Players or Scheme

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Players or Scheme

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/2005-01-24-team-concept_x.htm

Remember when it was argued if it was the players or the scheme that made the Patriots so successful?

Back in 2005, New England, with a 14-2 record for the second year in a row, had just four players named to the AFC's Pro Bowl squad — Brady, Seymour, Vinatieri and Izzo. Their opponent in Super Bowl XXXIX, the Philadelphia Eagles, had nine players selected for the NFC's all-star squad.

After defeating the Eagles in the super bowl, they were declared a dynasty after winning 3 of 4 superbowls and 32 of 34 games.

They had better players than they got recognized for.

Rodney Harrison said, "No one gives us individual players respect. They say it's all a scheme. We all have something to prove."

They had a core of draftees from the Parcells, Carroll and Belichick regimes. They added a strategic collection of free agents.

When they needed a score they scored. When they needed a stop they made the stop.

I think we now know it was the players that made the scheme successful.

The Patriots need to find players who rise to the occasion.

With another good draft and some well placed free agents who knows?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Re: Players or Scheme

NOT ONE PATRIOT on the team of the decade!! not even Viniateri. The people who decide this  have an agenda and it's named ***gate

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wow! I didn't know that, GAME. That's a travesty! No respect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

One more reason NOT to watch the Pro bowl when they announce it. at least USA got it right when it announced Brady QB of the decade!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-01-28-all-decade-qbs-tom-brady_N.htm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

At least USA Today got it right--Brady QB of the decade

eyton has the better stats — but it's the big games that matter," said former Pro Bowl tight end Shannon Sharpe, now a CBS analyst. "For the longest time, Peyton couldn't win the big one."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-01-28-all-decade-qbs-tom-brady_N.htm

at least Sharpe played  the game so he knows!! not like the dirtbag media people like King and Boston's own Ron Borges who published he would vote for Manning.

for all the talk about Warners great story right now, isn't Brady's the best one. I guess it's just the "flavor of the month" and right now Peyton is it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i dont see why it cant be a combination of players and scheme... the patriots had players who were GREAT for that PARTICULAR SCHEME... would have been good elsewhere, but not great... i.e. Mike Vrabel --- Steelers (ehh), the Pats (WOAH!), then Chiefs (ehh).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Ahhh 2004, those were the days.  But nothing lasts forever.  Let's just enjoy every game - win, lose or worse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think players, I haven't seen a lot of brilliant schemes.  Every team lines up in formations that have been done before, and runs plays that have been done before.  For the most part I think coaching is more about managing time, and preparing players for the plays that will be run. 

When I look back at my younger days the best coaches were the ones who made us understand the plan and prepared us to execute it.  It's not that the plan was brilliant or original, we just knew what we were supposed to do so it was like a well oiled machine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Attack, Attack, Attack -Thats what I want our D to become. Bend don't break s4$ks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

The past 3 years have proven it wasn't scheme (at least not a scheme BB drew up). I can't remember the last time the defense made a stop that impressed me. 2005?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

both. You need playmakers at the right time. Other teams have adapted to BBs schemes, but the Patriots haven't been progressive enough to change their schemes to win games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The scheme hasen't changed and we still haven't won a Super Bowl since 04.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i am with bubba, you need both. you need good players who can execute the schemes and you need to be progressive with schemes so tehre is always some guessing that other teams have to do when playing the pats.

tcal, isn't their lack of sb wins since 04 proof perhaps that those old schemes do not work anymore, becasue other teams have seen them enough to have figured out how to react? it actually changed back in 07 when moss and welker joined the team. even the schemes desgined for those two have become predictable.