Playoff game against the Ravens does NOT mean we are doomed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Playoff game against the Ravens does NOT mean we are doomed.

Quite a bit of commentary about how we must be bad because the Ravens dominated us in the playoffs.  I have commented on this a bit, but wanted a separate, hopefully rational, conversation about it.  First, I can point to games in Superbowl winning seasons where a team dominated us.  Opening game of 2003 we were embarrassed by the Bills.  End of the same year, beat them just as badly.  Were we bad?  Nope.  Did we fix it?  Yep.  2004 destroyed by the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Beat them in the playoffs.  Sometimes you have the wrong mentality, wrong gameplan, wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Our record last year I think was fairly indicative of what we were, good, and if things went our way, capable of doing it all.  We did, after all, beat the super mighty wonderful Jets the second time around.  The Ravens were good, but if we met them again the next week, we could have beaten them.  It was just a loss in a bad spot to lose, and that makes it seem worse.  Lets stop burying a good team, that just got alot better this year.  Maybe to the Ravens, who continually were frustrated by us, it meant alot, but it was just another playoff loss.  That is all.  Nobody says it can't happen.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Playoff game against the Ravens does NOT mean we are doomed.

That's exactly what I give this team.. (a chance) at getting to the playoffs and making noise.  That's pretty much all you could ask for, for any team you root for. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I expect to win the division.  I expect to win the first playoff game.  I think we are good enough to think of that as a given.  Sounds crazy?  Not to me.  Talent, scheme, and division opponents make me feel that all this is 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Troy, by the way you're my favortie patriot of all time, but after 07' I don't expect $h!t... just hope my team gives me a game.  Of course, I want them to win, but I'm done expecting things til they show me I should start thinking that way. 

And it doesn't sound crazy, I'm just waiting for them to show me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

that game was a wake up call, that BB needed to improve the team on offense and defense. i think they are better focused this year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I get ya, really.  I dont want to be a "yeah, but" guy, but here is my issue with our past performance.... 2007?  we almost won it all, but lack of multiple threats made us too easy to shut down, and that  pass rush the giants put on us, charlie weiss would have just dismantled it with movement and screens.  So, talent an issue a bit there, but scheme more than anything.  Last half of that season, in fact, scheme was an issue, and we should have seen that and corrected that right away.  Eagles and Ravens game were the warnings.  2008.  Well, heck, how many teams can bring in a backup and not get creamed?  Not too many, and where we lost, it was often involving wildcat type offense, or no huddle offense, against our d, and on offense Cassel needed more time at first to go through his reads, and didn't get it.  He got better.  Still 11-5 and improved alot, who knows what we would have done in the playoffs.  Last year, how many guys just flat gone without much notice?  A bunch.  Brady first year back from knee, and everyone said, going to be tough, look at Carson Palmer and see it take a year to get it all back.  And that showed.  Still one dimensional, 2nd receiver didn't work out, running backs .. eh.  Defense young, out of place often, but some bright spots, Mayo hurt, still we went 10-6.
    As badly as things went, we played many young guys, had some success, came close to beating the colts, and got to the playoffs.  the ravens had exactly the right stuff and plan to beat us, and did.  Now, Brady is better.  Offensive talent is there.  Scheme already is better.  Defense is healthy, has experience, and looks fast and capable, a few issues, but not bad.  I think whatever we had last year, minus some baggage, plus 3 tight ends, 2 linebackers, 2 wide receiver, alot of offensive and defensive experience, removal of dean pees, equals better record and result.  This seems logical to me.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

And, its hard to win the Superbowl, but ask some teams (Lions, Bills, Raiders, etc) and they will tell you its hard to even make the playoffs.  We did the former 3 times in 10 years, and the latter 8 times in 10 years.  Not too shabby.  Some of the stuff that was an issue (tight end) in 2005 was and issue last year.  So, we had a few down years in there, 2007 we got somewhere, we are on an upward arc here now.  My original point, one game does not, and has not defined our opportunity to succeed.  We are all smarter and more experience with this team than to jump onto the espn/take your pick of writers bandwagon off the cliff. Superbowl teams aren't elected.  They fight and win to get there.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

That's history Baby. Just because we sukkked in a few games last year doesn't mean it will happen again..This team had major problems with the fundamentals(Blocking & Tackling) last year and it appears to be a major point of focus in training camp because they did it pretty well against N.O. 12 wins this year and a good shot at a division sweep.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What the Ravens did was physically beat the Pats at the point of attack. On offense, they identified an area they could exploit and did so, and the Pats had nothing in response. Defensively, I seem to remember somebody -- Suggs or Lewis, I think -- mentioning before the game that the Ravens' D had a long list of keys on the Pats that they were confident they could identify, and that turned out to be the case. The Pats' offense (as many here have pointed out), had become far too predictable, both through a lack  of adequate weapons and the limited repetoire of Bill O'Brien.

I'm less worried about the offense this season. Josh McDaniels had his growing pains (at the worst possible moment in time) and eventually shed his parochial view of offense, and I expect O'Brien will, as well. I'm far more concerned about the defense. My problem with The Incredible Expanding Cushion Defense is that it spends too much time on the field. I'm not going to bother looking up the sats -- I'm one of those guys who thinks you can find a stat to support anything you want to say -- but while you might make the argument that the Pats don't give up an inordinate number of points, it's also true that they've had trouble getting off the field on third down. If the Pats allow teams to "smashmouth" them the way the Ravens did, Brady and company are going to spend far too much time on the sidelines watching the defense trying to catch its breath.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

As I recall Edelman was playing football and there were 10 other guys on the field watching the clouds go by. 

Not much to say about that game other than it's over.  But, no the egg they layed in that game does not mean they are doomed this year anymore than the string of strong performances in 03 and 04 kept them from laying and egg against Denver in 05.

Besides, half the guys on the team couldn't grow pubic hair during the Pats last SB win.  Baggage (good or bad) isn't being carried by the players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Bullit (sp?) said after the famous 4th and 2 (which I personally loved) that in that situation, they knew either Faulk or Welker would get the ball.  Pretty easy to defend what you know is coming, and still, if Brady places the pass a bit differently, its over, and a win.  For me, and from comments in different places in the forum, for a large number of us, that offensive staleness lack of precision totally exposed a defense that was still working through some things.  I'm fairly confident that the improvements will carry the day, and we will again take our place atop the pile.  I try to remember what the first 4 letters of analyst are this time of year when people keep raining doom on our heads, and crowning paper champs.