Pioli Fired!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Pioli Fired!

Personally I think the whole GM thing is a bit overrated to begin with - they have say seven draft picks...most of them will hit on 1-2 of those selections..more if they are lucky...less if they are not. They sign some free agents...maybe half of them make a difference...the other half get hurt. They all know how important a QB is to their team. They all have 10 guys that help them with contracts and the salary cap. They all work for owners that have lots of money...

To me it's about who they hire as a coach and who they get as a quarterback...the ones that have both succeed...the ones that don't are Scott Pioli. I think he deserved to be fired - he failed to acquire a head coach on two tries and brought in the wrong QB. Game over.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to polar123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If anything, his firing reinforces just how good a coach Belicheck is. Under his watch, Matt Cassell developed into a decent NFl caliber QB, and went 11-5, the year Brady went down. In KC, under a string of Head Coaches picked Pioli, Cassell failed misreably.  I hear People say it is all about the system BB runs in NE an how it fit Cassell, but Pioli was a part of that system, and he failed to reproduce it in KC. The Cassell argument also answers critics who say that BB is overrrated, and that the Pats success is all because of Brady. Bringing Pioli back here makes no sense really, they are doing fine without him.

[/QUOTE]

All nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

I am not going to play your game.  I could care less what you think.

[/QUOTE]

It's no game that you are dead wrong. Get back to us when you have something of substance to offer minus the spin.

[/QUOTE]

us??? Lol.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "us" that hasn't agreed with you except for the class clown, Rusty.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If anything, his firing reinforces just how good a coach Belicheck is. Under his watch, Matt Cassell developed into a decent NFl caliber QB, and went 11-5, the year Brady went down. In KC, under a string of Head Coaches picked Pioli, Cassell failed misreably.  I hear People say it is all about the system BB runs in NE an how it fit Cassell, but Pioli was a part of that system, and he failed to reproduce it in KC. The Cassell argument also answers critics who say that BB is overrrated, and that the Pats success is all because of Brady. Bringing Pioli back here makes no sense really, they are doing fine without him.

[/QUOTE]

All nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's no game that you are dead wrong. Get back to us when you have something of substance to offer minus the spin.

[/QUOTE]

us??? Lol.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok,. I have no idea what is going on here, but you take this place way too seriously.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right, but he drafted and  the ones in 2010, and re-upped those Pro Bowlers.

He's gone because Crennel didn't work and he's just not headcoaching material.  Reid took the job in KC because KC is LOADED with talent.

Peterson had awful drafts (outside of 2008). Gee, why do you think Peterson was fired?

lol

The Chiefs MAIN problem has always been the coach and its uality and salary allocation/market which is what Pioli is very good at.

Floyd Reese is also very good at that here (he's taken over that portion of the Pioli role with the other half going to Caserio) and in Tenn when built those annual, quality Titans teams.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...Reese is good, Pioli can do the same stuff, it's just that he had to do one more thing than Reese did (hire that head coach). That's a biggy. I really am shocked he hired both of those guys to be honest - when he hired Haley, I thought...why is he hiring that hot head? And  when he hired Crennel I was just totally stunned. It does take money to hire coaches, but if you pick one of the right young guys it doesn't (at first). I don't know what big name coaches were out there when the Chiefs were bringing in candidates when Pioli was there, but I highly doubt Pioli was going to share the limelight with a big name coach. I don't think he went pursuing Cowher or Gruden...or made a call to his father in law. I think he purposely went after no name guys to build on his own reputation, and I'm sure most would do it the same way if they were in his shoes.

I just don't like reading all the stuff about how he acted in the organization. The control freak stuff...being rude, being anal. I think the guy thought that was the stuff that was going to turn around the Chiefs - more so than the head coach or certain players - and that's where he was wrong.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The Kansas City Star doesn't seem to think Pioli did such a great job bringing in players...

But Pioli’s performance in the draft and in acquiring players through trades and free agency was as poor as it was in hiring head coaches.

Pioli’s first major transactions backfired horribly. He traded tight end and Chiefs icon Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta for a second-round draft pick, and Gonzalez has added to his Hall of Fame resume by helping Atlanta to three playoff berths in four years, while the player taken with that pick, cornerback Javier Arenas has made no impact.

Before his first draft with the Chiefs, Pioli traded a second-round choice to New England for Patriots veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel and backup quarterback Matt Cassel, who received a $63 million contract.

Vrabel retired after two seasons, and Cassel, who was a Pro Bowl injury replacement in 2010, was benched as the starter last October. With the Chiefs, Cassel is 19-21 with 59 touchdown passes, 44 interceptions and a mediocre 77.5 passer rating.

While always speaking of bringing in competition at all positions, Pioli never backed up those words at quarterback, the most important position on the field. The Chiefs claimed Kyle Orton on waivers after Cassel suffered a season-ending injury in 2011, and Orton helped Crennel get the head-coaching job by leading the Chiefs to wins over Green Bay and Denver in the last three games of the season.

But Orton, a free agent at the end of the season, opted to sign as a backup with Dallas rather than return to the Chiefs where he would get little chance to compete with Cassel. Pioli, Crennel and Hunt all paid lip service in saying they would pursue Peyton Manning in free agency last winter, but Manning never considered Kansas City and signed with AFC West rival Denver, which won the AFC West this year.

Instead, the Chiefs signed Brady Quinn, who hadn’t appeared in a game in two seasons for Denver, and performed no better, if not worse, than Cassel, in his eight starts this season.

Except for center Casey Wiegmann and guard Ryan Lilja, who were signed in 2010 and helped the Chiefs go 10-6 that season; and offensive tackle Eric Winston, who helped the Chiefs rank fifth in the NFL in rushing this season, Pioli had little but embarrassment to show for his dealings in free agency.

Just as Pioli traded Gonzalez as way to divest the team of players from the Peterson era, he ran off five-time Pro Bowl guard and team leader Brian Waters after the 2010 season. Waters signed with New England as a free agent and helped the Patriots to the Super Bowl in 2011.

Pioli also failed to retain cornerback Brandon Carr, who signed a five-year, $50 million contract with Dallas during the off-season and had a brilliant season with the Cowboys. Meanwhile, Stanford Routt, whom Pioli signed to a three-year, $31.5 million contract last spring, was released at mid-season. And the major free-agent signing of 2011, wide receiver Steve Breaston -- who signed for five years at $22.5 million -- has been healthy but inactive for several games, even though the Chiefs were thin at the position.

The four draft classes under Pioli’s watch failed to produce consistent playmakers. It took four years for the Chiefs to realize defensive end Tyson Jackson, the third overall pick in 2009, could be a three- down player, and he’ll likely be a free agent in 2013.

While a two-time Pro Bowl pick, Eric Berry has proven that taking a safety with the fifth overall pick in 2010 was a reach. And the biggest bust of all was wide receiver Jon Baldwin, taken in the first round in 2011 despite all kinds of red flags. Baldwin has caught two touchdown passes in two years.

Pioli’s tenure ended with tragedy. On Dec. 1, he was called from his office at the Chiefs training complex to the parking lot and encountered linebacker Jovan Belcher, who had just killed his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins and was brandishing a Beretta .40-caliber handgun. Pleas from Pioli, Crennel and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs failed to prevent Belcher from taking his own life right in front of them.

More off-field headaches would follow when Adam Zimmer, an assistant coach, was arrested on a DUI charge on Dec. 23, the night of the final home game of the season, a loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

I forgot about Gonzalez...who in their right mind trades that guy away? Or lets Waters walk before the start of the regular season? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

So, now, Polar123 is also me, Babe? You're as crazy as a dunghouse rat.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't say that junior. Just said the only one agreeing with him is you. Don't worry, I'll be here to help you grasp the little things as well as the big ones.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Kansas City Star doesn't seem to think Pioli did such a great job bringing in players...

But Pioli’s performance in the draft and in acquiring players through trades and free agency was as poor as it was in hiring head coaches.

Pioli’s first major transactions backfired horribly. He traded tight end and Chiefs icon Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta for a second-round draft pick, and Gonzalez has added to his Hall of Fame resume by helping Atlanta to three playoff berths in four years, while the player taken with that pick, cornerback Javier Arenas has made no impact.

Before his first draft with the Chiefs, Pioli traded a second-round choice to New England for Patriots veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel and backup quarterback Matt Cassel, who received a $63 million contract.

Vrabel retired after two seasons, and Cassel, who was a Pro Bowl injury replacement in 2010, was benched as the starter last October. With the Chiefs, Cassel is 19-21 with 59 touchdown passes, 44 interceptions and a mediocre 77.5 passer rating.

While always speaking of bringing in competition at all positions, Pioli never backed up those words at quarterback, the most important position on the field. The Chiefs claimed Kyle Orton on waivers after Cassel suffered a season-ending injury in 2011, and Orton helped Crennel get the head-coaching job by leading the Chiefs to wins over Green Bay and Denver in the last three games of the season.

But Orton, a free agent at the end of the season, opted to sign as a backup with Dallas rather than return to the Chiefs where he would get little chance to compete with Cassel. Pioli, Crennel and Hunt all paid lip service in saying they would pursue Peyton Manning in free agency last winter, but Manning never considered Kansas City and signed with AFC West rival Denver, which won the AFC West this year.

Instead, the Chiefs signed Brady Quinn, who hadn’t appeared in a game in two seasons for Denver, and performed no better, if not worse, than Cassel, in his eight starts this season.

Except for center Casey Wiegmann and guard Ryan Lilja, who were signed in 2010 and helped the Chiefs go 10-6 that season; and offensive tackle Eric Winston, who helped the Chiefs rank fifth in the NFL in rushing this season, Pioli had little but embarrassment to show for his dealings in free agency.

Just as Pioli traded Gonzalez as way to divest the team of players from the Peterson era, he ran off five-time Pro Bowl guard and team leader Brian Waters after the 2010 season. Waters signed with New England as a free agent and helped the Patriots to the Super Bowl in 2011.

Pioli also failed to retain cornerback Brandon Carr, who signed a five-year, $50 million contract with Dallas during the off-season and had a brilliant season with the Cowboys. Meanwhile, Stanford Routt, whom Pioli signed to a three-year, $31.5 million contract last spring, was released at mid-season. And the major free-agent signing of 2011, wide receiver Steve Breaston -- who signed for five years at $22.5 million -- has been healthy but inactive for several games, even though the Chiefs were thin at the position.

The four draft classes under Pioli’s watch failed to produce consistent playmakers. It took four years for the Chiefs to realize defensive end Tyson Jackson, the third overall pick in 2009, could be a three- down player, and he’ll likely be a free agent in 2013.

While a two-time Pro Bowl pick, Eric Berry has proven that taking a safety with the fifth overall pick in 2010 was a reach. And the biggest bust of all was wide receiver Jon Baldwin, taken in the first round in 2011 despite all kinds of red flags. Baldwin has caught two touchdown passes in two years.

Pioli’s tenure ended with tragedy. On Dec. 1, he was called from his office at the Chiefs training complex to the parking lot and encountered linebacker Jovan Belcher, who had just killed his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins and was brandishing a Beretta .40-caliber handgun. Pleas from Pioli, Crennel and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs failed to prevent Belcher from taking his own life right in front of them.

More off-field headaches would follow when Adam Zimmer, an assistant coach, was arrested on a DUI charge on Dec. 23, the night of the final home game of the season, a loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

I forgot about Gonzalez...who in their right mind trades that guy away? Or lets Waters walk before the start of the regular season? 

[/QUOTE]

Pioli is a stooge and just another guy who made a name for himself off the back of Tom Brady and without Tom in the picture he has been an abject failure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not the Patriots?  He left on good terms.

[/QUOTE]

No, no, no!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

us??? Lol.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok,. I have no idea what is going on here, but you take this place way too seriously.

[/QUOTE]

I don't take this place seriously at all.

You were wrong and I pointed it out. No big whoop about that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Look at Grampa Babe even using this thread to try to prop up Brady even more. I can only imagine what section of Magnolia Manor Babe will be moved to if Brady does no improve this postseason.

lol

[/QUOTE]

The G.O.A.T. doesn't need propping up by me junior.

Just pointing out all the failures he has made into geniuses. LMAO@U

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

us??? Lol.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't take this place seriously at all.

You were wrong and I pointed it out. No big whoop about that.

[/QUOTE]

I respect that. It's your opinion, just as the above post was mine. As far as Rock Scully goes, he made some good points in this thread and I agreed with them. I didn't realize it would lead to whatever it is going on here between you two.

I also agree with your last post, that Brady contributed greatly to Pioli's reputation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not saying Pioli is terrible, I just think if he had Tom Brady and Bill Belichick at his disposal he'd be considered a genius as the Chiefs would be heading to probably their 2nd. or 3rd Super Bowl in the 4 years he was there. He doesn't have that...doesn't matter how much "value" or how responsible he was in spending worrying about the salary cap. When you don't have Tom Brady to cover up for your mistakes you are like most people in this league...fired. The "Patriot Way" couldn't save Pioli, Tom Brady could....so could Belichick.

Having the ability to pick up a gum wrapper in a stairway is not a talent, looking off a safety to get the coverage off your tight end is.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Going to Jets?  Now that would be interesting!

[/QUOTE]

Wow

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm not saying Pioli is terrible, I just think if he had Tom Brady and Bill Belichick at his disposal he'd be considered a genius as the Chiefs would be heading to probably their 2nd. or 3rd Super Bowl in the 4 years he was there. He doesn't have that...doesn't matter how much "value" or how responsible he was in spending worrying about the salary cap. When you don't have Tom Brady to cover up for your mistakes you are like most people in this league...fired. The "Patriot Way" couldn't save Pioli, Tom Brady could....so could Belichick.

Having the ability to pick up a gum wrapper in a stairway is not a talent, looking off a safety to get the coverage off your tight end is.

[/QUOTE]

You just stated what I said above. You need a coach. You need an owner. We have Kraft and BB here. It just so happens we also have a great QB.  Ted Thompson is a good GM in GB. They have a good coach and QB as well.

It's pretty arrogant of you to pretend Pioli is average after sitting side by side with BB for 10 years. 2-3 years to make it happen is delusional on the part of Hunt, especially after sitting there with Marty Schottenheimer as your coach for 10 years, thinking it was a great idea.

Again, Clark Hunt is cheap and never really paid for a coach there, until now.

[/QUOTE]

Two to three years to make it happen? Pioli had 4 years...hired not one, but two coaches. He traded for a "franchise QB"...what happened was both coaches failed miserably and the franchise QB turned out to be one of the five worst quarterbacks in the NFL. Does that equate to good? You want to give this guy another four years? Maybe let him hire another coach? Maybe they can pay more for a "better" coach and have the highest paid coach to go along with the highest paid GM? 

The guy failed - he admitted to that today. It doesn't mean he can't balance a check book or iron his pants - it just means what we've been telling you all along...you need the QB (Brady) and the coach. If you have neither, it won't matter about fiscal responsibility or value...you won't win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Pioli is highly respected throughout the league and will find a job immediately.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like so many get jobs because of their time with Brady, but without him, they do squat, and that includes BB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You just stated what I said above. You need a coach. You need an owner. We have Kraft and BB here. It just so happens we also have a great QB.  Ted Thompson is a good GM in GB. They have a good coach and QB as well.

It's pretty arrogant of you to pretend Pioli is average after sitting side by side with BB for 10 years. 2-3 years to make it happen is delusional on the part of Hunt, especially after sitting there with Marty Schottenheimer as your coach for 10 years, thinking it was a great idea.

Again, Clark Hunt is cheap and never really paid for a coach there, until now.

[/QUOTE]

Two to three years to make it happen? Pioli had 4 years...hired not one, but two coaches. He traded for a "franchise QB"...what happened was both coaches failed miserably and the franchise QB turned out to be one of the five worst quarterbacks in the NFL. Does that equate to good? You want to give this guy another four years? Maybe let him hire another coach? Maybe they can pay more for a "better" coach and have the highest paid coach to go along with the highest paid GM? 

The guy failed - he admitted to that today. It doesn't mean he can't balance a check book or iron his pants - it just means what we've been telling you all along...you need the QB (Brady) and the coach. If you have neither, it won't matter about fiscal responsibility or value...you won't win.

[/QUOTE]

That, and at least 3 other excellent players, 6-7 really good players, and another 10 good players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pioli is bill Parcells son in law.    He won't have a problem finding work. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree Phil...could see Pioli and "Dad" becoming a package.  Parcells wanted a front office exec job in the NFL inner circle...the Mara's, Kraft's and Jones's said...go to the hell