Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning

Their brand of defense is unique which is why I think they are able to land the players they need to run the thing.  They also seem to be able to pick up the football player and are not allured to the combine numbers like most are.  For a team that does little or nothing in FA they sure can reload.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning:
    Their brand of defense is unique which is why I think they are able to land the players they need to run the thing.  They also seem to be able to pick up the football player and are not allured to the combine numbers like most are.  For a team that does little or nothing in FA they sure can reload.
    Posted by garytx

Agreed. Got to give Polian his props. Since the Colts have been so successful, I wonder why other teams haven't tried to emulate their defensive style?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Their D over the past decade has not been dominant. That's why teams have not tried to copy it. Teams have been leaning towards the 34 because the Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots all run the 34. The Ravens, Patriots and Steelers all had dominant Defenses this decade.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

True, Indy's defense has mostly been mediocre at best over the decade. They have had little spurts of good defense, but there is little consistency. Their run defense is usually pretty bad, and Freeney and Bob Sanders tend to get injured quite often which hurts them as well. Their defense is overrated. It's Peyton Manning and their offense that's their best defense. When they score almost every drive it forces the opposing offense to becoming one dimensional, where the rushing the passer philosophy could be used here. However, most teams don't have the luxury of a great offense to do that. Remember 2007 when Brady put everyone behind by about 20 points at the half? Teams were forced to pass the ball and it was easier to stop offenses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I would say the Colts' defense has been as good as, if not better than, their offense the last part of this decade, and that Peyton owes a lot to them:

Points per game:  Defense / Offense

2009 - 19.2 (8th)   / 26 (9th)
    2008 - 18.6 (7th)   / 23.6 (13th)
    2007 - 16.4 (1st)   / 28.1 (3rd)

And all their playoff losses were on Peyton. 

2009 v NO:  Defense gave up 24 points; Peyton scored net 17-7=10
    2008 v SD:  23-17
    2007 v SD:  28-24
    2005 v PIT:  21-18
    2004 v NE:  20-3
    2003 v NE:  24-14
    2002 v Jests: 41-0

In the only blowout, Peyton scored zero points!  The Colts' defense has been largely responsible for Manning's success this decade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I would say the Colts' defense has been as good as, if not better than, their offense the last part of this decade, and that Peyton owes a lot to them: Points per game:  Defense / Offense 2009 - 19.2 (8th)   / 26 (9th) 2008 - 18.6 (7th)   / 23.6 (13th) 2007 - 16.4 (1st)   / 28.1 (3rd) And all their playoff losses were on Peyton.  2009 v NO:  Defense gave up 24 points; Peyton scored net 17-7=10 2008 v SD:  23-17 2007 v SD:  28-24 2005 v PIT:  21-18 2004 v NE:  20-3 2003 v NE:  24-14 2002 v Jests: 41-0 In the only blowout, Peyton scored zero points!  The Colts' defense has been largely responsible for Manning's success this decade.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Completely wrong, but don't let that harsh your fantasy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Their D is a joke. There pass rush leads to winning theory is exactly why they dont win when it counts. They dont know how to stop the run because all their players are built to rush the passer. Tony D and his Tampa Two defense *SUCK balls. I have never liked this style of play and i never will. I live and breath defense its all i ever wanted to play i had no interest at all as a kid in the offense so when i say watching the Colts play defense makes me want to *puke please know that I have seen many a bad defense and none make me sick as much as that puss puss style of D they play in Indy.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Seriously, killa . . .   tell us how you really feel.Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Their D is a joke. There pass rush leads to winning theory is exactly why they dont win when it counts. They dont know how to stop the run because all their players are built to rush the passer. Tony D and his Tampa Two defense *SUCK balls. I have never liked this style of play and i never will. I live and breath defense its all i ever wanted to play i had no interest at all as a kid in the offense so when i say watching the Colts play defense makes me want to *puke please know that I have seen many a bad defense and none make me sick as much as that puss puss style of D they play in Indy.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

That puss puss style has kicked your team's a*s 5 of the last 6 time.  Better to fight like a cat than fold like a paper towel as BB did with his D last year.  I'll take puss puss every day, if Belichick's trust in his D is the only other alternative.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : It's also why they rank near the bottom in Run D almost every year.  Very easy team to play against if you have a balanced attack.  If you are a one dimensional offense with a weak running game, they'll dominate you. They're lucky theyr drew Chicago in the Super Bowl in 2006 though. Pats torched them last year without Welker.  They're overrated and so is Polian. Let me know when Freeney makes a tackle against the run.  Has Bob Sanders played a game in the last 2 years?
    Posted by russgriswold

And yet no answer for the colts domination of the pats over the past 5 years. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'll just say it this way Super Bowls BB 4,3 wins! Colts one and they needed the refs to call a PI to get to it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : It's also why they rank near the bottom in Run D almost every year.  Very easy team to play against if you have a balanced attack.  If you are a one dimensional offense with a weak running game, they'll dominate you. They're lucky theyr drew Chicago in the Super Bowl in 2006 though. Pats torched them last year without Welker.  They're overrated and so is Polian. Let me know when Freeney makes a tackle against the run.  Has Bob Sanders played a game in the last 2 years?
    Posted by russgriswold

It's a unique defense nonetheless.  I believe it does have a lot to do with the offensive juggernaut that they have.  Teams are forced to go to the air.  There's also got to be something to this defense.  You're not going to beat them running the ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Winning?  Winning what exactly?  One title? With Manning and that offense, one title?  Please. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning:
         Here's an excellent article on the defensive philosophy of the Indianapolis Colts...which has served them so well this past decade: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2010m5d11-Indianapolis-Colts-2010-offseason-analysis-A-preOTA-look-at-the-defensive-ends  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Not only do they have one decent pass rusher....they got two in Mathis and Freeney.  Plus, their secondary ain't so bad either.  They've also got one of the best offensive lines for qb protection - resulting in fewer sacks/pressures on the QB.

IMHO, the Patriots and Colts have swapped roles.  The colts used to be a high flying offense w/ no D while the Pats were known as a decent scorer, and very good d.  Now, the Patriots can score pretty well - but their D is shaky.

There's a reason why we haven't won many games recently vs. Colts....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Winning?  Winning what exactly?  One title? With Manning and that offense, one title?  Please. 
    Posted by 123meg

Having sound winning records year in and year out.  The playoffs are a different story.  Manning tends to fold in the playoffs and one might point to the defensive shortcomings of the defense in the SB loss.  But, the talk is really about the Colts defense which is very different from others in the NFL. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Buffalo and Minnesota are two teams that pop into my mind as having great season teams but always seemed to come up short.  At least Indy has won one SB and the real SB that year was the game before that really.  I drift a bit here.  I think that's what the Colts get praise for.  The season.  When it comes to the playoffs the past misses come right to the front.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

if the colts d has been so good how come they dont have more superbowls...

the reason they compete all the time is their quarterback... their d is ok but they couldnt stop us last year without help from the refs...

thats where polian does his best work...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Posted by 123meg

Hmmm - How many titles did BB win with his vaunted record breaking offense? - None.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : Exactly. I didn't even read the responses and you and I said almost the exact same thing. What's comical to me is Tony Dungy is supposed to be this defensive guru and he had medicore to bad defenses for years.  
    Posted by russgriswold

Great defenses are all about personnel - not scheme.  If you need an example, you need look no further than your own team.

When the O was mediocre but the d personnel was great, the pats won.  Now with better O personnel and mediocre d personnel, what do the pats have to show for it?  Nada.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : It's a unique defense nonetheless.  I believe it does have a lot to do with the offensive juggernaut that they have.  Teams are forced to go to the air.  There's also got to be something to this defense.  You're not going to beat them running the ball.
    Posted by garytx

this is correct.  And while effective, imo the philosophy is still flawed. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Manning blew the Super Bowl with the terrible pick, not the defense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : Hmmm - How many titles did BB win with his vaunted record breaking offense? - None.
    Posted by underdoggg

Last time I checked Belichick has 3.  Manning/Polian?  Tied with Trent Dilfer. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : It's the classic case of being built for the regular season or being built for the more physical playoffs. How on earth people praise Polian for his 9-9 One and Done teams, I have no idea.
    Posted by russgriswold

This has to be the mpst overused and overvalued phrase in football.  "Built for the playoffs", really?  In Football?  How'd that work when Brady went down?  How about Welker? 

When is someone simply going to admit that the pats had one of the best D's in football in the first half of the decade and that combined with some good fortune, a great QB and a clutch kicker as well as a few illicit videotapes are what won them superbowls. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning:
         Here's an excellent article on the defensive philosophy of the Indianapolis Colts...which has served them so well this past decade: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2010m5d11-Indianapolis-Colts-2010-offseason-analysis-A-preOTA-look-at-the-defensive-ends  
    Posted by TexasPat3

"One important aspect to remember when projecting Hughes' effectiveness next season is it may be unrealistic to expect a Freeney-Mathis-caliber player this season, certainly in the beginning."

Substitute Hughes's name for Adalius Thomas and you can see how ridiculous their expectations are. They're going to find the next Freeney at the 30th pick. Ha ha.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Polian "D" Formula: Rushing the Passer = Winning : This has to be the mpst overused and overvalued phrase in football.  "Built for the playoffs", really?  In Football?  How'd that work when Brady went down?  How about Welker?  When is someone simply going to admit that the pats had one of the best D's in football in the first half of the decade and that combined with some good fortune, a great QB and a clutch kicker as well as a few illicit videotapes are what won them superbowls. 
    Posted by underdoggg

Until you drop the reference to the spygate BS, no one here is going to take you seriously. Everyone here knows it was a NY media created phenomenon, used in an attempt to slow down the Patriots' juggernaut...something that the Jets couldn't hope to do.

Furthermore, what "good fortune" are you referring to? The Pats outplayed, and physically destroyed your Ponies in 2003 and 2004...the Rams in SB 36, and the Steelers and Eagles in 2004. Luck had nothing to do with it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Thank god Bob Sanders is injured half the time, he would be too good if he was healty all the time and the Colts might actually have more then 1 SB win

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Thank god Bob Sanders is injured half the time, he would be too good if he was healty all the time and the Colts might actually have more then 1 SB win
    Posted by TateGroup

Agreed. The reason he's been hurt so often is that the Colts used him like another LB. Sanders is listed at 5'8", 206 lbs.. Eventually, all those collisions with much bigger bodies took its' toll.

Here are his stats:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/bobsanders/profile?id=SAN287153