Players Pats passed on that they will regret later...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

Players Pats passed on that they will regret later...

These are all players patriots could have taken in the draft that they decided to pass on which will end up being big mistakes down the road.....

Rey Maualuga ILB
    Clay Mathews OLB
    Clint Sintim OLB
    Paul Kruger OLB (I really liked him)
    Lawrence Sidburry OLB
    Jasper Brinkley ILB (was still available in 5th round!!!!!!)
    Victor "macho" Harris DB (also was available in 5th round)
    Scott Mckillop ILB (5th round)

Heres a list of guys they passed on in the last few drafts when they wouldn't take LB's in the early rounds......

2007 - Pats take Merriweather 23rd overal.....
    Jon Beason ILB (Carolina picked 24th)
    Paul Posluzny LB (34th, great player!)
    David Harris ILB (47th pick great rookie season for jets, hurt last year)
    LaMarr Woodley OLB (46th pick, great pass rusher!!)
    Justin Durant LB (48th 2nd round, good player for Jaguars)

2006 - Took Maroney 21st in 1st round......

Demeco Ryans LB (33rd pick made pro bowl rookie season i think)
    D'Qwell Jackson ILB (34th pick, been very good for Browns 3-4 D)
    Rocky McIntosh LB (35th pick by Wash)
    Patriots traded up to 36 pick to take Chad Jackson!!!
    Thomas Howard LB (38th pick by Oak very good outside linebacker)
    Daryll Tapp DE/LB (63rd last in 2nd round, could play outside LB in 3-4)
    Other good LB's were drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that year....Leon Williams by browns, has been productive LB for them

Lofa Tatupu ILB (2nd round , pro bowler)
    Kevin Burnett LB (2nd round, very good for Cowboys)
    Matt McCoy LB (2nd round, had break out year for Eagles this year)
    Odell Thurman ILB (2nd round, great rookie year, suspended now 3 years in a row, maybe not if with patriots)
    Barrett Ruud (2nd round, good player for Tampa)
    Channing Crowder (3rd round, Miami)
    Kirk Morrison(3rd round Oakland, very good player, ranked a 92 in Madden!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Re: Players Pats passed on that they will regret later...

[QUOTE]These are all players patriots could have taken in the draft that they decided to pass on which will end up being big mistakes down the road..... Rey Maualuga ILB Clay Mathews OLB Clint Sintim OLB Paul Kruger OLB (I really liked him) Lawrence Sidburry OLB Jasper Brinkley ILB (was still available in 5th round!!!!!!) Victor "macho" Harris DB (also was available in 5th round) Scott Mckillop ILB (5th round) Heres a list of guys they passed on in the last few drafts when they wouldn't take LB's in the early rounds...... 2007 - Pats take Merriweather 23rd overal..... Jon Beason ILB (Carolina picked 24th) Paul Posluzny LB (34th, great player!) David Harris ILB (47th pick great rookie season for jets, hurt last year) LaMarr Woodley OLB (46th pick, great pass rusher!!) Justin Durant LB (48th 2nd round, good player for Jaguars) 2006 - Took Maroney 21st in 1st round...... Demeco Ryans LB (33rd pick made pro bowl rookie season i think) D'Qwell Jackson ILB (34th pick, been very good for Browns 3-4 D) Rocky McIntosh LB (35th pick by Wash) Patriots traded up to 36 pick to take Chad Jackson!!! Thomas Howard LB (38th pick by Oak very good outside linebacker) Daryll Tapp DE/LB (63rd last in 2nd round, could play outside LB in 3-4) Other good LB's were drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that year....Leon Williams by browns, has been productive LB for them 2005 Lofa Tatupu ILB (2nd round , pro bowler) Kevin Burnett LB (2nd round, very good for Cowboys) Matt McCoy LB (2nd round, had break out year for Eagles this year) Odell Thurman ILB (2nd round, great rookie year, suspended now 3 years in a row, maybe not if with patriots) Barrett Ruud (2nd round, good player for Tampa) Channing Crowder (3rd round, Miami) Kirk Morrison(3rd round Oakland, very good player, ranked a 92 in Madden!)
    Posted by Wingman23[/QUOTE]

Great post, however BB is still the man and I trust his insticts. The thing that cost us two superbowls was a crappy secondary. I would like to have Beason, Demeco Ryans, and Tatupu

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

We have still been in the playoffs every year ....except last year of course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Great post, however BB is still the man and I trust his insticts. They thing that cost us two superbowls was a crappy secondary. I would like to have Beason, Demeco Ryans, and Tatupu
    Posted by crono420[/QUOTE]

you can go down the list of every draft at every position and say that about every team and players drafted. its irrelevant. some players arent a fit for the system and some turned out better than people expected thats what just happens. too many what if's or COULD have beens. no point at looking at the past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

If we could pick last years class this year, we would all be a genius.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]These are all players patriots could have taken in the draft that they decided to pass on which will end up being big mistakes down the road..... Rey Maualuga ILB Clay Mathews OLB Clint Sintim OLB Paul Kruger OLB (I really liked him) Lawrence Sidburry OLB Jasper Brinkley ILB (was still available in 5th round!!!!!!) Victor "macho" Harris DB (also was available in 5th round) Scott Mckillop ILB (5th round) Heres a list of guys they passed on in the last few drafts when they wouldn't take LB's in the early rounds...... 2007 - Pats take Merriweather 23rd overal..... Jon Beason ILB (Carolina picked 24th) Paul Posluzny LB (34th, great player!) David Harris ILB (47th pick great rookie season for jets, hurt last year) LaMarr Woodley OLB (46th pick, great pass rusher!!) Justin Durant LB (48th 2nd round, good player for Jaguars) 2006 - Took Maroney 21st in 1st round...... Demeco Ryans LB (33rd pick made pro bowl rookie season i think) D'Qwell Jackson ILB (34th pick, been very good for Browns 3-4 D) Rocky McIntosh LB (35th pick by Wash) Patriots traded up to 36 pick to take Chad Jackson!!! Thomas Howard LB (38th pick by Oak very good outside linebacker) Daryll Tapp DE/LB (63rd last in 2nd round, could play outside LB in 3-4) Other good LB's were drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that year....Leon Williams by browns, has been productive LB for them 2005 Lofa Tatupu ILB (2nd round , pro bowler) Kevin Burnett LB (2nd round, very good for Cowboys) Matt McCoy LB (2nd round, had break out year for Eagles this year) Odell Thurman ILB (2nd round, great rookie year, suspended now 3 years in a row, maybe not if with patriots) Barrett Ruud (2nd round, good player for Tampa) Channing Crowder (3rd round, Miami) Kirk Morrison(3rd round Oakland, very good player, ranked a 92 in Madden!)

This is too easy. WAY too easy...

Hey, Einstein! IU see you're a glitz and gadget kind of guy. Take a look at your post and tells me what pops out at you. Well, not you, 'cause you wrote it. But to the NORMAL fan. Give up? Everyplayer you names that's "better" than the Pats selection, and I mean EVERY PLAYER, didn't play the same position. Go ahead, take another look at your drivel. Tell us how Demarco Ryans is a better RB than Maroney, or how  any of the LB's would have played a better DB than Merriweather. I believe BB drafted pplayers for NEED.

While you're at it, I believe you next post should be "How The NFL Blew It" by showing how the teams that didn't draft any of your wish list players REALLY blew it. Now thatwould be interesting to read.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I won't miss one of those players. Matthews, Maualuga, and Cushing were all over-rated. Well, as it turns out Maualuga was so over-rated because he ended up sitting around a while.

None of those players would do anything but chew up a bunch of money on this squad while competing for a job. I said it before the draft, USC linebackers this year were tremendously over-rated. I am glad Ne saw it the same way.

Kruger could have been a decent value at #58, but hewas picked at #57 and I wouldn't have picked him any higher than where he went. And I certainly wouldn't take him over Chung, Butler or Brace.

Trust me. In five years people are going to say Clay Matthews? Wasn't he a linebacker for the Browns? And Cushing who?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

most of the LB's i listed either do play in a 3-4 or could play in a 3-4(they have the size and speed for it).  And all i was showing is that there have been plenty of good LBs picked early in the last few drafts.  The Patriots up until last year had hardly ever picked a LB before the 4th round because they had felt that you couldn't find a LB to play in a 3-4 in the draft.   Obviously you can, the Steelers and Chargers do it every year, and every year until last year the Pats were missing out on taking very talented young players that could have been learning and developing in the Patriots defense and would have been ready to step in when Bruschi and Vrabel and others started to age. 

The Patriots just havn't drafted very well in the past few years compared to some of the other top teams in the league like the Steelers, Giants, chargers, Eagles, Colts.  Just look at the players they have got in the early rounds and even in the later rounds.  Hopefully this year is different and butler and the others pan out.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

in 2007 a lot of people thought the Pats would take David Harris or LeMarr Woodley with their first pick in the first round, but it turned out that the Patriots weren't as high on them as others were.  Both players ended up having very good careers so far and looking back the Pats would love to have either of them on their team.  I just think the last few years their talent evaluation hasn't been as good as it was several years ago.   They did a good job in picking Merriweather and great job pick Mayo but other than that when it comes to LB's and DB's the past few years they have missed pretty bad. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This arguement has so many holes in it it's not funny.  I had questions about Maualuga, Matthews and Barwin myself.  The Pats passed on Maualuga three times!  That should tell you something.  Sidbury is not an OLB and Harris doesn't fit the system.  Brinkley dropped for a reason.  This is one stupid, selective post.  You could do this comparison with any team in the NFL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The Pats however are the best at drafting QB's

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The Steelers also passed on Meriweather and Woodley that season for Lawrence Timmons who is not as good as either.

So does that make up for it?

Second of all. Players like Demeco Ryans and Posluzny (who isn't better than Meriweather) are not 3-4 ILBs.

Add ten pounds then yes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

With the 23rd pick we got Butler, Tate and a number 2 next year, ooooohhhhhh the horror..

Maybe Bob Kraft should fire BB!

R u kidding me!!
    Every draft there are players who are missed on and who are missed when you play Monday Morning QB, but I wouldn't trade our 9 seasons under BB for any other franchise's results this decade.

6 out of 9 seasons in the playoffs. Two other seasons where we missed the playoffs on tie breakers with combined 20-12 records and 4 tips to the show with 3 VL trophies over the last 9 seasons. Other than the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers & 49ers what team in the NFL wouldn't want 9 years with those result?

Injuries on defense have hurt our team the past 2 seasons and there is nothing you can do about injuries except have depth and very few teams if any have depth of our team.

If Manning, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers or any other top flight starting goes down for an entire season, regardless of who the beat and who they loose to, what other team goes 11-5?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

...you also neglected to mention that the linebacker they took last year (Mayo) was the defensive rookie of the year.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I don't know about you folks but listening to the fabulous linebackers we refused to take this year I had one embarrassing thought. I know you can't judge someones intelligence by how they speak (and that is what was so embarrassing) but they just didn't sound as intelligent as the Pats linebackers do. Was it just me or what?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

BadGuy thats a great point and great use of 1pick. We'll check back on that knee for Tate. I though Mclillop was well worth a 5th Wingman. I see what your saying with the thread. Ever pick seem to be followed by a sexier pick just a few past where we were. But let's not forget BB&Co. worked out several of the top guy's. Michael Oher seem to be worth the 23.He was said to be top ten. Vontae Davis dropped all the way to 25 and we'll see him twice a year. He was like top 15 picks on mocks all around. Who saw Everette Brown in the 2nd rd?  Most here said 34 was a reach for Chung and safety was not a top need. And Chung was the Pats BPA at 34. Who had Vollmer over Beatty? We could have had our pick of any TE's at the point we took Tate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The Pats have drafted pretty well overall since BB took over. Everybody misses some. The Colts probably thought they were set when they drafted Addai, but their first pick in this draft was a RB. Six players in the top 100 should give us 2-3 solid and maybe star players. Good draft. Great trades. Glad Hobbs is gone as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFan1979. Show PatsFan1979's posts

I got two words for you:  Pat White

if he's as good in the Wildcat as Ronnie Brown is, then we're gonna have a lot of problems with Miami

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats have drafted pretty well overall since BB took over. Everybody misses some. The Colts probably thought they were set when they drafted Addai, but their first pick in this draft was a RB. Six players in the top 100 should give us 2-3 solid and maybe star players. Good draft. Great trades. Glad Hobbs is gone as well.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]
    Certainly was a better pick than Maroney.  Won a superbowl.  But has he been edgerrin James or Marshall Faulk - No.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Wing:

You're getting a bit carried away, my friend. I too wanted Maualuga. But, none of us know why that the Patriots, and every other team, passed on him. Could it have been because he tested positive for weed or 'roids at the Combine? A complete list of the players who did has yet to be released.

As for the other players you listed, Sidbury is weak against the run. Clay     Matthews appears to be a fine prospect...but BB evidently is happy with young, developing LBs Pierre Woods, Crable, Guton, and Redd. By trading down from the 26th pick (where Matthews was selected), the Pats acquired the 41st overall pick (which they used to select CB Darius Butler), the 73rd overall pick (which they subsequently traded for Jacksonville's 2nd round pick in 2010), and the 83rd pick (used as part of the trade to move up to the 40th overall pick, and select NT Ron Brace).

Sintim and Kruger are good players...but I would part with either Butler or Brace for either of them. As for Brinkley and McKillop, the Pats took LB Tyrone McKenzie, who is projected as an ILB prospect. 

Macho Harris is an interesting prospect, but he lacks the speed necessary to play in an NFL secondary. Besides, the Pats already have a guy who can fill the tweener safety/LB role on the roster...Tank Williams.

As for the 2007 draft in which the Pats took Meriweather over either Woodley or Harris, hindsight is always 20/20. But, Meriweather started to come on last season, and may yet develop into a very good player. 

Maroney from 2006 has had his moments. Everybody was happy with that pick at the time. Joseph Addai and Maurice Jones-Drew probably would have been better selections. As for DeMeco Ryans, hes' a fine player, but is a bit small for a 3-4 ILB. He plays in a 4-3.   

You can't knock the 2005 draft. Lofa Tatupu?? Too small for a 3-4 LB. Besides, would you rather have seen the Pats take him, or multi-time Pro Bowl guard, Logan Mankins? Burnett was cast adrift by the Cowboys, and signed as a free agent with San Diego. Odell Thurman?? Surely you jest. Channing Crowder's career is dangling in the balance due to numerous injuries to both knees. Thats' why so many teams passed on him. Kirk Morrison scored a 92 in Madden??? The Pats added two other starters in the 2005 draft...RT Nick Kaczur, and the now departed CB, Ellis Hobbs. The only player from 2005 who really would have helped is Barrett Rudd, who was picked extremely early in round two, right behind Mankins. Again, I'd rather have Mankins.   

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

One of the site old guard had a good point.....look where the USC LBs landed...at one of the other premier 3-4 teams?...no...Pitt, SD, Balt all passed as well....Houston @ 15, GB @ 26 and Cincy @38

The SI cover this week...bing, bang, bust!