafts the Colts have had means little in the end when you can't win with your so called strength, and same with the Pats, getting a great offense,it screws up and the D is blamed.  

Last year our D played very well, #5 in points against in the league, and a great stat offense that couldn't score and more important, couldn't sustain a drive from mid 3rd 1/4 till the end.  The D remains on the field for most of the second half, especially the Colt game.  How many times, and how quickly did the offense give the Colts the ball back in the 4th quarter?

It is hard to know what your strengths are, and as the late great Redhead and BB have said among others:  Stats are for losers!!